Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Property Virgins with Host Egypt Sherrod
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Virgins with Host Egypt Sherrod Sign In/Join 
posted
I love Egypt Sherrod & the NEW Property Virgins show! I also listen to her radio show on V103-Atlanta GA. She's a savvy business woman!

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
love MS. Egypt, savvy buisness woman, have to give this gal credit, she had some big shoes to fill and her persistance and personality won me over, luv watching PV again SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She is growing on me. I liked Sandra as the host but she has moved on. I haven't seen a lot of the new Property Virgins with Egypt but I have liked the shows.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gail_D
posted Hide Post
Just as it took some folks a while to warm up to Sandra when the show first started, it's taken a little time for folks to warm up to Egypt. I'm glad they gave it a brief hiatus for a while so folks could settle down and give her a chance. And I too like seeing the Atlanta shows. I like to go to the MetroBrokers.com website and try and see if any of the houses they show are still on the market. It helps knowing the area a bit though!

But that's just my 2 cents!

~Gail~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To quote a very wise person....
"There is a cover for every pot & a homebuyer for every home!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 4404 | Location: Someplace between FL & NY | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I like her but miss Sandra.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gail_D:
Just as it took some folks a while to warm up to Sandra when the show first started, it's taken a little time for folks to warm up to Egypt.

So true.

I live in Texas and can't believe what $160K bought in Atlanta. Didn't realize they had a housing bubble (that burst) there.

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually found tonight's episode (9/11/2012) actually kind of insulting. I had some folks over for the evening and told them I thought the new season of this show was in Atlanta instead of NYC, so we tuned in.

I'm not sure who did the "casting" for the woman in the show tonight - but - seriously?? I'm not even sure I can say this without the system blocking it, but those short short "hoochie-momma" dresses that looked sprayed on? C'mon... was someone in the producer's department at HGTV purposely trying to insult Atlanta? People who dress like that here are either A) Charging by the hour, or B) Laughed out of the room by most other people here.

Look, I know the range of people buying homes are just a diverse as any of us, but for real, it must have taken a lot of time to find a dozen stereotypes wrapped up into one human body for this episode. Can we try to not insult Atlanta's image next time you do the casting for home buyers for the show, please? Thank you!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Greg 30127,

Posts: 199 | Location: Atlanta, GA. USA | Registered: Mar 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Greg. Who is the knuckle head who thought it might be fun to let the Buyer on the 9-11-12 show dress like a "lady-of-negotiable-affections"? Good Grief - did you see her (wait, how could you miss the bright red spandex) Frankly, I couldn't look at anything else but her rather ample figure, mainly because it was so prominently displayed in what can only be described as tacky, retina-burning, shrink-wrap. This show is supposed to be about property, correct? What in the name of all good taste, does this autrociously dressed woman have to do with buying property.

Are the producers of the show so desperate that they had to stoop to shock-and-awe to get our attention?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tobewan,

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
with all this critisism, makes me wonder if "maybe"?
its the same critics that complained about the early beginnings of this show?

Oh the name of this show is insulting!

Oh this Sandra gal gets on my nerves!

She's so pushy etc..

Oh do you see how she dresses? and OMG those b**bs of hers always showing them
etc.......

Can't anyone see anything good in these people????

Geeshhhhhhhhhhh Frown Frown Frown Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
That's why they call it Hotlanta, right!

Lissen, I'm a native NYer and currently a Texas resident. If I had a dollar for every ugly, stupid stereotype made about Texans and New Yorkers, I'd be a billionaire by now.

BTW, if you really want to reach the right folks with your grievances, you need to contact Cineflix, the production company for Property Virgins: http://www.cineflixproductions.com/production

Posts: 5244 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@CC-IMO - "it's the same critics WHO complained about the early beginnings of this show"

I don't know if you were calling me out on this, but in case you hadn't noticed, my post was my FIRST post, and no, I have no problem with the show, with the new host, with the old host, with b**bs in general (I have them, too) BUT I do have a problem with a producer using a trashy looking buyer to ramp up ratings.

