Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANTS! Sign In/Join 
Picture of flboy
posted
Help, itsy bitsy ants. First DH told me that they were no see-ums and that they were coming right through the screens.Now that doors,windows closed using A.C. and they are still here. Okay, I gather up the tineey bodies and put them in a baggy and send him to the bug store. The bug man confirms that they are ants and sells dh the killer needed, 4 applications later and they are still visiting. HELP!

html

Posts: 2417 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had them as well(we're in FT Myers area for winter). I've never seen such tiny microscopic ants. People attributed them to the extremely dry conditions we've had. I sprayed several times, then they came back and in odd places. Now that we're gone, may have to have pest control service step up to monthly while we are gone

Posts: 3055 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of peppermintpattitotherescue
posted Hide Post
Hello flboy,
We don't have the itty bitty ants, but for the ants we did have I placed Grant's Ant Stakes where they were coming in and in the area they went to. That was five years ago and I haven't seen and ant in the house since.

Save Planet Earth, it is the only Planet with chocolate!!

Posts: 992 | Location: Camarillo, California | Registered: Mar 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
dh used an exterior spray around the entire house...but we only just found an ant hill in unused portion of the driveway. he's going to spray again...i used a interior spray but sparingly, as we have 2 cats...we are also fighting carpenter ants, sigh...

Posts: 8482 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I had ants once and it was frustrating to get rid of them. One thing I remember is that getting rid of them is about finding the source, not just doing away with the ones that get inside your house. I spent time following ant trails to the outside and finding the tiny holes in the ground that were the entrances to their nests. Then I would mark the spots and have the exter.mina.tor spray those places in particular. It took a while, but eventually we got them all cleared out.

Posts: 7078 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
If you want to control the ants you need to know which type of ant you are trying to control. Different methods work on different ants. You need to know what they eat, how they enter your home, what exclusion methods work and how to find their nests. Here are two links to the University of Florida that will help.

http://flrec.ifas.ufl.edu/ento...st%20Ants%20of%20Fl/

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig080

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spanish Revival
posted Hide Post
Here in Florida the ant situation is so unique, sandy ground, hot, humid weather. From my experience, and it's been for quite a while, it seems some years are worse than others and this year seems like it's going to be a bad one b/c we're getting ants too and didn't really have them last year. What we did, and it worked for quite a while was to buy a bunch of different kinds of ant killers and put them all down. And the Terra drops where you see them in the house seems to work well too. Also taking off the switch plates and spraying Boric acid into the walls helps a lot too. And we do have monthly service for the perimeter of our home. Just a downfall of living in such a beautiful place that we all deal with at one time or another Frown

Posts: 908 | Location: Florida | Registered: Aug 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. We do use Demon all over the place and we have a service that does the grass. We have installed new window so since this was a first with these ants I blamed the new windows as that is where the dead bodies are all under the new window. Today there are just a few. I also kept bringing in our lovely gardenias so maybe I started this nightmare.

html

Posts: 2417 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a tiny yorkie that licks everything so chemicals are a no no. I read somewhere online that you should place ordinary cornmeal where the ants are...that they will eat it, take it back to their nest and it will kill them as they are not able to digest it. Haven't tried it yet, but when our antihills get going this spring I'm willing to try.

Posts: 735 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I wondered about the corn meal. While there were many hits from people asking the question and people answering it - there is no scientific proof.

However, Texas A&M states that cornmeal is a bait not an organic poison or deterrent and could very well bring in other pests.
Slide 11 here:
http://fireant.tamu.edu/materi...df/urbanfireants.pdf
(Look at slide 8 for organic options.)

I read on other links that cloves or bay leaves will repel ants.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 16498 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by suedorcoo:
We have a tiny yorkie that licks everything so chemicals are a no no. I read somewhere online that you should place ordinary cornmeal where the ants are...that they will eat it, take it back to their nest and it will kill them as they are not able to digest it. Haven't tried it yet, but when our antihills get going this spring I'm willing to try.

When we had our Sheltie, we used Amdro, which is non toxic to kids & pets, but kills ants.

Posts: 610 | Registered: Sep 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
At the first sign of an ant, I find this product found at Ace Hardware works well. It's called Terro Ant Killer and comes in a small plastic bottle. It's almost gell like and you place a dab on bits of cardboard near where the ants seem to enter your house. BTW, I seem to recall cinnamon, hot pepper flakes (if you don't have small children or pets) and/or chalk were other home remedies, but do check to be sure.

