Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Flip or Flop - New Series
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flip or Flop - New Series Sign In/Join 
Picture of mriley
posted
This new show, Flip or Flop premieres tonight at 11:00 and 11:30 PM. I am setting my DVR to see this new series. I have not seen it advertised, but it was listed on my tv guide.

UPDATE; I searched this show. Tarek (real estate genius?) and his wife Christina buy houses at auction, renovate, show and finally try to sell them. And they do all this in one-half hour!

MORE UPDATE: I watched these shows. (The Reds game was on rain delay.) You sure need a lot of money in your budget to do what these people do with these houses. They hire contractors for everything.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1493 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I don't think I will stay up to watch it.

Posts: 7057 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked this show. Tarek and Christina were likable and the end product looked great. They are big budget, but they seemed to manage the projects really well and made a profit. It didn't have all the dramatic over-runs like with Love It or List It, Property Brothers and Income Property. It was nice to see a show of professional flippers with very little conflict.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I registered for this site solely for the purpose of expressing my disgust at this new show. I believed that with the collapse of the housing bubble, HGTV had moved past the glamorization of flipping houses. To return to that model, with the added dimension of flipping homes in foreclosure, is sickening. The show may as well be called "How to Profit from the Misfortune of Others." I fully support the entrepreneurial drive of the couple featured in this program, but the carpetbagging sensibilities are beyond the pale. Please, cancel this show. Cancel this show now.

Couldn't you fill the time slot with one of the previous Design Star winners?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AZ I take exception to your view.

I remember a friend saying she was considering a short sale but hated taking advantage of the "poor sellers", I view it differently, the short seller is thrilled to find a buyer for their short sale, keeping them from going through a foreclosure.

After a foreclosure (now bankowned) the neighbors are thrilled for a buyer to fix up to either live in, or resell their vacant rundown neighboring house.

There are different ways of looking at this, calling them carpetbaggers just isn't nice or true.

Posts: 2466 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think they are making money because they are well informed real estate agents and they know the market in their Southern CA area. You would not be able to flip in most US markets since the real estate markets in most areas haven't rebounded the way they have in CA.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really, HGTV? a house flipping show? Isn't that soooo 5 years ago. Geez.

As far as flipping goes...I know they buy foreclosures...but if they hire contractors for all the work -- unless they get a totally UNrealistically low prices on labor and materials, I just don't see how the margins are there to make much money after transfer taxes and carrying costs.

Sometimes I see some awfully small profit margins.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clbselah,

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I saw the show last night totally by accident. I thought it was interesting although I just like to see the finished product. I'm not too interested in the actual redo. They did their homework in the neighborhood and they had some pretty nice profits.

Posts: 7987 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love how people think this is "real" people flipping real houses. Every show they make a 50,000$ profit no matter what the setbacks. Just think any moron can , and they are morons, can become rich flipping houses. No folks that is not real life. The contractor costs are sooo low.the resale prices way too high and just that fact that this couple know nothing about houses yet always come out ahead, is insulting to me and should be insulting to anyone watching the show. I guess the show buys into peoples fantasies that any boob can become rich if they would just stop watching TV and join the get rich quick club called real estate investing.

Posts: 24 | Registered: May 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's amazing that so called "Reality" shows are totally fake. Everything about this show is staged and phony

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
HGTV does not seem to be about decorating..or designing..or gardening..or reality. They are about entertaining.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Teva
posted Hide Post
I like this new show. Watched two half-hour shows following each other. Beats PB and LILI.Some of us people do desperate things when we crave interior decorators like we know are out there. Please, please don't put meg back on. Gotta run, think I'm getting nauseous.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I'm a sucker for flip shows.

What strikes me in this case is that this couple is totally at the mercy of their contractors since they know little about construction themselves. The other thing that's interesting to me is that except for the wrought iron touch to staircases (to me, it seems like the kind of thing you saw in 1960s split levels), the kitchens are so generic. The New Cookie Cutter Look. But it sells.

A tacky aside: those false eyelashes are over the top.

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are about entertaining.

if you find hours of reruns entertaining!! Smile

I dvr everything on this channel so I can skip the commercials, most of the show and see the finished product.

posted Hide Post
Christina is so hot. This is a great show even though it seems to me like the renovation costs are way too low.

