Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  1 Bed, 2 people- 2 top sheets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 Bed, 2 people- 2 top sheets Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm tired of listening to my other half about how I steal the covers. Forget that he forms a bigger lump in the bed and therefore takes up more sheet to get up and over him. My old office mate said she had the same problem and use 2 sheets on the top of her bed, anyone know about this? How would you overlap them as to not drive you crazy with the edges?

Posts: 499 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
What about two twin sheets...and don't sweat the small stuff on the edges!

Posts: 17253 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
What size is your bed? You could buy just a flat sheet a size up, or buy two regular and stitch them together. This issue drives me nuts too. Can't find king sheets where the flat sheet has any allowance.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Now, when 95% or better of sheets are sold in "sets", this issue also makes me crazy. So yes, if you can buy a separate, up-sized sheet, that's the answer. If you already have a king bed, the best solution I can think of is to buy two twin sheets and sew them together.
I recently bought a queen set where the top sheet covers the mattress with a drop of barely enough to cover the 10-inch mattress sides. With two adults in the bed, there's little point in having a top sheet at all.
(While I'm on the subject of ill-fitting bedding, let me mention the fact that queen-size sets no longer include queen-size pillowcases; they have standard cases that are too short, too.)

The whole subject of sheets makes me livid, really. They're all such foreign cr*p ... None of them on the market are what we could buy when there were American mills producing quality percale sheets that would last more than a year, or two at best. The prices were proportionately much cheaper, too, considering I used to get 10 years or more life out of a set.

Here's my rant about sheets:
Thread count has absolutely nothing at all to do with quality. The public has bought into that lie hook, line, and sinker. In actuality, the higher the thread count, the less durable is the fabric and the sooner you'll have to replace those sheets. A higher number of threads equals thinner threads that abrade and break faster.

I haven't found even one brand/type/or fiber in the past 15 years that has the smoothness of the old-fashioned US-made percales. I dearly love a smooth, cool feel of a pillowcase against my cheek at night. It doesn't exist anymore in any store or at any price. Every single sheet I've purchased in that 15 years has been scratchy ... No matter what kind of cotton it purports to be ... Egyptian, Pima... whatever. Makes no difference.

Apparently, the definition of "soft" sheets is the same as "limp" sheets. I hate, hate, HATE limp sheets. They're hot and make a messy-looking bed.

If I had the means and gumption, I'd open a mill myself and make sheets the way they used to be. Since that can't be, I guess I have to resign myself to spending beaucoup bucks on a set of this junk every couple of years until I'm dead and gone.

Rant over.

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nettiejay - I could not have said it better myself! Wink

posted Hide Post
I read this as each person having their own sheet...no one to pull against.

As to quality...I am still using a set of sheets that are 25-30 years old. The top deep hem is getting worn so I tuck it at the foot of the mattress now. They are soft bit still crisp. I would LOVE to find more like them. I have a set of high thread count sheets on the other bed that have no body at all to them...they were like that when I took them out of the package...should have folded them and took them back for a refund.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KeepYouInStitches,

Posts: 17253 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Last year, I bought 5 sets of queen sized sheets at Costco. I first bought one to see if I liked them and then went back and 4 more sets over the span of a couple of months.
The fitted sheet will fit ANY depth mattress. The top sheet has enough on the edges that it covers our mattress, we have a sleep number bed....but I doubt it would cover an 10" mattress! The sets also come with 4 QUEEN sized pillow cases. They are actually big enough that they will just barely cover our king sized pillows.
These are 400 thread ct. and cost $40. The exact same sheets (same brand) cost double that at Amazon.
The brand is Charisma!

I've also replaced all of our towels with this brand from Costco. They are the absolute best towels I've ever had no matter the price.
They ABSORBE! They are all over sized...bath towels, hand towels & wash cloths. The bath towels cost $7 ea. and the wash cloths/hand towels come in sets of 2 ea. for $10. They also have bath sheets that are HUGE, but I've not bought any of those so don't know the price of them.

ETA...
In going to Amazon for a link, I've found they have lowered their price some, but still cheaper at Costco....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...%3Acharisma%20sheets

and the towel link....

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb...Ck%3Acharisma+towels

Amazon is all over the place on their prices on the towels!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
we have a sleep number bed....but I doubt it would cover an 10" mattress!

But 10" of thickness is nothing in today's bedding world. That's what I'm saying. I don't have an ultra-plush mattress like a sleep number or a thick pillowtop. Any top sheet appropriately sized for a queen bed should fit MY bed, but they're just too skimpy to fit over the bed plus the people sleeping in it. It's great you found something you really like. It seems your taste is different from mine, though. That's why there ought to be different styles for every taste and budget. There is sadly, absolutely no variety, so people like Sherry and me are just left out in the cold.

