Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Crafts
Hop To Forums   Scrapbooking
  How to start....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to start.... Sign In/Join 
posted
So, I've never really given scrap booking much thought until recently, and with me being a stay at home mom soon, I wanted to start some scrap booking and photo albums. I just really don't know where to start or how to go about it. Any ideas, suggestions, help?

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of granny3641
posted Hide Post
Hi Emy....welcome to the boards. Congrats on the new little one on the way.

I don't do scrapbooking, but I do know Michael's give lessons and ideas. And if you do a search you will come up with lots of lessons on how to start. Also Youtube will have video's.

The boards are being really slow (not many people) right now. Think it has to do with summer, etc. But don't give up, I'm sure someone will come along to help you.
And I'm really glad you jumped in. Check out the other craft boards while your here.

Jean

Good friends are like stars...You don't always see them, but you always know they're there.

Posts: 10031 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: Jan 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craftycookie
posted Hide Post
Hi Emy,

This website & forums have a lot of great ideas & they have a forum just for scrapbooking.
www.splitcoaststampers.com

Cookie

Posts: 1157 | Location: North Central AZ | Registered: Dec 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I do appreciate it, and I'll check out youtube videos and the website. And I've heard of Michaels, we just don't one have in this area Razz But thanks, hopefully these will get me started ^.^

It's better to burn out than to fade away.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainee
posted Hide Post
You can buy complete kits with albums, paper, stickers, and more to complete an album and most kits come with ideas on how to put your pages together. Craft stores sell them but if you are not close to one check out HSN and Overstock.com. You can usually find very good deals on complete kits. (be sure to check HSN's CLEARANCE).

http://www.hsn.com/products/se...sert-springs/6793380

http://www.overstock.com/searc...ts&SearchType=Header

At Overstock S&H is free over $50 but only $2.95 if under that amount to most destinations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rainee,

"Welcome to reality would you like some popcorn?"

Posts: 3203 | Location: The Emerald City, WA | Registered: Apr 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hey emybear88, don't worry me too, i'm just getting started aswell. just by joining up here has helped me alot.my friends are getting me into it and helping me alot also but everyone on here seems really helpful.i've been told that splitcoaststampers site is good too by a friend of mine. goodluck! Smile

Posts: 2 | Location: USA | Registered: Aug 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PatV82
posted Hide Post
I still have the two scrapbooks I did in high school, so I guess I have been doing this awhile - 35 yrs!

Scrapbooking is not expensive.
-I use Shutterfly or Archivers store for photo printing, but shop around for the best deal for you.
-Start simple and work you way into it.
-Embellishments can be something as simple as a movie ticket, note on a napkin, cigar band, paper menu. Stickers, charms, ribbons and embellishments add Pop to a page as well.
-Don't shy away from your own handwritten journaling - or that of your mother or child. It may not be as "pretty" as magazine slick pages, but those little personal touches are treasures.
-You can't have too many or too few photos. It's about what you want.
-Visit your local scrapbook store - we have Archivers near me - and work on a project in their space. Diecuts, punches are often free, not too mention all the free advice.

Have Fun. And remember this is about saving memories.

www.pinterest.com/patv82

personallybypat.tumblr.com

Posts: 483 | Location: Aurora, Illinois | Registered: Jan 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Hi! When I first walked through the Hobby Lobby store in their scrap booking section, I was so overwhelmed... and couldn't imagine anyone having the time/patience for it.

As another poster mentioned, the kits are a great way to get started; after that you may not know how to stop Big Grin

I'm retired now and my DH let me have a whole room for scrap booking, etc. He just bought me a U shaped desk set and a comfy chair.

I've made four scrap books...all for my grandchildren. Wish I had made copies of them for my self...ha!

Hope u enjoy being a SAHM and enjoy scrap booking as well!

Posts: 2865 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Emybear,
I have been playing around with scrapbooking for a while and like to use the quick page scrapbooking that you can get on many sites for free. I use them as my background sometimes and place the original or copies of the photos in the pre made frame areas. Sometimes I use the elements to digitally put my own page together and sometimes I try to insert the digital photos on the scrap page but my photos don't turn our very clear that way. Then at times, I make my page using scrap book paper. I will send a copy of a page I made for myself and framed , using our sons photos from YEARS ago.

Posts: 2369 | Location: southern IL | Registered: Feb 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Indexlady
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to start with the end in mind.

I started scrapping, and then realized my home will never be big enough to contain all the pages. Thinking of doing it for others? Same thing.

Scrapbooked pages can use up many page holders. There is only so much wall space for scrapped pictures--in anyone's home.

Let's say a person scraps birthdays for their children, holidays, and vacations. Unless retraint is used, in 10 years, there will be dozens upon dozens--if not hundreds--of scrapbooked books/holders.

So, to start, think what is the single most important subject to you.

Focus only on one subject. Then, when you go shopping, do not look at other subject matter. Stay focused.

This limits the overwhelming process and saves by not purchasing the other items.

Also, think only a page or two at a time, until you find out how quickly the creative process comes to you. It can be more time-consuming for some. If you have planned a large project with hundreds of pictures, it can become tedious and boring to make each page into something cohesive.

Subscribe to a magazine for ideas, or get a "page map" book. Otherwise, all your pages will "look the same," no matter WHAT the subject.

HTH.

Posts: 4486 | Location: In the beautiful Tennessee Valley, between the Cumberland Plateau and the Great Smoky Mountains. | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post