HGTV Message Boards
Thank goodness for HGTV!

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4104031632/m/9113937967

Apr 14, 2013, 10:48 AM
jaysmom49
Thank goodness for HGTV!
I'm so grateful that HGTV is there for us, specifically Love it or List it and HH is just as bad. Without HGTV, I wouldn't have realized that....
You can't possibly prepare a meal without granite counters or stainless appliances.
Having asbestos in your walls (undisturbed) creates bad air quality in the entire house and is a health hazard.
That when you renovate you must be sure that the 2 bedrooms are the same size or your 27 & 28 yr old sons will fight over which room is theirs (can we say MOVE out?)
If you don't have an open floor plan, there is no way to spend any quality family time.
You can sell your house for top dollar and move into a more expensive house even if the plumbing doesn't work, the roof leaks, and there is only electricity in some rooms.
That PAINT is considered "too much work?"
I could just go on and on....what do the rest of you think?
Apr 14, 2013, 11:43 AM
Sparky
The asbestos issue becomes an issue when you start renovating. I suspect Canada has similar laws to the USA with regards to asbestos, once a licensed contractor starts doing work and opens up a wall and finds it he has to abate it properly. Rules for lead paint are much tougher now especially for contractors.

The whining is all part of the formula for the show. I'd love to see a behind the scenes when they instruct the homeowners to go off and b-tch and complain. A DVR and a fast forward button makes the show much more enjoyable.

In real life if you were remodeling and the contractor came across unforeseen structural issues or knob and tube wiring you'd need to to what Hilary does, cut something or more likely increase the budget. Increasing the budget for Hilary never happens but David gets to go out of the price range most of the time. The couples usually want to stay in their neighborhood for $50K more than their unrenovated home is worth and have a fully renovated open concept home. Not. Gonna. Happen.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Apr 14, 2013, 12:31 PM
mainecoon1995
I have learned that it is inhumane to expect a couple to live in a home with carpeting. Hardwood floor are to be expected, no matter what the cost of the home.

The younger you are, the more you HAVE to have it all right away. Unfinished basement? Are you kidding? Less than four bedrooms for a 25 year old couple? Balderdash!

It must be a health violation to have less than two and a half to three bathrooms. Same with a single vanity in the mandatory en suite master bathroom.

Any movement of more than one car past the home is unliveable traffic.

As far as LIOLI, I have learned that David has difficulty finding the correct home until the end of the show.

Couples must expect to have Hilary fix all the plumbing, insulation, flooring in the entire home, give a brand new kitchen, master bathroom and finish the basement for $15,000, and whine like two toddlers in daycare when it is not possible.
Apr 14, 2013, 03:31 PM
metwo
Smile Smile
Apr 14, 2013, 11:46 PM
Charcoalsmom
Funny!!!
Apr 15, 2013, 09:40 AM
Sparky
Mainecoon and Jaysmom,
You have summed up the show quite well. One that killed me was the real estate husband and his wife a few weeks ago, he allegedly knows real estate and his local market but still expected the world for not much more than his current home and a full kitchen remodel and a number of other things for $80K. In a $750K house you could easily spend 10% of the value of the home just on a major kitchen remodel.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Apr 15, 2013, 12:07 PM
mriley
I enjoyed reading these posts. You are all right on the money. I agree with everything that was said.
Apr 15, 2013, 12:12 PM
zone9alady
This thread is funny and sad. If it wasn't for HGTV I would have never known that some people pay $400 and $500 thousand for a home that I would pay $100 thousand for. It's unbelievable! I know location is important but please....5 times what the house is worth? Confused

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford
Apr 15, 2013, 01:46 PM
Sparky
quote:
Originally posted by zone9alady:
This thread is funny and sad. If it wasn't for HGTV I would have never known that some people pay $400 and $500 thousand for a home that I would pay $100 thousand for. It's unbelievable! I know location is important but please....5 times what the house is worth? Confused

I wonder at times how far and wide from home base they'll travel to do a show. The price ranges on LIOLI and Property Brothers can be very dramatic. Some prices are in line with what I'd expect here in NC and some are very much what I'd expect in NYC or Chicago or LA. I believe most of the shows are shot in Toronto.

I'm sure for you Z9L the price difference between central FLA and coastal FLA can be very dramatic and certain coastal area (West Palm, Miami) much higher than some other coast areas.

General Disclaimer

Apr 16, 2013, 09:45 AM
Peoplearenuts
OMG - you are so right jaysmom49. I truly do not understand why the adults have anything to say about which house they are going to buy = the kids and the dog need to make the final decision. Also, it does not dawn on the buyer that they are not buying the furniture and artwork. All these shows must scour the planet for self centered, spoiled, bratty buyers. There is not much reality on these realty shows.
Apr 16, 2013, 11:35 AM
zone9alady
You bet Sparky, I'd understand living on the coast...it's always more expensive. I live about 30 minutes from the coast and an hour and 15 minutes from DisneyWorld. The closer you get to either the more expensive.

I guess we got lucky in the cheap section! LOL!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford
Apr 18, 2013, 08:56 AM
lavern2
I'd like to add that...

Thanks to House Hunters:

* If I had kids, I'd NEVER purchase a house with stairs - Junior might fall

* I could NOT bear to live within eyesight of my neighbors - I've never heard of curtains or blinds

* Although I INSIST on "living in downtown," I can't stand the sound of traffic

Smile
Apr 19, 2013, 03:53 PM
Debbyinohio
quote:
Originally posted by lavern2:
I'd like to add that...

