Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Love it or List it too - Where does the budget go?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love it or List it too - Where does the budget go? Sign In/Join 
Picture of steph1111
posted
Just caught this show for the second time. Not only are the designers designs awful, but where does her budget go? A couple gave her $75,000 and all they got for their money was a garage, a closet, a cheaply done living room and child's bedroom. In the midwest you can get a new garage for $7500.00,including a new pad. Had that been me, I would have been calling 911 to have her arrested for fraud.

Say what you will about HIllary but you see were the money is spent and she does give the home owners high end furniture.

Posts: 128 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Sep 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HGTV: Love it or list it, too:
2013 Episode 22 with Jillian Harris
Synopsis: Jillian was given 100k to rework the kitchen and a bathroom, add a bedroom and a mudroom. When Jillian was told what the budget was she said: "That's a lot of money."
Regardless of the amount, all she did was rework the existing half bath, install a small shelving unit for pantry and build 2 small minor additions: bedroom and mudroom. By minor, I mean no plumbing, or fixtures. Room additions are cheap compared to kitchen and bathrooms. She didn't touch the kitchen. She didn’t even PAINT the sad cabinet doors!
If you can buy a brand new 1500 square foot home in palmdale or lancaster for 98k (land there is basically free) Example: 38131 Shiraz Ct Palmdale, CA 93550, 3 bedroom with full kitchen and 2 full bathrooms why was Jillian unable to add little more than a 15x15 bedroom and a 8 x 8 mud room (less than 300sq')? To break it down further.... Our framer brian broomall on the high end (fancy windows and doors, expensive shingles and siding) charges $60 per sq' to frame a house (includes lumber, siding, drywall, windows, doors and roof. Electrical, plumbing, foundation and permits are extra. Factor in 2k for the pour, 500 max for electrical supplies, 500 max for permits, 250 per day for the 4-6 guys labor and your there (30k). Okay so she had to dig a new trench for a PVC drain pipe (Labor and pipe in the extreme would cost 5k) and she had to restore an illegal modification back into a garage plus buy some bedroom furniture.
My mom and I both work in construction. With LOTS of padding we still arrived at UNDER 60k . We couldn't see where the extra money went or why they couldn't afford to give that really nice (we LOVED them) mix couple (Japanese and white) with 2 small children, the kitchen and full bath they so needed and deserved. Some HGTV shows break the costs down. This one doesn't. I suspect corruption in this program. I'd love to know where that nice couple’s money went.
Michelle: los angeles, CA

Posts: 1 | Location: California | Registered: Oct 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
LOL. LOL. No is not corruption, is incompetency. LOL.
But also the fact that we really have no idea as to the thruth of this program. and if in reality anything that they say happens.
Look at is this way, le'ts say that they decide to list it. How do we know, that the reno would bring them the amount that they say it will, and more important that that, do we really know if they list their house and which one they buy? Too many questions,
This program is a comedy, please take it as such.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post