Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Clean House Sign In/Join 
Picture of Linderhof
posted
I always change sheets and clean house on Mondays -- January I move things and clean really really good so the first Monday after that deep clean is "easy peasy"!

But, whether it's that Monday or any other during the year, there is nothing that gives me greater satisfaction than everything in it's place, the house clean and shining and smelling like wax and lemon . . .

Sometimes it is shorter lived than others. Sigh!

When DH comes homes, things are "back to normal" -- with stuff everywhere!

But I DO enjoy that feeling of clean -- even if it may be for just a little bit!

Martha

Posts: 6070 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Martha I imagine you are not too old, maybe middle aged but not elderly. You seem to have an abundance of energy or maybe just had a cleaning routine instilled in you in your youth.

I never clean my house every week and believe me I am very aware of the need to clean in right now. We have lots of stuff around and I do not have much energy at all. Plus even when I do clean I don't use sprays or waxes.

When I was younger and had more energy and far fewer things I did clean much more thoroughly.

I don't think cleaning is done in the same way now as in my youth. My DD has a cleaning woman (actually in both their regular and vacation house) but that cleaner never does things like wash woodwork or doors etc.

My goal is to organize my storage space in basement. To windex every glass in every frame, ditto mirror. I seem to be more likely to keep floors clean; washed and swept. DH does vacuuming and cleans down the stairs.

Posts: 12796 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Linderhof
posted Hide Post
LOS -- I suppose it was a cleaning routine instilled in me in my youth -- but not by MY doing -- just that everything was always clean, bed mades, etc. and mother never worked "outside the home" so cooking and cleaning was her work!

There was a time when my knees were really bad and the cleaning was not done on a regular basis. But since I had them replaced, I am back to normal in my daily/weekly/seasonal routine.

And I guess it is the German in me that likes to clean and likes a clean house!

Martha

Posts: 6070 | Location: On the prairie of Kansas | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Linderhof, I'm happy to hear you are so much better after your knee replacement surgery.

I admire your 'clean routine' Smile I'm not quite there just yet...my life has been in quite an upheaval the last 3 yrs or so; just one health 'thing' after the other. None serious, thanfully, but takes a long time to regain strength...

I am getting there.....at least I am actually writing 'to/dos' on my calendar and actually able to mark thru them as the days pass... Wink

Posts: 2877 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
House cleaning growing up meant cleaning house on Saturday whether you had company or not. I remember many times handing my friend a dust rag to help out. When everything was clean, beds changed, etc. THEN we got to go do what we wanted to do...but not before.

I hope to be able to do a total "Spring cleaning" this year. Empty closets, sort, donate, trash
Empty pantry, clean, donate, trash
Empty all cabinets one at a time to clean shelving, reline if necessary

I also intend to box up kitchen items I no longer need. DS and I had 2 or 3 boxes that we saved for when someone in the community lost a home to fire. Unfortunately, it's not an "if." DH and I delivered those boxes in early December I think.

The new box should have more than just kitchen items...bath towels, etc.

Posts: 17186 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
First of the year I always have a hankering to clean out and sort, so I am at that again. I'll be taking a haul to the thrift shop soon.

Posts: 7203 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
I hear you about the cleaning routines. When DDs were young I deep cleaned their rooms the week after school let out. Took mattresses off and vacummed the side rails. Radiators vacuumed, windows, curtains and woodwork washed. Closets got dumped out and outgrown clothes passed on to someone. When that was done, the playing could begin.
Now that I have taken up quilting, DDs have flown the nest I'm a little more *ahem* relaxed in my cleaning plus I have my dad's things to get rid of which is emotional....and 2 little granddaughters to play with.

piney

Posts: 3206 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annon
posted Hide Post
I love my clean house! I really don't mind cleaning. Because my house is large (4,000 sq ft), and I do it all myself, I have to keep up with it. Monday is "floor" day, because DH drags in all kinds of snow/dirt on the weekends. I try to do something extra every day, even if it's as small as wipe out the microwave or as large as clean the shower.

Posts: 3619 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
My mother always did twice a year "housecleaning". She did one room at a time where everything was moved and cleaned. Windows, curtains, knick knacks, pictures, etc. were all cleaned. She did not work outside the home, so this always was finished. She then cleaned every Frisay and did laundry almost every day....all hung outside on the clothesline.

