Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  What to do with older TVs and microwaves
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with older TVs and microwaves Sign In/Join 
Picture of weakestlink
posted
I have several older TVs and microwave ovens. I tried selling the at what I consider "giveaway" prices and received no buyers. I kept reducing the price until it WAS give away and still no takers. The Salvation Army won't even take them. They are taking up a lot of space. What can I do with them?

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We have a "collection day" in our county a couple of times a year. It is a "no charge" day where you take your unwanted items to a central location and they get recycled for various parts, pieces & metals.
You could call your local disposal service (garbage collector) and find out if they do something like that or they might be able to tell you where to safely dispose of those items.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
We had a very big t.v. that was in good working order just not digital.

It was heavy so we were concerned about moving it ourselves. Our town will only let you take them to the transfer station and leave them for a fee.

Goodwill would take it and it took some strategy to get it into the car ourselves.

Check with your county about the disposal of such items. We can leave microwaves at our transfer station.

Posts: 12152 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of weakestlink
posted Hide Post
Our garbage service does have a "junk" day, but it's $10 for a carload (and $20 for a standard size pickup truck) no matter how many or few items you have, and you have to bring it to the collection point. I'll be muggled if I have to pay extra to dispose of these when I'm paying close to $40 a month already for garbage service and have to lug these heavy items there.

Posts: 590 | Location: upstate New York, USA | Registered: Mar 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Our county also has a collection day a couple of times a year where we can bring old electronics, old paints and other hazardous materials. There is no charge. We've done that several times. Our garbage collection service will pick up heavy items from the curb if you call them, but I don't know if they'd take the TV.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6213 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weakest, they are truly the white elephants of today's world as no one wants them. If you can't find a collection point you will have to pay the money to get rid of them. The prices you quoted are not excessive or unreasonable.

Posts: 3054 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are they working at all? If so, have you tried Freecyle? You could list them there and even do a search to see if anyone has posted that they're looking for one of those items.

Otherwise, recycling is your best best. Do a search for recycling services in your area, I'm sure you'll find some free options. Around here, they typically ask for a $10 donation for computers. I've never heard of donations requested for other items.

Posts: 616 | Location: Indianapolis | Registered: Nov 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Does not sound that unreasonable to me either. Much depends on local landfill prices and what is typical in your area for disposal of medium and large electronics. Perhaps you can get rid of one per week in normal trash pickup?

Posts: 9431 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Please don't just trash them. There are chemicals in the electronics that are pollutants.

You should visit the website of NY State's Dept. of Environmental Conservation - dec.ny.gov . They talk about the 2010 Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act that states:
"The NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act was signed into law on May 28, 2010. The law will ensure that every New Yorker will have the opportunity to recycle their electronic waste in an environmentally responsible manner."
The site includes a list of all electronics recyclers in the state. Not all may have drop-off points; some may charge fees, others may not. You gotta do the legwork to find places to handle it for you at the lowest cost.

I'm fortunate to live where there is a private non-profit organization that will accept a wide variety of electronics, appliances, etc, most for no fee at all. Perhaps there's some sort of place like that where you are, but you just have to find it.

Wishing you luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nettiejay,

Posts: 4343 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16488 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I checked New York for recycling the items you want to donate. This is for Rochester

http://rochesterenvironment.com/recycling.htm

There is a link on the above website that has a list of what can be donated and who accepts it.

http://rochesterenvironment.co...ecycle_%20Reuse.html

New York also recommends this website. Click on e-wishing well.

http://www.ecofreek.com/give.php

This message has been edited. Last edited by: still tryin,

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they working at all? If so, have you tried Freecyle?

I did and did not get a nibble. Good will was best but we had to deliver it.

Posts: 12152 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Somebody must want them. I've seen both microwave ovens and CRT TVs for sale on Craigslist and in the Pennysaver. I placed a broken microwave out for curbside collection on the night before our scheduled trash collection day and someone took it before it could be picked up.

I also placed a broken CRT TV out for curbside collection and someone took that before the trash was picked-up. I couldn't figure out who would want a broken old style TV so I did an internet search if there was any valuable recyclable materials and all I found out was there is lead in the glass screen. I also found several forums and website where people were complaining that they didn't like the new High Definition TVs and they wanted the manufactures to bring back the old CRT TVs. They didn't like that you can tell when an actor is wearing makeup and see every flaw in the actors skin. They didn't like that you could tell when there were computer generated,(CG), special effects and backgrounds. They hated the lack of true blacks and the lack of depth of black and grays in both LED and plasma TVs. They also didn't care that the older TVs used more electricity. They also complained that some programs had a soap opera look when the picture didn't with the old style TV. They complained that they could tell when rocks were fake and the looked like they were made of plastic.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
In our mountain home community even the thrift stores will no longer take the old TV's. Motels/hotels are getting rid of them as they replace with lighter/newer HD tvs, and glutted any of the local give-aways with the old ones. Craig's List was full of them, but of course there are some people think they can still sell them for 20-40 dollars, and the ads sit. Not likely wanted by anyone.

It would be really good to find a recycle place that would take them or the rare person who still wants an old TV. But I would not go way out of my way (if I had as much on my plate as OP has), so the landfill may possibly be the only reasonable option?

Posts: 9431 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
County recycle yearly. $25 per TV, computer, etc.

We tore apart last micro---amazing the assortment of small nuts, bolts, screws we now have. Recycled remaining pieces.

Posts: 5900 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I have been recycling since 1972 ( I am one of the founders of our collection center), so I really dislike just getting rid of stuff. However , Weakest, in your case I would order up a dumpster to be delivered to the curb and just get rid of stuff!

Posts: 3033 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post