Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Love it or List it
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love it or List it Sign In/Join 
posted
Just saw the latest episode of love it or list it with Kasha and Patrick, and i love the concept of this new show. I love HGTV I have been watching since I was a kid,

but is it just me or does almost every couple that shows up on these shows-- love it or list it, house hunters, property brothers, property virgins-- is the requirement to be on the show, well, MEAN? I mean, it might make for good television but it is such a turn off to watch these people with low budgets and unrealistically high expectations be so nasty to the designers and realtors about what they want!!! It's getting to be too much HGTV-- please pick classier, less nasty, demanding, and ungrateful people to be on your shows.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they are supposed to show us conflict!

Today I just thought over acting- and pictured the Keystone Kops!

Posts: 342 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love HGTV dislike love it or list it can't wait till it gets replaced by something more postive and not so phony.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Work, Welcome to the Board. Hope you will visit and post with us.

Marylee

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, I hate how unrealistic homeowners are about renovations. I think Hilary does lovely work, but no one gives her a reasonable amount of money to do it. I find it frustrating!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything about this show seems fake to me. From the most obvious things like the designer not having a meeting with the HVAC guy until the middle of the show, right down to the contrived barbs between the spouses. Of course that's just my opinion, and certainly somebody must like this show, considering it was on other networks before HGTV.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The previews for the show "Love it or List it" were quite appealing however after 2 episodes, my husband and I refuse to watch it. It is strangely uncomfortable to watch. The hosts are rude and quite frankly annoying, unlike the understanding hosts on other shows that also provide comic relief. I find the concept interesting however the hosts should either change their attitude or be replaced. I love HGTV but dislike this show.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mezzaluna, I absolutely agree with your critique. We tried watching this again, and the hosts do create a very uncomfortable viewing experience. The real estate agent seems very untrustworthy to me, like some kind of creepy used car salesman, and the designer comes off both unprepared and short tempered.

Once again we are watching HGTV, and asking what we usually ask..."who are these people and how did they get a television show?".

Posts: 1790 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
HGTV is simply trying to imitate the drama of the "Hosewives of whatever State" programming.
They have tapped into the reality show mentality, and obviously think that it works.
If you are able to see these program and take whatever you think it may be positive for you, is what you need to do.
Most of these shows should be disposed off, and hopefully we will be able to see good designing programs and other types of programming that would really entice all of the HGTV viewers.

Posts: 5010 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This show has been airing in Canada on the W network for the last couple of years. The episodes now airing on HGTV USA are old, but actually have a new narrator voice. When the show first started, I liked it! But, then it became so FAKE. The fake conflicts & bad acting are a total turn off. One thing that annoys me is that the realtor is essentially given $100,000+ to find a new house, but the designer is given $15,000. How is that fair.

I like the premise of the show, and wish the producers would keep the drama out of it. We are tuning in to see design, not drama.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that it is totally unfair to give the realtor an additional $100,000 or more, and only $30,000 for remodeling, AND THEN the realtor doesn't even have to stay in the area they stipulated. I think the homeowners plan on moving and just use Hillary and the show to get twice as much for their remodeling dollars. None of the homeowners stay in the house during the remodeling process, they've already packed up and moved out!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We did try watching this one more time. Something about this show seems so dishonest. I can't put my finger on it but I feel like everyone involved is a B grade actor. The designer and the real estate agent included, no one seems real or honest.

posted Hide Post
Agree, more HGTV drama. I'd love to see a postmortem on the homeowners' subsequent sales of their existing homes, YellowCat. I've never known anyone to score 2X on their reno dollars for resale purposes.

Posts: 593 | Registered: Feb 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm watching this show for the first time. I have seen previews for the show, but never had the opportunity to watch it. Now, on this episode there is this couple who's (the DH's) mother is living there. My take on this: Mother needs her own place. If she can afford to go overseas during this show, she can get her own place. I guess I was put out when she said that she has issues with them entertaining in late into the evening and she wants quiet time. Well considering this couple is young,thing like this happen. So if she does not like it, move.

