Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  NOT Love It or List It
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NOT Love It or List It Sign In/Join 
posted
This show is so phony, it insults the intelligence of viewers. Hillary and David are obnoxious, but the real turnoff is all the false drama that permeates the show: the negative and complaining homeowners, the missed deadlines, the expense overages, the wish list that doesn't get met, etc. m Just ridiculous. The show would be much more appealing if you just showed real people -- there ARE nice ones out there -- with accommodating rather than annoying and unpleasant "stars."

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
False drama. That's what networks are outputting nowadays. The over-long pauses whenever someone is about to make a decision, the "tension" of competition. The pregnant pause is to make our hearts race. ("And the winner is...") It might have worked in the 1950s, but it's incredibly stupid now.

I guess the TV people really think that we're sitting on the edge of our chairs and NOT rolling our eyes, ready to switch channels. I watched part of some Design Star Show involving a White Room yesterday, being slow to turn off the TV, and the false drama plus the uninteresting designs produced had me changing the channel before I heard the final decision Really? People find this interesting?

Clearly, I am not part of a prime demographic.

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lady of shallot
posted Hide Post
This show is one problem over and over again. It is always in the basement. always something the professionals "could not have foreseen" even though a bright kid from kindergarten could. Also it always involves never finishing something on the ground floor.

Plus everybody is obnoxious. . . maybe Hilary marginally less so than the realtor guy.

Posts: 12489 | Registered: Jun 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jovtfam4
posted Hide Post
Haha, I agree. They are all really unpleasant to each other.

Posts: 3363 | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never been able to watch this show. I DVR the show but only watch the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes. I watch to see the home owners list of complaints and then I skip all the way to the end to see how the home renovations came out and whether they decide to love it or list it. I cannot watch all the drama. Obnoxious perfectly describes how I feel about David. Hillary isn't so bad but not good enough that I'd be willing to watch the entire show. Maybe if she had a show of her own but to watch the entire show would require wasting my time and watching all the forced drama and listening to David and that is something I will not do.

Posts: 86 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in agreement with the other posters about the attitudes on the show. I always think "their mothers would be ashamed of them".

However, it is so cute when Hilary and David do the "are you going to love it?" or "are you going to list it?". And when the winner tells the loser they have to buy them a drink.

Posts: 226 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David is fine but I find Hillary combative and generally unlikable. She talks up her skills, fails to plan realistically, realizes she's unable to execute, then goes back to the homeowners with the "You've got a problem..the budget doesnt cover what I need to do..." + has the audacity to get irritated when the homeowners are obviously disappointed. She was the one who promised the vision of what they wanted...

Overall, I love the show's premise. They just need to recast w someone likable (e.g. Meg Caswell or Monica Pedersen) and skillful (like Candice Olsen)

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The jury has been out (so to speak) for me in regard to this show, but after tonight's episode (featuring Mike & Theresa Renton as homeowners), I will NOT be watching it again!!! That couple was just RUDE. They were rude to each other. Their demands and expectations were FAR from realistic. The wife literally BLAMED the husband when the contractor found water problems with the basement - as if it was HIS fault???? She even said earlier in the episode that SHE was the one home most of the time, so why didn't SHE notice it?! She seemed like a selfish, spoiled brat (let me tell you something, lady, if your husband makes enough money for you to be a Stay-at-Home Mome AND you can afford a $650K house, CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY AND SHUT UP!). The husband was not much better. He was condescending in his manner and tone, especially towards the realtor. It disgusted me. I always liked watching HGTV instead of the other "Reality" shows out there, because the people were better behaved and more polite. If I wanted to watch ill-mannered trash, I'd turn on Jersey Shore. If this is the kind of programming HGTV is going to start showing regularly, I will NOT be watching anymore!!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it mucheasier to watch this show -- and all other reality shows -- but FINALLY having it sink WAAAY into my mind -- that they're all staged, just like any other scripted drama on TV.

So now I watch with completely different expectations.

When there's an argument -- I already know -- staged.
When I hear the list of what they want for the money -- unrealistic from the get go.

I watch for RESULTS mostly. NOT the REVEAL -- the results of the remodel.

