Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Please cancel Love it or List it!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please cancel Love it or List it! Sign In/Join 
posted Hide Post
I noticed the year of this show and seems to be an old show .

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
christmas Eve LIOLI was on for hours, everytime I changed back to HGTv several times and I got P'OD
started watching It a wonderful life,and the endless vhs's and dvd's of Christmas movies LOL

now what was wrong with HGTV playing anything or something connected with Christmas?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely sick to death of seeing this show listed everytime I switch to HGTV. I used to watch this channel almost exclusively because there was such a good variety of fun, creative and interesting shows. You've become boring, repetitive and not so fun anymore. Friday and Saturday nights, with a good variety of half hour shows, were a real treat. Now it's just constant reruns of the most annoying shows and most unappealing hosts on tv. No more Love it or List it, a LOT less Property Brothers... let's get back to what we loved in the beginning: choices, variety, hosts we want to watch and learn from. Stop showing huge blocks of shows - what a cheesy and cheap way to fill a schedule.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Hillary told me she guaranteed she will give me everything I want for the budget I give her and she then told me I couldn't get half, I would have her in court. She complains when someone questions her professionalism. I don't question it, I laugh at it, because it does not exist. What professional would promise the moon with out ever even looking at the structure. How many times has she found out after agreeing to do something that it was physically impossible because of a load bearing wall or zoning restriction or rotted frame?

Posts: 7 | Location: Tucumcari, NM | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ADtheCHEF:
quote:
Originally posted by SoCalAngie:
The more I watch this program, the more puzzled I am by it. We went through a major remodel in 1983 to expand our house by about 1000 square feet. We knew exactly what we wanted and had put aside money for what we wanted done. We didn't tell a designer what we wanted, then hand over the money and hope for the best. There seems to be almost no consultation between Hillary and the homeowners. No wonder there's so much drama. And unrealistic homeowner expectations just add to it.

I've also noticed that basement renovations often don't go as planned. There are almost always major problems that force Hillary to cut projects elsewhere. Most of the homeowners want their basements finished, and when Hillary hears that, she should go running away as fast as she can!

I also wonder how often the "list it" couples actually buy the house David finds for them. I remember one couple wanted to "list it" and buy a house that was listed at around $150,000 above their budget. I wonder if they ever change their minds and decide to stay after all.

At the end of the program, the viewer gets to see how much the remodel has increased the value of the house, but it apparently never occurs to anyone to take into consideration the difference between the increased value and the cost of the renovation. If they don't stay in the house, is remodeling that wise? How much equite do they have? Having lived in the same house for 38 1/2 years, I have no personal experience with this. :-)

Yeah, I always do the calculation, minus the upgrades. Sometimes they make out and sometimes they break even.

I think it doesn't really matter because it is all scripted malarkey anyhow. I'm with the people who say this crap should be cancelled. It is the worst pretend "reality" show (bad acting, contrived drama, etc.) ever. The stars are annoying and it's the same formula: conflict, oops some undiscovered issue that must be overcome, the BIG decision....boring!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the people but the show is so obviously staged. They portray one spouse as being for moving and the other against and at the end you find out it just wasn't true. If I wanted to watch reality shows I would watch TLC or A&E. I don't care how people feel. How many times do we want to see people whining about how long it takes and how much it costs.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What could have been a fantastic show turned to POO. The home owners (who are basically sloppy, filthy, hoarding, loud, rude pigs) act so high and mighty about the properties shown by David. "Scripting??" And how many unforeseen issues will Hillary deal with, predictable and boring. Get real HGTV or I will boycott your advertisers, OK?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Quit trying to push your political views with the carpet munching "couple". No one wants to sit down in the evening and be bombarded with that nasty crap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Desertbull,

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you talking about Desertbull?

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull:
Quit trying to push your political views with the carpet munching "couple". No one wants to sit down in the evening and be bombarded with that nasty crap.

yes "WHAT" are you talking about ???????

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe he was referring (in a very rude way) to the lesbian couple who were on the show Monday night.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jun 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
What I don't understand is why property bros can use such a lower budget and come up with much more renovations and less problems?, I was amazed at the results and the results that were amazing for the lower budget

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

posted Hide Post
quote:

Too bad you feel YOUR views should be represented here. Go back under your rock. Your name calling alone should have you banned from these boards.

