Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  What to do with cards?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with cards? Sign In/Join 
Picture of luvboyds
posted
I have kept many cards through the years...birthdays, Christmas, Anniversaries, etc. I have them in a tote right now but is there a better way to store them or do you keep them? My tote is getting full so I'm just kinda throwing this out there for responses. Thanks so much!!

Posts: 266 | Location: WV | Registered: Mar 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I toss them, or recycle them if worthy to reuse.
In fact myself and a group of friends buy each other great, funny cards and use sticky notes to sign our salutations in. Then they can be used at least twice.
Once I used to save them, but realized I never again looked at them, just stored them. So now they get tossed.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a covered basket that is about 12" long, 10"wide, and 10" deep. In it I keep anything that I just can't bring myself to throw away but that there is no real reason to keep. Once it is full then something has to be thrown away before something new goes in. It limits my "hoarding" tendencies. Cards fall into this category.

Maybe a basket is too small for you. You may need 2 or 3 or even a tote. But it helps to have something to limit your savings of things that have no earthly use.

Posts: 6722 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyLifeVacation1
posted Hide Post
Totally agree with Conrad. Tossed unless really, really important to me. Then, that card is placed on my bulletin board so I can see it on a regular basis.

If you have messages, etc. that you want to keep, could you scan them into a folder on your computer? Or frame special ones?

ETA: When I scan, I always keep a copy on a flash disk or other storage in case my computer crashes and everything is lost. I have even been know to email files to myself -- that way my files are in cyberspace and fairly safe.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MyLifeVacation1,

Posts: 967 | Registered: Oct 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I toss them as I realize I'd never look at them again. My mother saved them and we tossed them all when we moved her- she wasn't happy but realized she hadn't looked at them either -it was just the thought of saving them.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I do not save them all.

I did save a birthday card from my mother...I think about 2004 or so. She wrote a special sentiment in it. I stuck it in the edge of my bedroom mirror. It is priceless to me now.

But a card with a printed verse and just signed. Nah.

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
well if nothing is allowed to accumulate, future antiquarians will have nothing to collect! I keep all my cards. Some of them are very beautiful and expensive. all of them have a nice and loving message.

I have many, many boxes of cards. I keep them in those plastic shoe box sized boxes. Have a storage room in the basement and these are on a high shelf and don't take up much room.

If you don't want to save them, collect a box full and donate to your local Goodwill or Salvation army. They can be used for lots of crafts. My mom used to make darling gift cards from the.

Posts: 12138 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas. Many of my cards are from my parents and my husband with scentiments wrote inside. Many other cards have been thrown out but I have a box full of cards. I keep asking myself if I'll ever go back and read them after something happens to my parents which right now my dad is bad into Alzheimer's. I just don't know what to do. That was a good idea about scanning them as well. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Posts: 266 | Location: WV | Registered: Mar 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You could put them in a scrapbook....label one birthday cards with the year on each card/page for example. I save my cards for a year and then toss them. Christmas cards can be cut up and recycled for gift tags.

love life

Posts: 1422 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
School teachers might like to have them for craft time!

Posts: 16466 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Or donate them to a senior center as a lot of gals make different things from them. Maybe check with some nursing homes too...they might be able to use them.

I've kept just 1/2 of some cards I received getting rid of the other half & just keeping the sentiment...and noting dates on the back.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4308 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
Now I know that I really need to go back through them and just keep the ones that really touches the heart strings. Thanks for the idea of donating them. I didn't think of that but I have heard of some people collecting Christmas cards and donating them afterward. It will be a chore to go through them all so maybe a little at a time so it doesn't become so overwhelming. Thanks again for your help!!

Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
I save all hand written cards I receive from my children, and that includes every crayon mark or drawing they did especially for me. I also save all the love notes and cards my husband has given to me... along with letters from my Mom and Dad... But, that's just me...to me those things are important, if you feel differently, do what your heart tells you. Maybe look through every thing you have, and keep those that touch your heart, that when you look back and they bring a smile to your face, you know, that's worth keeping...

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I think this is one of those "savers vs tossers " things. I am a tosser.

I love my kids and grandchildren. I get misty eyed at phone comercials, I cry at sentimental movies.

And I ruthlesly throw out cards, old school papers and many other "keepsakes."

I do keep report cards, and maybe ONE meaningful drawing from each child per year or so..but the rest? GONE.

If the historians of the future want to know what we sent to each other on the holidays they can look up the HallMark archives.

It isn't that I don't care, but once I've read it and said "ohhh how lovely." It's burned into my heart. I already DO have it forever, I don't feel the need for the physical paper it's on to remind me.

