Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Flip or Flop - New Series
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flip or Flop - New Series Sign In/Join 
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Santa Fe, If you do any price comparisons with any programs on HGTV just by doing that, you will see what I am speaking about.
In Love it or List it, they spend lots of money than in my view is not even necessary. They actually add on new furniture to the renovations the amount that they are given by the homeowners and as you know most of the time they don't even do what they homeowners want. Yesterday I saw a program in which the owners provided an 80,000 to do renovations they only did the basement and what they did, If you were to compare what Income property does, when they do full basement renovations you will have an idea. The same with Property Brothers, Now that we are discussing Tarek's programs compare the difference on what they accomplish in comparison to the amount of money that they spend in those two previous programs, Also, I don't know if you are familiar with Holmes or renovations done by programs such as This Old House, and Hometime and you will see the difference. Hoping that I was able to answer your question.
This is not a negative response, and to respond to another poster, I will watch and criticize what I want to. and not what you think I should do. so, don't read my postings.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really do not like this show. HGTV is really getting off track with some of their latest offerings.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julianna76
posted Hide Post
Saw the show a couple of times. Too "high end" for the average American to flip and to buy. Let's get down to earth on these shows please.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ok - so why do they go to active construction sites and are almost always in flip flops? I would think that they would want to pay a little more attention to safety.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
The reason that you think is high end is because they do their flipping in Southern California. LA Orange Country where the prices of the homes are extremely high.
I imagine that if they would do their flipping in other States their results would be different.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get into these shows from time to time. But I ought property and things didn't go great I wrote an article on yahoo that has some tips on ways to avoid when buying real estate. Please read it if you are going to buy a house even if you've already purchased investment homes: http://voices.yahoo.com/how-go...houses-12679555.html

Btw I'd love to have my own show doing this stuff, where do I sign up? Lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sep7501,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted Apr 23, 2014 01:12 PM Hide Post
Santa Fe, If you do any price comparisons with any programs on HGTV just by doing that, you will see what I am speaking about.
In Love it or List it, they spend lots of money than in my view is not even necessary. They actually add on new furniture to the renovations the amount that they are given by the homeowners and as you know most of the time they don't even do what they homeowners want. Yesterday I saw a program in which the owners provided an 80,000 to do renovations they only did the basement and what they did, If you were to compare what Income property does, when they do full basement renovations you will have an idea. The same with Property Brothers, Now that we are discussing Tarek's programs compare the difference on what they accomplish in comparison to the amount of money that they spend in those two previous programs, Also, I don't know if you are familiar with Holmes or renovations done by programs such as This Old House, and Hometime and you will see the difference. Hoping that I was able to answer your question.
This is not a negative response, and to respond to another poster, I will watch and criticize what I want to. and not what you think I should do. so, don't read my postings.

Just saw your response, rker. Thanks. It's hard to compare this show to Love It Or List It or Holmes' shows because neither show is about flipping houses. Also, it's hard to do price comparisons with two shows shot in places I don't know much(Canada), and this show, which is filmed in California.

So what are they doing to rip off people? Again, no dog in this fight, just curious. Does this couple do bad work?

I don't like the way they jack up home prices, but then, there are people who buy their homes. I don't really like that, either. Glad I don't have to buy property in California. It's ridiculous. Is this why you think they rip people off?

Posts: 789 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the best "bang for your buck" is the Fixer Upper show in Waco, TX. They redid a "tear down" bought for $15,000 and redid the property including foundation, roof, windows, electrical and plumbing for about $110,00. That's the difference between a small town and a big urban area. The resulting home was charming and functional, but not a giant house.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too was a fan of the show despite HER whining, false eyelashes and general incompetence until I attended a seminar they are lending their name and likeness. Does HGTV know or care they are associated with one of those get rich quick schemes? I didn't know it was a scam until I sat through it. Goes to show you they are following the money, don't care a lick about real estate or helping people. Have you seen their new website? Talks about luxury homes. Far cry from the burst of the bubble and their opening remarks about trying to make ends meet.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jun 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Local Green Bay, WI musician is really the brains behind HGTVs Flip or Flop success lending their name and likeness to FIND AND FLIP house flipping how-to seminar. Please be aware of this get rich quick in real estate scam. They offer "education" to their "students" and it is very costly. We did not opt for the “advanced training” to the tune of $20,000 to $50,000. Tuition is usually billed in what? -Semesters or semester hours. This is an upfront fee payable in cash, check or the credit card they just had you raise the limit and lower the interest rate. Mind you this is after the initial free half-day come-on and the follow up 3 day event that cost $2000. The whole thing is a general partnership fueling a C Corp with charitable donations wrapped in an LLC. You’ll see!

