Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Please cancel Love it or List it!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please cancel Love it or List it! Sign In/Join 
posted
I hate this show, it's SO OBVIOUSLY scripted. It's so annoying. ESPECIALLY the PHONY real estate agent and designer. The rude, annoying and phony actors do not make this show exciting and interesting, it only completely ruins the concept of the show and makes me wish it would get canceled ASAP!

Posts: 6 | Location: WA State | Registered: Dec 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's staged - and how! JMHO -

We've heard this program is/was extremely popular in Canada. True? How are the ratings, here?

Posts: 593 | Registered: Feb 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lol...i dont understand why this show is still on the air.
but it is encouraging that i am not alone in my opinion of it and its actors.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fantasized this morning about an episode where Hilary had no major problems and the homeowners weren't rude and nasty. Other designers get hugs at the reveal. I want Hilary to get a hug.

Posts: 227 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Andiegirl
posted Hide Post
I like this show. I think David is half a screwball, and Hillary is a good sidekick.

I rather watch Love It or List It than some of the other programs, ie, House Hunters International, Yard Crashers, Curb Appeal, etc.

I enjoy "My first place", "For Rent", "Property Brothers", "Selling NY", "Selling LA", amongst many others.

WTG HGTV for presenting many entertaining programs. Thank you.

Posts: 4 | Registered: May 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mverch
posted Hide Post
It is a good concept that just doesn't ring true.

Posts: 41 | Location: NC | Registered: Oct 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This show is a total stinker. JMHO, of course!

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love It or List It stinks! It is one of your shows I refuse to watch. Another stinker is Cash and Cary.

Posts: 2 | Location: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Teva
posted Hide Post
I wholehearted agree with Cee-l on Love it or List it and Cash and Cary. What a BIG waste of time. Also i see they are rubbing Meg in our faces again. Can't stand her.Do I sound grumpy, I suppose it is because I have House Hunters itis. I understand the side effects will make viewers short tempered. The only cure is "off switch".

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jul 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I've never watched it before but its on right now. "Choosy Couple Makes a Decision" The husband is the most obnoxious person I have ever seen on any HGTV show. OMG, I want to strangle him. He's ridiculous. I'm watching it because its like a train wreck, you don't want to watch but you can't turn away. Its so awful I'd rather watch the Kardashians!I'll never watch again, just wonder how it will turn out.

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stephanie1836
posted Hide Post
I love the idea behind this show. It is really unique and creative. BUT....this is the worst HGTV show ever! I hate the staged aggressiveness and disgust that the homeowners and the hosts demonstrate continually throughout the show. Of course, the network probably labels it as 'banter' but it is disgustingly fake and annoying!!! Please HGTV, either let the people be themselves and bring some reality to this reality show or drop it off the lineup. I hate this show so much that I actually signed up to these message boards just so I could post how much I hate this show! lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Stephanie1836,

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't mind watching this show. However to listen to it while doing something else is very annoying. All I hear are the tones to the voices and it is not pleasant.

Posts: 227 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about the tones of voices, that's what got my attention today... the guy was so snarky, and his realtor was snarking him back... it was horrible.

posted Hide Post
I have yet to see an episode where Hilary doest have a problem she even remodeled for her two co-workers the ppl in her own remodeling crew and couldnt come thru for them, this show *****. They either need a new designer cause Hilary definately is not fitting the bill or cancel the show, cause its getting annoying watching her every episode come up with an excuse as to why she couldnt fix something, what a joke

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trinigyl:
I have yet to see an episode where Hilary doest have a problem she even remodeled for her two co-workers the ppl in her own remodeling crew and couldnt come thru for them, this show *****. They either need a new designer cause Hilary definately is not fitting the bill or cancel the show, cause its getting annoying watching her every episode come up with an excuse as to why she couldnt fix something, what a joke

my hubby and I noticed that Hilary always comes up with budgets cuts and cuts to the projects and David always finds a 3rd house that is either just right or over budget the Ho just luv? scripted? LMAO

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
BTW we also noticed the scenario NEVER changes
just the end sometimes

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to watch it a couple of times, it's just too much. Hilary always finds something wrong with the house. This week's episode made me go bonkers, the house they picked didn't look any bigger than the house they had. And the husband's tall, and that they're adopting another kid, if the show's still on, that family will be on again.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jul 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CJO
posted Hide Post
Don't care for it either...I just don't' like shows w/bickering!!! That's why I don't watch Design Star any longer!!!

