Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Hello People, You're in EUROPE!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hello People, You're in EUROPE!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of lavern2
posted
I'm still amazed at the people who opt to move to a european or asian country and expect to get the spaciousness and/or styles that homes in the U.S. have.

Anyone else cringe at the young woman who just couldn't get over the fact that the washing machines are located in the bathrooms in many european locales????

Posts: 1025 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People who demand the same level of comfort, space and/or ammenities that we have in the States should stay home - whether they're traveling or moving. These are the same people who gush about how eager they are for the grand adventure of living abroad.
I like my way of living in the US but think I could maybe be talked into being flexible on a few items to spend a year in say, Florence or Paris.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am embarrassed for these stupid people who do no research before they go abroad. Why not learn a little before you go and stop comparing to what you had here?

Look around you and tell yourself, "Oh this is how they live here. How fun!!" If you want things the same, for pete's sake, stay home.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I agree with all of you.

That said, are there any typically American standards that you'd insist on?

I can't think of anything outside some of those extremely tiny kitchens with no countertops or those 3-ft by 3-ft shower stalls (I think I've only seen them in some of the Asian countries). I think the adjustment to having less (space, storage, even smaller 'fridges) would be character-building and part of the travel experience.

Posts: 775 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
I could adjust to the small kitchens and bathrooms.

I'd also enjoy "experiencing" a bidet...

...Those combination washer/dryers (in the bathrooms or kitchens) would be interesting to use as well.

However,

If the climate was hot and muggy, I'd have a VERY hard time living without air conditioning. Smile

Posts: 1025 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Well, I do think that they have air condition in Europe, and if you want that you can have it.
The culture is different, they use rooms differently.
For example, open floor plans, with the kitchen out there infront.
Who wants to see the cooks and maids in the kitchen when you have guests.
Remember, in those cultures, maids are not consider as much of a luxury as we do here in the US.

Posts: 4902 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavern2:
I could adjust to the small kitchens and bathrooms.

I'd also enjoy "experiencing" a bidet...

...Those combination washer/dryers (in the bathrooms or kitchens) would be interesting to use as well.

However,

If the climate was hot and muggy, I'd have a VERY hard time living without air conditioning. Smile

Agreed on the A/C in places where there are no significant breezes (as in the Caribbean) and on the bidet experience.

Shopping almost daily would be a very different experience.

Posts: 775 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I'm pretty spoiled with "American" bathroom facilities - and the older I get the more I think that's the one thing I'd have a hard time doing without.
The smaller kitchens and tiny fridge I could handle - after all, they usually do go "shopping" every day and food is just handled differently there. Love the idea of a maid. LOL
Another thing that would be difficult for me is the numerous apartments they show that are on the 4th or 5th floor and they have no elevator. Even on my best days I'm not wanting to trek up several flights of stairs and I for sure don't want to have to schlep groceries or whatever I'd purchased up there either.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind the stairs - Good exercise - As long as I was physically able to climb them...

...If I lived in France or Italy, I'd need all the exercise I could get, because I would be in "hog heaven" with all of that good food! Smile

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
If I relocated overseas only to find that I couldn't get anything but a 3+-story walkup, I'd be extremely depressed. I'm not a city person anyway, so if I couldn't live in a tiny house on the outskirts, I wouldn't even relocate, UNLESS it was for a year or less.

posted Hide Post
You can get a bidet seat at Lowe's or Home Depot if you want to have the "experience" without having two pieces. Depending on your requirements, it really depends on where you live. Three stories is not as bad as you think. Try a six story walk up. THAT'S EXERCISE.

Posts: 1 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: Jul 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The set ups are so fake, and comments so inane, I don't even consider those when watching. On the few times I watch I try to tune that out as much as possible.

Given that all the info they give you (or much of it) is fabrication, I just figure the people are told to say the stupid stuff they do. THAT is what's so frustrating, that producers this this is what we want to hear.

People keep watching so why would thy do anything differently?

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two things I would miss are air conditioning and a bathtub. I cringe when I see those teeny tiny showers or worse, the wet rooms with a hand held shower and a drain in the corner of the room.

Posts: 1723 | Registered: Aug 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to mention how insulting their comments may be to the agent and how annoying it must be to an agent for buyers to laugh at a property. In every episode, you can just about guarantee this comment, "oh this is just too small, look at the size of the (appliance, room, etc)". Guaranteed. And it doesn't matter how many times an agent will remind them they are not in the US and it is typical for smaller things abroad.

I'm Good As Long As It's Feng Shui!

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jun 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not to mention how insulting their comments may be to the agent and how annoying it must be to an agent for buyers to laugh at a property.

But the person showing them around who is supposed to be their agent likely really isn't their agent....so the person isn't insulted or embarrassed at all. It's all a scripted scenario. So yes the comments are stupid...but EVERYONE IS IN ON IT.

It's no different from a scripted written drama or comedy show with a cast of actors. The 'characters' are just supposed to be real people, that's all.

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clbselah:
quote:
Not to mention how insulting their comments may be to the agent and how annoying it must be to an agent for buyers to laugh at a property.

But the person showing them around who is supposed to be their agent likely really isn't their agent....so the person isn't insulted or embarrassed at all. It's all a scripted scenario. So yes the comments are stupid...but EVERYONE IS IN ON IT.