I used to do this the same way before I had kids. I also had a job. But, it then seemed to me that it is more efficient to do certain jobs at once...all through the house. I fill my scrub bucket, get two rags, and wash all doors and woodwork, drying as I go. This does not take all that long. Once I get my supplies gathered I will wash 8 or 10 windows. I will take down all pictures, wipe the frames and clean the glass.

While I know that the whole house is not clean all at once, it does get done regularly. Then my weekly cleaning is mainly dusting and vacuuming. I do laundry almost every day, wipe all vanities and countertops frequently, and clean the baths every few days.

Posts: 3198 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though it takes a lot of effort to maintain and keep your house clean but it has it's own advantages and perks. If you clean regularly and effectively, your house will always look as good as new.

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of isabellaturner
posted Hide Post
Oh I love a clean house! We do a spring cleaning twice a year.

I used to hire out for it back in the day. But now, I have to do it myself. Frown

The cutest video of an animal shelter ever: http://blog.petflow.com/if-thi...dont-know-what-will/

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love a clean house! But since I have a good job, going to works wins out. DH is retired, and he's good about loading and unloading the dishwasher and doing laundry. He'll even vaccuum if needed. Unfortunately, he's a clutterer.

So the day before my niece AKA my housecleaning lady, comes, he knows he has to pick up after himself.

She does the kitchen, the bathrooms, changes the sheets, vaccuums and dust, and is worth every penny I pay her! I consider her pay an essential expense!

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of isabellaturner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holly in South Jersey:
So the day before my niece AKA my housecleaning lady, comes, he knows he has to pick up after himself.

Would it be considered hijacking the thread to know how this is working out? I've always hesitated to hire family for this sort of job for fear of resentment brewing.

Thanks for your insights. I'd love to know.

(Your blog is super cute, btw. I'm a cat lover too. )

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sharon cleans houses for several people, and has done for several years. When I decided to start having a housecleaner, maybe 3-4 years ago, I met with her, and we discussed how often she'd come and what she would do and what she would charge. I jokingly asked about a non-disclosure agreement, because we can be messy, and she assured me she doesn't tell tales. She comes every other week, let's me know what day so I can leave a check. She knows I don't care what day or time, as long as it's during the week period- some of her people are very fussy about when. It's worked out very well, and now she cleans once a month for my mom (who is not her gmom, she's related to me via my DH's family.)
I'd say it depends on your family whether it will work. The fact that she does it for other people works well.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Jul 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I clean something when I see it needs doing or I get tired of looking at it. I don't have a routine. It gets done between work, projects, having fun or kicking back. The cleanest my house has ever been was last summer. My sister (lives a few hours away) kept saying she was coming for a weekend.. then it would get put off another week or two- repeatedly. By the end of 2 months she finally made it and the place was spotless.

Posts: 657 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love a clean house, too, but mine rarely is. I have someone come every other week to do the floors and bathrooms but it seems as though I live with slobs and the house never stays looking nice.

But back in my single days, I cleaned house once each week. Not that it really got dirty but I ajaxed the bathroom and washed the floors, vacuumed, every week.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by llazy1:
I clean something when I see it needs doing or I get tired of looking at it. I don't have a routine. It gets done between work, projects, having fun or kicking back. The cleanest my house has ever been was last summer. My sister (lives a few hours away) kept saying she was coming for a weekend.. then it would get put off another week or two- repeatedly. By the end of 2 months she finally made it and the place was spotless.

I certainly relate to all you said Wink

Posts: 2877 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having a clean house is very good, clean house is the reason to have healthy and clean environment. Everyone loves a clean house, here you are telling that nothing gives you greater satisfaction, cleaning is good but extra cleaning is sometimes irritating. Clean only that much needed, use best vacuum for cleaning very helpful for you.

Posts: 31 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
Billie.....your advertising irritates everyone! It is not allowed!!!

You have been reported to the administrators and the grammar police!

Posts: 3198 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also remember,as part of Spring cleaning, my mom changing out the curtains and drapes in allthe rooms

Posts: 499 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post