Sherry, I've been looking for crisp sheets for years. They just are not out there to be found. Target sells two different labels of "percale", which by definition should be what you and I want, but they're not. One is limp and scratchy; the other is stiff and scratchy. Some choice.

Oh yes... And has anyone noticed that more and more often, the washing instruction on this junk says to use COLD water?!? It'll BE a cold day when I wash my bedding in cold water. Roll Eyes

Bet you're all sorry you got me started, eh? Wink

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! I got everyone all fired up. I do eBay for my Bull Terrier Rescue charity and I have lots of brand new percale sheets still in the packages- mom tended to over buy- I have one set that says the style name is 'Grace Kelly" - how old are they??? Looks like I could make a killing on eBay- too bad they are all Full size. The reason they are still packaged is - the old ones last and last. One new brand that I have luck with is the llbean. I bought a percale top sheet there and Hubby NOTICED how smooth and cool it was. You know it had to be something else to get a man to notice.

Posts: 499 | Location: Cape Cod  | Registered: Oct 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahem...I sleep on the full-size bed (guest room) in the house. DH sleeps on "our" bed...a queen double pillow top which requires sheets at least 18" deep pockets which are nearly impossible to find - at a price I can afford.

(Snoring issues...he's retired...I work and HAVE to have some interrupted sleep!)

LL Bean - I'll have to look into that for the queen bed.

posted Hide Post
I don't know the make or brand my mother had on the guest bed, but DH and I both had problems. The set was some sort of microfiber and our jammies (sweatpants for him, microfiber for me) were like Velcro on those sheets! Unable to move at all and urgh just awful sheets.

We've got a pillowtop with a feather bed on top. I have to use the elastic clips to keep the corners on the bed, and the top sheet just covers the top.

I've also found that the sheets I have don't stay white. Discolored by age and don't bleach well.

I think this is a touchy issue simply because it is such a big factor in basic comfort (a good night's sleep) and incredibly expensive. Someone convinced the industry and consumers that pricey cotton and high thread count mattered more than personal comfort.

posted Hide Post
I bought some sheets a few years ago at a national chain. Supposedly high fiber count. They were terrible and it took lots of washings for them to be more comfortable. They were more scratchy than smooth. I had measured the new mattresses and the sheets were supposed to fit up to 2 inches deeper. They would not have fit deeper mattresses and barely fit mine. Have to put them back over the corners just about each night. I should have taken them back, even though I had washed them. Will put it this way----will not buy sheets there anymore.

The sheets sure are not what we were used to when we were growing up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Strings,

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6336 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, let me in on the sheet problems! I so understand what you guys mean. The sheets nowadays are horrible. I started a thread awhile back about the sheets. What the heck has happened? I think it wAs Conrad who gave an indepth explanation as to sheets nowadays and they simply are terrible. I, too, want the old percale sheets back that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I want crisp but soft sheets. Not available. I did find one set I liked at bed, bath, and beyond and they advertised right on the front of the package something about sheets like they used to be, cool and crisp. Sadly, the last time I went in there, I didn't see the brand again. Ack! I find this so frustrating!

Anyway, I like the idea of two sheets but understand what you mean about the seams. When we were kids, my best friend and I used to share her mom's full bed for sleepovers. We each had our own blanket (I don't recall having any sheets) and that worked out well.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Wow... Sure looks like misery has lots of good company here! It helps to know I'm not alone.

Good to know what microfiber is really like. Had wondered about that. Velcro... LOL

I just looked at LL Bean's percale. It looks very promising... Good reviews, generous cut, pockets sized just right. They're not exactly in my preferred budget range, but for something really good that will last for a while, I'd spend it. Thanks for that heads-up, sandlance.

Maybe if we organize a march on Washington, we could affect some sheet reform. Looks like we might have the numbers. Wink

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nettiejay:
But 10" of thickness is nothing in today's bedding world. That's what I'm saying. I don't have an ultra-plush mattress like a sleep number or a thick pillowtop. Any top sheet appropriately sized for a queen bed should fit MY bed, but they're just too skimpy to fit over the bed plus the people sleeping in it. It's great you found something you really like. It seems your taste is different from mine, though. That's why there ought to be different styles for every taste and budget. There is sadly, absolutely no variety, so people like Sherry and me are just left out in the cold.

Ok, your comment made me go measure....and they are plenty long...mine are queen sized sheets on a queen sized sleep number bed and they are currently hanging over by 13" on DH's side and 15" on my side.
And as I stated previously...the fitted sheet will fit ANY depth mattress...I have LOTS of excess to tuck on our mattress.

I think something many of you are forgetting about the crisp/soft sheets...they were 100% cotton and most of the time they were ironed. At least that was always my experience. The percale part was just some kind of treatment to the cotton.
And after getting teased back in about 1965 for ironing my sheets...I haven't ironed one since!