I've done some research so if you follow the links and connect the dots you should be alright.

http://www.topix.com/forum/cit...T35465KQ7A0S91ITA/p3

http://www.qivana.com/blog/david-marti-freier/

http://www.bbb.org/utah/busine...lake-city-ut-2009446

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/...scam-buyer-be-601506

http://tarekandchristina.com/

http://findandflip.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A_Z:
I registered for this site solely for the purpose of expressing my disgust at this new show. I believed that with the collapse of the housing bubble, HGTV had moved past the glamorization of flipping houses. To return to that model, with the added dimension of flipping homes in foreclosure, is sickening. The show may as well be called "How to Profit from the Misfortune of Others." I fully support the entrepreneurial drive of the couple featured in this program, but the carpetbagging sensibilities are beyond the pale. Please, cancel this show. Cancel this show now.

Couldn't you fill the time slot with one of the previous Design Star winners?

Local Green Bay, WI musician is really the brains behind HGTVs Flip or Flop success lending their name and likeness to FIND AND FLIP house flipping how-to seminar. Please be aware of this get rich quick in real estate scam. They offer "education" to their "students" and it is very costly. We did not opt for the “advanced training” to the tune of $20,000 to $50,000. Tuition is usually billed in what? -Semesters or semester hours. This is an upfront fee payable in cash, check or the credit card they just had you raise the limit and lower the interest rate. Mind you this is after the initial free half-day come-on and the follow up 3 day event that cost $2000. The whole thing is a general partnership fueling a C Corp with charitable donations wrapped in an LLC. You’ll see!

I've done some research so if you follow the links and connect the dots you should be alright.

http://www.topix.com/forum/cit...T35465KQ7A0S91ITA/p3

http://www.qivana.com/blog/david-marti-freier/

http://www.bbb.org/utah/busine...lake-city-ut-2009446

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/...scam-buyer-be-601506

http://tarekandchristina.com/

http://findandflip.com

Picture of webenomads
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by love real estate:
I too was a fan of the show... until I attended a seminar they are lending their name and likeness. Does HGTV know or care they are associated with one of those get rich quick schemes? I didn't know it was a scam until I sat through it.

There's a similar show called Flipping Vegas on A&E. The realtor on this show is Scott Yancey. He holds similar "seminars" (which, from what I've heard firsthand, he doesn't even bother to attend) supposedly showing people how to make their fortunes in real estate... for a $2,000 minimum fee, that is. So evidently A&E doesn't know or care either.

Posts: 129 | Registered: Jan 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webenomads:
quote:
I too was a fan of the show... until I attended a seminar they are lending their name and likeness. Does HGTV know or care they are associated with one of those get rich quick schemes? I didn't know it was a scam until I sat through it.

There's a similar show called Flipping Vegas on A&E. The realtor on this show is Scott Yancey. He holds similar "seminars" (which, from what I've heard firsthand, he doesn't even bother to attend) supposedly showing people how to make their fortunes in real estate... for a $2,000 minimum fee, that is. So evidently A&E doesn't know or care either.