I'm sure the buyer on the show is a nice person, takes care of her family, is nice to animals, etc, etc....but it's hard to "see the good in these people" when you can't get past the Hooker apparel and the 14" cleavage being shoved in the viewer's face.

So - you go right ahead and see the good, bunkie. As for me, I'm calling em like I see em, and that whole episode was T-A-C-K-Y to the max!

Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
sorry I was not calling anyone out "maybe" is just what it says

I don't care personally how other people dress

"entertainment is entertainment" regardless of how they dress?

as for the good in people, I try to keep an open mind and look past defects, I see enough in the mirror every day LOL

and I have seen a lot worse on other networks LOL

as for "BUNKIE" LOL I am from Calabria Italy, I don't think that shoe fits me SmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
WOW, Greg and Tobewan.

I so agree with your observations. This woman was over-the-top. On this board, we usually use the acronym HO for Homeowner....

I thought in the last show that Egypt looked like she'd taken off a bunch of weight. Next to Michelle, didn't she look downright SVELTE? She and Michelle looked like The Good and The Bad of a full-figured woman. Egypt had it going on.

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:
WOW, Greg and Tobewan.

I so agree with your observations. This woman was over-the-top. On this board, we usually use the acronym HO for Homeowner....

I thought in the last show that Egypt looked like she'd taken off a bunch of weight. Next to Michelle, didn't she look downright SVELTE? She and Michelle looked like The Good and The Bad of a full-figured woman. Egypt had it going on.

Egypt did lose a lot of weight and she dresses pretty well, as for the Buyer, don't agree either with how she dressed and wondered why the producers didn't tone her down, but as I previously said how people dress doesn't bother me,

Its how they act that makes me what to praise them or scream at them LOL

posted Hide Post
@aychihuahua - Thanks for the link.....I sent an email with my "grievences"

I'm from the NW - we get our share of stereotyping as well, but this went so far beyond good taste, I just had to speak my peace.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
Gracious, who knew there were such easily offended tender sensibilities on this site.(eye roll)

Who the heck cares what the buyer was wearing.

If I were the seller of the house she bought, she could walk around n.ekkid for all I care. Just show me the money, honey. That's all I'd be concerned about.

Posts: 5244 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gail_D
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:

I thought the same thing about Egypt. That buyer really was over the top. Thankfully, though I live in metro-Atlanta, I have not personally experienced anyone like her.

But you have to remember - she lives in the same state that has given us Honey Boo Boo (on TLC). I think the TV producers kind of enjoy seeing how folks will react!

But that's just my 2 cents!

~Gail~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To quote a very wise person....
"There is a cover for every pot & a homebuyer for every home!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 4404 | Location: Someplace between FL & NY | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gail_D:

But you have to remember - she lives in the same state that has given us Honey Boo Boo (on TLC). I think the TV producers kind of enjoy seeing how folks will react!

I'm proud to say that I only recently heard the name Honey Boo Boo. I think she's a kid but that's all I know. See, ignorance can be bliss.

Can you imagine some stodgy type or even redneck type as he watches Michelle moving next door? Priceless.

Personally, I would be quite amused. I suspect that she would probably be a comical neighbor (I mean that in a good way).

Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
Gracious, who knew there were such easily offended tender sensibilities on this site.(eye roll)

Who the heck cares what the buyer was wearing.

If I were the seller of the house she bought, she could walk around n.ekkid for all I care. Just show me the money, honey. That's all I'd be concerned about.

LMAO SmileSmileSmileSmile

posted Hide Post
RE: the weight loss

Read somewhere that the new hostess was heading off on maternity leave after wrapping her first season.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All that and she didn't even end up buying a house after all....!

Posts: 87 | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gotten to like her. She is married and has a daughter. Her husband is a dj. She films PV on week-ends because she has a radio talk show during the week.

Posts: 1278 | Location: northwest NJ | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CC-IMO:
with all this critisism, makes me wonder if "maybe"?
its the same critics that complained about the early beginnings of this show?

Oh the name of this show is insulting!

Oh this Sandra gal gets on my nerves!

She's so pushy etc..

Oh do you see how she dresses? and OMG those b**bs of hers always showing them
etc.......

Can't anyone see good in these people????

