Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  "Fixer Upper"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Fixer Upper" Sign In/Join 
posted
I saw this for the first time tonight. The buying couple took on a HUGE challenge of restoring an elegant old home in terrible condition. I thought it was interesting and the host couple, who apparently are both agents and construction/design pros, were charming.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ACWhite,

Posts: 879 | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw one episode, the buyers were a college sports coach and the wife a professional athlete. All around very interesting, with charming hosts, very likable clients and good design work. There may be hope for HGTV afterall.

Posts: 1796 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I am glad to hear the comments about this show. I forgot to watch it last week, but I have it set to tape tonight. I am looking forward go seeing it. Marylee

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen the program, therefore I cannot judge. But instead of renovations I would rather see for a change some designing, decorator shows.
Renos are beginning to simply bore me.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I would like to see some design/decorating shows also. I did enjoy the new show last night. The host couple are down-to-earth people who work well together. They certainly have a busy life with four young children, a farm and a business. I liked it when the children were involved with planting a garden. Marylee

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I believe that I have found the reason as to why we don't see designing shows on HGTV and only Real Estate and Renovation shows.
They are putting all their emphasis on their magazine.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Excited about this new show. The first two episodes have been great and do incorporate some design. If I have to watch House Hunters one more time... I might scream!

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't so much mind House Hunters, but I don't care for the other countries they go to. And I was sooo glad to see shows for the brothers.

Posts: 11 | Location: Wanted to comment on shows | Registered: Aug 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I've just stumbled on this show and am glad I did. Where do I know this couple from? They both look very familiar. I don't recall them as a couple, but as individuals. Anyway, what I like is not so much that they're in my home state, but that they're showing really affordable homes (eyesores, which is great) in established neighborhoods. They're a very normal couple with lots of kids who climb and get among the mess.

Thank you, HGTV.

Posts: 789 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so glad I caught the marathon of the "Fixer Upper" shows yesterday. All people involved, clients and contractor/designer, were wonderful. How refreshing! The design choices for each home were great. For those of you looking for designing shows, this one showed more of the process involved.

Thanks HGTV for a great change of pace. It didn't feel like your other "cookie-cutter" shows.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying this show. The husband-wife team are great at what they do. They make an effort to work within the scope of the client's budget. The designer wife truly tries to understand the client's needs and creatively addresses the needs by repurposing furniture and making spaces more functional. This show reminds me of the old HGTV.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Old, local (to the US) homes that are of average square footage and aren't transformed into palaces (from what I've seen so far). What a concept!

I loved the scene with the youngest daughter, doll in one arm, mouse skeleton in the other. The mother calmly tells her husband "She's got the mouse," to which Daddy, amused, responds, bending over, "Are you gonna give it kisses?" I'll bet these kids climb stairs and play without their mother always having them in her line of sight!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: santa_fe,

Posts: 789 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loved, loved, loved this show! I stumbled upon it and watched the marathon yesterday and this one has the potential to be my new favorite. I have watched the Property Brothers and Love It or List It episodes so often I can almost quote the conversations from memory, so I really enjoyed the new show and design perspective. Also, having a show that is filmed in the southern USA makes it even more interesting to me. I actually just signed up to post about this show and thank HGTV for the new offering.

Posts: 1 | Location: Maryville TN | Registered: May 10, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When there is a bump in the process, the Gaines call the client and get their opinion/desire. Its not all about needed more money or canceling part of the reno.
I'm liking this show.

Posts: 227 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I have this feeling that Joanna has made it her mission not to say the words "granite" and "stainless steel". Yes, she uses these products, but her focus on materials is on those that she's re-purposing.

The last show was of a pretty spectacular home; I hope this is an anomaly. I like those under $100K homes.

Beth in TN, I like that this show is about anytown USA (with old homes). Waco's kind of a large town kind of out there on its own.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beth in TN:
I loved, loved, loved this show! I stumbled upon it and watched the marathon yesterday and this one has the potential to be my new favorite. I have watched the Property Brothers and Love It or List It episodes so often I can almost quote the conversations from memory, so I really enjoyed the new show and design perspective. Also, having a show that is filmed in the southern USA makes it even more interesting to me. I actually just signed up to post about this show and thank HGTV for the new offering.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE this new show Fixer Upper- HGTV you have found a gem with this couple!! Jo JO is a brillant fresh designer- I drool at the design & accents she's does- Chip is a down to earth construction Dad! Love this- PLease Please sign them up for more shows!!! You really need to get some new shows on HGTV- I miss the days of trading spaces, sell this home, curb appeal, - how about a new version of design on a Dime! -( with a higher budget of maybe $2000!!) thx

