Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  getting rid of stuff i dont need
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

getting rid of stuff i dont need Sign In/Join 
posted
I took a car load of stuff to Goodwill today and I was so impressed. I took some stuff when mom died but they had just opened. The woman helped me unload my car and when I told her I had more she said call her and she'd have someone come load it for me if I needed some help. I do have a couple of things that are too heavy for me. They have some books for $2 that look like new and lots of other stuff for resale. Everything was so neat and clean. I hate throwing anything away and don't want to mess with a yard sale.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to get rid of stuff then it is better you keep all that things that are stuff to others neat and clean to your home. If you have the other that you can resale, then you must resale it, it is nice that you do not throw anything out, but if anybody want it to use then give it to person who want to use.

Posts: 31 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kudos to you for being able to donate. The money they make off it goes to a good cause. I was sorting some things for them myself today.

Posts: 662 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Please, don't forget your local abused women's/children's shelters when you donate. Most escape with only the clothes on their backs and when they are ready to go out on their own again...they need EVERYTHING!...including kitchen gadgets, curtains, sheets, towels, etc....clothes are a given!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5065 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I donate to smaller, local thrift stores ever since seeing the news stories last year about the outrageous abuses of disabled workers at Goodwill stores. Many of them make less than $4 per hour, while the executives in charge make up to $1 million - sometimes more - in salaries, bonuses, and travel. There are documented cases of individual workers with disabilities at Goodwill receiving a wage of (unbelievably) just 22 cents an hour.

Posts: 4665 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Donating to any is a good thing. Hurrah for you Sis2.

My charity of choice is the local animal shelters. They are trying to be a no kill or low kill shelter and money can be hard to come by.

Posts: 7255 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
For clothing, have you thought about local nursing homes? Especially for men's clothing. After DDs death, DM asked me to call the nursing home. The administrator said to bring it on. When we delivered she said that some of the men never get anything.

There is a women's shelter in a neighboring town for women and their minor children who are trying to get out of abusive situations. Many of my friends take clothing as well as household items there. In addition to those items being distributed to the women as the are able to get out and set up housekeeping, there's also a thrift store where sales go to the operation of the shelter.

I too have heard disturbing stories about Goodwill. It is not a charity. It is a for profit business. They do hire disable workers at a very low pay. Employees in the stores are paid minimum wage. Executives make high dollar salaries with extravagant perks as nettijay mentioned.

One of the things I've done recently - DS moved back a little over a year ago. He sold most of his stuff including all but his bedroom set (his DD made it in high school shop) where he did live but still brought a lot of things in boxes. After a few months he got a job where he could either spend $ on fuel or $ at an RV park. Because of the travel involved and because we were no longer using our camper, we gave it to him. So for $300 he has trailer space, water, electricity, cable, and wireless.

Since the camper was loaded with stuff, he sorted through moved some of my stuff out and some of his stuff in. We boxed it up and put it in our storage building to donate. Unfortunately, homes burn on a much too regular basis. When I read on Facebook that someone had lost their older family home, I contacted the donation person and told her that I had kitchen stuff including glasses, Corelle, stainless pots and pans, non-stick skillets, small scale bakeware (for a camper oven), plasticware, etc. We delivered them and I felt really good because while not the best of the best, the items were still very usable and not junk.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17332 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
We're in the process of sorting through everything and are taking most of our "excess" to a local county charity. They're coming to pick up some furniture items.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6787 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard of the abuse regarding Goodwill employees. I always hear Goodwill advertised on the radio as providing jobs and I thought that was great. I was considering donating to them possibly. Now, I may rethink this. I do not like to hear about CEO's making huge amounts of money running 'a charity, non-profit organization'. I have tons of my DD's clothes to donate and will look for other people to donate to. Thank you so much for the timely info!

Posts: 2537 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're free to donate and approve any place you choose. I'm not able physically to separate and sort, haul to different places and unload. I'm doing good to get it sacked up. They were very nice and helpful and goodness knows I needed help.

People can buy stuff at their retail stores a lot cheaper than elsewhere.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sis2,

Posts: 2306 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
It is freeing to donate unwanted extras.

piney

ps it is also freeing to edit a rant Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pinecone476,

Posts: 3235 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sis2, I don't think anyone meant to offend you. It is always good to donate to whatever cause. Other charities were pointed just to show there is variety. Not all Goodwill stores are as helpful as your is. It sure does vary by location .

Posts: 7255 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Sis2, I don't think anyone meant to offend you .

Definitely! Do what is most convenient for you. Where I lived right after DH and I married Salvation Army would come to your home to pickup. There are no local locations here.