Geeshhhhhhhhhhh Frown Frown Frown Frown

CC-IMO.... just curious, did you actually watch the episode we were talking about?

Posts: 199 | Location: Atlanta, GA. USA | Registered: Mar 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I just caught a few minutes of the show last night and I know now what so infuriates me about this program (although I like the new host) and the My First House home buyers - making their first offer on a property and all of a sudden they are the experts in home values, the housing market and what the house is worth now or down the road. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg 30127:

CC-IMO.... just curious, did you actually watch the episode we were talking about?

yes I didSmileSmileSmile:
I always watch the shows I post on

PLEASE be nice LOL

posted Hide Post
I still miss Sandra.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jul 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jozielee:
I still miss Sandra.

WE DO TOO SmileSmileSmileSmile

posted Hide Post
Egypt is great, very personable and she litiens to the buyers and tries to read between the lines when they aren't saying much. In the episode about the young player looking for condos, I thought she should have included a discussion of HOA fees. That cost can make or break a condo / townhome sale; new buyers may not be aware of that additional HOA cost which can be substantial over time.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Would someone here in this message board explain something to me.?
If a buyer has 15,000 for a downpayment and has been approved for 150,000 how come they can look for houses in the 200,000 level? I always thought that a downpayment was supposed to be used to decrease your mortgage payment and or to pay for your closing costs. Please anyone explain the math that I see in this program?

Posts: 4986 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you're referring to a specific episode, rker -

In general, you're correct. A downpayment s/b applied to equity. The buyer needs add'l **$ to cover closing costs. In your example, the buyer's max would be $165K and they would need extra cash, over and above the 15K, to cover any closing costs.

Was it the typical reality show pipe dream that every seller will significantly reduce their list price b/c of the stupendous HGTV actor/host's incredible negotiating skills, lol?

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Surf now, that is the typical response by the host of this show. she ads the downpayment to the price of the house that they are looking for. In my opinion this is a diservice to new buyers, because what are they going to use for a downpayment if they buy above what they are qualified for and how are going to pay for their closing costs. This is how Egypt tells their buyers when she introduces a program is not any particular program is the standard procedure for this program.

Posts: 4986 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting to hear, rker. Have to admit I've stopped paying close attention to many of these details b/c they're so often - well, how do I politely say it - (blanked)-up.

Sounds like they need a new production assistant or at least a decent intern to create the opening graphic, write Egypt's lines and load same into the tele-prompter. Get what you pay for, right?

Darn, now I must watch and actually pay attention!

Have a good one, all.

posted Hide Post
I do not understand why any of these buyers think the seller should pay the closing costs. If you can't afford the closing costs (from your "down payment" money}, look for a cheaper house. Either that, or the sellers will inflate the selling price so they come out with the cash they really want from the sale. Why do buyers today feel they are entitled to whatever they want even if they can't afford it? Why do they want move in ready and do not even want to paint? Things have sure changed since I bought my first house. We expected to do some work, especially paint, maybe carpet, etc. What a spoiled bunch of buyers.

Posts: 190 | Registered: Jan 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Now I guess that you start to understand as to what happened to the housing industry. many buyers couldn't really afford what they bought.but with shows like this one I don't think that they are going to learn at all.
Down payment is what is says, to down your mortgage liability. closing costs although are negotiable,is not to be expected. therefore, please future property virgins, this show will lead you to a path to where there is no good return.

posted Hide Post
Definitely agree with you two about the issue of closing costs. If first-time buyers can't cover the closing costs, do they have sufficient maintenance and other reserves? Not to mention all of the other incidental costs of moving and new homeownership -

I had a chance to view 2 recent, new episodes, rker. In each, they properly added the downpayment to the loan amount and used that as their budget. IIRC, they only toured 1 property (out of 6) that slightly exceeded that budget.

My dvr only picks up new episodes. Perhaps this is an error they made early on and then corrected over the seasons.

ETA: If buyers believe they're somehow fooling sellers with the closing cost giveback - I'm sorry to inform them that sellers review the net proceeds when reviewing offers. Appraisers, too, BTW.