They redo entire kitchens (cabinets, granite, appliances (except fridge), etc.) for $6k-$8k?

There was one episode where they poured in over $100k in the house in Garbage Grove and made a big profit on that one too. Seems like they only show the ones where they make money and conveniently skip over the ones where they lose money.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RVD:

...They redo entire kitchens (cabinets, granite, appliances (except fridge), etc.) for $6k-$8k?

There was one episode where they poured in over $100k in the house in Garbage Grove and made a big profit on that one too. Seems like they only show the ones where they make money and conveniently skip over the ones where they lose money.

I completely agree. If you or I could get all those great renovations made for the prices they stated on TV, we would be successful flippers too (maybe you are now!). I realize that contractors often give good discounts to flippers who hire them for a large volume of work, but still...the prices seem extraordinarily low, especially for So. Cal.

I also have yet to see one of the shows where they lost money on a flip. Still the shows are fun to watch.

Posts: 876 | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of webenomads
posted Hide Post
I've only seen two episodes, but in both cases, the show ended with no buyer! One was a case of the deal falling out of escrow, and the second house was overpriced so high (in order to not lose money) that they got no offers. In that one, Tarek's mother even loaned him money out of her home equity line of credit. And the house sale bombed, leaving Tarek, his wife, and his mother stuck.

So I guess my two experiences with this show have been more FLOP than flip!

P.S. Just read an update on another website about the second home. I see it is now in escrow. Good luck guys.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webenomads,

Posts: 129 | Registered: Jan 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually bought a home from them before the show started airing in February. I could list for days the things they did poorly, said they did but didn't and the absolutely horrible experience we had buying the home. Including: they painted the bathtub and shower and not using the right kind of paint so after about 2 uses I now have to fish paint chips out of my sons bath and our shower looks awful; there are major gaps in the flooring and its not level everywhere; we have started to see mold coming through the paint in the kitchen; water is leaking from the shower (even though we were told it was fixed); there is NO insulation in the attic or walls; backyard is a disaster; and the list could go on. When I first saw the show and saw them on it I couldn't believe it. And now watching it makes me madder and madder because they do not put as much care/ time into all of their homes!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Sorry you had so much trouble. Doesn't your state have safeguards built in for buyers when seller's are dishonest? You should contact the RE commission and file a complaint.

Picture of webenomads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StacyT13:
I actually bought a home from them before the show started airing in February. I could list for days the things they did poorly, said they did but didn't and the absolutely horrible experience we had buying the home.

Did you get a home inspection prior to purchase? If so, you need to contact the inspection company who performed it. They should have caught the fact that there was no insulation in the attic or walls, any mold issues (since you said the shower had been leaking and was "fixed"), and the non-level flooring.
Did a home warranty come with this house? If so, file claims for the problems you've experienced.
The California Department of Real Estate has an online form to file a complaint:
http://www.dre.ca.gov/Consumers/FileComplaint.html

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Good advice!

Stacy, let us know how it works out.

posted Hide Post
Stacy, this is Tarek El Moussa from Flip or Flop. All my work is done by licensed contractors and I pay them to do the work. If something is wrong they are responsible. I wish you would have contacted me right away with any problems so I could work with you to resolve them. Please call me direct right away so we can discuss the problems. My number is 949.335.8071. It is imperative that you contact me so I can make it right. Thanks Tarek

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Tarek, I applaud your readiness to help Stacy. It is refreshing to see that you are reading the Message Board.

I have enjoyed watching your shows, though they are way out of my league moneywise. I live in Ohio and things are not so expensive here as they are in California. Your finished work is beautiful. Good luck to you.

posted Hide Post
I like this show. I don't know if its one of your DIY knock off shows, like Rehab-Addict which I also like. Big budget, big houses I guess thats Cali for you. Coming from the East Coast, its good to see what goes on out West. Tarek is good eye candy, but the star of this show is his wife, Christina. Shes got it all the brains (budget) and an eye for design and materials. 1/2 hour long love it, quick to the point. Would like to know are new shows planned.

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I just saw the show in which Tarek was going to fill the swimming pool with bricks and excess stuff. So glad the contractor intervened. I'm no engineer, but really, where is the common sense? Even I can see the inherent instability of burying a junk pile. Makes me wonder what other ridiculous things are being done with these homes.

