Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  property brother's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

property brother's Sign In/Join 
posted
Property brothers have inspired my wife and I that our next house could be a fixer upper. How do people go about finding a designer - contractor that can do this kind of work in our area that we can trust to deliver the quality we see in our favorite show?

Posts: 1 | Location: texas | Registered: Jun 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I will suggest that you could call HGTV and see if they could lend you the property Brothers.
Otherwise, Contractors usually work and do contracting, Developers employ architects, contractors and designers for staging the model homes.
I don't know of any of those individuals that actually do and work all three.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happy,

PB is reality television, i.e. not real. The "quality" you mentioned may be smoke & mirrors. In real life, it's very difficult to deal with a fixer-upper.

Do you realize that the brothers are actors? They do not serve the homeowners as either contractors, designers or realtors. With the exception of some design services provided by a Toronto design firm, the homeowners/PB participants engage and compensate local professionals for all three functions. (A local design firm finishes out the space and stages accessories.)

Approximately 80 hours are shot to produce a 1 hour reality television program. When you consider the fact that these programs typically shoot 4-6 episodes concurrently, the actors simply don't have time to fulfill other roles.

In addition, production companies do not take on the liability associated with construction jobs and real estate transactions.

Construction jobs always require far more time and money than you think. Homeowners do not recoup their upgrade costs upon resale. Unless you can do a great deal of the work yourselves and produce top-notch quality, be prepared to lose **$.

Ever hear a salesman quote a 70% "return" from upgrading a kitchen or bath, for example? That means it'll cost you 30%, assuming you resold your home immediately after the upgrade.

Remain in the home for a few years and you'll be lucky to recoup 50%, IMHO. (As time passes, your upgrade becomes dated and depreciates.) And, for both examples, I'm assuming you installed generic, neutral upgrades that appeal to many or most homebuyers.

If your material selections are unusual or taste-specific in nature, plan on remaining in the home indefinitely. Otherwise, you may have a difficult time reselling the property and will recoup very little, if any, of your investment.

Anyway, before taking on a fixer upper, I suggest you obtain referrals to skilled professionals in your area.

All of the above is JMHO.

Good luck -

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please, please stop pushing these jerks on the public. They are so scripted and so arrogant. And they are constantly showing reruns over and over. And this Brother vs Brother is terrible. They try and be funny sometimes and they make idiots of themselves !! Please STOP this madness!

Posts: 2 | Location: South | Registered: Jun 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I think that this type of programming like the Property Brothers and others are cheap to produce and that is why we are seeing them.
and yes Agua Bella you did a great job explaining this program.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, rker.

I was very concerned that this OP needed to think about the actual reality of home renovation instead of the faux reality as presented by HGTV and other networks.

posted Hide Post
I am aware this show is scripted, but buying a fixer upper can be a good decision for many people.
It is possible to buy a fixer, fix, then sell for a profit. Homeowners can recoup their investment, I've seen it many times.

Posts: 2481 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nobody disagrees with you, Meischa.

Newbies, however, shouldn't make that type of significant, financial decision on the basis of a faux-reality television program, IMHO.

I've seen inexperienced people lose many thousands of dollars, up to 6 figures from their retirement funds, buying fixers.

posted Hide Post
I like "FIXER UPPER" better than "PROPERTY BROTHERS" because they FIX UP the CURB APPEAL also! they also are funnier and kinder as they are looking and finding the homes to renovate! I know the PROPERTY BROTHERS have an office in AUSTIN, TEXAS but they have not yet acquired any SOUTHERN CHARM!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
And who in Texas is going to hire them? they only renovate houses in the upper 700,000 and at atrocious prices. I doubt that the rich people in Dallas are going to contract them to decorate their homes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:
And who in Texas is going to hire them? they only renovate houses in the upper 700,000 and at atrocious prices. I doubt that the rich people in Dallas are going to contract them to decorate their homes.

Hire them? They're actors - they don't have a shingle out to renovate homes. They were in TX to film episodes and that's all.

Decorate? They use a Toronto design firm plus local designers to stage homes. Neither of them designs anything.