Posts: 17332 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I agree, it doesn't matter who you donate to, as long as it's Out of the House! Good for you!!!
I called Salvation Army after my DM passed away and I had the horrible job of emptying her apt. with my sister. The Salvation Army was very picky. My mother had a lovely red velvet living room set that practically no one sat on for years. (I liked to sit on the carpet to watch TV) It was covered in those ugly plastic covers they used to put on living room furniture. That just proved it was in EXCELLENT CONDITION! Wink It was 3 pieces, including a couch that opened up into a bed (no one ever slept in it). It was so clean. A poor person would have loved to have such a pretty set (rip off the plastic covering if you want to, big deal). They said it was too old and refused to take it (it was 22 yrs. old, but such good condition). They were so picky, picky about things in good condition (nothing broken, etc.) Nice, usable stuff. I will never donate to them ever again. Where do you find the names of Women's Shelters in your town? I don't know where any are (if there are any) They are not on line or in phone books, they are kept secret from abusers.

Posts: 2537 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Wavie, the Salvation Army doesn't give away donated goods to "poor people". They have to sell it from their outlet stores in order to get money to use in their programs for the poor and elderly. Those goods have to be reasonably current for the buying public's taste... Otherwise they just sit there taking up valuable space that could be used for more marketable goods.
I take my unwanted household items to a thrift store run by the American Kidney Fund. A few years ago, I had a really old set of encyclopedias to get rid of. (Queen Elizabeth was still a princess and space travel was a "future dream" in this set.) They wouldn't take them. They don't even take recent encyclopedia sets. Since the internet, no one wants them anymore. They don't take analog TVs, either. They can't afford to stock stuff they'll never be able to sell.

If you want the things you donate to actually get into the hands of "poor people", chur ch organizations are probably your best bet. Call the rectories of those located in poorer neighborhoods. Unwed mother and immigrant service organizations welcome furniture, working appliances, and small household goods.

Sis, I also meant no personal criticism of you by your particular choice of Goodwill. I only wanted to point out that, as Sherry said, it is definitely not a charity and it has a bad reputation for paying disabled people slave wages while its executives reap the benefit of the goods the public gives them free of charge. And mainly, I wanted to encourage others who mistakenly believe that Goodwill is a charity to investigate other options in their communities that would make better use of the proceeds from their castoffs.

Of course, I know that tiny communities may not have a wide array of charities to choose from. In that case, using GW to rid yourself of unwanted clutter is certainly much better than living with the burden of it.

Posts: 4665 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not offended. One thing I like is that they take everything. If it can't be worn, it's sold by the pound so no sorting.

posted Hide Post
Women's Shelters:
We don't have any in our town, but towns 20 and 45 miles away have an office where things can be dropped off. Locations of the home(s) are not public information.

I don't know if you can call the Chamber of Commerce (I worked there for a short while and we had the information) or the courthouse (I work there now and have the information. You might call the local police department or sheriff's office - they should know if you have one locally or perhaps the nearest to your area.

That red living room set sounds "vintage" to me...

Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I gave my encyclopedias from about 1965 to the homeless shelter. I don't care if the kids cut them up for crafts. A co-worker gave hers to a local Head Start program with the same idea.

For ancient text books I found Half Price Books. They buy and sell used books. They paid me next to nothing, and the admit that many of my ancient books will be recycled. But I got them out of my house and got a little cash for my effort.

In my area the Salvation Army stores are in the poorest parts of town. So your donated clothing is sold cheap to someone who has almost no money. GoodWill stores are in more prosperous areas and sell mostly to people who can afford new. The prices at GoodWill are about the same as you would pay for new at WalMart.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JoW,

Posts: 8617 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoW:
The prices at GoodWill are about the same as you would pay for new at WalMart.

For the most part, I find that too. And you would not believe the worn-out junk they sell in the kitchenwares department. Teflon pans that have no Teflon left, tea kettles with no lids that look like a semi trailer ran over them... For Walmart-new prices.

I had to search hard for a place to recycle my 1954 encyclopedias. And then I had to drive almost 20 miles to get there. But I felt better doing that than just putting them in the landfill.

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Just been going through this. I had a Thomasville dining room set that I wanted to consign for sale. After lots of agonizing, I finally found one place to take it for auction. The others refused, saying it was out of style. Honestly, how can a classic style go "out of style". And the other big piece was a Belgian oak wall unit called shrunk. Massive piece that comes in sections for handling. Beautiful piece but just SO tired of it. They wouldn't take it either. Finally found someone to buy it using Craig's list.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6787 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post