I think A&E does care because Armando Montelongo was arrested for failure to pay a sub but got in trouble for dubious marketing and is off the air. It's really too bad that no one is held accountable.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Let me clarify Santa Fe, I was not speaking about Flip or Flop. I was speaking about Property Brothers
Actually if you compare it with what Tarek does in his renovations they are by far more superior than what I have seen on Property Brothers. compare prices just on that. and you will see the difference. and then they actually do all the house sometimes inside and outside.
while Property Brothers do a couple of rooms. and spend all that money on the homeowners money. Not being negative, simple cannot understand as to how come viewrs cannot see what I see in those programs

Picture of radiolady
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that the contractors Tarek and Christine use are um... "unlicensed" or the other word "undocumented" if you know what I mean. I watched an episode where they were FURIOUS at the poor work done by a low cost crew they hired- all were non-English speaking guys- next scene they were re-doing all the work at great expense with a whole new crew- that were made up of redneck types and old-timers that knew what they were doing. Another thing that grinds my gears on that show- Christine has ZERO imagination. I think she is not very bright. She does exactly the same thing in every home (I know, I know- they are flipping houses for the general market, not for special buyers) but do they HAVE to do granite counter-tops, those AWFUL can lights/recessed lighting in every house? Recessed can lights are a "sin" lol. All they like to do is smash, smash, smash out walls and destroy vintage things. It is as if they hate tradition or something. Just because they make lots of money does not mean they are intelligent- I don't think the both of them have a high IQ. They seem dense and have that "Duh!" face on all the time.

John 1:8

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston | Registered: Jan 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Being from California. 99.5 construction workers are of Mexican descent. they are usually Mexican/Americans. so the undocumented name for these workers, is an assumption on your part, and it tells me that you are not familiar with California. and its cultural and diversity in races.
And yes they are not contractors, they are Real Estate people they hire contractors to do the job and those contractors have crews. not their crews but the different contractors crews.
California has probably the most expensive Real Estate in the USA, so that is reflected in the price of the homes that they buy and re-sell. As far as wanting granite and stainless steel is what we have all been shown in all the HGTV programming. so that Is not new.
And as far as smashing, they all do it. which is annoying to me also.
I see that you don't like them which is your right and privilege. Many do and many don't I guess that's life.

posted Hide Post
Does anyone care that they are now in the business of scamming people out of tens of thousands of dollars to do what they proport on television? They are now in the snake oil slinging business. People cannot afford to flip if they don't know what they are doing and the business model they are supporting is a scam. HGTV should drop them. Let's not forget that what they show on TV is fake. There is no wat they get these houses done for what they say in the amount of time with a ready buyer. If Christina wasn't such a plant with her cue cards you might almost believe Tarek. She is good to look at but once she opens her mouth in that whining nagging manner... forget it. Google image her and wow, they do a lot with hair and makeup artists. Woof! I feel sorry for the kid schlepped around, but now that they are stars and connected to the biggest bait and switch late night advertising I'm sure Christina is either home full time or they have a nanny.

Picture of Teva
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the show even tho it is not realistic. How could the couple actually do anything to their houses. He is always in flip-flops and shes in very expensive boots and dresses so tight she couldn't bend over to save her childs life.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jul 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
love re, why did you came on here to continually criticize the show and the stars of the show and some of your criticism is just petty, some not documented so not worthy of consideration.

Posts: 2483 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how many people on these message boards complain about how 'expensive' houses are while apparently either not understanding or completely ignoring the fact that different shows are filmed in different cities. What's the first rule of real estate? Location, location, location! Flip or Flop is filmed in southern CA which is one of the most pricey areas in the US to buy real estate. The point of this show is to convey to viewers the process by which homes are "flipped" by people like Tarek and Christina who are professionals in this field. As the opening of the show mentions, they started flipping due to the downturn in the real estate market. What's the problem with people making a living by providing a service from which others can benefit?

Having said that, when I first watched this show I was prepared not to like it, but I quickly came to realize that this couple know the area, the market and their prospective buyers quite well. It's a good way for viewers to learn more about both the flipping process and current trends in a specific area. It might be of particular interest to those thinking of buying real estate for investment purposes as well.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm amazed at all the negativity out there! I think the complainers are missing the point of a 22-minute tv show. This show is for entertainment, silly, not for an education. What reasonable person would expect be educated on how to flip a home in 22 minutes?