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by omesaara:
The jury has been out (so to speak) for me in regard to this show, but after tonight's episode (featuring Mike & Theresa Renton as homeowners), I will NOT be watching it again!!! That couple was just RUDE. They were rude to each other. Their demands and expectations were FAR from realistic. The wife literally BLAMED the husband when the contractor found water problems with the basement - as if it was HIS fault???? She even said earlier in the episode that SHE was the one home most of the time, so why didn't SHE notice it?! She seemed like a selfish, spoiled brat (let me tell you something, lady, if your husband makes enough money for you to be a Stay-at-Home Mome AND you can afford a $650K house, CONSIDER YOURSELF LUCKY AND SHUT UP!). The husband was not much better. He was condescending in his manner and tone, especially towards the realtor. It disgusted me. I always liked watching HGTV instead of the other "Reality" shows out there, because the people were better behaved and more polite. If I wanted to watch ill-mannered trash, I'd turn on Jersey Shore. If this is the kind of programming HGTV is going to start showing regularly, I will NOT be watching anymore!!!!
I agree that the the Rentons were RUDE. I just watched that episode tonight and I couldn't get over how picky they were! They had a budget and that's what you get for that money. They complained the whole half of the show and then more! They were very ungrateful because their house was very nice! Their renovation was a lot of work and the basement turned out great! Excellent work!! I wondered if they ever sold their beautiful house or bought a new one?? I still like Love It or List IT" and would continue to watch though!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: romoinsunphx,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do enjoy both David and Hilary, they actually have some good tips for renovating and purchasing a house. What makes the show so difficult to watch are many of the people that are featured. 95% of them are annoying. We are talking about people who let their current dwelling fall down around them and then expect to have it made perfect with little of no expense. Then they expect to have houses found that should just be given to them just because...

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm embarassed to admit I watch this. Only because I like to guess what the homeowner is going to do. As with House Hunters, I'm pretty good at guessing correctly.

I am curious though. How does this show "work"? If there was any thought I might be selling my house, I am not going to sink a bunch of money into it. So, the homeowner spends all this money and then they just walk away?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched LIOLI before it even made it onto HGTV. So when I saw it here, knew it wasn't a new show, and all about the format.

Because it's so repetitive I stopped watching it for a while, but recently stumbled across a couple of shows -- and one's I hadn't seen, at that.

Now that I watch with all the fakery as a given it's much EASIER to see the show for what it is and not get upset because the reno budget is not realistic from the get go...or David shows them a house that is clearly not what they want.

Another viewer said something I never thought of....

Clearly the reno is done on the house, BUT could this be like the show "Hidden Potential' used to be ...tha the couples NEVER DID HAVE TO REALLY BE LOOKING FOR A HOUSE, or buy one.

For all we know the couples are just on the show to get the reno done....that the entire love it list it part is fake. Do the couples really sell their house...uh, one that they've just put 25-thou or more thousands into? who does that?

And I still don't believe the values of the houses increase that much...putting 30-thou in improvements is not going to increase the value by 60-thousand.

And don't even get me started on why ANY of the budget AT ALL is spent on furniture and accessories. You'd THINK if the budget is not enough from the start it would all be spent on the BONES of the HOUSE, not things that aren't actual contracting work...! duh. How about a reveal that's new house but all their own furniture. (I have this same pet peeve for Property Brothers) Doesn't ANYONE want to stretch the reno budget..and keep their furniture?

And why do the hosts and couples have to have TWO meetings...one for the 'must haves,' then after Hillary and david have seen the house another meeting to get the budgets. That's stupid and a time waster. WHY can't they give the budget at the first meeting so that's know before they go to the house....Here's our 'must haves' and here are the budgets. Simple, done.

Oh, but then maybe they'd have to fill with even MORE fake arguing, reno glitches and drama. Nevermind.

I watch the beginning, a little of the middle...and come back for the reveal. I channel surf on the commercials of ALL HGTV shows. There's not a ONE I watch straight through. Sometimes I remember to come back...sometimes I don't.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: clbselah,

posted Hide Post
Agree with you, clb. Recently read somewhere that they film two closing scenes - one w/stay and one w/sell - and then tptb during the editing process determine the outcome.

Not surprised to hear it - it's been done on other HGTV shows. Probably explains why they're about 50/50 overall for its entire run.

Will try to find the link to that revelation and post it.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of posts from elsewhere on the fakery:

"Several houses in my neighbourhood have been done over by the show. One couple, although they said on the show that they were going to list, are still there four years later. Yes, they do shoot two endings. Houses in Toronto and in my area specifically are rarely on the market for more than two weeks. There would be no way that a couple could put an offer in on a house David shows them without it being unconditional. There just isn’t enough time to get a house while waiting to see what Hillary has accomplished."

....another:

"I live in the area and know of a couple who were on the show. What we don’t see is that some of the houses the couple are looking at, are not actually for sale. As well, the “after” shots of the rooms are not actually finished, sometimes. My friend’s room was only half finished as they ran into more problems during the renos, so they took the shot to look as though the rooms are complete. Actually, they even did not finish sewing some of the cushions for the couches and just wrapped the fabric and placed it just so to look as though it was."

posted Hide Post
Interesting to hear but not at all surprising, clb. Sounds like the typical reality show routine. Do you have a reference for those quotes?