It's no different from a scripted written drama or comedy show with a cast of actors. The 'characters' are just supposed to be real people, that's all.

I agree, I think the comments are only made for the American viewer. The "buyers' are already aware of the differences in their home country and the one they are buying in. I just ignore them.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another thing that would be difficult for me is the numerous apartments they show that are on the 4th or 5th floor and they have no elevator. Even on my best days I'm not wanting to trek up several flights of stairs and I for sure don't want to have to schlep groceries or whatever I'd purchased up there either

Dooles, those people walk, and walk. Everytime I go to Europe they kill me with their walking. LOL. Even the older people walk and climb stairs I guess, we are not really fit as they are, and of course heavier.
Air condition is something that you can get, everywhere in Europe, if you so wish, and in the Caribbean, is everywhere.
As far as the bidet, Europe and Latin America is a standart option. although I have seen that they use it also in Japan but is all encompassed with the toilet.

Posts: 4902 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scripted or not, it is insulting.

I'm Good As Long As It's Feng Shui!

Posts: 130 | Registered: Jun 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MsWildhack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZenMama:
Scripted or not, it is insulting.

I agree completely. If it's scripted, it's even more insulting -- to we, the viewers, as much as the real estate agents. I mean, it's one thing for people to truly be spoiled and stupid. It's another thing entirely if the producers of HH and HHI are deliberately having people behave that way because they think that's what we want to watch.

------------------------------------------------
I've been around...well, all right, I might not have been around, but I've been....nearby.
-from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"

Posts: 400 | Registered: Jun 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
The shows are not scripted. Dialogue is not printed on TelePrompter or cue cards to be read by the homeowners, which is what "scripted" TV means.

The director may ask the homeowners to repeat a comment or amplify on it or clarify it or dramatize it, but, for better or for worse, the words are the homeowner's own mostly candid and spontaneous remarks.

Posts: 5163 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
The shows are not scripted. Dialogue is not printed on TelePrompter or cue cards to be read by the homeowners, which is what "scripted" TV means.

The director may ask the homeowners to repeat a comment or amplify on it or clarify it or dramatize it, but, for better or for worse, the words are the homeowner's own mostly candid and spontaneous remarks.

I can't decide which is more sad:
a. If scripted someone is actually paid to write this stuff; or
b. Some Americans moving over seas have so little knowledge of what to expect in their new homes they make *sses of themselves on national television.
:sad:

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
The shows are NOT scripted, REPEAT, not scripted.

As for the clueless home buyers in Europe, no comment.

posted Hide Post
Depending on the reasons for their move, I'm prepared to forgive people a little naivete. Some of the transplants are job related moves, in which case the buyers are relocating for their careers. In these instances their nervousness, or awkwardness isn't always tempered by a sense of adventure. If you are just winging it and moving abroad for a lark or a new experience I'm much less tolerant of the complaints.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I would think that people would make the effort to research the housing market a little before making the decision to live overseas. That would be something to consider before taking a job.

Still, I gotta admit, you make a good point, Charles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: santa_fe,

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I still believe that the value of this program is to show us, what is available and at what prices in a particular city/country. the rest, is irrelevant.

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:
I still believe that the value of this program is to show us, what is available and at what prices in a particular city/country. the rest, is irrelevant.

Exactly.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
On the whole, I think it is a much more interesting program than HH. I also think most of the buyers/renters are no where nearly as obnoxious as the typical couple on HH.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dislike watching stupid people and shows. Research before you go, for heavens sake you can do that online. I simply won't watch dumb shows. I've been abroad and things are different, you are in a different culture not the USA. Get over it and enjoy the differences or moan and stay home. Some of these people would not be happy wherever they go. Relax and enjoy the culture of the country that you are in at the time. I don't care where you are, if you are constantly complaining and making unfavorable comparisons, no one wants you around.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In spite of the fact that many of the house hunters on HHI are idiots, I still watch the show when it is Europe or Asia because I enjoy seeing inside houses and apartments in those areas of the world. I do cringe when they say such stupid things, but still, I like seeing behind the curtains.

I don't watch the beach countries at all but that's just me.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:
I agree with all of you.

That said, are there any typically American standards that you'd insist on?

I can't think of anything outside some of those extremely tiny kitchens with no countertops or those 3-ft by 3-ft shower stalls (I think I've only seen them in some of the Asian countria couner space about 3 feet longon es). I think the adjustment to having less (space, storage, even smaller 'fridges) would be character-building and part of the travel experience.
I love to cook and would much rather have a small kitchen. I do all my prep work on a counter space about 3 feet long. Any thing bigger then that is superfluous. Americans want big kitchens for no other reason then the obnoxious belief that bigger is better. Find a cook and you will find a person who wants everything within easy reach. Having said that , that is the reason I really find all the house hunting shows so annoying.

Posts: 24 | Registered: May 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I probably find more than half the kitchens I see acceptable. I'd rather see tiny and clean than big and kind of grungy. As Hemingway put it, I'd liked "a clean, well-lighted place" more than anything and this would be my requirement overseas. As I stated long ago, getting with the (foreign) program is character building, and I think that's what I'd enjoy about living elsewhere, learning to adjust to less.