Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Surprising discovery
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surprising discovery Sign In/Join 
posted
I was trying to clean some rust stains from rusty water out of the tub. I had tried everything I had read, magic eraser, clr, fabric softener, peroxide with soda. It made it lighter but never removed it.
I was putting everything away and had in my hand the magic eraser and green scrubbing pad. I wondered which was best and rubbed one spot with the magic eraser and another with the scrubby. About the same result. Then I rubbed the same spot with the magic eraser first followed by the green scrubby. It came clean! I could not believe it.

Now I don't know if there was cleaning stuff from previous attempts left in the items which enhanced it but I thought they were rinsed off. It may not work for everyone but it is another thing to try because I did not scrub that hard. If you try it let me know how it works for you.

Posts: 7021 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I got the rusty stain out of our toilets by leaving toilet bowl cleaner in over a weekend while we were gone. I was so surprised. I even asked DH if he scrubbed his toilet. Dream on...

I also finally found a product my sister-in-law told me about. Iron Out. Found it in the local Ace Hardware. It works good too.

Posts: 17040 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I use Wink Rust Remover for rust stains, even on clothing. It works great!
Iron out works too, but I like the Wink better.
It comes in a brown bottle & Walmart carries it here in the household cleaner section.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4830 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post