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: May 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOVE this show so far! Sick of Property Bros. and Love it/List it. This is a fun program to watch. I love the outcomes and the process and the hosts. KEEP IT!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this show too! It's very rare that I actually WATCH these 60 minute shows. Normally, I DVR them and skip to the end because I can't stand to watch 60 minutes of the gimmicky stuff they stage (like property brothers) but I really like Fixer Upper and actually watch the entire thing. My husband, who never watches any of these HGTV programs, he actually watches this one with me. Granted, we live in the northeast and we don't get that great shiplap often but we have a lot of old homes in need of restoration and I love seeing what they do. Not only that, but I love the option they always give for that little extra left in the budget. I also hope this show continues.

Posts: 87 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsunny99
posted Hide Post
This is turning into one of my most favorite shows - I might be as far from Texas as you can get, but I love to see the old houses in the state and how they are transformed by this couple (great couple too). I hope HGTV keeps this show for a long time as I would like to see their personal home on the farm finished and a tour of it!

Posts: 3077 | Location: Anchorage, AK USA | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsunny99:
This is turning into one of my most favorite shows - I might be as far from Texas as you can get, but I love to see the old houses in the state and how they are transformed by this couple (great couple too).

I think it's the rustic angle that might be attracting us all. The small glimpses we got of the Gaines' home show a whole lot of farmhouse look mixed in with SS appliances which seem to blend in with the rustic look more than stand out as high-end touches.

The other thing that's so heartening is to see people who seem like fairly successful types (very subjective, I know) who have $150,000 or less to spend on a home. A nice change from the usual HGTV upscale fare.

posted Hide Post
I'm going to chime in a second time to comment on style vs. content. I am not a fan of exposing the ship lap in a more formal styled home, I don't like old signs or antique corbels with the paint flaking off. I do however enjoy this show, the hosts and the gracious clients. The overall content of this show has me hooked regardless of whether the style appeals to me or not.

Posts: 1796 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julianna76
posted Hide Post
This show I can handle. Hubby and I like the "realism" of the show. Take the worst house and make it new again and not spend a small fortune. Bring back neighborhoods...the name of the game.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you-finally a good, no, Great show! Love the couple, their style, their family, all of it. Would like maybe more of a DIY how-to mixed in and bit less time with the choosing process (though I do like the choosing process - helps to see potential in less than ideal properties). It's a lovely show,,,,,more please! :-). Everyone should run to their DVRs and make sure they don't miss anything---it's that good.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finally, a realistic show with no drama. Why is is buried at 11:00 pm???? Put it in prime time - I think HH or PB could give up an hour.

Posts: 191 | Registered: Jan 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great show! The team is talented and skilled. They work within a budget, and do beautiful restoration and renovation. I think they deserve some promotion to build and audience for this appealing show.

Posts: 122 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryker - I agree with you. The emphasis is now on the magazine which I find very odd. There would be no magazine without the popularity of the design shows they don't show anymore.
I also want to comment on the show "Fixer Upper". I love this show. The couple is down to earth and genuinely care about their clients needs and budget. If there's an issue they solve it, not complain about how difficult their lives are. However, if you can't stay awake until 11 you will miss a new episode. They show the new episodes of other shows at 6:30 a.m. or 11 p.m. It's crazy.
I keep saying I am done and never watching HGTV again, but I keep checking back hoping someone in charge of programming gets their heads out of wherever their heads are and wakes up and fixes the mess they've created with these horrible shows.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: May 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a great show. The people involved are watchable, and the design is fun. I'm not into rustic, but it seems like they put a sophisticated twist to all the renovations. Also, each re-design is unique and not cookie-cutter.

Thanks HGTV, JoJo and Chip!