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I've watched a few episodes and it (as well as Tarek and Christina) is starting to grow on me. But I have to say, the contractors are the real heroes of the show. They do amazing stuff, cheaply and quickly.

Next time I hire a contractor, I'm gonna try following them around with a TV camera!

Posts: 1433 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I love this show. It's not as funny as some of the other flip shows I've seen where they end up buying meth house or gang hang outs but I love it.The wife is a Barbie so I like her alot!

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mriley:
HGTV does not seem to be about decorating..or designing..or gardening..or reality. They are about entertaining.

They are about real estate. Period.

They sure aren't entertaining me!!

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Face it. Everyone who's complaining about HGTV programing.....You are NOT HGTV's target audience. You might have been once, but you aren't anymore.

posted Hide Post
Saw Flip or Flop...I thought it flopped Wink

I'm hooked on Renovate To Rent...another new series on Tuesday nights. Very fun & interesting to watch.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jun 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also caught Renovate To Rent last week and thought it was a much better program. The two hosts are very entertaining and genuine.

Additionally, the show was rather informative! Definitely a MUST WATCH for those of you who haven't seen it!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't a big fan of the show. HGTV could have done better.

Posts: 4 | Location: Walnutport, PA | Registered: Jun 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the real estate shows. I always look at the interior of the homes and I like most of the shows for what their worth. HH and HHI are still my favs.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this show last night and felt compelled to post here. I am a successful builder, residential real estate developer, investor and licensed construction supervisor with an MBA.

This show like almost all flip shows I have ever seen is simply not reality. It is far from the truth, and people may think they can do this and then will end up losing their shirts. It is seriously disingenuous of the network to let people think this is the way flipping houses in any market works. The young couple seem more like they are trying to become "Reality stars" and or "Change your life speakers/motivators" than successful real estate investors. Their online blog completely contradicts what we see on the show. What real estate person with ten hard years of experience would not understand a serious lead paint issue and its cost??? (Unless that was a reality TV "Set Up")...then miraculously they still make $58G on the property. If this show were accurate I would send one of my top people to the OC, make $50,000 grand every 30 days and get another bank directorship at a top OC bank.

People this show is "Entertainment" and nothing more. It is close to being theater of the absurd, but then again that it what sells reality TV. Reality Television is all about non- reality. I think I'll start a production company tomorrow.

Peace

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ben Kingston,

Reality Television Is Not Reality It Is Entertainment.....Beware!

Posts: 7 | Location: New England | Registered: Jun 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ben Kingston, I agree. The wife on the show is friends with all of the Real Housewives of Orange County women. Coincidence that they got a show? I don't think so.

Posts: 7 | Location: Danielsville, PA | Registered: Jun 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of webenomads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kingston:
Reality television is all about non-reality.

Best T-shirt slogan I've seen in a long time!

Thanks for your insight regarding these flip shows from a professional point of view.

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ben Kingston:
I saw this show last night and felt compelled to post here. I am a successful builder, residential real estate developer, investor and licensed construction supervisor with an MBA.

Ben

I saw the show as well and like many others in the genre, it['s formulaic and
and quite real. However I'm still interested in doing this. I don't expect it'll be easy or risk-free. After all what in life is? Can you tell me what path you took to become a licensed construction supervisor and developer?
I'd appreciate any insight you could post.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my home state one has to have a construction supervisor's license to pull a building permit in any town or city in the state. There are different levels of that license (residential homes up to certain sf, or commercial buildings for instance). One takes the State exam and must achieve a certain score to pass. One is also supposed to have 2 years experience on job sites but many that take the exam do not. The test is not easy, and it's becoming harder as the State is attempting to keep out fly-by- nighters. After my bachelors degree in economics I needed the license to start building new homes or I would have had to hire someone that did have a license. I built 2 houses as that is all the bank would let me at the time. I sold them and have kept it rolling for decades. There are a lot of absolute idiots in real estate, particularly on the broker end of it. This show is fantasy unless you are already relatively wealthy and can use your own cash. Even at that the show is pure entertainment and completely set up. There is nothing "Real" about anything being portrayed on this show. You need to have a much longer term view to buying properties to fix up and add to a growing portfolio. I have seen educated professional people attempt to get into house flipping (against my advice) as a source of second income and lose a great deal of money. Any long term builder could watch any one of these flip shows and immediately tell you that something isn't quite right. Something rotten here. Reality TV is not reality. If the young man in this show really wanted security for his family after a downturn in the market.......go to Stanford Law School!
Unless the network is paying mad money or a % of this show. That is not real estate money that is entertainment industry revenue. Not the same thing.