Posts: 2925 | Registered: Oct 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate bickering too, if I wanted bickering I'd get married I watch design Star, but I watch in the beginning when they get their task.... then FF through much of the bickering until the rooms are completed...... then watch the judges critiques etc....

posted Hide Post
I have been recording this show on my DVR lately.One thing I have noticed is every episode of this show is EXACTLY the same scene by scene. So I just fast forward over the drama parts. If you record this show, pay attention to the end credits: The designer is not Hilary: It's actually Desta on most episodes! So yeah, Hilary is just an actor hired to play the part.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Sep 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hilary Farr is a real designer. From Wikipedia: Hilary Farr is an award-winning international home designer and co-host of the Love it or List it television show, along with David Visentin. The show is broadcast on the VIVA, both American and Canadian versions of the OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network, HGTV and W Networks. She is a native citizen of Toronto, Ontario."

She also has a website, www.hilaryfarrdesigns.com

Posts: 152 | Registered: Jul 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This show is so frustrating. I have watched about 8 episodes and the same thing over and over.... problems with the house, can't complete the projects on the list....somehow the new house always wins and it's "LIST IT"...I agree, this is phony. I like the concept, hate the execution and outcome!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gee, was I surprised. David found a great house on his third showing. What a stupid, stupid show. Just once, why can't they like the first house. Also, guess what, they found a major problem in the house they are renovating. Where do these writers come up with their ideas? Certainly not from their brains.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hillary has such a hard time with not only the owners but also her contractors that can never accomplish what Hillary needs to be done I wonder if they are in it just to make extra money Hilary does a great job but the show ***** and so does her contractors.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The more I watch this program, the more puzzled I am by it. We went through a major remodel in 1983 to expand our house by about 1000 square feet. We knew exactly what we wanted and had put aside money for what we wanted done. We didn't tell a designer what we wanted, then hand over the money and hope for the best. There seems to be almost no consultation between Hillary and the homeowners. No wonder there's so much drama. And unrealistic homeowner expectations just add to it.

I've also noticed that basement renovations often don't go as planned. There are almost always major problems that force Hillary to cut projects elsewhere. Most of the homeowners want their basements finished, and when Hillary hears that, she should go running away as fast as she can!

I also wonder how often the "list it" couples actually buy the house David finds for them. I remember one couple wanted to "list it" and buy a house that was listed at around $150,000 above their budget. I wonder if they ever change their minds and decide to stay after all.

At the end of the program, the viewer gets to see how much the remodel has increased the value of the house, but it apparently never occurs to anyone to take into consideration the difference between the increased value and the cost of the renovation. If they don't stay in the house, is remodeling that wise? How much equite do they have? Having lived in the same house for 38 1/2 years, I have no personal experience with this. :-)

Posts: 66 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Aug 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have read on other blogs posters referring to this show as Bill Murray's "Groundhog Day" because it just loops the same story line over and over until you have lost your mind.

If you can handle some really raunchy language the rants on the blog Doing Hard Time In Shaker Heights are hilarious!

Posts: 1803 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Curious - of all the strange and weird programs HGTV has televised over the past few years I don't think any has been roundly hated as much as Love It Or List It.

Even some of the awful personality shows like the "designer" from Texas who shall not be named had her defenders. The unlikeable contractor from Boston actaully had fans, although I think they were family. But no one seems to like this show!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Posts: 3606 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list of Over-50-year-old-Boomers who absolutely hate this program!!!

Recently, they've started to run back-to-back episodes in "prime time" even.

Why?????? Frown

Posts: 1026 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeremiahTB
posted Hide Post
All I can say is "HOLY COW"!!! I recently started watching HGTV again and am getting used to the new programs that have been added over the last decade or so. I must say that Love It or List It is, by far, the WORST show on the network.

I caught a few episodes of the House Hunter shows and thought that there would be no way that there could be anything worse on HGTV. But that was before I watched a few episodes of Love It or List It. The show is obviously 90% scripted, maybe even more. The dramatic exchanges are forced. The issues with real estate and renovations seem to be created by the producers. The designer is a total witch (where does she get that watered down English accent?). The realtor doesn't find houses that meet the clients needs and wants.