Remembered where my info came from WRT filming both endings. Tough to find b/c it was actually posted in the Comments section by the Hooked on Houses blogger after her House Hunters posting. (She wrote about the TX couple and HH fakery.)

I did a quick search on the words "love it" and it was about the 3rd item to pop up. She posted it on 6/11/12 at 10:44 a.m., according to my system.

Obviously, we don't know where she got her info but it makes sense to me. Haven't ever heard about a LIOLI participant blogging or being interviewed (nondisclosures?) so figured a neighbor or friend would spill the beans at some point.

posted Hide Post
quotes on Love it or list it from:

hookedonhouses.net/2011/07/26/love-it-or-list-it/

posted Hide Post
Thanks, clb. Saw her post about LIOLI but it was very generic. Guess the comments must be a treasure trove of information - again!

posted Hide Post
I can not stand this show!! Hilary NEVER does everything she promises. Perhaps she has forgotten how to have an INSPECTION before she promises the world - IT never HAPPENS. This is the one show on HGTV that I will NOT watch. It's so not up to par for HGTV. Dump it!

Posts: 1 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
Its just a scripted,rehearshed tv show folks,

I myself like the the concept of this show,luv the end results Hilary puts into these homesSmileSmile

the continual problems? its call showbiz, as bad as some feel about this show these people are just doing a job,and are probably pretty well paid for it!

AND we do have the option to change the channel,as my remote does continously over the endless repeats that pop up all different times of the day and night

As I have stated many times before,Hilary can redo this ole house of ours anytime she pleases, and no way would we list it!!LMAO

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it or List It is by far the worst show ever on HGTV. I can not believe it is on so often. Dump it please. Absolutely annoying.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are way too many annoying shows on HGTV now, but LIOLI has to be the worst. Staged beyond belief, but even worse Hillary is the most pathetic designer I have ever seen. Does she ever consider building permits, possibly looking to see how much crawl space there is or even thinking about supporting walls? I am just a homeowner with no design training, but when I designed the 4 major renos/additions to our house I took all of these things (& more) into consideration. When I presented my designs to our contractor there were no problems (unlike Hillary's designs). What the heck is with her attitude towards her contractors when they can't give her what she designs within her budget? They must be paid really well to put up with her attitude. David is no better, showing houses that exceed their budgets or don't meet their needs. Please cancel this pathetic show. I miss Candice and Genevive....real designers!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tapdancervt,

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeanQ
posted Hide Post
I'm so sick of this show and it's on all the time now. The shows are all old episodes from a TV station in Canada. I'd rather watch old episodes of designed to sell, as long as they had Clive Pearse, Lisa LaPorta and Monica Peterson in them. Just the CA. and Ill. shows only please.

I guess I was wrong. There have been no more new shows. It was just wishful thinking on my part. I still can't understand why they would cancel their best show.

Posts: 17 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: Feb 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the premise of this show, and I like both David and Hillary, but I hate all the fake drama. There is always something that comes up in the renovation that requires Hillary to cut some of the plans and they never like the first two houses David shows them, but the third one is always a possibility. Then there is what I hope is the coaching that the homeowners must go through for all their inept and unrealistic expectations. I would love to see this show fixed and the fake drama removed, I really think that there is enough true drama in what they are trying to do without all the phony baloney stuff they pull.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Carolyn EG
posted Hide Post
Can't stand this show and the fact that HGTV is cramming it down our throats. Fake, fake, fake. Do they actually sell the house? What is all the arguing about? Really fake. I just can't stand to watch this show. If I see it listed I avoid HGTV for the rest of the day. I am about to give up on HGTV.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am another not fan of this boring, plastic show. I watched it at first and realized quickly I did not like the hosts or the premise. I won't watch this show and if it's on, I switch channels. Please find something better with hosts that are actually likable and believable.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't stand all the bickering and how "b......y" the people are on here. I don't blame the realtor and designer for getting irritated at the home owners. Another thing I can't figure out is all the shows seem to be coming out of Canada. I'm sorry because I can't relate to the homes and the mentality of the people on these shows. It's just strange seeing homes like they have there. Like nothing where I live at all. I just watched an episode with "Goeff and Sandra"!!! My gosh the woman homeowner had the worst attitude. I don't enjoy this at all!!!! Don't think I'll be watching any longer. I did watch the new one "Love It Or List It Too". Just as bad as the other series!!!!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would love the show--good concept and beautiful remodels.

But I can't stand all the yelling at Hillary! No one yells at David (although they trash talk behind his back every now and then).

Who wants to see made [or real] verbal abuse on HGTV? We are people who love HOME!

And when those two men went off on Hillary so terribly I felt sick--until I came to my senses and realized how fake it was.

