Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   At Home
Hop To Forums   Cleaning & Organizing
  How to get grease out of granite???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to get grease out of granite??? Sign In/Join 
Picture of CJO
posted
We've never had granite before and I find it 'sensitive'. I just didn't realize that a bit of oil/grease would spread. I tried pouring a thick bunch of baking soda on it and that seemed to help, but I didn't do that til the next day. I don't think anyone would probably notice, but still...

We try to be careful, but.....

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Some suggestions to try below? If you have not had success yet.
http://www.finishing.com/113/03.shtml

Posts: 9598 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Tx Conrad...it's looking better; think I'll leave it be since it is a couple weeks old anyway.

Appreciate you finding/sharing the link. )

Posts: 2863 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This probably calls for a professional. Some stains will not come out--I had grease stains around my cooktop. I've replaced the cooktop and the granite with a darker kind that doesn't stain so easily. Some granites must be sealed. If you drop some water on the granite and it sinks in and doesn't bead on the top of the granite, you must get it sealed or else it will soak up every kind of liquid, for example red wine, catsup etc. If your granite needs sealing, it must be done on a regular basis. Talk to someone at a granite shop, not a big box store and see if you can get someone to come out and give you some advice. There are products at the big box stores to seal stone but first you want to get the stain out before you seal the granite.

Posts: 3164 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
FYI, since we're on this topic tho it doesn't help the OP. If you're buying granite for a new countertop, especially the kitchen area, inquire about a DuPont sealer that's said to be guaranteed for 15 yrs., but must be applied by the fabricator before instillation. I passed on it because our new slab is intended for bathrooms not so prone to issues as in a kitchen area and therefore must be sealed periodically. Just wanted to inject this tidbit for those in the market for granite.

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Froo Froo
posted Hide Post
CJO, this article may be of help, but DO consult with your fabricator BEFORE applying anything. Good luck and let us know how things turned out.
http://www.natural-stone.com/stainremoval.html

Posts: 18648 | Location: Right here, duh! ;) | Registered: Nov 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post