This show is an epic fail. Does HGTV think that the viewers believe it is true? I'm confident it is a work of fiction that acts as a home improvement/real estate show; a mockumentary, if you will. I hope it gets taken off of the air soon and replaced with something better. As long as they don't replace it with more House Hunters or Property Virgins.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JeremiahTB,

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: Jun 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wastingthyme
posted Hide Post
Another problem with the script is that the budget to buy is usually 10% higher than the renovation budget. Somehow the couple is absolutely unable to afford another dime to put in a new toilet, but they will have more money to buy a different house AND pay for closing costs, hooking up new utilities, a moving van, etc.

Why not reconfigure this show so it isn't the same script - it is always the third house, it is always some huge argument, it is always stupid.

(By the way - if a contractor ever talked to me the way that lady speaks to her customers - she would be fired so fast! Usually huge plan changes - like removing a bedroom - are discussed with homeowner. Of course they are angry!)

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why can't people just watch the shows they like and not "*****" about the ones they don't like. I happen to like this show, I watched it BEFORE it came to HGTV and I guarentee now that there is a contest to win $50K, most of you will sign
up to win it, even though you "Hate" the show.

They have already cancelled most of the shows I like, there are very few left to like. Most of the ones I don't like are just as "SCRIPTED" as this one, yet I don't get on here and try to get them cancelled, because I understand that other people actually like them, and I'm NOT going to like every show on ANY channel, AND I'm NOT THE ONLY PERSON WATCHING THIS CHANNEL (AND NEITHER ARE YOU). I don't expect these TV channels to "bow down" to my every wish, why should you? Just because you don't like it... get over yourself and turn the channel for that hour, so that the rest of us who do like it can enjoy it.
Everybody is sooo selfish, and you wonder why our children are turning out to be so selfish, well selfishness is a LEARNED behavior....

Posts: 3 | Location: OH, USA | Registered: Nov 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Message boards are open to the public as a forum for people to voice their opinion(s). Having an opinion contrary to either the majority or the minority is part of the open forum process. I think this show is indicative of the "dumbing down" of T.V. in general so I don't care for it. I look to HGTV for valid,constructive design shows that highlight the information involved in the design process. This show, for me, is more like BRAVO, with its emphasis on scripted arguments, which I don't care for. Someone must like this show or it wouldn't still be on. It happens not to be me.

posted Hide Post
I like this show...I agree with some of your points , that there is no closure i.e. did they sell their house how did it come out etc. but for the most part I like it. People do expect too much for a little money in the remodeling phase. But I bet if Candice was designing they wouldn't sell!!!

Posts: 4 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the portions of this show that I watch. But that's just it.... I record it and then watch with the remote in hand, ready to mute or FF through the obviously staged or annoying parts.

Even though it is obviously overly dramatized, I do learn something about renovations and unexpected surprises. And I do like seeing the end result.

I have a suggestion for the OP and any who dislike this show: Don't watch it.

But why demand it be canceled? Folks who don't like House Hunters have been doing that for years and it's aired every day of the week, several hours a day.

People threatened to never watch HGTV again if (insert name of Design Star winner here) actually has a show. The network never flinches.

Such complaints never work. And as long as we are all talking, it's all good. The network has our attention, right?

Posts: 6104 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Good points, Tomato.

Fidget, I understand your irritation completely. While I think this is just the place to gripe about shows and I see nothing wrong with that, I know what you mean about people wanting to change something just because it just doesn't suit them. Time and time again, we experience this in society. "This thing, which is basically harmless and ignorable displeases me, end it." Well, just ignore/don't watch/don't participate and allow others to enjoy the thing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: santa_fe,

Posts: 791 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this show was designed to be sort of comical, but i feel that if Hillary is really using owners cash to reno, she should take it more seriously.They give her 50k for their dream home. 2days in she discovers the house is built on a fault line. After repairs she can only afford paint.The team should be restructored. Hillary should be demoted.A builder should be leading The Team because the changes needed are structural not cosmetic.On second thougth see should be fired,because she is never on the jobsite. Her assistant Desta run the reno.Whenever a problem invarably occurs,Desta has to fearfully inform Hillary.She always guarantees to fill the clients 6to8 item wishlist,but is lucky to check off two items.I would pass out if she would say to a client:"I looked at list.I got some estimates&I'm afraid you don't have the budget to do the complete reno." TALK ABOUT REALITY TV!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fidget1963:
Why can't people just watch the shows they like and not "*****" about the ones they don't like. I happen to like this show, I watched it BEFORE it came to HGTV and I guarentee now that there is a contest to win $50K, most of you will sign
up to win it, even though you "Hate" the show.