I am mostly a fan of solutions that involve non poisonous to humans/pet remedies and frequently do searches on the Web depending on the pest I'm tackling at the moment. I learned, for instance, that sticking strips of dryer sheets in my closed window wards off flies. I had a mysterious and severe infestation in one room upstairs once and this worked like a dream. BTW, I hung the retail bait traps outside the window, but what a yucky/smelly solution that was! Another remedy I found that also works (sorry those of you who dislike harming small animals) against field mice is to lay pans of potato buds around the sites in your home (ours was our basement). They'll injest the buds, drink water and POOF! Humanely trapping them and redepositing them into the fields was not an option. We live near a wooded common land so field mice infestation is a problem and YES, we frequently check for entry points around our house. The Web is full of solutions to your infestation problems.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18403 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Froo Froo, My DH paid $160.00 for the ant killer but they are still here, dead but here. They are in the same spot every A.M. Today was a little better but we will check out your ant killer next and then the Borax remedy. I am just sick of cleaning up the bodies and not knowing how they are coming in. This is a first and the new windows were just installed sooo. Dh is against the new window as the problem though.

html

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Also, check what is attracting them...pet food, crumbs, a toaster, water or spilled liquids, a sugar bowl's rim, etc..

If you have the type of ant indentified in this article, it may be of help to you...

http://www.getridofthings.com/...id-of-sugar-ants.htm

Posts: 18403 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Froo, The man in the bug store looked at them and said they were just small ants and that they are a problem this year because we haven't had any rain to speak of and a very warm winter with very little rain as well. I do not have pets are rug rats or food anywhere in the openor any crumbs about the house. All food is in baggies and in freezer for food and garbage as well.

html

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
flboy, is your house on a slab, elevated or foundation?

We had a similar problem a couple of yrs. ago. Our house is on pedestals (concrete block ones)as well as foundation all around the outer edge, and we didn't get rid of them until I convinced DH to spray ALL the pedestals under the house. He kept telling me there was no way for them to come thru those...well, I still think they did some how!!! We haven't had the problem again...and we were also VERY dry at that time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4348 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to all of your ideas but right now I am freaking out! I found 2 huge ones in the past 2 days. One was walking on my counter and the other was dead. I am going to throw a nutty around here real soon!

html

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
ga.karen, our house is on a slab and is typical FL. block built home. We do have a huge screened lanai and we had been finding ants out there before they invaded our space. I am going to have to pay an exterminator now as my DH has failed as the bug man.

html

posted Hide Post
I buy a gallon container with a spray attachment (squirt-squirt). It's a clear liquid...non-staining...unscented. I spray inside around all baseboards and outside around the perimeter. Pertaining specifically to ants - After paying way too much money IMHO for an exterminator, he did tell me to buy the nastiest smelling ant poison crystals I could get and sprinkle around the house in a 3-foot wide swath.

The only crawling bugs I find in my house are dead bugs.

Product is not this one, but similar:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_283770...ollar%7C1&facetInfo=

I'll look when I get home.

Posts: 16498 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is it:
http://www.acehardware.com/pro...searchId=61270182793

This is a 4-pack. I purchase it one gallon at a time for just over $10. That along with a bag of granule ant poison sure beats the $100 the exterminator charged me a few years back!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Check out this link and it's vast remedies (non toxic) especially the following one that I emphasized.
http://www.thefrugallife.com/ants.html

This one, taken from the above link, is recommended by a S. Fl. dweller:

I live in south Florida, the bug capital of the world, and I don't use anything toxic in or around my home. I discovered a safe way to get rid of ants. I found Shakley's Basic H. It is a non-toxic soap made from soybeans. I take a pint spray bottle, fill it 1/3 with Basic H and 2/3 with water, mixing gently. Follow your trail of ants to try to discover where they are entering. Spray a thin stream of the mix around where they are coming in. I also spray around my door frames and into any openings where they might enter. Caulking any little holes or openings is also helpful. Please remember this is a SOAP. Do not spray where it will be stepped on and someone will slip. I reapply it as needed. Try to keep it off painted surfaces as it will eventually bubble the paint. You can also put three tablespoons into a Miracle Grow feeder full of water and spray outside around the foundation of your house. It will soak into the soil and get into the nests. Do this once or twice a month until the problem abates. As an added bonus, use the same mixture in your feeder and spray your lawn to keep it flea free. I also keep the little spray bottle handy to spritz any bugs that try to dash in the door when it's open. If it can kill a palmetto bug (roaches that are as big as B-52's), it will kill anything!

Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Found the following as a natural deterent against future invasions...