Posts: 67 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have to agree with most of you. i can not stand to watch this show anymore. not only is hillary rude and obnoxious but she has no budget sense. when she says "i don't have enough money to do the bathroom" and then the kitchen has custom cabinets and granite counters, i wonder where her priorities are to get as much done as possible for the homeowners. she needs to talk to "Income Property", now that man can stretch a buck. there are so many options that she doesn't seem to look for. are the only people they can find to be on these shows the ones with no concept of home remodeling? won't watch this show again.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The concept behind this show is so interesting, but it's ruined because of the hosts. The decorator in particular is so bitter and appears to do no research before she starts the project. She is so rude to the contractors when they tell her that you can't take down a load-bearing wall... and so nasty to homeowners when they express concern over her plans to take out the closets. It's painful to watch!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of this show, but it is so scripted. There is no way that anyone could honestly be upset with a designer running out of money when it is discovered that they have to get a whole new roof and their budget was only 20,000 to start with.

I can not even watch the show anymore. It makes me so uncomfortable knowing that it is all staged.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love HGTV but I refuse to watch Love It or List It. Where do you find these people? They are the most obnoxious, angry people. Since most of them end up staying in their homes, it seems like they just do the show to have their house redone. Worst show ever!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rita311:

... Where do you find these people?

Since most of them end up staying in their homes, it seems like they just do the show to have their house redone.

My sentiments exactly!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 1026 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of malibu2u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Work:
I love HGTV dislike love it or list it can't wait till it gets replaced by something more postive and not so phony.

I totally agree with you! This show is one of the worst HGTV had done.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of malibu2u
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love HGTV but I refuse to watch Love It or List It. Where do you find these people? They are the most obnoxious, angry people. Since most of them end up staying in their homes, it seems like they just do the show to have their house redone. Worst show ever!

I am wondering if they have found anyone who lists their house. I had to stop watching it!

Posts: 8 | Registered: Dec 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad quality "reality TV". Please, take this show off the air before your viewers loose all respect for HGTV.

Posts: 20 | Location: United States | Registered: Dec 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of n.debrabant
posted Hide Post
I like this show. I don't care for the homeowners who expect a lot done with little money. Is it really Hillarys' fault when uncover problems with the house? No, they should be grateful she found them. A ceiling falling done that lead to a infeior ceiling jost that might have collopsed the whole thing. She is not Mike Holmes. She can't redo a whole house for rediculous small buget.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Sep 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My big issue with Hillary, besides the fact that I think she is too abrupt, is that I don't believe she is really a designer. A professional designer gets a budget from the clients, and then gets quotes from their tradespeople first. Then based on what the cost is going to be, there is a presentation, with the designer expaining to the client before any work starts what they can or cannot have based on the budget and the wish list. It is at this point that the client has the oppotunity to raise the budget or sacrifice some design details to stick to the original cost perameters.

At no time is it up to the designer to arbitrarily change the plan or the budget without the consent/approval of the client.

Once again HGTV insists on giving the general public the wrong impression of how designers handle their business in an effort to be entertaining.It is really insulting to the design community at large.

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Hilary is always telling the wife, I will give you everything you want.the next thing she tells the wife, we can't do that after all. I laugh because Hilary never understands why the wife wants to rip her head off and throw it in her face, after she tells them that she messed up again.Every show is the same old thing with the, "Oh Gee whiz, I can't do all of that."

html

Posts: 2522 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with most posters here. I tried to keep an open mind and watched a couple of the episodes but it was just so uncomfortable that I had to stop. The designer and the agent just don't seem authentic to me and everything is so staged (the anger of the client and the "challenges" the renovation runs into, etc). I know a lot of the other shows in HGTV are staged as well (i.e. House Hunters), but this one is just so so obvious that I just can't stand it. I am also not a fan of Hilary's designs, very cookie-cutter model home kinda look.

