Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Washing Down Coat by hand
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washing Down Coat by hand Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
Have you ever washed a Down Jacket by hand (in the bathtub)? I want to wash my down coat this week preferably. I have a 'center agitator' so I can't use my machine. I could look around for a Commercial washing machine. It's just a lot of work to wash/dry it and I thought I could monitor it better if I washed it at home. Anyone ever wash a down coat by hand? (I was planning on drying it in my dryer) Thx!

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
I have washed down coats and down pillows in a center agitator washer, back years ago. They came out fine, but I do recall having to keep pushing them under the water to really expel the extra air and allow the water to saturate. The tub would require the same treatment. Try not to use too much detergent, or it may be hard to get it all rinsed out.

I'd make sure to inspect well and you don't have obvious tears or loose seams where the down can come out. Stitch these up ahead of time.

If you have soiled spots (cuffs, collar, pockets) I would pre-treat those areas with a good laundry treatment to release any stains, however you wash.

I would also probably use the rinse and spin in your washer to aid these final steps.
Yay...fall and winter are coming! Long live the down coats/jackets! Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: conrad,

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Conrad. I have used center agitator washers to do down jackets. You will need to put something else in with it to balance the load. As I recall I uses a towel.

Posts: 7216 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
I have washed a lot of down items including a down jacket in my Maytag that has a center agitator. That is what I would recommend. Just balance the weight by washing something else that is bulky so the weight is distributed.

Posts: 12936 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Me too. I have washed down jackets in a center agitator washing machine on gentle. Throw in a pair of athletic shoes...stop the machine every so often to punch the jacket down in the water.

The big thing is in drying. The tennis shoes help to keep it from wadding up. You also need to open the dryer every 5-10 minutes to separate the feathers in each sewn compartment/channel.

Posts: 17257 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I too have washed down things previously in my center agitator washing machine, including huge comforters. I googled "washing down coats" and every single website said to not use the washing machines with the center agitator. I figured since I just bought this down jacket last year and really liked it, I didn't want to damage it, so I was afraid to use my machine.
Maybe I will try washing it in my machine. To dry it, they say you should put some golf balls in the dryer. (I have about 5 of them I found and kept for this purpose!) THANKS EVERYONE!!

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Golf balls?
I am thinking clean/new tennis balls. At least I have never heard of using golf balls. Sounds like they might damage the inside of the dryer!

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMDAO!!! Yes conrad, you are right, Tennis Balls!!! Sorry!! SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
My best guess is that the warning against using a center agitator machine has more to do with damaging the machine than damaging the coat. The weight of wet down/feathers in a pillow or coat is considerable. If that weight isn't counter-balanced on the other side of the agitator during the spin cycle, it can break the supports holding the tub in place.

I wash my feather pillows by hand in the laundry sink; but I always spin them in pairs, one on each side of the agitator to remove the excess water before putting them in the dryer.

Posts: 4633 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I was going to put in some towels to balance it out a little. Hope it helps!

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
One thing about using "the golf balls" in the dryer, you could not easily forget the coat was going round and round. Big Grin

Hopefully the coat will come out beautifully clean.

posted Hide Post
Have washed many down filled items... vests, jackets, blankets, pillows, comforters. Use washer on gentle cycle and have had no problems. Key is to make sure items are thoroughly DRY!! Will often run for more than m=one dry cycle... fluffing in between. If an item feels even slighlty damp... needs more time.

Posts: 5655 | Location: mount holly, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
My down coat came out perfectly! THANK YA'LL SO MUCH! Yes, I have washed down things before, but not recently and this was a new down jacket so I wasn't sure how to do it. When I "googled it" every single website said DO NOT use a machine with a center agitator. I'm used to washing blankets and they are harder to stuff into that type of machine. I washed a comforter (not down) first before I washed the jacket. After washing the comforter, the jacket was a piece of cake! I worry too much I think! Thanks again!