I love this show! It is exactly what I love to see -- there is suspense, risk, build up to the finish, beautiful makeovers, and almost always a happy ending!

Plus, I think Tarek is great -- why are some folks complaining about dumb mistakes? Don't we all make dumb mistakes (at least those of us who take risks in life)? Isn't that part of the entertainment of the show? And Christina is beyond gorgeous. Who wouldn't enjoy watching a show with her in it?

Those of you who need something real or educational, this isn't PBS! And what would you actually expect to learn from a 22-minute show anyway? This is a show, guys! It's fun to watch. I think you're investing way too many expectations here. If you want real life education, then tv shows aren't the optimal place to look.

For me, when I want to relax and enjoy a great story with a few suspenseful twists, a happy ending and great eye candy along the way, how could you do better than Christina and Tarek in Flip or Flop?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
You are correct, except for one thing, HGTV didn't used to be a reality TV channel. it used to provide, if not educational programs as you state, programming that would provide us with ideas on gardening, decorating, crafts, which they obviously have abandoned.
Remember programs like all the designing programs, they taught us how to decorate our homes, provided us with ideas without any drama just examples. gardening how to take care or our gardens, landscaping etc. crafts, many of them.
WE loved coming to HGTV to see what they would show us. and what we would learn from them.
Frankly if I want to see soap operas I watch CBS or ABC or any or them
I want to learn and be entertained. there is room for both.

posted Hide Post
After Fixer Upper, this is my favorite show. What value does the wife have? Are you kidding me? I swear, I left these boards before because of rude, rude, people, and it looks like I won't stay long again. She is the one picking out the tiles, flooring, cabinets. You don't have to get one finger dirty to be a good flipper, and it is good that people buy these horrible houses and fix them up to be liveable again.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Norco, CA | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, and the catty, jealous remarks about the cute, cute wife can go, too.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Norco, CA | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nita H, I remember you don't leave, I like Flip or Flop and Fixer Upper also. Ignore the negative.

Posts: 2483 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch Flip or Flop with my wife, the show provides lots of laughs! We bet every show how much they will go over budget. Logic would tell you after going over budget EVERY SHOW, they would come up with a better system. Also, it is interesting that they continue to use their credit card even after making a good profit from the previous show. Intelligent business people retain enough of the profits to finance the next deal. The need to control their personal spending. The show offers us loads of laughs!

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gentlemanjack:
Also, it is interesting that they continue to use their credit card even after making a good profit from the previous show. Intelligent business people retain enough of the profits to finance the next deal. The need to control their personal spending. The show offers us loads of laughs!

I always use my credit card, it has nothing to do with my ability to pay cash, I get to use the float and get airline miles. I travel frequently and rarely pay for flights. Yes, I know I pay an annual fee, it is always less than my benefit.

Picture of Teva
posted Hide Post
I have read all of your posts on Flip-Flop. You know I really don't care if the show is real or not. I watch for the entertainment and ideas for my own home. Why should Christina dig into those messes. Would your wife or girlfriend do it. I certainly wouldn't. She does help decorate the baths and kitchens. Maybe they aren't actually her own ideas, I don't care. I want to see the finished product. If they did not hire a styist to furnish the home at the end, I wouldn't probably see the end of any of their shows. We all watch for our own reasons.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jul 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Meischa:
love re, why did you came on here to continually criticize the show and the stars of the show and some of your criticism is just petty, some not documented so not worthy of consideration.

Well, Meischa, you must not be too bright. Sorry. Not continually criticizing, just want people to be aware of the get rich quick scheme they are associated with. Also, given that the show is such a joke and they are so over budget in a tight financial market leaving every show with no buyer that something must be up, and I don't mean profits. take a closer look and read between the lines silly.

posted Hide Post
I have to admit that they do a good job at rehabing these properties. What I have a problem with is his whining that they are going to lose money on the deal when in each and every case he comes out way, way ahead.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kingston:
I saw this show last night and felt compelled to post here. I am a successful builder, residential real estate developer, investor and licensed construction supervisor with an MBA.

