Our electricity was out and I burned candles on the mantle and they left black spots in two places. How do I clean it off? Mr. Clean eraser didn't do it.
Any candle or fire soot will have "greasy carbon residue" in it. (Unless you possibly burnt the wood itself with the flame?)
Something that will break down the oils/grease would be my suggestion. I would first try something mild/inert like a bit of Dawn dish soap in hot water. Dip a clean cloth in to see if this can clean the area.
Some have cleaned fireplace surfaces using Scrubbing Bubbles bath cleaner (fairly safe for painted surfaces). I would also use this on a cloth to try and lift the soil.
TSP powder cleaner dissolved in water would be a next step up, and rinse with clear water rag after.
I use an oily cleaning product for soot residue. Something like Goo Gone, Lestoil, or even Dawn. Whichever you choose, use it full-strength (undiluted with water) on a soft rag or piece of cotton. Wipe, re-folding the cloth or cotton frequently as it lifts off the soot. Finally, wipe off any cleaner residue with a clean, soft cloth dampened with soapy water, if needed.
Thanks guys, I have several of those things. I'll try them tomorrow.
Let us know how that works...I will have a white wood mantle in new house and I'm sure I'll 'do something' to it!!!!!!!! I'm my own worst enemy
so far no luck
Curious: could you tell us how the soot got on the white mantle? Normally smoke goes up, and dissipates, does not fall down around the candle holder. Or am I seeing this wrong?
If there was a cleanable residue, you may perhaps have sanded it down into the surface with the Mr Clean eraser? In that case a stain blocking primer and repaint may be necessary. I'd make sure to get a great washable paint to recoat with. (And perhaps some battery/electric candles)
Instead of using the candles I normally burn when the power goes off, I used the tall Christmas ones. There's a top to the mantle over the mirror that sticks out a little. All I would have had to do was pull the back two out a little. I'm really ticked at myself.
You know, I almost ordered some of those candles before Christmas just for that very use.This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sis2,
So perhaps what you have is a scorch mark from both heat and candle/wax wick soot?
I would just sand it down and prime/repaint.
btw: I think the battery candles are great for many places. The timer and remote operated ones are especially nice, and the batteries seem to last for months at a time.
Got a set of 4 at BB&Beyond that have 4 hour timers and once turned on, can come on same time each day. DS got me three that have a 4 or 8 hour timer and multicolors to choose on a remote. Very cool.
|Powered by Social Strata|