There is nothing interesting about verbal abuse. Do you yell at your contractors in life before you talk? Nonsense.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Mar 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HGTV...If you're listening, please dump Love it or List It. Not only is this a horrible show, you show it very hour on the hour. HGTV used to have such great design, landscape and real estate shows. Now it's either Love It or List It or the d*&! Property Brothers. It was so refreshing to see Curb Appeal: The Block this morning. Please put more shows in rotation. You are overdoing it on the LIOLI and Property Brothers. We are not stupid, every episode of LIOLI has the same stupid scenario. Hilary can't do what she promises to do and David finds crappy houses until he shows the 3rd house. And I wish my interior designer or realtor would talk to me the way they talk to the home owners! Enough of this show already!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it's not fake. They really ARE that dumb! I AGREE!! The 'Love It or List It" woman NEVER checks blue prints or city permits. Meantime, all our favorite shows are GONE - like Color Splash / Candace Tells All / Unsellables / Design on a Dime / High-Low Project -- Furthermore, last year's Design Star -Danielle - never got her own show! Furthermore, HGTV has THE NERVE to run 'Love It Or List It' 50 times a week and Design Star only TWICE!! I think we need to BOYCOTT HGTV and show them not to muck with viewer loyalty.

quote:
Originally posted by Jeaniebaby:
This show is so phony, it insults the intelligence of viewers. Hillary and David are obnoxious, but the real turnoff is all the false drama that permeates the show: the negative and complaining homeowners, the missed deadlines, the expense overages, the wish list that doesn't get met, etc. m Just ridiculous. The show would be much more appealing if you just showed real people -- there ARE nice ones out there -- with accommodating rather than annoying and unpleasant "stars."

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I AGREE!! The 'Love It or List It" woman NEVER checks blue prints or city permits. Meantime, all our favorite shows are GONE - like Color Splash / Candace Tells All / Unsellables / Design on a Dime / High-Low Project -- Furthermore, last year's Design Star -Danielle - never got her own show! Furthermore, HGTV has THE NERVE to run 'Love It Or List It' 50 times a week and Design Star only TWICE!! I think we need to BOYCOTT HGTV and show them not to muck with viewer loyalty.

quote:
Originally posted by LolaLalaBean:
I've never been able to watch this show. I DVR the show but only watch the first 5 minutes and the last 5 minutes. I watch to see the home owners list of complaints and then I skip all the way to the end to see how the home renovations came out and whether they decide to love it or list it. I cannot watch all the drama. Obnoxious perfectly describes how I feel about David. Hillary isn't so bad but not good enough that I'd be willing to watch the entire show. Maybe if she had a show of her own but to watch the entire show would require wasting my time and watching all the forced drama and listening to David and that is something I will not do.

posted Hide Post
I AGREE!! The 'Love It or List It" woman NEVER checks blue prints or city permits. Meantime, all our favorite shows are GONE - like Color Splash / Candace Tells All / Unsellables / Design on a Dime / High-Low Project -- Furthermore, last year's Design Star -Danielle - never got her own show! Furthermore, HGTV has THE NERVE to run 'Love It Or List It' 50 times a week and Design Star only TWICE!! AND HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT HGTV RUNS 'LOVE IT / LIST IT' LIKE 50 TIMES A WEEK??? BUT IF YOU WANT TO SEE A RE-RUN OF 'DESIGN STAR' - FORGET IT. It comes on twice a week and that's it. I think we need to BOYCOTT HGTV and show them not to muck with viewer loyalty.

quote:
Originally posted by AdieP:
HGTV...If you're listening, please dump Love it or List It. Not only is this a horrible show, you show it very hour on the hour. HGTV used to have such great design, landscape and real estate shows. Now it's either Love It or List It or the d*&! Property Brothers. It was so refreshing to see Curb Appeal: The Block this morning. Please put more shows in rotation. You are overdoing it on the LIOLI and Property Brothers. We are not stupid, every episode of LIOLI has the same stupid scenario. Hilary can't do what she promises to do and David finds crappy houses until he shows the 3rd house. And I wish my interior designer or realtor would talk to me the way they talk to the home owners! Enough of this show already!

posted Hide Post
The original was quick and witty. This version falls short everywhere! The stars are trying too hard to be David and Hilary, they SO are not! Sad replacement. Frown

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How long do we have to endure this ridiculous show? Can't HGTV which I have watched for years get it through their show producing heads that NOBODY THINKS THIS SHOW IS FOR REAL and so much garbage. The phony drama is literally laughable and doesn't anybody wonder why they NEVER show a house actually being bought? gee I wonder why? please stop insulting us with this show.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that Love It or List it is possibly the worst show on television, all 300+ channels here.

As soon as the show comes on, the channel is changed. It should be canned.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I believe that I read somewhere that HGTV lost over 200,000 millions last year. That could be the reason as to why they are only putting all of this shows and really nothing new.

Posts: 4987 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post