JMHO.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SurfNow,

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I have been discussing this issue since Sandra had the show, In this particular show they always add the downpayment to the figure that they are supposed to be approved by the bank, I don't know how many times I have come to his board and challenged that.
Obviously not too many buyers either realize that is not the way to buy a property or they get manipulated by the realtor. I don't know which but it is dangerous for anyone to acquire a mortgage that is higher than what they have been approve for, and then they ask for the closing costs. Dont anyone tells them that there is taxes and insurances above their monthly payments, how about any incidental that they may have to cover. Either they are not very savvy or this is all fake. I can't believe that there are so many naive buyers.
Again, if you are approved to buy a house at150,000 and have 10,000 for a down payment you don't buy a house that is 160,000 you buy a house that is tops 150,000 and get a loan for 140,000. not the other way around.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rker321,

posted Hide Post
Although I agree with you about the buyers' need for more cash and additional reserves, realtors don't sell property in the manner you described IRL. They generally add the dp to the loan amount and for the rest of the transaction, it's usually caveat emptor, i.e. let the buyer beware.

Well, to be fair to the large population of realtors, exceptions exist to any general rule. If the buyer's lucky, they'll mention closing costs and possibly some (not all, usually) of the incidental costs.

If we wait for a faux-reality TV program to essentially get even more real than RL, we'll be waiting until doomsday - and then some, if you ask me.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
I quit watching the show ages ago because I didn't like Sandra's attitude and the whole premise.

As far as some of the comments made here-

Rker - not everyone buying a house for the first time is stupid. If they are that stupid the probably do not have the cash or the credit rating to buy a house. Also, not every real estate agent is a crook preying on innocent home buyers. It is a tough business with a lot of competition and we don't want to tick off anyone.

Also, the financing and money part is primarily handled with their lender. I suggest to newer purchasers that although they might qualify for $XXX they should only borrow what they are comfortable with as far as monthly payments.

Has everyone forgotten that this is television? Not every other home buyer is asking for closing costs to be covered. In fact in my years in the business the only time any closing costs have been covered for my buyers have been when they are buying new construction and it is part of the package. Even then, I don't recommend it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Thank you Charming, that is what is not emphasized in this program. they make the viewer believe that they should buy for more than what they have been approved for. Yes, you are correct, Most of the Realtors that I have had contact with are honest individuals, and of course most of the real "virgins" are not stupid. I alsounderstand that this is a TV program, but, I do believe that they have some ethical responsibility to show and if they are trying to really inform and teach anything to "virgin" househunters, they should really stick to a more realistic approach. I guess the drama will always be there. Surfdown, I have bought may properties in my lifetime, and I have always had very honest Realtors that were careful to show me homes to my limit or barely above, My downpayment was always 20% which I always used to bring down my monthly payments. and or pay closing costs etc. Yes being comfortable with the monthly cost is probably the most important factor in bying a home. Too many "what if's " happen.And we should be prepared for them. It was up to me to buy a house that needed more of that 20% of the total value and that would have been an increase in what the bank was going to lend me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rker321,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:

Most of the Realtors that I have had contact with are honest individuals

Surfdown, I have bought may properties in my lifetime, and I have always had very honest Realtors

rker321, I wasn't characterizing realtors as dishonest. Don't believe I even came close to that territory. In fact, I mentioned the addition of a dp to the loan amount for the buyers' budget and stated a couple of times that I was speaking only in general terms.

I am sure your realtors understood your specific concerns and addressed them, accordingly. For other clients, they probably emphasized those clients' specific, unique (that is, not necessarily financial) concerns, IMHO.

As Charming indicated, realtors typically refer financial matters to lenders. No disrespect to lenders and/or their staff but they're not (usually, anyway) personal financial planners, either.

100% of the buyers who ultimately end up in f/c were previously approved for a loan, by definition. IMHO, at the end of the day, the borrowers must read the loan documents and accept responsibility.

As I mentioned in a previous post, this is reality television. PV isn't a documentary or PBS - not that PBS would necessarily get it right, either.

I try to avoid criticizing other professionals. We're all doing our best to fulfill a specific function within a tough marketplace. I am sure you didn't mean it that way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SurfNow,