Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  Marble installation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marble installation Sign In/Join 
posted
I am in the middle of a bath remodel. The contractor is putting marble on all sides of the bath tub and also on the ceiling. I noticed that the contractor installed Purple Board for all the walls, but did not install the purple board to the ceiling. The marble ceiling is adhered to the original textured ceiling. Can anyone confirm if this is acceptable or not?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When we remodeled, we had marble installed on the floor of the walk in shower tiles were 2 x 2 and master bath floor tiles were 13 x 13. Large granite tiles 18 x 18 installed on the shower walls. The walls and floors had cement backer board installed. The entire shower had an additional rubber liner installed and then several coatings of some waterproofing. The floor of the shower had a custom tray and drain installed. If we had tiles on the ceiling that also would have had special board installed. If you put tiles on regular wallboard or green board, the moisture will get behind the tiles and you will have problems. My entire development had the walls crumble and the tile collapse when the original builder put in our baths. I would tell him to stop until you get some other professional opinions.

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
If you will have any mitred corners, make sure they do them right. I complained about ours and then they just ground them down...look awful. What they should have done was fill in the gaps and smooth, not use a GRInDER!!!!!!!!

Posts: 2795 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post