Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  No longer inspired by HGTV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No longer inspired by HGTV Sign In/Join 
posted
I've noticed that I've lost some of my enthusiasm to want to update rooms in my house. At first wondered if it was because I'm getting older and lazier Smile, but I also considered the possibility that I'm no longer inspired by ideas I see on HGTV. Since there aren't any shows like Decorating Cents, Room by Room, Freestyle, etc. airing anymore -- shows that gave us some creative ideas to update a room without spending a lot of cash -- maybe that's why I've lost my excitement for decorating. I need HGTV to help me feel inspired again!!!! Wish they would bring back shows that feature small, inexpensive projects. *sigh*

Posts: 718 | Registered: Apr 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I feel the same way about HGTV. Things seem so unreachable these days, not just with HGTV, but just about everything seems to be priced beyond my reach.

I really miss Decorating Cents with Joan Steffend.

Posts: 225 | Registered: Aug 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I totally agree with you, too, 1Wiley1. HGTV has lost so much, it's just a shell of the enriching programs for any budget they used to offer. I really liked Mission Organization, Small Space Big Style, Designed to Sell, and Get it Sold for reasonably priced ideas. It's just such a shame.

Posts: 6082 | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too think HGTV has lost its variety. How many times can you watch Love It or List It or any number of the Canadian shows that they keep playing. I long for the days when they had a variety of shows. They really need to fire their current programers and get back to what they use to offer. Jay

Posts: 613 | Location: connecticut | Registered: Jun 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JayCT:
I too think HGTV has lost its variety. How many times can you watch Love It or List It or any number of the Canadian shows that they keep playing. I long for the days when they had a variety of shows. They really need to fire their current programers and get back to what they use to offer. Jay

I agree. Why are they bothering to have a design star show when there are no design shows on anymore? Where are Color Splash, Antonio Treatment, Candace, Novogratz, Meg's Rooms, and all of the other wonderful shows. Enough of all the ones now on (except Extreme Homes and You Live In What?). At least the horrible guy in overalls is gone, but really Prop. Brothers, Love it or list it, renovation raiders, and even house hunters have really gotten booooorrrrring! Can recite the dialogue from heart -- We have a lot to think about, which one shall we eliminate? etc. shar's comments.

Posts: 1 | Location: ArizonaNo  | Registered: Jun 14, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of StylishBeachHome
posted Hide Post
I thought it was just me. I love the shows where you can do it on the cheap. Also, too many house hunting shows. Frown Maybe HGTV will listen if we keep chirping!

Natalee
StylishBeachHome.com

Posts: 4 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jul 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Large corporate sponsors like Sherwin Williams and Home Depot would seem to be more apt to run their ads during real esate and renovation programming to get the appropriate viewers. So maybe they are driving the program direction.Just a thought.

Posts: 1782 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just googled HGTV's ratings numbers. Apparently, I am in the minority with my disappointment. As of July 3, 2013, the network is up in viewers, especially in its target demographic. They credit the upswing in housing sales. Here is the article from the NY Post:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/b...gPfJTz8WTqIq73Z49rbK

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. I don't see how that article could possibly be true when I see so many negative comments on here regarding the "new" lineup. I'm extremely disappointed in HGTV and was bored with their marathons a while back. I was actually thrilled to see Design on a Dime (not Candace, which I do like better) early this morning, and despite being up all night working I decided to watch it because it's such a rarity anymore to see. Then again, maybe it IS believable. I've seen a shift in interests and priorities over the last several years. Today's society wants bigger, better, louder, faster, and quite frankly...dumber. I had the same shocked reaction to Investigation Discovery pulling their forensics shows in favor of overly dramatized and innuendo filled fluff. But apparently, America wants dumb and mindless with a side of bling. So sad for the rest of us.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KFaux01:
Wow. I don't see how that article could possibly be true when I see so many negative comments on here regarding the "new" lineup. I'm extremely disappointed in HGTV and was bored with their marathons a while back. I was actually thrilled to see Design on a Dime (not Candace, which I do like better) early this morning, and despite being up all night working I decided to watch it because it's such a rarity anymore to see. Then again, maybe it IS believable. I've seen a shift in interests and priorities over the last several years. Today's society wants bigger, better, louder, faster, and quite frankly...dumber. I had the same shocked reaction to Investigation Discovery pulling their forensics shows in favor of overly dramatized and innuendo filled fluff. But apparently, America wants dumb and mindless with a side of bling. So sad for the rest of us.

You are absolutely right. First we had the dumbing down on the design shows that exchanged good, well thought out design for stupid design catering to the lowest common denominator - and then they just took them off altogether. As for the other networks showing the latest trash, it is apparently what the demographics want, which gives me cold chills. I grew up on Masterpiece Theater and things like that - now there is Honey BooBoo and the Kartrashians.

Those of us on here who have been complaining bitterly for the last few years are apparently in the minority and HGTV does not care one bit what we want - as long as they have their demographic group who are sitting in front of the t.v. mindlessly gobbling down the real estate shows, nothing will change.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But how much longer can it go on before the viewers start dropping off, like we have done with most programming. I only watch HGTV occasionally now, unlike years ago when I would watch each and every show on their prime time lineup. They do have a few new shows that are a little promising, such as Flea Market Finds but they need to carry it a step further and decorate with their repo articles.
I'm wondering if anyone knows if Decorating Cents will be returning? And what about Design On A Dime, even Casey is acceptable on this?
And I also hate what is popular on television now, but we still have Downton Abbey, etc. Hey, let's all have tea.

Posts: 210 | Registered: Jun 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by madamary:
But how much longer can it go on before the viewers start dropping off, like we have done with most programming.

Viewers drop off all the time, that's probably why the shows have changed; they're catering to those who like this kind of programing. The people who complain on this board and constantly call for certain shows to be canceled (because they are unable to change channels or turn off the TV altogether) don't seem to understand that they're in the MINORITY.

As far as losing inspiration....I've lost it because I feel that HGTV is driving trends for those of us who never cared about countertops and tiles before tuning into this channel. We used to be happy with what we had. In just a few years, cabinets and hardwoods have gotten very dark and the materials for back splashes have changed. There are fewer walls. Well, you know all this stuff. I'm just refusing to get on this merry-go-round, and to be honest, the SS, granite, hardwoods, glass tile back splashes, open spaces, etc. are boring to me. They are the foundations for the new cookie cutter home. I'm more interested now in the unique and quirky, styles that reflect personalities, not the latest trends.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: santa_fe,

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it seems like the old guard are just whistling in the dark, complaining about things that won't change until HGTV actually starts losing a significant audience, but that doesn't mean we aren't right in wanting a return to more design based programs.
I agree with you about the cookie cutter stuff, but I've also quit watching most of the programming. I will watch things like Flea Market Flip, or Design on a Dime, or even High/Low. I just can't get excited about watching HH-here's the living room, here's the kitchen, here's the bedroom, and on and on.

Posts: 210 | Registered: Jun 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post