Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Let's Go Back in Time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's Go Back in Time Sign In/Join 
Picture of santa_fe
posted
Okay, fellow geezers. It's the 1970s and 1980s and we're buying our first home and we're on House Hunters. What comments are our parents and their generation making about our demands? Here's one of my guesses:

"What's with the popcorn ceilings? Everyone wants popcorn ceilings. If I want popcorn, I go to the movies!"

Posts: 790 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robeau
posted Hide Post
I bought my first house in 1984 in San Jose CA. A typical ranch style, I had no thoughts about counter tops, cabinets, fixtures etc. I just thought that this is the coolest thing ever to have my own place. I think it had popcorn ceilings but that was normal. My parents never cared about design or trends but they did like my house's wide hallways

here we are now, entertain us

Posts: 665 | Location: sierra foothills CA | Registered: Jan 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I know what we concentrated on. roof, paint, electricity, gutters, flow of rooms. size of home. flooring, appliances? you had to buy them, countertops? really.!!!!
we were concerned with the bones of the house. not with the decorations. Like Holmes say Lipstic and mascara. |

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
We didn't buy our first home until 1992. It was a three-story brick townhouse, and the first thing we did was have all the old red oak floors refinished before we moved in.

That was enough. We were working very long hours and came home exhausted. A few years later, I was recuperating from surgery and discovered daytime TV and Christopher Lowell. And, that was the beginning of the end for us, after I discovered the pleasures and perils of decorating a money pit.

Posts: 5346 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first house, in 1977, was small but built to my specs. Nothing in it was trendy. Anything in it would be fine today - except my ex-wife lives there.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post