Posts: 4 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: Sep 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every show is the same as the last one! Glad I'm not the only one who can't stand it. This used to be such a good channel-I had so many favorites.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I have nothing Tivoed to watch and my first instinct is to hit HGTV's channel..... weekends seem to be nothing but Love it or Leave it.... so... I leave it!

posted Hide Post
I agree. One week-end that's all that was on. I can't stand the show, and they play the episodes constantly.

Posts: 1278 | Location: northwest NJ | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Canadien import that *****.

Posts: 6 | Registered: May 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting idea but HORRIBLE execution. Bad acting, etc. And seriously, she has NEVER completely one job the way it was quoted (if this were real). Stuff does come up in the real world when projects are done, but every time? I know home remodelers - no.

And there was some U.S. version of the show that came on for a couple of episodes not long ago that I caught by accident. It was worse, but the exact same format and "oops we can't do this now" stuff. Got very old, very quick.

Posts: 199 | Location: Atlanta, GA. USA | Registered: Mar 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think this show is always predictable but I still want to see what Hillary comes up with. I do not take the show too seriously or any of the shows on HGTV too seriously. Entertainment to some, a nuisance to others and if I don't like the show I just change the channel.

Posts: 1 | Location: Texas | Registered: Apr 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can change the channel... but when I don't have any shows I want to watch my first go to is HGTV.... and when they have hours and hours of this crap show its not just disappointing, its hurting their ratings....

posted Hide Post
LOVE IT OR LIST IT - IS THE MOST ANNOYING SHOW ON "TV" BESIDE THE HOUSEWIVES. HGTV ought to listen to us when we speak. I seriously doubt that - for instance - Candice Olsen or the Property Brothers get this kind of negative outcry!

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. HGTV is the first thing I turn on in the morning with coffee - and is my "go to" channel. But I noticed something. Ever since Love It Or List It came on HGTV, the whole channel has gone down the tubes!!

WHERE IS DESIGN ON A DIME?

WHERE IS DESIGNED TO SELL?

WHERE ARE -- THE UNSELLABLES - COLOR SPLASH - CANDICE OLSEN - SELLING NEW YORK - AND ALL MY OTHER FAVORITE SHOWS??

FURTHERMORE -- HAS ANYONE SEE EVEN ONE SHOW WITYH "DANIELLE - LAST YEAR'S DESIGN STAR WINNER?" I HAVEN'T SEEN ONE SHOW FROM HER.

Something's going on with this network and it's ruinig my whole day. LOL

posted Hide Post
I've been watching for about 4 years and feel each new episode is a carbon copy of the last. In a way, I feel sorry for the people who apply to be on the show...they have to act like jerks just to get some home improvements done for a little less than they would had they done them themselves. The show doesn't take into account the crew, the fact they can purchase materials at much lower cost etc. I don't think any designer worth anything would take sledge hammers to walls only to find what?...poor wiring, bad plumbing or walls that support. You can bet the show thoroughly investigates what the costs will be before they start...the rest is for show. The people who do it are looking for a cheaper way to get the work done or really are hoping to increase the value of the home so they can move on. I also imagine they look at more than 3 places...they are shown in that order for effect.

Posts: 742 | Location: Canada | Registered: Jan 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, I find this show particularly annoying as well, but it makes no sense to wish so many people out of work that have a job due to this show. Let's be realistic here.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Seriously? You think HGTV doesn't want to know that people are turned on their channel, then turning it off because that horrid show is on?

posted Hide Post
Right - I'd really like to know what happened to my fave shows like - Designed To Sell / The Unsellables / Design on a Dime -- does anyone know?

Picture of elfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by clbselah:
quote:
I have never seen a property that even if you subtracted the remoldel cost did not increase in value per the renovation. One must spend money to make money.

Yes but in most cases -- almost ALL cases -- there is negative return on investment. This increase in value is NOT more than was spent. That's what doesn't make sense, especially if you're going to move or sell right away.

