Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Laminate floor Sign In/Join 
posted
Since this board is a little slow thought I would ask about this now though it is in the home we won't be at for a couple of months. Just bought house and it has laminate floors. The dog was used to laminate floors but being weird he was afraid of the floors and to get to one room from another he would run like mad without his body moving. Funny to watch.

After a few day I notice scratches on the floor. Laminate should not scratch! I did read that some cleaners leave a residue or it is possible the previous owner waxed it. It was suggested that the only way to remove this is a heat gun and scrapper. If this is true I'm in trouble because I cannot be on my knees that long.

Has anyone run into this problem? What did you do if anything? I cannot think of any other way to remove it if it is wax. Can you?

Posts: 7226 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had large dogs and laminate. Laminate can scratch. There are other ways to remove the wrong floor product, if that really is the case.

Posts: 3230 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Laminate can definitely scratch. Chip and dent, too. And when it's new(er), it can be pretty darned slippery, too. Given enough time and moppings, the slipperiness gradually ebbs; but when mine was new, I refrained from walking on it in socked feet. I don't have dogs, but have heard plenty of stories about pets who had trouble with the slipperiness of laminates.

So don't assume there is wax on the floor, and be very cautious about using any kind of strong stripper to the floor - which almost surely would destroy a plastic laminate.

Posts: 4640 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Vinegar and water in a spray bottle and a microfiber is all I ever clean our porch laminate with. The vinegar solution may also be a safe remover of any possible wax residue? Quarter of a cup white vinegar for a quart of water is what I mix. At least it won't hurt anything.

Posts: 9664 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know laminate can scratch as I did it with an unprotected chair leg. I don't know why I said it should not scratch. (Senior moment?). But we had laminate in our last house and my dog, who never walks when he can run, did not scratch that floor. Perhaps this is a lower grade of laminate?

We were only in the house a short time before coming north and I only washed 2, maybe 3 times using a diluted vinegar solution. Since I can't flood it or let any solution sit on it do you think it is possible repeated washing with vinegar (or something else) may help? I have a couple closets I can experiment in.

The reason I think it may be wax or some other surface coating is that when I rubbed a scratch with my finger nail it disappeared though there was a larger different looking area then.

Posts: 7226 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
My particular brand of flooring can be washed with ammonia solution, but I suspect not all can. You'd have to know your brand and check with the company. Ammonia should, of course, remove most waxy or greasy finishes.

And yes, the product comes in a bunch of different grades. Some would not be a 'scratchable' as others.

Posts: 4640 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I have no way of knowing the brand I will use the information from yours Nettiejay. But I will try it in a closet first so if it dulls the floor it will not be noticeable. Thanks so much.