Posts: 7 | Location: New England | Registered: Jun 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
What are your feeling about "Renovate to Rent"?

I enjoy the show but I'm not looking at it as a "how to" rather as entertainment.

posted Hide Post
I have seen this show and they (Tarek and his crew) do a good job.

However I do let out a sigh because I do not see any worth in Christina. IMO, she is nothing more than a wife of a person that flips homes -regardless of the fact that she supposedly holds a real estate license. She is typical of most contractors who allow their wives to involve themselves in their business: Come at their convenience,wonder around like they know what is going on, and pick out paint colors and throw pillows -just the pretty stuff. To me, if you are not getting your hands dirty and doing stuff- you have zero invested in that business but just being the wife and the mother of his kids.

Posts: 67 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Renovate to Rent is a show I could literally tear apart in a debate with anyone in about five seconds. Number one question that is not broached...Where does the money come from to continue buying houses and do the renovations? If these guys continued to do this owning 50 property's with an average of $15K a year in profit from each property.......they would soon enough be broke. This is REALITY TV. This is entertainment. I can also tell you without any question that HGTV is on this board prodding questions and posting false positives. That is just the way this works in 2013. Anyone can read my background from my previous posts.

Honestly, I think I should go into the Reality TV business and put these fools out of business, but I'm making too much money in real-estate the right way, and that has nothing to do with anything even remotely seen on any of these disingenuous absurd shows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ben Kingston,

posted Hide Post
Hi Ben Kingston, we will flip 50 to 60 homes this year and as of today we are flipping 27 which is the most we ever have at one time. Real housewives got us show? Really lol? My sister does her hair here in Orange County Ca.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must say I am getting tired of the watching real estate reality shows where the investors buy property in auctions only to find that their flip project is in terrible jeopardy of massive cost overruns. But fortunately they find contractors to do the project for minimal cost and buyers willing to pay well over asking. By shows end they have generated another five to six figure profit! Just once it would be nice to get a project that reflects the risk that the average housing real estate investor faces.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These two are even more unlikeable than that hugo montablong whatever is name was, any body could do what they do which is nothing, they do none of the work they don't put up the money, and lets face it these prices contractors are giving them are fantasy they are just pretty faces plugged in my the execs at hgtv, get rid of them already

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like this show, do I think every second is real, no, but I see both the good and bad of flipping.

Seems to be lots of posts by sour grapes...

Posts: 2466 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I don't doubt that there is an amount of "scripted" issues in this program, but I really feel that this show is a lot better than what Property Brothers or LOve it or List it presents.
They are really really bad.

Posts: 5004 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elfie
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy watching this show. Tarek and Christina do a great job of using their expertise in floor plan layout and material choices to restyle their flips along with their real estate know how. The contractors are amazing, too! Hope to keep seeing new episodes.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Having lived in Orange County for 40 years, I am familiar with this area. Therefore when I see the houses and these cities, I sort of have an idea of the price and what type of area those homes are located.
What these people do when they renovate in order to sell a house, and what Property Brothers do and their costs and or Love it or List it, I am flabbergasted that these two shows have not been cancelled a long time ago. In my opinion they rip off every homeowner that they do anything for.

Posts: 5004 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:
In my opinion they rip off every homeowner that they do anything for.

Why do you say that? Because the work they do is shabby? Because they jack up their price and get it? (Not argumentative questions, just asking for clarity. I don't watch the other two shows.)

Picture of BonnieN
posted Hide Post
i love this program!
Typical of HGTV boards,negativity rules. If you don't like it ,don't watch it.
I think Tarek and Christina do a wonderful job turning these properties into beautiful homes. Their reveal is awesome,Christina seems to pick out the kitchens and they are gorgeous. Very stylish. I love th show,the people and will continue to watch and enjoy it.

Posts: 2682 | Location:  | Registered: May 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post