Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Why I Hate house hunting shows
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I Hate house hunting shows Sign In/Join 
posted
I love to cook and would much rather have a small kitchen. I do all my prep work on a counter space about 3 feet long. Any thing bigger then that is superfluous. Americans want big kitchens for no other reason then the obnoxious belief that bigger is better. Find a cook and you will find a person who wants everything within easy reach. Having said that , that is the reason I really find all the house hunting shows so annoying.

Posts: 24 | Registered: May 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Don't blame the show, blame the house hunters....

Posts: 775 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of those people are kids. I struggle with these shows because of these ignorant couples -namely the girlfriend/wife and her pettiness. It pains me to see them strut into a home as start speaking like they are the utmost authority on homes. They sound ridiculous. Another issue I have is how some do not financially contribute to the house but yet has the most input on what house to buy. Really? Or have a kid/kids and demand on a bigger home for more kids -and you see the disdain in the husband's face because he wasn't planning on it. LOL!

Posts: 67 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Numerous articles have been written and numerous posts have been dedicated to this subject. I myself have been reprimanded for my use of the term "scripted". As it turns out, the participants are given "recomendations" as to what topics they "might" discuss during their bogus journey through the homes they have no intention of buying.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like you said, Charles...scriptedSmile

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know what the "hunters" receive in compensation for their appearance on these shows?

Posts: 1420 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Oct 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two friends of my daughter appeared on one episode. They discussed the "script"ing and the fact that they had already bought the house (so the search itself is fake), but they said nothing about compensation, so I assume there is none. But that makes me wonder why appear at all???????

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so sure the word "spacious" is a requirement to be on the show..... it seems every looker uses the word. What makes me crazy is young kids, still in college, who have to have granite and stainless, and 4 bedrooms/3 baths.... 3500 square feet... gads.... these aren't starter homes, they are starter castles Razz

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just change the channel when House Hunters comes on

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that they get something for their troubles, but I am sure that they sign contracts on what they can divulge and what they can't say to anyone.
I am completely convinced that these program have brainwashed the new generation into what their needs are versus their wants. How many buy the homes that they buy, is still a mistery to me, according to their professions they don't seem to me to be able to afford many of the houses the they buy. but they never get into many of the factors that are necessary when you buy a house. so, let's simply enjoy the program and enjoy the houses, and let reality for another show.

Posts: 4901 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rker, I used to enjoy HHI to see how "the other half" live, but even that palled after I found out the hunt was fake. And as for the houses shown in this country, they are just plain boring.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
They all want ugly dated granite counter tops too! Ick! Stuck in the 1990's? I would like some more people looking at Eichlers and Craftsmans like they had on awhile ago.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Maybe HH was better when they were in Los Angeles suburbs, where homes were so expensive that people focused more on location and affordability than granite, SS, and hardwood floors.

Posts: 775 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love HH... am watching last night's right now.... good thing I can't reach through the TV and strangle the wife.... she wants to paint rustic beams white.....

posted Hide Post
I agree about granite and craftsman houses.... ad what's with 20 year olds who need 3500sf, granite and stainless and 20X30 bedrooms? Good grief.

posted Hide Post
How can someone have a problem with stainless steel and use the name "Airstreamingypsy?"

Posts: 732 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good question. Smile

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Did I read correctly? granite dated? so90's ? gee. and I have been the one that always thought that granite was a pretty ugly stone. LOL

Posts: 4901 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hahahaha... Chuck Steak.....

Actually, Airstreams are made of aluminum..... (c:

posted Hide Post
I've never liked the look of granite... or the feel. I like quartz and concrete for counters.....

posted Hide Post
rker and airstreamin, I guess we were all ahead of our time. I was tired of granite within two minutes of the first time I saw it. Too busy for me. I have quartz but if money were no object, I think I'd have soapstone.

posted Hide Post
Ohhh... I should have also said soapstone... I love it, its gorgeous! I agree that granite is too busy.... I'd rather do a fun backsplash and a plainer counter.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I am so glad to hear many of your comments, a couple of years back, when I made the mistake in saying that granite would be passe, they almost stoned me to death, and said that I didn't know what I was saying.
Well, I guess that now, people realize that granite is for many not a stone that they would put in their kitchen. I agree, granite is much too much of a busy stone. don't care for it, and never did.

posted Hide Post
I've been wondering about the owners of the houses that the buyers turn their noses up at. (Grammar??) Anyway, if I was the owner of some of those houses, my feelings would really be hurt. Sometimes the buyers make fun of the decorating, or colors, or call the whole house a gut job. I feel sorry for the owners, having that said about their houses on national TV.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I saw today a program called MY First Place that really surprised me. First time buyers that actually act and respond like normal human beings,no attitude, or stupid remarks, and all of them wanting to buy homes below to what they were approved by their banks, and willing to put a decent downpayment. I saw several of those episode this morning and coulnd't believe what I was seeing, they all had different Realtors, no adding your downpayment to the amount that you were approved by the banks, Has anyone here seen that program? it was such a pleasant surprise that I don't doubt that it has been cancelled for no drama, just actual facts and really normal people.

posted Hide Post
I've always like that show.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I like the show too. I haven't seen any new episodes although someone here said there are a few. I haven't been able to find them.