Thanks to House Hunters:

* If I had kids, I'd NEVER purchase a house with stairs - Junior might fall

* I could NOT bear to live within eyesight of my neighbors - I've never heard of curtains or blinds

* Although I INSIST on "living in downtown," I can't stand the sound of traffic

Smile

Got that right. I have to laugh when they go into the privacy issue. Apparently they are not very neighborly from the start. Don't think I would want any of those folks for neighbors. And of course, the traffic issue. What do you expect living within the downtown area. (Shake my head)!

As for the other issues brought up. I don't understand the logic of only giving Hilary a measly amount to renovate yet spend almost a million to buy a new home. Shouldn't there be a contingency to allow for structure, electrical and/or plumbing issues? They expect her to perform miracles for almost nothing or they go and pout and whine that she had to cut something. Talk about riding high horses!
Apr 19, 2013, 04:26 PM
Charles D
Yes HGTV taught me I should hate my parents for raising me on a dangerous piece of waterfront property so close to the treacherous ocean! The nerve of them expecting me to share a bathroom with the rest of the family. I am sure I am scarred for life not having my own sink, a playroom,or walk in closets.Imagine having to leave my surfboards and bikes outside instead of in a finished garage! And I'm quite sure all those delicious meals prepared on barbaric white appliances were just pure dumb luck.Thank you HGTV for opening my eyes to how destitute and pitiful our lives were.
Apr 19, 2013, 07:51 PM
jimzmum
Thank goodness I had no HGTV when we bought our home in NJ in 1984. The children's bedrooms were upstairs. Upstairs! The fact that we had our little radio thing in the baby's room made no difference, these days it would be idiotic to even consider.

And! Ack! No fence. Whatever happened to putting a fence in after you buy the danged house?

What is with insisting a washer and dryer be included? Frankly, if you can't afford to buy a washer and dryer, you have no business buying a home.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow". Anonymous

Apr 21, 2013, 11:37 AM
mainecoon1995
Jimzmum, I agree. If I wanted a fence, I would want the fence that looks good to me. In other words, a falling down, cheap fence is worse than no fence. When I bought my house, as strange as it sounds, I had to bring a fridge, washer and dryer. I know today that is weird, but I managed quite well.

I was also traumatized by growing up in a house with one small bathroom. It was so dangerous, I had to share a room with my sister.

Gasp! We didn't have a dishwasher...rather, our dishwashers were girls with two hands apiece.

We didn't block our neighbors out. We got to know them. They were good people. Are homeowners today so into themselves that they think they are the only decent people on the street? How do they make friends? I like knowing my neighbors and knowing they are watching out for us like we do for them.

Our parents were so stupid, they figured when they told us not to play near the road, we would obey them. They also were dumb enough to think we could figure out how to maneuver stairs. Of course, what could you expect from two people who didn't revolve their entire lives around two girls and a dog? They actually were selfish enough to figure out how the house would work for them and for my dad to get to work. My father was a silly man...he actually finished the basement himself. And we got to play in it...it wasn't considered a "man cave".

I guess I roll my eyes a lot at owners. Now, I like House Hunters. It is a fun show. I am not knocking it. I am knocking people who are so spoiled, that have to have everything, right now. I grew up in the boonies....30 minutes to a grocery store. On the shows, they don't want a 20 minute commute. Heck, I drive 25 minutes to work now and don't think anything about it. They want access to shopping and restaraunts...I can't imagine why homes foreclose because owners can't pay the mortgage. In my soapbox tirade here, I guess I am saying that what we are being presented with, for the most part, are very self absorbed people.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mainecoon1995,
Apr 22, 2013, 12:42 PM
lavern2
Ohhhh, I totally agree, Mainecoon...

I cannot believe people complain about a 20 minute commute!!!

I drive 40 minutes (one-way) every day to work and I don't complain, because I "chose" to live in the suburbs - where the schools are excellent, the homes are larger, and the crime rate is very, very low.

My neighbors are lovely people and we look out for one another too. Smile
Apr 23, 2013, 03:47 AM
ntuitive1
If not for HGTV I never would have realized that my once trendy 5 year old kitchen cabinets were "outdated" and needed to be replaced!
Apr 23, 2013, 10:53 AM
Sparky
quote:
Originally posted by ntuitive1:
If not for HGTV I never would have realized that my once trendy 5 year old kitchen cabinets were "outdated" and needed to be replaced!

Some would tell you they were outdated as the installers left your property. ;-)

General Disclaimer

Apr 23, 2013, 08:12 PM
Debbyinohio
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
Yes HGTV taught me I should hate my parents for raising me on a dangerous piece of waterfront property so close to the treacherous ocean! The nerve of them expecting me to share a bathroom with the rest of the family. I am sure I am scarred for life not having my own sink, a playroom,or walk in closets.Imagine having to leave my surfboards and bikes outside instead of in a finished garage! And I'm quite sure all those delicious meals prepared on barbaric white appliances were just pure dumb luck.Thank you HGTV for opening my eyes to how destitute and pitiful our lives were.

Heaven forbid the houses would also have black appliances let alone white ones. My folks have black appliances and they work! If the white ones work, what's the problem? Talk about entitled snobs! And what pray tell is wrong with a dated house? Our house was built in the 60s. Good enough for us. Some people, Geesh!