You can also grow repellent plants around your house to keep ants away - they hate Catnip, Pennyroyal, Peppermint, Sage, and Mint. Tansy can also work, but Tansy is toxic and should be avoided if you have any pets that like to chew on plants (sheep and lambs do this, but so do some dogs and cats).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, I have calmed down from yesterdays temper tantrum. I had this problem once before with carpenter ants and DH just kept ignoring me until the nightmare was in full swing. I would have to plant him under the new bird feeder if it happens again. We do not have any pets and the man next door has cats but they are inside cats. The other side is living in NJ most of the time and he also does not have pets. I feel that we really do not have to worry about animals getting harmed.I am going to get back to heavy hinting on this problem that DH is again ignoring.

html

posted Hide Post
flboy - Handle it yourself! I sprayed my house inside and out yesterday afternoon.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
keepyouinstiches, I spent the day cleaning the lanai and furniture and cushions. I did find a lot of ant bodies and DH sprayed again. Dh took the plug recepticle off the wall and sprayed in there and did find a spot on the new window that wasn't covered with whatever the window man used.This a.m.there was fewer bodies but seemed to have more bodies in another area. We will keep up the spraying and purchase the new products that have been listed by all of you.Thanks again and I will let all of you know when this home is dead ant body free, which means we have found the entrance in.

html

posted Hide Post
Good luck! One thing that will make the execu-tion longer is if they have set up home within the walls.

So many things if I waited for my husband to do, they would never get done...as in spraying for bugs...

posted Hide Post
How are the ants coming along, flboy? I was amazed to read some of the solutions. Miracle Grow? Wow!

We have been plagued by ants in every place we've lived here in CA. I am currently battling an ant problem and I cannot figure out where they are coming in from. I go outside and see nothing yet come inside and they are running like crazy up and down the wall.

I use a solution of liquid soap and water to kill the inside ones. I spray it outside, too, but it doesn't seem to have any lingering effect. I even sprayed the Bayer ant stuff outside and there were still more ants last night. Even made a chalk line.

Bewildering.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pebbles03b
posted Hide Post
Boric acid w/sugar in a small shallow dish. Terro is also good.

Posts: 1314 | Location: IN, USA | Registered: Dec 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I am glad to report that the ants have left and I have no idea why. The lawn man came( feeds the grass and fertilizes)and he sprayed for the ants. He said that he had treated the grass of the owners to the left side of our house and that the ants may have moved to our yard because of his treatment. The ants took another few days after that spraying to start to lessen and the rain started for 5 days and I think they up and drowned.I think they came in our very expensive new windows and that thought made me crazier, if that is possible. I did not kill my DH but it was a close call. The pool was loaded with them as well. I am just thankful that they have left.It seems to be a much buggier year this summer.

html

posted Hide Post
Funny, flboy, about dh and the close call.

Glad to hear the ants have vanished.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
charcoalsmom, My DH has been very lucky that I have allowed him to continue to live many times throughout our marriage. He always pushes the envelope. Men should learn, never ignore any women when it comes to creatures or bugs in the house!

html

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charcoalsmom:
How are the ants coming along, flboy? I was amazed to read some of the solutions. Miracle Grow? Wow!

We have been plagued by ants in every place we've lived here in CA. I am currently battling an ant problem and I cannot figure out where they are coming in from. I go outside and see nothing yet come inside and they are running like crazy up and down the wall.

I use a solution of liquid soap and water to kill the inside ones. I spray it outside, too, but it doesn't seem to have any lingering effect. I even sprayed the Bayer ant stuff outside and there were still more ants last night. Even made a chalk line.

Bewildering.

One thing I learned in California where termites swarm from the air as well as attacking from underground is that sometimes when you have a lot of ants from an unidentifiable source, it might mean you have termites because ants eat termite carcasses. I would suggest you get a termite inspection if you haven't had one in a while.

Posts: 1730 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Graciepj, Thank you for that tip. We will be taking care of that inspection as soon as we return from a trip. It has been around 9 years since the home inspection that included a termite insp.Florida has a lot of problems with termites. I did notice the truck was across the street from us the other day! I have to repeat that I always get good advice here. Thanks again all.

html

posted Hide Post
Pest Exterminator Long island ny is the best option for controlling ants. The pest controls removes all the ants from the source. The pest control also helpful to get ride of other termites and insects and help you to keep your home clean.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Good Grief! You dredge up a thread that is close to a year old to advertise on? And the person who started the thread doesn't live in NY or even the north. Most folks will avoid businesses that advertise on these boards as it is prohibited!

Reported!!!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4348 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post