The thing is that HGTV is so heavily promoting this show. Every time when there are commercial breaks during other shows, the promotion for this show is the first thing to come up. I am sorry, this is causing me to quickly switch the channel and miss all the other commercials. So note to advertisers: as long as the promotion of this show comes on during every commercial break, I won't be watching any other advertising on HGTV because I have already switched to another channel.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HGTV, this show is probably the weakest on your line up. One question, is the requirement for the homeowner to be the most ungrateful and oblivious people on earth? Do the Producers intentionally find homeowners with most problem prone homes (electrical, plumbing and heating issues) of the homeowners with the world's smallest budgets that DEMAND new kitchens, all new bathrooms?

Every couple (on Episodes I've watched) are completely clueless about the cost and potential pitfalls to renovations AND the most demanding , egotistical people. After watching every episode it's time for another high blood pressure pill.

How about actually spending your money on a show that help homeowners who have been adversely affected by the downturn in the economy and help real people, who would just be grateful for the opportunity to fix problems in the homes or just get a face lift in hard times?

Sorry HGTV but this show gets TWO thumbs down!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How about actually spending your money on a show that help homeowners who have been adversely affected by the downturn in the economy and help real people, who would just be grateful for the opportunity to fix problems in the homes or just get a face lift in hard times?

Wouldn't that be a wonderful show!

Posts: 342 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This show is so predictable. The third house will be the best one and Hilary will find some sort of major problem with the renovation. Come on, let's get some variety into the show. Also, the arguments between all of them are really staged badly.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by InSedona:
I agree with most posters here. I tried to keep an open mind and watched a couple of the episodes but it was just so uncomfortable that I had to stop. The designer and the agent just don't seem authentic to me and everything is so staged (the anger of the client and the "challenges" the renovation runs into, etc). I know a lot of the other shows in HGTV are staged as well (i.e. House Hunters), but this one is just so so obvious that I just can't stand it. I am also not a fan of Hilary's designs, very cookie-cutter model home kinda look.

I agree totally I cannot stand this show and I feel like its being crammed down our throat. I guess it must be doing well or they wouldn't do it, but I really don't like it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
I have to agree,this show irratates the h*** outta me,I don't believe I have seen one show where something DIDN'T go wrong and all the expectations were met? same on property brothers,how much do these people have to keep spending to get what they want???? No wonder most of them LIST IT LOL Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Confused Confused Eek Mad

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it seems unanimous. This show is highly irritating and too contrived. Both of the hosts are rude and, basically, appear to be incompetent. I hope HGTV sees that this program needs to be cancelled.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klusch:
Well, it seems unanimous. This show is highly irritating and too contrived. Both of the hosts are rude and, basically, appear to be incompetent. I hope HGTV sees that this program needs to be cancelled.

lol...extremely irritating.....i dont get why its still on the air..

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may still be on the air because its like a train wreck- I have to watch......

Picture of n.debrabant
posted Hide Post
I don't think the host are rude, just handicapped by what they are given. You can't have a wish list full of everything and expect to get it cheap. Hillary is given a usually small budget for fixing up the house. She can't see what is behind walls, ceilings or floors. When she opens up the place and finds unexpected problems and informs the homeowner is when I can't understand their reaction. She can't help it if the wall they want removed is load bearing and if she moves it the house will fall down. They still want it removed. Stupid people. It cost a lot to put steel beams in to take they load. Is it her fault the plumbing is all wrong and rusted? No, they complain and grip. And David has the hard task of trying to find a better house in the neighborhood for the same price. You can't move up without paying more. At least he tries. (Although some of the places I've seen, I wouldn't want either. Smaller bedrooms for one.)
I'd love for Hillary to come to my place and give me ideas. I could sure use them.

posted Hide Post
Some of the problems Hillary finds, would bite the homeowners eventually when they go to sell or down the road if they decide to love it.(ie plumbing, roof etc). If they don't cough up money to fix a problem they would have anyway, then they deserve to have it come out of the remodeling budget.

I'm kind of feeling more on Hillarys side than on the homeowners at this time.

