Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Wet washcloths and mildew
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wet washcloths and mildew Sign In/Join 
posted
How do you store your dirty wet washclothes (kitchen and bath) so they don't mildew before you do the laundry? TIA

Posts: 566 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a towel rack in the laundry room that I lay the wet things (rags, wash cloth and towels)over until they are dry. In the bathroom, I hang the wet washcloths over the tub faucet over night...then when dry they go into the clothes basket to be washed.

love life

Posts: 1555 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Dollar Tree here has great microfiber washcloths for kitchen use. They have a nylon grid mesh sewn to one side. They dry super fast, never get sour smelling, wash beautifully.
Bath wash cloths get hung up after use, and dry during the day or overnight.

Posts: 9663 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
We use a clean towel everyday. I have baskets on the floor of bathroom closets. I do laundry very frequently so that never becomes an issue. I just like to keep the laundry " caught up".

Posts: 3226 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I have an inexpensive towel bar on the back of the cabinet door under my sink. The wet dishcloth goes there. During the week especially this works. It is dry before the next evening meal prep when it gets tossed in the laundry basket and a clean cloth is set out.

I throw my washcloth over the section of the shower door that does not open. I have also draped them over the laundry basket of dirty clothes until dry...or hung them over the faucet of my jetted tub (that is rarely used).

Edited to add: I have a folding drying rack on my screen porch for pool towels, etc. I also hang other wet things out there to dry before tossing in the to-do laundry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17255 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cocok
posted Hide Post
I toss mine right into the laundry basket and then I do the laundry every day or two. As long as you do your laundry frequently it is no problem. If I don't have enough stuff to do a big load, I just do a small load, and get it done!

Posts: 7247 | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a hand towel stand that sits on the counter and the wash clothes dry there. The bath towels are either on towel bars or hooks to dry.

Posts: 3226 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mother had a hamper for her dirty clothes and I remember the clothes in it did smell. Dad's sweaty work clothes went in there. I never used a hamper.....have a plastic clothes basket in each bedroom closet.....handy on wash day. And as mentioned use the towel rack to hang the wet things on to dry before putting them in the dirty clothes basket.

love life

Posts: 1555 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I've been using the microfiber dish cloths like Conrad mentioned, they are great and dry very quickly...no smell.
Our bath wash clothes get hung on towel bars to dry...no problem there either even during our super hot weather.

If anything does pick up some odor (rarely) that load of laundry gets rinsed in vinegar and that cuts the smell....and softens too!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to look into getting the microfiber dish cloths and I'm planning on installing a bar under the sink cabinet to let the dirty ones dry on.

Posts: 566 | Registered: Jan 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of talkingrose
posted Hide Post
I usually drape the wet washcloth on the tub to air dry. In the morning, I put it in the hamper. I don't do laundry as often as I used to, but I haven't had any mildew or stinky problems with this method since using it.

Posts: 534 | Registered: Aug 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talkingrose:
I usually drape the wet washcloth on the tub to air dry. In the morning, I put it in the hamper. I don't do laundry as often as I used to, but I haven't had any mildew or stinky problems with this method since using it.

same here, talkingrose Smile

Posts: 2904 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of isabellaturner
posted Hide Post
We use a new washcloth every day (so that's 2 new dirty ones daily). The only way I've been able to make sure it doesn't mildew (I'm very allergic to it) is to put them in a super small white wastebasket in the bathroom. That way, when the basket gets full-ish, I know it's time. It's plastic so if need be, it can get a good bleaching. But with this "method" (ha ha) it has yet to happen.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post