My mother saved all the cards, carefully beribboned and boxed, and after she passed we realized we had just a mouldering pile of old paper with zero meaning to anyone but her. and even SHE hadn't looked at any of them in 20 years.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree, Kathy.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy_in_wlsv:

carefully beribboned and boxed,

Kathy -- I don't know what that means. Could you, or someone, explain it to me? Thanks.

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I think she means that they were bundled up, tied with ribbon, and put in a box for safekeeping.

Posts: 3031 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grapefruit:
I think she means that they were bundled up, tied with ribbon, and put in a box for safekeeping.

Thanks. I've never heard the word before. Guess I should have looked it up.

Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
Once I save something it is hard for me to get rid of it.....so I try not to save things like cards in the first place.

After my birthday is over I toss the cards, after Christmas is over I toss the cards, after mother's day, out they go. Every once in a while I save a few of the fronts and cut them up for gift tags, but if I have enough tags I get rid of the cards.

Posts: 7075 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My great-great aunt used to cut the fronts off and use them as stationary. I guess back then most didn't have anything on the back of the front page.
btw.."tosser" means something entirely different in british slang..

Posts: 642 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of luvboyds
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for the new responses. You all have given me some good ideas on what to do now. I just need to get busy now. Thanks again!

Picture of JasminesMom
posted Hide Post
I save mine & then cut them up and make a new card, my friends love to receive a part of the original card they sent me.

Posts: 1469 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: Apr 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
luvboyds, Hope I'm not too late to chime in here ~ I've been following this thread since you started it but haven't posted until now because I realize that the prevailing thought is to "toss, clean out and de-clutter" when it comes to something like the many, many cards you mention...

A bit of a different thought here ~ I, too, had the experience of finding that my Mom had saved EVERY SINGLE CARD that she and my Dad had exchanged through 58 years of marriage ~ my siblings thought that the simplest way of dealing with them was to "toss them." I pretended to agree and kept them all! Razz

Reading through them gave me a greater appreciation of just who my parents were ~ they weren't just parents; they were husband and wife, friends and lovers (shocker! Big Grin) and so I saved them all ~ doesn't really take up them much room.

Mom also saved all sorts of other cards and I am so glad that she did - the ones from the 30's and 40's are adorable; the ones from the fifties very unique ~ I especially love the Valentine's cards through the decades. Might just be me but, what's the harm in saving them for, at least a while, and then deciding what to do with them? Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
My mom saved all the letters she and my dad wrote each other for the 2 years before they married. Now, THOSE I DID want to read. She burned them all, about a month before she died. To me, that was a loss, since I really didn't know my father well at all, and his letters to her were long, and many.

All the cards though? mostly generic greetings, with the occasional short extra sentiment.

Life is GOOD!!

Posts: 1508 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mom also saved all sorts of other cards and I am so glad that she did - the ones from the 30's and 40's are adorable; the ones from the fifties very unique ~ I especially love the Valentine's cards through the decades. Might just be me but, what's the harm in saving them for, at least a while, and then deciding what to do with them?

This is exactly the way I feel. I have a letter written in 1872 from a brother to my great grandfather. It gives a first hand detailed image of a certain life style in a fixed time and place. Invaluable.

Posts: 12138 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Except for a few very special cards my DH has given me over the past 23 years, I regularly donate Christmas cards and other greeting cards to St. Jude's Hospital for Children, a very worthy organization: http://www.stjudesranch.org/yo...cycled-card-program/

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I'm one of those people that saves all the cards I get. I have storage boxes marked memorabilia for each year. I made the mistake of throwing out some stuff about 35 years ago and I'm sorry I did. I wish I had it now.

I want to be able to go back and look at it all in another 20-30 years if I live that long. Smile

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kathy_in_wlsv
posted Hide Post
I think this is another of those issues that the 2 sides come from very differing view points and neither is wrong.. (or right>?)Smile

I started out as a saver. I had a trunk, a beautiful antique trunk that my father got for me at an auction when I was quite young, and in it I saved my diaries, ALL my extensive pen pal letters, all my autograph books, report cards, school papers I was proud of, my great grandmothers ring.. and on and on. so many things that had real meaning.

Between Jan 20, 1969 and Dec 7 1972, I lost my father, 3 close uncles, both grandmothers, a marriage, a daughter and EVERYTHING I owned. Every single possession I had was gone.

I still remember them all, but decided about mid 1973 that THINGS simply wouldn't and didn't mean that much to me. From my understanding this trauma could have made me a hoarder, instead it did the reverse.

Some people feel the need to keep the things that evoke the memories and the sentiments, others just don't. Unless or untill an individual's response is a hazzard to health and safety, I feel it's a matter of live and let live.

Life is GOOD!!