They have already cancelled most of the shows I like, there are very few left to like. Most of the ones I don't like are just as "SCRIPTED" as this one, yet I don't get on here and try to get them cancelled, because I understand that other people actually like them, and I'm NOT going to like every show on ANY channel, AND I'm NOT THE ONLY PERSON WATCHING THIS CHANNEL (AND NEITHER ARE YOU). I don't expect these TV channels to "bow down" to my every wish, why should you? Just because you don't like it... get over yourself and turn the channel for that hour, so that the rest of us who do like it can enjoy it.
Everybody is sooo selfish, and you wonder why our children are turning out to be so selfish, well selfishness is a LEARNED behavior....

I would love to know what you do for a living. I'm also curious as to how you'd feel if there was a program on T.V. that made your profession look so foolish it might damage your chances of being hired.

posted Hide Post
fidget, your last statement is breathtakingly inaccurate. Selfishness is NOT learned behavior. Sharing and empathy are what children learn. Selfishness comes naturally.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm also curious as to how you'd feel if there was a program on T.V. that made your profession look so foolish it might damage your chances of being hired.

I've seen your posts here for quite a while, Charles and I'm sure you'd have no problem convincing a prospect that what they may have seen on this show is so far removed from reality that it shouldn't be taken into account. Of course that means you won't be taking the HGTV sledgehammer to any walls without checking to see if they're in place to hold up the roof. Less drama, more design - they can't have everything.

Posts: 748 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shop girl
posted Hide Post
I hated this show when I first watched it but it has grown on me. I find it quite entertaining and always love watching the reveal.

I hope it stays.

Posts: 13 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Aug 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter and I like to watch this show only because it is so bodacious. The people are generally irritant ing, but it is an enjoyable show overall, because sow's ears become silk (or faux silk) purses. I cannot believe that anyone thinks any reality show is real. Unless jazzed up it would all be so boring. Basically, it's fun to see the makeover process and the results.

Posts: 3 | Location: Seattle WA | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kd, I think the point is that this is NOT illustrative of an actual design project.

Posts: 3534 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HGTV is home to such positive inspiring shows, and this is so far from that i can't even watch it. Shows like property brothers, income property, kitchen cousins, house hunters...all have positive energy. This show is so fake and full of rude people it's unbearable. I hope this is not the direction HGTV is heading. HGTV audiences are watching the network for inspiring ideas and hosts. Love it or List it offers neither

Posts: 2 | Location: NE | Registered: Jul 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more. Terrible show.

Leslie

Posts: 3 | Location: Eden, NC | Registered: Jul 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SoCalAngie:
At the end of the program, the viewer gets to see how much the remodel has increased the value of the house, but it apparently never occurs to anyone to take into consideration the difference between the increased value and the cost of the renovation.

Unlike so many on this thread, I actually enjoy and watch this show, but like you, I wonder about the before and after appraisals. Remodeling magazine publishes an annual report of the average cost of many common remodeling jobs, and how much it adds to resale value. I just looked at their 2011-2012 report, and they claim none of the improvements comes close to returning 100% of the cost. A few are over 70%, but some return less than 50%.
On this show, it seems every single before vs. after appraisal returns more than the homeowner budgets for the remodeling job. It seems to range from about 130% to over 200%. How is this possible? Is HGTV adding to the homeowners budget without telling us? Are they giving us bogus appraisal values?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JB, I've often wondered about this, too. Not just for this program, but for other design shows. My guess is that the homeowners aren't charged labor costs for the shows' crews or the designers' services, but only for outside crews hired to work on the project.

Posts: 66 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Aug 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I disagree, I really like this show. I get a lot of ideas from the remodels. Isn't that why we watch these shows?? I love the realestate guy. What a great personality he has. The second appraisals don't make sense to me either but it will always be different depending on where you live anyways.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeanieq
posted Hide Post
While I don't hate it, I'm sort of over it. They are all old shows from Canada. I would like to see a unscripted show that's based here in the States.
I love the Property Brothers. I would buy the DVDs of this show if they were available.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like Property Brothers too. The one who designs the spaces is really a very talented designer.

Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
in defense of this show I luv the end results
its so perfect what Hillary does
but for what the homeowners want for the budget is usually laughable to work with, for the amount she has to work with on some homes that would actually just do my kitchen, and I always figured if they could afford to buy another house WHY not raise the budget for what they want in the current house?????
I wish they would show homeowners that they want is to just to get realistic?????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,