Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Small Space Room Disorder
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small Space Room Disorder Sign In/Join 
posted
Hi my name is Zen. I currently live with my partner in a 3 bedroom and 2 bathroom apartment in Queens, NY. The dilemma is that our bedroom is so tiny we have no space for our clothes, shoes and other stuff. Storage is the worst in our small space. Our closet is full to the max and very sloppy and I have no idea how to start to organize it. When we do laundry, all our clean clothes stay in bags, because there is no room to put it away. The bathroom in our room is almost as big as our bedroom. Go figure! The walls are not deep enough on both sides to make more closet space. This is stressful! We need to implement storage space if that is possible!

Do not be alarmed by the pictures, it was a bad day and usually our room is not that messy. The measurements for our room are 9ft wide and 15ft long, so you can get a visual of our bedroom. We need suggestions! I am anxiously waiting! I have pictures if needed!

Posts: 4 | Location: NY | Registered: Jun 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please put pictures on. I imagine you need shelving, drawers, under bed storage (put bed on risers) and storage benches. Can you put an armour in your bathroom? Chest of drawers? Even a tall bookcase with baskets to put clothing/cosmetics/junk(?) in to get it out of the way. Your room size doesn't sound too small...would depend where the windows are and etc.

love life

Posts: 1423 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
Pictures are very useful

Posts: 12146 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wiley
posted Hide Post
Are the other bedrooms occupied?

Posts: 4364 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pictures, please! Have to say, the room size doesn't sound all that small to me either.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, Zen and welcome! Do post the pictures to which you referred and you might get even more valuable suggestions. Without pictures and going from your posted dimensions, there are many ways to approach your dilemna.

A 9x15 bedroom is actually quite large - maybe a screen folder at one end would be helpful - block off part of the room and store clothing not in season in bins so that you can, at least, hang up the clean clothes! Smile

Underbed storage boxes can hold more than you might think and, of course, it might be time to start thinning out the amount of accumulation that you and your partner have managed to accumlate... hard to say; hope you post back with more details. Good luck in any event. Cool

Posts: 6487 | Registered: Jan 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Other suggestions would be to learn how to efficiently fold shirts and other items so they take up less room. Go to Youtube and check out the 2 second folding videos. Depending on the size of your closets - put in extra shelves above the hanging rod and guessing 2 males - put in an extra bar halfway between the top hanging bar and the floor.

In your bathroom since you mention not deep enough for another closet - get the closet storage drawers. I have a set in my closet on the bottom it has 4 cubbies that I have baskets in for odd shaped items and above it has several shelves where I keep tennis shoes and other sandals that don't have heels. On another wall you can put a couple of wall mount shoe racks.

Don't forget over the door storage.

Posts: 3399 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
In addition to the storage ideas that have been posted, you might think about reducing the number of items of clothing that you have.

Part of making the decision to live in one place over another is that the place will meet your lifestyle needs.

Many people live quite comfortably in homes with small closets by keeping to a very limited wardrobe. By carefully selecting clothing items that mix and match well a small wardrobe can be very adequate.

For instance, Tim Gu.nn of the "Project Runway" show is known for his impeccable wardrobe, and he only had about three feet of closet space. He is very careful about what he buys. (they did a program once about his tiny closet,and limited wardrobe)

On some level, it just doesn't make sense to have more possessions than is reasonable for the amount of space that you live in.

Posts: 7076 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted to take a quick moment to thank you for such great suggestions to my "Small Bedroom Dilemma." I am not sure how to upload all the pictures that I have. Can someone help? Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Zennie371,

Posts: 4 | Location: NY | Registered: Jun 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting back. I hope some of our photo posters will help out. It is my understanding that if you have your photos in something like Photobucket you can copy them and insert them as an image by clicking on the picture icon on the tool bar of the message box.

Posts: 3399 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Zennie, the way I add photos here:
The photo is on my computer and must be below 150kb. You can resize with many of the photo programs or with Paint.