You must have seen a really "good batch" as there are also buyers that are as demanding as the HH's buyers. Big Grin

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:

... First time buyers that actually act and respond like normal human beings, no attitude, or stupid remarks...

I saw that episode also and was soooo pleasantly surprised that the young couple was positive, upbeat and made very few negative and snobish-like remarks about the houses they toured.

While the hubby was disappointed in the backyard of the house they bought, he said he realized that "No house is perfect."

What a great attitude, huh? Smile

Posts: 1025 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Julianna76
posted Hide Post
It is amazing to me that 20 somethings have all this money for a huge "first home". With college kids "looking for work"...I wonder if mommy and daddy are "kicking in" for the house. Something my parents would never have done. You've got to crawl before you walk. Property Virgins and the Property Brothers really hit on on the "reality" of buying a home.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I LOVE house hunting shows because they are the nearest thing on tv to a travel program. Travel channel has nothing but disgusting food shows and contests. The thing I agree with is that the people doing the hunting are extremely spoiled, greedy and ignorant. Talk about the "ugly American" - these people personify that. I just watched one in Costa Rica where these Californians were looking for a house on a fireman's pension (of all things) and their expectations were ridiculous. I'm tired of hearing about things being "dated" and "small" when they are perfectly fine for any normal family. The whining is really obnoxious. They also made some comment about "losing" their house because it was worth less than they owed. You don't lose your house over that.
My generation went through a period of being underwater in the 80's and we didn't run away. We paid the mortgage and waited for the market to recover.
Real people with reasonable wants and needs would make Househunters my favorite program. As it is, when they start talking about budgets I tend to tune it out and just look at the pretty pictures.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
I saw one the other night that was ridiculous...

The couple was looking for their "First Place," but they refused to even consider a house that their dog "Butters" didn't like.

Seriously????

I understand wanting a house with a yard that is adequate for your pet, but they were obsessive and unbelievably adamant about the dog "approving" the property.

I was sitting there in bewilderment and wondering what's gonna happen when or if they have kids?

1. Will "Butters" get jealous?
2. Will they make sure "Butters" approves of their decision to start a family?
3. Will they move again, because... Well, you know the baby will HAVE to feel comfortable with the house too. Smile

Posts: 1025 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I saw the same show, and my husband and I couldn't stop laughing. If they were really real and the whole thing wasn't scripted, I wonder what their reactions was when they saw themselves on National TV showing off their amazing stupidity.

posted Hide Post
hahahaha! I remember "Butters" I would buy a place with a good yard for my dogs, but they don't get to participate in the decision.

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
They also made some comment about "losing" their house because it was worth less than they owed.

They probably feel that they were victimized by whoever it was who made them purchase their over-priced home at gunpoint.

Little kids and dogs like to go wherever their parents are. All that talk about "Junior really loves his new room" is so silly. Because you've asked him a zillion times, "You like your new room, don't you?" and he responded? And as for Fido, he just wants to know where his bowls are.

posted Hide Post
Considering the age of many of the buyers, I don't see how any of them can keep up the mortgage payments.... who gets approved for a 350,000.00 house when they are still in college? I think that's why so many lost their homes...

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Budget. That's the one thing that strikes us as strange on these shows. How do these young people get budgets of 400,000 to a half million to spend on a first home? To make it worse the home looks like it was built in the 50's or 60's and is worth about $100,000 with no land.

I didn't think Florida was so inexpensive until I saw what some of these homes in big cities are selling for.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
That is my husband's favorite question whenever he sees any of these programs.
I guess that there are by far too many young couple making lots of money or, you have to believe that all is TV and nothing ir real.

posted Hide Post
"I am a robot. I love the granite countertops and the stainless steel appliances. I am a robot..."

The truth is, my house looks nothing like the ones on HGTV, but I love it. The walls are covered with artwork, the kitchen has white appliances, and the ceilings are pretty low. But it all makes sense, and I don't think there's another house quite like it. That's what's missing from the house-hunting shows, any semblance of individuality. I don't hate the shows, but they have the potential effect of limiting what people might think of as a great home. And all 20 or so of the house-hunting shows are the same with only slight variations: 1. Look at three homes. 2. Choose one.

