Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Trashbag downsizing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trashbag downsizing? Sign In/Join 
posted
We have trash can in garage that takes 30gal. size bags. It is used for large stuff so only gets emptied every two months or so. So a box of bags lasts a long time.

I insert a bag in the can, stretching around the top. The generic bags (great value) didn't even stretch around the top so I bought some Hefty. They went around the top fine but after a few things were thrown so it held a little weight it pops off the top and won't go back on. So frustrating.

The box says it is 2'9" long. I don't think I've ever checked the length before. I wonder if they have been downsized like so many other products.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a bag that stays in and what size does it say it is?

Posts: 7288 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
I can't address the bag size since I don't use those, but at church camp one time one of the preacher-men stood up and asked for the women to save their panty hose for him. Talk about raised eyebrows. He then had to explain that he tied them around the outside of the trashcans to hold the bag in place. Wink

Posts: 17376 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
It isn't downsizing. It's REsizing. 30 gallons are 30 gallons. But, that 30 gallons might be short and wide, or, tall and narrow.

Our trash needs are different, so I can't specifically recommend a particular bag.

Posts: 4621 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
My neighbor and I discussed how we recycle. We both agreed that this keeps our use of trash liners down quite a bit! Every little bit helps! There are times I'll ask for paper instead of plastic to help with the recycling. Recycle will take the paper vs. the plastic. lol It's probably different somewhere else.

Posts: 5238 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
Metwo, we don't use trash can liners so I can't answer the question you asked. Just wanted to comment that if you can't find bags that are long enough maybe you could put something (empty box, stack of newspapers) in the bottom of the can before putting the bag in place? That way you would have something to support the weight of the stuff in the bag so it doesn't get pulled away from the top of the can.

Martha

Posts: 7191 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
quote:
we don't use trash can liners so

Martha, this really has my interest.

We now have a garbage disposal for rinds, peelings, etc.

What do you do that you don't use liners for trash? How do you deal with bathroom waste? Boxes waste, like facial tissue boxes, the occasional food box, etc.? What about meat packaging?

This could really just be location dependent. We have to haul our trash (or pay for it twice a week since we are not in the city--rather a subdivision just across the street from city limits).

I'm a bugaboo about maggots--I still have the occasional nightmare about them because my parents didn't use trash can liners.

So, how you do it is of interest to me.

Posts: 4621 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bozie
posted Hide Post
What I meant is that we don't use the huge liners for the can that gets picked up by the road every week. We do use an assortment of empty containers and/or plastic bags to hold anything that might ooze into the can. Same for used tissues, Q-tips. dental floss. Things than can't be rinsed enough to guarantee that they won't get stinky (shrimp shells, the absorbent pads in the bottom of trays of meats for example) we keep in a plastic bag, usually one of the plastic shopping bags, in the freezer and Hubby takes them out and puts them in the can just before he wheels it down to the road for pickup. Bathroom waste??? We do have indoor plumbing. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bozie,

Martha

Posts: 7191 | Location: Montana | Registered: Mar 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Martha, for explaining. Now I understand.

Bathroom waste is what I call qtips, tissue, floss, etc.

posted Hide Post
Martha, thank you for the idea. The way things were going I was going to put the trash bag on the floor and take the can to the dump.Smile

Putting some cardboard (that is what I have the most of right now)in the bottom should work.

I thought maybe they had made the plastic more stretchy so a smaller bag held the same amount. I have no idea how they measure these sort of things.

Posts: 7288 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use big long rubber bands to keep our trash bag in place in our trash can. For the bigger garbage can size bags, we just drape them over the gc and the bag seems to stay in place.

love life

Posts: 1569 | Location: omaha, ne U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
Bird seed bags.
We keep the 25 lb. bags and use those in the under-sink garbage can. Save on the plastic garbage bags. Sometimes we use a 50 lb. seed bag in the can that goes out for pickup. (We try to reuse things as much as possible.)

Have you tried leaf bags for your can?

When we do use a 30 gal., it fits fine.

Posts: 5967 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post