Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microwaves Sign In/Join 
posted
Our 14 year old microwave just had it. Does anyone recommend a real good quality one as it will definitely have to be replaced? It was rather large as we entertain often and I like to be able to place large bowls etc. inside--the original was a combo-convection and do you know we never used that feature so don't need it. I don't want an over-range-hood fan type, just a regular model as I have space built-in for it. Doesn't have to be fancy, but I often use it for defrosting too.

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Handie Ann
posted Hide Post
I just replaced my microwave with a GE a very large one. It will take a large bowl.

Handie Ann

Posts: 3507 | Location: Des Moines, Wa. USA | Registered: Jan 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So excited! Went to several stores to get an idea today...our last stop Sears - only to find our local Sears store is closing Sat. Well to make a long story short, we found a Panasonic Inverter - slightly LARGER than our old one at 50% off...so we found the deal of the century and my brand new microwave is in the kitchen as I write. Must be our lucky day!

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New types, designs, colors and styles of microwaves keep coming with additional features. If your oven is old and does not have those features which you want, then you may have to replace your old one with a new one.

Posts: 29 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by suedorcoo:
So excited! Went to several stores to get an idea today...our last stop Sears - only to find our local Sears store is closing Sat. Well to make a long story short, we found a Panasonic Inverter - slightly LARGER than our old one at 50% off...so we found the deal of the century and my brand new microwave is in the kitchen as I write. Must be our lucky day!

Wow! What perfect timing! Congratulations on getting a good deal.

Posts: 1827 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the years we have had Panasonics. Have been very pleased with them. First one lasted the longest. Another one went due to human error.

My Mom's lasted the longest and it was a Panasonic also. Ds used it after my parents passed away. Think it went due to human error also.

Strings

Friends divide our sorrows and multiply our joys.

Posts: 6257 | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Late to the party here, but:

We have a Panasonic Genius Prestige. It is the ONE appliance I will really miss in this house. Hope we can find another for the other home to eventually replace the one there!

It cooks oatmeal to perfection all by itself at a certain oatmeal setting. Frozen vegetables or fresh...auto cooks no matter how much or little you have in it. Baked potatoes...one up to four and it can tell when they are done....no special instructions.
The inverter defrost feature is great, and does not inadvertently cook the food...just defrosts, based on approximate weight and type of meat.

I LOVE this microwave. Hope yours turns out as good!

Posts: 9594 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everybody that visited said our M/W didn't heat as well as theirs - we just let it slide. Apparently, they were right...our new one completely heats a plate in 1 min. (almost too hot to handle) and 30 seconds warms up sandwiches etc. Used to take up to 4 min. to do a small bowl of frozen peas....1-1/12 min. now....didn't think 14 years would have made such a difference, but they must have improved over the years!

Picture of M-ma
posted Hide Post
We have a GE, bought from Lowe's.
Does the job.
No complaint.

Be aware all new microwaves come with a very thin plastic coating. Peel that off!

Posts: 5924 | Location: western PA | Registered: Sep 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post