Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Smelly Washing machine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smelly Washing machine Sign In/Join 
posted
My front-loading washer has developed a bad odor over the last month or so. I use my own home-made laundry soap. I ran one cycle through with just 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 cup vinegar. I don't think there was any appreciable difference, it still smells.
Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can do?

Posts: 282 | Location: Pa | Registered: Jan 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Many of them have a wash drum cleaning cycle. (Both of my LG's do anyway). Did you check your owner's manual, or the on line version of directions for your model washer?

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I put a "dallop" of white vinegar in mine every time I'm done washing for the day. It's over 3 yrs. old and I've not had any smells. I also wipe it dry and clean my detg./softener/bleach drawer about once a month.

I also make my own laundry detg.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Once you get it clean...

Be sure and read your manual. Many front loaders suggest leaving the door open. That is what I do...just an inch or two is all the room I have because the washer is just inside the laundry room and the door would open into it. I also have some old wash cloths in the cabinet above the machine. After laundry, I take a cloth and wipe the inside of the door and the gasket in front of the tub...making certain to dip down in the gasket to get it dry.

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
I've heard reports that a lot of front loading washers have that problem. Its from crud growing in the tiny amount of water left in the washer at the end of the load. Leave the washer door fully open when its not running. That will help some.

Read the manual or visit the manufacturer's website for other ways to fight the smell.

Posts: 8582 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a product sold for odor removal. I THINK it was from Tide and I saw it either at Walmart or Target.

Posts: 6052 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it seem odd to anyone else that you pay more for a kitchen appliance and then you have to baby it?

Posts: 6720 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Just one of those things where different consumers and different brand/model appliances can produce a variety of experiences. (both good and not good)

Posts: 9428 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ladies, for all the advice. I've tried bleach and bleach with an additional cleaner. It didn't seem to do much. Right now I am running the washer with a cleaner put out by Tide. There are (3) envelopes of cleaner, use one and more later to keep it clean. Thanks again for the help.

Posts: 282 | Location: Pa | Registered: Jan 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
metwo - Yep. I'm going old-fashioned next washer/dryer set I get. May have to go to Mexico to get it! I know - like that will happen! sigh Pay more and get less...

Posts: 16461 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't have to go out country. I just bought an old fashioned set of washer and dryer. Half to a third of the price of these front loaders and no babying. And no, I am not concerned by the water use or how my clothes are suppose to last longer . I actually wish they would wear out so I won't feel guilty buying new.

Posts: 6720 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post