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Restoration can be a huge headache. Also, remember to make sure al your financing is in order and done properly and legally...here's an interesting way I got burned by a mortgage company owner when he did illegal icings with the financing. http://voices.yahoo.com/how-go...houses-12679555.html

Please read so you can prepare yourself correctly for any investments you make.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love, love, love this show. The Gaines are so very likable and down to earth, very comfortable in front of the camera. Love the progression of the show, the final product is always a wow! Love how there is no produced/added drama like some other reno shows. Watched the marathon, need some more!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
They do seem to avoid the, "If (name possible problem), "this can costs thousands of dollars" segment enders before commercial break. That's so overdone. It's nice to see how the homeowners, like the Gaineses, takes hiccups in stride and decide to do what must be done without the whining.

posted Hide Post
I love this show!!!! I am not sure how to make sure they to keep it and move it to a better time slot, but I sure hope they do.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Jun 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with this show is the time slot! Get rid of ome of the Property Brothers or Love it or List It shows and put this show in its place. I love everything about the show. This and Nicole's Rehab Addict are the best shows on TV.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beth in TN:

I so agree with you, I LOVE this show. The people are refreshingly real and their design utilizing found and re-imagined, recycled item/wood from the home is wonderful. The family focus and humor are a wonderful change from the other shows. I too, signed up just to comment on this show. Please do new episodes soon, this is one of the best you have done.

Posts: 1 | Location: New england | Registered: Jul 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also joined because of this show. Really enjoyed Fixer Upper. Does anyone know if the have a list of vendors/products used on the website? I have been unable to find anything other than a description of the show.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:
I believe that I have found the reason as to why we don't see designing shows on HGTV and only Real Estate and Renovation shows.
They are putting all their emphasis on their magazine.

I agree about thr magazine - has made a difference to the tv show

Posts: 5 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrsFowler:
The biggest problem with this show is the time slot! Get rid of ome of the Property Brothers or Love it or List It shows and put this show in its place. I love everything about the show. This and Nicole's Rehab Addict are the best shows on TV.

Totally agree and I am trying to make my voice heard by HGTV - I have been a loyal fan but it seems that Love It or List It,Property Brothers and to a lesser degree Income Property have taken over the entire scheduling for HGTV day in and day out. Please we are so tired of property shows, give us some renovation and decorating homes with a woman's touch. Namely Joanna Gaines and Nicole Curtis should be your superstars right now! They always have a wonderfully interesting and entertaining show each time. Fixer Upper is the best HGTV has found in a long long time - they better hang on to that team. Rehab Addict is my next favorite - love how she works on old homes and gives the character - Nicole is the bomb!!! Please keep her on each season. I wouldn't mind seeing some of my old favorites especially Sarah Richardson as she is the Queen of all decorators. Decorating Cents with Joan Steffen was another crazy favorite of mine and loved Kristen on Decorating on a Dime. I also joined this site just to give my support to Fixer Upper and Rehab Addict.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sudies House,

Posts: 5 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peoplearenuts:
Finally, a realistic show with no drama. Why is is buried at 11:00 pm???? Put it in prime time - I think HH or PB could give up an hour.

Bravo, I agree. Please get Fixer Upper on a better schedule! I have so many friends and bloggers I follow who would love to see this show - they all ship this husband and wife team and Joanna's incredible talent for decorating....she is current and does such a beautiful job with using vintage. Vintage and shabby chic is the most popular style now.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:
Old, local (to the US) homes that are of average square footage and aren't transformed into palaces (from what I've seen so far). What a concept!

I loved the scene with the youngest daughter, doll in one arm, mouse skeleton in the other. The mother calmly tells her husband "She's got the mouse," to which Daddy, amused, responds, bending over, "Are you gonna give it kisses?" I'll bet these kids climb stairs and play without their mother always having them in her line of sight!
It's just that sort of thing that I think makes the show funny and very special and real, not to mention the Gaines' talent when it comes to remodeling a fixer. I LOVE the show. Maybe I take a bit of a "southern" view of it because we live in OK, but Chip and Jo-Jo are really great. The way they act with the animals on their Magnolia Farm is very special. They are so gentle, and have clearly treated the animals right and accustomed the children to treat them the same way. The animals reflect that treatment. Terrific!

Posts: 6 | Location: Shawnee, OK | Registered: Nov 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Fixer Upper" is terrific: it's one show my wife and I watch together and can both enjoy. It triggers all kinds of design ideas, and the Gaines are a delightful couple to watch.

But a big question ...

Where do they put the TV sets?

In every episode we've seen (and I believe we've seen all of them) there are no TVs anywhere in sight. Even more puzzling, in a number of the finished "den"/family rooms, there is not even an obvious place where a TV can be added, much less surround speakers.

What's the story about that? Why no TVs? Even some tuned to HGTV? Smile

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post