Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  GETTING RED OUT OF GREY VAN CARPET
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GETTING RED OUT OF GREY VAN CARPET Sign In/Join 
Picture of michelle1538
posted
A friend spilled red pop...or fruit juice..or energy drink in my van so now I have a red spot a little bigger than my hand ....any suggestion ...has been there at least a week and I have been trying to get it out dang it,,,

Posts: 1728 | Location: livin in the mitten | Registered: Mar 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
A hot water extraction cleaner like a hoover, bissel or Rug Doctor. Use the hottest water possible. Auto carpet is nylon, the heat won't set the stain, but will help remove it. You can use any steam cleaning detergent with it, or in a pinch just a bit of ammonia diluted in the water. Continue to rinse, and vacuum the water out till clear.

Posts: 9441 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
If you want to try "Spot Shot" carpet cleaner it may also help a bit, but you may still have a stain remaining till you use the extraction cleaner.

Posts: 9441 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of michelle1538
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone I will try those tomorrow I am done for the night I appreciate the suggestions.
Spot shot didn't do it but I might give it another try.

Posts: 1728 | Location: livin in the mitten | Registered: Mar 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Bummer! Red is about the worst color to get out of fiber. Good luck getting it out.

When my son was small, we did not eat or drink in my car/pickup. One day he and his daddy went someplace in my car. Dad bought them drinks. Son spilled his. Dad said, "Your mama is going to be mad at you." Son responded, "Not me. You're responsible. Mama doesn't let me drink in her car." (Red carpet, orange drink.)

How did I find out? Honest little children tell all!! Smile

Posts: 16558 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoW
posted Hide Post
Another thing you can try is Nature's Miracle or any other pet stain removal product. They are formulated to remove pee, poop, and puke stains. They might also remove stains left by food or beverages.

And then there's the expensive option. Take the car to a service that "details" cars. It won't be cheap but if the stain can be removed they can do it.

Posts: 8582 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
We had light carpet when we first moved into this house. Under the dining room table was red stain (probably cool aide or juice) and I was afraid it was permanent. Anyway the extraction cleaner removed it just fine.

If you have a steam cleaner or even a wet/dry shop vac, you can try a small amount of boiling water over the stain and then blot or vacuum it out too.

Picture of michelle1538
posted Hide Post
Well my brother in law is a detailer but I don't think I can afford him LOL

OK Natures Miracle and DID YOU SAY BOILING WATER CONRAD.

What about RIT the dye remover stuff.

I got red dye off my white vinyl floor with green denture cleaners....

Keep the suggestions coming I have not tried rubbing alcohol yet either.

I tried nail polish remover....did not work.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Steam carpet cleaning trucks use nearly boiling temperature water and that is why their cleaning is often so much more successful. So that and some sort of detergent (you probably still already have some Spot Shot residue on the surface) is what I would use. Once the area is wet, vacuum it out. Keep rinsing with sprays of more hot water and vacuuming it.

Nail polish remover? You are lucky the carpet did not melt/dissolve! lol

Rit dye remover might just work if all else fails.

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
How is the carpet now? Pink or grey?