Posts: 227 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
I also have to agree with the latter posts, there are discloser laws and any major problems HAVE to be reported to the buyer or they can sue the pants off you,Hilary really can't help some of these major problems that come up,so why in heavens name invest in a different property with possible new set of problems? just wondering???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing about this show- it has us talking!

posted Hide Post
True! I've never felt compelled to write in about a TV show.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Love it or List it, but definitely see a pattern. Hillary makes promises based on the homeowners pipe dream of having all the rooms remodeled/expanded without a sufficient budget. There is always an issue with some unforeseen problem…electrical, plumbing, code violation,etc.

Hilary’s design style is very pleasing to the eye, it takes into consideration the owners may remain in the house and the updated style is functional, there was one episode where the kitchen was well destigned...may have been the show with Desta.

On the other hand, David initially shows the couple 2 bad houses then the last house they show is the house the couple chooses to buy, if they do decide to list their current home.

Obviously, they need some kind of drama to extend the show to one hour. But I will keep watching, I am always inspired by the before & after versions of the updated spaces. Smile

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of n.debrabant
posted Hide Post
Ok, I'm watching the repeat of McKeon-Bryce show. Those people were unrealistic. Nothing pleased them at all. Who would take a three bedroom house and turn it into two? I would. In fact I have been thinking along those lines. I have a small bedroom and it would make either a nice larger bathroom,I could then turn the very small bathroom into a laundry room, or a nice large walk in closet.
I wish I had the money right now to do it. People on the show want miricles. Not enough money to fix things and get really upset when things they find crop up. Better to find them now than go blindly along until disaster strikes later.

Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I saw the premier and thought "this show has something others didn't" The latest with all the drama had me decide to not watch.

I can get ideas without the drama.

Posts: 5221 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hosts don't bother me as much as the clients do. Some I would like to smack across the kisser. They are so mean and downright nasty.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like love it or list it.
She is given a budget. She goes to show the contractor what she wants. Then they have already started on remodeling and now it is going to cost more to go back and fix it or tear it down. If they were good designers and contractors they would have gone over everything before the work even started.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavern2:
quote:

Since most of them end up staying in their homes, it seems like they just do the show to have their house redone.

Since we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here wouldn't it be " My sediments exactly" ?

posted Hide Post
I can't watch any more! They most be actors, you can have conflict without being nasty? It's unrealistic to do what these homeowners expect. I also hate how the contractors make decisions without checking with Hilary and Hilary does not formally talk to homeowners first. This show should be on Disney Channel or something. They must think we are stupid to believe this! I'm so over it.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is the most obnoxious show on this network. Hilary and David's attitudes and styles are akin to fingernails on a chalkboard.

I will not watch this show because it's too over the top.

She always has problems, and he whines all the time.

So annoying.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 03, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
quote:
Originally posted by lavern2:
quote:

Since we're scraping the bottom of the barrel here wouldn't it be " My sediments exactly" ?

Too funny, Charles. And, can you imagine either of us telling our clients "Oh, yes, I know you wanted this and this, however we ran into a teensy little problem so we're going to have to cut that part of it out but we'll make the remaining items on your list look really good". I don't think either of us would be in business very long!

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is truely an awful show. The realtor is so conceited it is annoying. A non-design issue always comes up and destroys all design plans. If you really want to follow the premise of the show, give the design team a chance and make up for the furnace breaking down or the basement leaking. Not to mention the over acting. Please either fix this awful show or put us all out of our misery and cancel it.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of HGTV's silliest shows on the air. I watched two episodes recently and knew I wouldn't watch going forward. What is with the obviously staged back-and-forth that goes on between the realtor guy and the designer lady?

Then at the end when the homeowners are making their decision to love or list, the realtor and designer are in a hushed argument in the background (or foreground, depending on the camera shot) and it is just silly. In the end when the designer loses, she complains about having to buy the realtor a drink because she "lost". Oh please.

I'm Good As Long As It's Feng Shui!

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jun 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post