This show like almost all flip shows I have ever seen is simply not reality. It is far from the truth, and people may think they can do this and then will end up losing their shirts. It is seriously disingenuous of the network to let people think this is the way flipping houses in any market works. The young couple seem more like they are trying to become "Reality stars" and or "Change your life speakers/motivators" than successful real estate investors. Their online blog completely contradicts what we see on the show. What real estate person with ten hard years of experience would not understand a serious lead paint issue and its cost??? (Unless that was a reality TV "Set Up")...then miraculously they still make $58G on the property. If this show were accurate I would send one of my top people to the OC, make $50,000 grand every 30 days and get another bank directorship at a top OC bank.

People this show is "Entertainment" and nothing more. It is close to being theater of the absurd, but then again that it what sells reality TV. Reality Television is all about non- reality. I think I'll start a production company tomorrow.

Peace

I have to agree -- how can these people make $50,000 + every month and tell me how they were doing so badly. I also find it hard to believe that if someone went to the bank for financing and the bank says the house is not worth that much -- why would someone take out an extra note to buy the house then they say wow they made $90,000 on the property - gee I would really like this show if they were to flip houses and make oh $10,000 a month or even $20,000 but the lead in of the show tells us what a hard time they have - really, really - no this is not a reality show because in these days of hard economic times people are not going to go upside down in a house so that this couple can make
$90,000 - bring your prices down to reality and maybe more people would enjoy this show

Posts: 3 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Kingston:
I saw this show last night and felt compelled to post here. I am a successful builder, residential real estate developer, investor and licensed construction supervisor with an MBA.

This show like almost all flip shows I have ever seen is simply not reality. It is far from the truth, and people may think they can do this and then will end up losing their shirts. It is seriously disingenuous of the network to let people think this is the way flipping houses in any market works. The young couple seem more like they are trying to become "Reality stars" and or "Change your life speakers/motivators" than successful real estate investors. Their online blog completely contradicts what we see on the show. What real estate person with ten hard years of experience would not understand a serious lead paint issue and its cost??? (Unless that was a reality TV "Set Up")...then miraculously they still make $58G on the property. If this show were accurate I would send one of my top people to the OC, make $50,000 grand every 30 days and get another bank directorship at a top OC bank.

People this show is "Entertainment" and nothing more. It is close to being theater of the absurd, but then again that it what sells reality TV. Reality Television is all about non- reality. I think I'll start a production company tomorrow.

Peace

WAIT ! You actually saw something on TV that was unrealistic ? Wow ! Thank God we have you to save us from ourselves. With your knowledge and obvious ability to rule over us normal people, you should run for president ! I think you should get more space just to list all the stuff you've done , or think you've done.....anyway, you are like Superman or something. I'm in awe ! I think you SHOULD start a Production Company...I mean , you can do ANYTHING,and so much better than anyone else , right ?
Tell your nonsense to someone who knows you. Because the internet is just like TV , People can say anything....but that doesn't mean we have to believe it. Besides , it's a TV show. It's also a **** of a lot more entertaining than reading your post. You do seem to admire yourself quite a bit. You may want to keep that in check . In closing : A wise man once said , if you don't have anything nice to say, keep your big mouth shut!

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone care that they are now in the business of scamming people out of tens of thousands of dollars to do what they proport on television? They are now in the snake oil slinging business. People cannot afford to flip if they don't know what they are doing and the business model they are supporting is a scam. HGTV should drop them. Let's not forget that what they show on TV is fake. There is no wat they get these houses done for what they say in the amount of time with a ready buyer. If Christina wasn't such a plant with her cue cards you might almost believe Tarek. She is good to look at but once she opens her mouth in that whining nagging manner... forget it. Google image her and wow, they do a lot with hair and makeup artists. Woof! I feel sorry for the kid schlepped around, but now that they are stars and connected to the biggest bait and switch late night advertising I'm sure Christina is either home full time or they have a nanny.