I've only seen Property Virgins once, but at least in the episode I saw, the budget of the first-time buyer seemed a bit more realistic. So I'm going to give that show another chance.

By contrast, an episode of House Hunters I saw recently claimed that the couple had a "tight" budget of $680,000. They ended up with a house with a nice open kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite countertops, not to mention dark hardwood floors and an extra "powder room"...

"I am a robot."

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
aricat, the final straw with me was learning that they DON'T look at three houses and choose one. They have already bought the house they "choose" on the episode plus their comments on the houses are "suggested" to them by the producers.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Yes, isn't that a hoot.!!!!!!!! they have already bought the house, way before they do the show.
And they try to tell us otherwise.
I look at HH just to see the prices in other areas, most of the time I don't agree with what they end up with.
The other day, I saw a show that the lady wanted quartz in her kitchen of a house they were selling, and she was discouraged because the husbands told her that people preferrd granite because they didn't know that quartz was a lot more expensive. Not too many know that quartz is a lot better type of stone than granite.

posted Hide Post
I don't care that they already bought the house... I watch to see the houses, and to guess which one they chose. I remember one girl walking into a house in Denver, in a short sleeve T-shirt but when they were inside, through the window, you could see it was snowing out, and the snow was deep....

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aricat:
"I am a robot. I love the granite countertops and the stainless steel appliances. I am a robot..."

The truth is, my house looks nothing like the ones on HGTV, but I love it. The walls are covered with artwork, the kitchen has white appliances, and the ceilings are pretty low. But it all makes sense, and I don't think there's another house quite like it. That's what's missing from the house-hunting shows, any semblance of individuality. I don't hate the shows, but they have the potential effect of limiting what people might think of as a great home. And all 20 or so of the house-hunting shows are the same with only slight variations: 1. Look at three homes. 2. Choose one.

I've only seen Property Virgins once, but at least in the episode I saw, the budget of the first-time buyer seemed a bit more realistic. So I'm going to give that show another chance.

By contrast, an episode of House Hunters I saw recently claimed that the couple had a "tight" budget of $680,000. They ended up with a house with a nice open kitchen with stainless steel appliances and granite countertops, not to mention dark hardwood floors and an extra "powder room"...

"I am a robot."

in most cases i don't think wanting those things are people being robots but more wanting to protect their investment and appealing to as many buyers as possible when it comes times for possible resale.

now, my approach is to buy houses from free spirits like yourself at reduced prices because you wont have as many buyers willing to pay premium prices, then make the required superficial upgrades myself, and have instant equity.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
The problem that I have with your statement that people are protecting their investment for the time of resale.
Is the fact, that if they live anywhere for over 5 years in that house, how do they know what would be fashionable at that time.

Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
most of the homes they pick are fake LOL
I only watch for locations and scenery

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...-hgtv_n_1592900.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting article... but really folks, its a TV show..... The fun is seeing all the homes in different locations and guessing which one they'll choose.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem that I have with your statement that people are protecting their investment for the time of resale.
Is the fact, that if they live anywhere for over 5 years in that house, how do they know what would be fashionable at that time.
you only know what you know at that time, and if things change, then you adjust when that happens. i feel granite is probably getting a little outdated for more sophisticated stones. also a while back i hated white cabinets but they seem to be in vogue now while cherry seems to be a little out of vogue.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
You are correct, granite now I have seen many of them say " it's so 90's" LOL. which pleases me, becuase I always disliked granite, don't like busy stones. Believe me, I got beaten up too many times for saying that granite would not endure the test of time.
And yes, now is White kitchens, well, I guess that we need to really take notice when we buy a house, not on the countertops or the kitchen cabinets, or the wood floors, But on the basics,
flow or rooms, electrical issues, roofs, gutters, any really basic construction problems and then focus on what we would need to do in order to make that house our own. You can change a countertop, but you cannot change location.

posted Hide Post
quote:
You are correct, granite now I have seen many of them say " it's so 90's" LOL. which pleases me, becuase I always disliked granite, don't like busy stones. Believe me, I got beaten up too many times for saying that granite would not endure the test of time.
And yes, now is White kitchens, well, I guess that we need to really take notice when we buy a house, not on the countertops or the kitchen cabinets, or the wood floors, But on the basics,
flow or rooms, electrical issues, roofs, gutters, any really basic construction problems and then focus on what we would need to do in order to make that house our own. You can change a countertop, but you cannot change location.

i agree 100%. watching those shows and seeing people pass on houses for simple cosmetic reasons is a little frustrating. with minimal investment and a week, it can be as though the cosmetic issues never existed.