And after having had an experience with a micro fiber nightgown, there is no way in he!! I would have micro fiber sheets...and not flannel ones either...I stick to both of them like Velcro!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mother ALWAYS wore nylon gowns. She said she had to get out of bed to turn over if she wore cotton gowns. LOL

Someone I knew back when we were all younger, got a set of those 'satin' sheets. She said with her cute satiny jammies, she couldn't stay in the bed. LOL...if she rolled over she fell out.

Picture of Becky56
posted Hide Post
Do any of y'all remember several years ago that we had a sheet thread? I don't remember which forum it was in, might have been this one. But it was of the nature this one has taken. It went on for pages and months! I think I might have been the one that started it, complaining about sheets in general and how I would love to be able to find crisp, cool , percale sheets like I grew up sleeping on.

My last Goodwill find was finally ripping. Everything y'all have said about today's sheets is true. The closest I have come to those crisp cool percales is at Target. Their Simply Shabby Cic brand sheets are very much like them. The downside is that they are very limited in color choices. White or pale pink. I have the pale pink ones in my guest room but still have not bought the white because they don't match my master.

Posts: 3272 | Location: Bama G.R.I.T.S. | Registered: Jun 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both The Vermont Country Store and The Company Store advertise percale sheets and the reviews (if you can believe them) mention how cool, crisp they are. LL Bean as well.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sms29s66,

Posts: 3493 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pinecone476
posted Hide Post
This is making me grin. Both DH and I share a double bed! *gasp* He would love to go back to the queen size as he is over 6' tall.
DD just moved back to the area and was using a blow-up matress and borrowed some of our sheets as hers were on the moving van to arrive in a week. When I got them back she said were these a wedding present? I guess the 70's designs gave them away. Yep, 40 years and still in use. It looks like I better save the ones from Dad's house as I clean it out. I found some towels with my name tags on them from when I went to camp!

piney

Posts: 3216 | Location: New England, U.S.A. | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a set of wedding present sheets from the 1970s. Both were flat sheets. They are now lining cardboard boxes to keep DSs baby things from touching the cardboard. I don't think they were as long then as they are now. I had a hard time keeping the top sheet tucked under the foot of the mattress.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Another complaint about modern sheets and linens. I've read recent reviews about the poor quality of linens no matter what the price tag.

Fun and Info

Posts: 3586 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjf
posted Hide Post
and my fave are "re" brand at target in jersey, lol...and no they don't fall over the edge by much...11" depth mattress? most are 14" or more on queen/kings more for some..thinking the grace Kelly sheets must be from the 60's...

Posts: 8559 | Location: se mi | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm feeling better that I'm not the only one with 'vintage sheets' still in use. I'll have to take pics and post. I still have the pink stripes fronm the 60's and, just what a hoarder like
me needs- the previous owners of my new house left a whole TV boxful of sheets from the 70's!!!!! any takers?????

posted Hide Post
I'm not an ironer. The percale sheets I am talking about were often a combo of 60/40 (cotton/poly), 180 thread count. Muslin sheets were 110 or 130 thread count. 180 thread count percale wee perfect. They didn't really wrinkle if they were folded right out of the dryer and yet they were smooth and crisp, so to speak, looked great and lasted forever.

Gosh, I bought some Northern Nights wrinkle free all cotton sheets, goodness knows what the thread count was. Ok, they aren't bad but they are "limp," they're just not "right." I find all of this sheet stuff to be so frustrating and now they cost 2x more than what they used to cost and I'm not talking about all that many years ago.

I'll have to try that Target brand next time.

Posts: 6086 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NETTIE---you make my heart sing! I have one 25yr old sheet left of that lovely OLD 100%Cotton PERCALE. Mine was Wamsetta but I also had DAN RIVER brand (made in Northern Va. I visited their outlet once and thought I was in heaven!!)

IT used to be higher thread count was better but now NOT so. AND Egyptian cotton no longer means anything. I open the pkg. and FEEL the fabric--if it's sticky or stiff--I don't buy it.

I will say once I bought a quality Wamsetta sheet (made in Me.) and it would not feel smotth so I e-mailed them and THEY told me to wash it with 1cup white vinegar and NOW those sheets are WONDERFUL so any new sheets (always 100% cotton only) get vinegar wash/rinse. I do NOT like polyester in my sheets as then you get "pilling" which is those little balls of fuzz that I hate to feel with my feet!

THANK YOU NETTIE for saying what I've wanted to scream about in stores!

Posts: 1720 | Location: Allentown PA USA | Registered: Oct 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Isn't it strange how we all have our own specific standards for sheets? I happen to love flannel sheets or knit sheets in the winter time. Makes a world of difference in comfort level. And I sleep in cotton knit or cotton nightgowns, depending on season.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6732 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post