Jealous much ? Boo hoo , you dont like them. I bet they are both trembling , standing on the edge of a cliff because you said those nasty things. Dont like , dont watch it. Thats why there's more than one channel on your remote. talk about nagging.Most of you people come on here to say how much you dislike this show....is anyone forcing you to watch. Do either of them try to sell you the houses they fix ? How sad you all feel the need to tear down someone you dont even know. Think about it.

jwill58

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They were judges on the recent horrible Brother vs Brother contest, and admitted that they currently have 42 houses that they are flipping and renovating. So all the drama about making enough profit from one house to renovate another is FAKE.

Save the Earth, it is the only planet with CHOCOLATE!

Posts: 136 | Location: Texarkana | Registered: Jun 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We enjoy the show. All the complainers sound so jealous. My husband is a handyman, so I am one of those useless wives that works with her husband sometimes. While stripping wallpaper or just cleaning up the job site, we have never had a client complain about my eyelashes or how my clothes fit. If seeing this successful,good looking couple getting along and working together upsets you, you might want to examine your own life.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I'm jealous of is his cute wife Smile

I should have known better, but I recently watched a marathon and in each and every episode he said at least once, "with all of these extra costs I don't know if we're going to break even", only to find out in the end that he made at least $90k on the deal. I always give credit where credit is due, but his constant (predictable?) rants are getting really old.

Lastly, he's obviously an expert in doing these rehabs, which begs the question: why is he always so "surprised" when there are cost overruns? Shouldn't he intuitively know these things just from years of experience? In each episode he comes off as a novice.

posted Hide Post
I like the show and don't have problems with Tarek or his wife. They get along well and don't fight and even bring along their little girl from time to time. Christine isn't just pretty, but she has good design sense. I've seen complaints that her ideas are cookie-cutter, but she's playing to the market in order to make a sale. If someone wants something unique he or she can do that themselves. When all is said and done, they make the houses look far better than when they started.

It's also clear that they have investors. There was a guy I think named Paul who loaned them money that he expected back with interest. Sometimes their parents help. We've seen Tarek's mom in several episodes making loans. As for profits, I haven't seen too many of the 90K profits, but I've seen several of 65-75K. Sometimes that includes loan money that they have to pay back. Some of the show is probably scripted since it is entertainment, but they really are experienced agents. As for the rants, it is a stressful business and I can understand getting mad over money. There were episodes where the houses remained on the market longer than expected and they had to lower their asking price, so it's not all 90K profits.

I read that the El Moussas received about 10K for each episode and they invest that into their business. That's what they ought to do. Their Yorba Linda house isn't cheap either and I'm sure it's got a large mortgage, but we don't know when they purchased.

What I would like to see is more biographical info. What is their educational background? When did they get licensed? What's their resume? It would also be interesting to find out how Tarek and Christina met. What are the most expensive houses that they sold? What's the longest that they've had houses on the market for?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't disagree with you, I just wish each episode didn't contain his proverbial "I don't know if we'll make any money from this deal" which shows up somewhere in each episode.

Although I haven't seen every episode in the series, I haven't see any where he actually lost money.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I just wish that HGTV would get out of the Real Estate business and all the renovation shows, why are we all subjected just to see this type of programming is beyond me.
There are other areas of this business that we could see and get entertained just as much.
Real Estate and Renovation on all their programs is much too much.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc Jordan:
Although I haven't seen every episode in the series, I haven't see any where he actually lost money.

Marc, I think there were at least a couple episodes where the house was still unsold by the end, with Tarek saying they'd probably have to lower the asking price.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw an episode two nights ago and the property when he arrived was totally trashed. The pictures that he saw of it before bidding showed the house in very good condition.

Long story short, he made his signature statement "I don't know if we are going to make any money on this one" yet by the end of the episode he pocketed a cool $117k.

posted Hide Post
I am torn on this show at first I didn't watch it because it seemed like a guy w/ a trophy wife who would only walk around with expensive handbags and act like she was part of the process. I watched a marathon and was swayed, but of course the true nature has played it's ugly head and I think my first impression is right! So lately it seems that been she has been adding upgrades that are pricing the homes out of the market! I will give it one more chance, UGH!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post