Click the Reply button below right with the blue arrow.

You have to type something in the white box.
Below the white box click Add Attachment.
Click Browse and locate the photo on your computer and double click. It will pop into the File source box. You do not need to type in File Description.
Then click Post Now.

Posts: 16479 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sherry.

Here is the storage I added to my closet. You can do all drawers, all shelves, all cubbies.

posted Hide Post
You'd LOVE this site:
www.apartmenttherapy.com

Small Apartment Dweller with one young teenage daughter Smile

Posts: 5 | Location: Huntsville, Al | Registered: Jul 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Love to see the pics as this would be of enormous help with suggestions and the link just posed should be useful too. Here are some Froo tips that are frequently offered to renters in tight spaces on this board...

UTILIZE DEAD SPACE (ie. under beds, in corners, behind doors, under skirted tables, along ceiling line).

UTILIZE VERTICAL SPACE

DECLUTTER/ORGANIZE/LABEL/STASH IN STACKABLE LIDDED BOXES

OPT FOR FURNITURE PCS. THAT OFFER STORAGE (flat topped chests, storage ottomans, tall dressers, storage bench)

FREE UP FLOOR SPACE VISUALLY AND LITERALLY (use ottomans for a coffee table, storage and seating, loft type, trundle or Murphy bed, wardrobe closets)

INVEST IN CLOSET EXTENDERS (ex. shelf extenders,
space saving hanger systems that tier downward, stackable shoe boxes, shelf dividers that keep folded and stacked items in order), over the door shoe holders, etc.)

EDIT (weed out things you haven't worn in a year or more..donate, sell, gift, trash, etc.) BE BRUTAL. IF A NEW ITEM COMES IN, GET RID OF AN OLD ITEM OR TWO.

OPT FOR FURNITURE THAT STORES, NESTS, STACKS OR FOLDS TO FREE UP SPACE.

ADD SHELVES TO WALLS AND USE DECORATIVE BOXES OR OLD SUITCASES TO STASH OFF SEASON ITEMS. STACKED SUITCASES MAKE FUNCTIONAL NIGHT STANDS TOO.

In addition, if the bathroom is so spacious, add storage cabinetry there that you can always take with you when you leave. Many people use wardrobe closets(or dressers) there for storage of things that are not harmed by the damp conditions of a bathroom (typically no clothes). Even if it's kitchen or office type supplies, no one but you and your roomie will know what's behind the doors. The point is, you've got valuable realestate in the bathroom so avail yourself of it. Hope my tips helped. Work together to make your abode a comfortable and functioning one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Froo Froo,

Posts: 18386 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TmF10
posted Hide Post
Hey Zen,

Not sure if you're still struggling with getting your closet organized but if you are, please consider using some wire shelving units in the closet to start stacking your clothing on. Here are some pictures that a customer of ours sent (yes, she was extremely messy) from the day she first started putting these shelves in her closet. She hasn't yet sent a pic of the finished product but you can get an idea of what purpose these shelving units serve.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TmF10,

Shelving for Closets

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here are some pictures that a customer of ours sent

You are advertising your business which is strictly forbidden on these forums. And even more importantly it really angers the members of these forums who are exactly the people you are advertising to! Can we say a waste of your time?

Posts: 12146 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From another question on this board, I replied to TmF10
"You're so right, I do have storage concerns. My concern is that my favorite message boards are filled with SPAMMERS like you with the guise of trying to be helpful. In an effort to help us de-clutter, say GOOD-BYE and GET LOST!!!!"

Posts: 1924 | Location: Northern New Jersey | Registered: Mar 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
Good detective work. Shame on these violators! Hopefully our advise wasn't in vane and will help others with this common dilemma.

Posts: 18386 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What do you use the extra two bedrooms for? I would convert the one next to your bedroom into a large closet.

Wanda

Posts: 1727 | Registered: Jul 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't think Zennie 371 is coming back here.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post