From Remodeling Magazine:
2011-12 National Averages
Midrange Projects

Project Job Cost Resale Value Cost Recouped
Attic Bedroom $50,148 $36,346 72.5
Backup Power Generator $14,760 $7,009 47.5%
Basement Remodel $63,378 $42,338 66.8%
Bathroom Addition $40,096 $20,455 51.0%
Bathroom Remodel $16,552 $10,293 62.2%
Deck Addition (composite) $15,579 $9,780 62.8%
Deck Addition (wood) $10,350 $7,259 70.1%
Entry Door Replacement (fiberglass) $3,536 $1,990 56.3%
Entry Door Replacement (steel) $1,238 $903 73.0%
Family Room Addition $83,118 $50,004 60.2%
Garage Addition $57,824 $33,089 57.2%
Garage Door Replacement $1,512 $1,087 71.9%
Home Office Remodel $27,963 $11,983 42.9%
Major Kitchen Remodel $57,494 $37,785 65.7%
Master Suite Addition $106,196 $62,874 59.2%
Minor Kitchen Remodel $19,588 $14,120 72.1%
Roofing Replacement $21,204 $12,257 57.8%
Siding Replacement (vinyl) $11,729 $8,155 69.5%
Sunroom Addition $74,310 $34,133 45.9%
Two-Story Addition $165,796 $103,391 62.4%
Window Replacement (vinyl) $11,319 $7,692 68.0%
Window Replacement (wood) $12,229 $8,258 67.5%

Upscale Projects Project
Job Cost Resale Value Cost Recouped

Bathroom Addition $76,209 $40,061 52.6%
Bathroom Remodel $52,249 $28,972 55.5%
Deck Addition (composite) $37,829 $20,637 54.6%
Garage Addition $86,347 $44,987 52.1%
Garage Door Replacement $2,994 $2,129 71.1%
Grand Entrance (fiberglass) $7,488 $4,554 60.8%
Major Kitchen Remodel $110,938 $63,731 57.4%
Master Suite Addition $227,178 $114,822 50.5%
Roofing Replacement $37,481 $20,435 54.5%
Siding Replacement (fiber-cemen $13,461 $10,493 78.0%
Siding Replacement (foam-backed vinyl) $14,274 $9,937 69.6%
Window Replacement (vinyl) $14,328 $9,898 69.1%
Window Replacement (wood) $18,999 $12,175 64.1%

This is why people shouldn't buy into what's on TV.
Putting 60-thousand dollars worth of reno work into your house, doesn't mean you'll get 60-thou more than your neighbor who doesn't have those things. Meaning you're NOT making money on that 60-thou. You should do work because YOU want it for YOU to enjoy -- NOT to sell. If you're ONLY paying for materials it may make sense. If you're paying the going labor rate...forgedda 'bout it. Put MINIMAL money into a house if you're doing it JUST to sell.

After looking at your list, and having watched the show, the homeowners are definitely getting their money's worth.

In everyday life, yes, I agree that unless you have money to burn it doesn't make sense to do a renovation just for a sale. Renovations should be made for the owner's enjoyment or out of necessity.

The show is fun, though, and it's amazing to see how even the newer homes can have serious structural issues. Too bad they haven't ventured over to this side of the border, yet!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jan 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJBurr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bballdays:
Yes, it's staged - and how! JMHO -

We've heard this program is/was extremely popular in Canada. True? How are the ratings, here?

It must have been very popular in Canada. Don't see any of the episodes in the US currently.
Now it's 99% "Love it" and I hate that! Why bother watching when you know the outcome?

Posts: 3 | Location: Washington State | Registered: Oct 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJBurr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mainer62:
Absolutely sick to death of seeing this show listed everytime I switch to HGTV. I used to watch this channel almost exclusively because there was such a good variety of fun, creative and interesting shows. You've become boring, repetitive and not so fun anymore. Friday and Saturday nights, with a good variety of half hour shows, were a real treat. Now it's just constant reruns of the most annoying shows and most unappealing hosts on tv. No more Love it or List it, a LOT less Property Brothers... let's get back to what we loved in the beginning: choices, variety, hosts we want to watch and learn from. Stop showing huge blocks of shows - what a cheesy and cheap way to fill a schedule.

Now it's 99% "Love it" and I hate that! Why bother watching when you know the outcome is always the same?

Posts: 3 | Location: Washington State | Registered: Oct 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am amazed to read all these comments about how people hate this show and want to see it cancelled. If you don't like the show, they why are you watching it? Turn the Channel! And for the comments about finding all the problems in every home, well, old homes tend to have problems. I'd be surprised to find one of these old houses that didn't have a problem. One thing I don't like though is when the builder on the show starts doing repairs to a house that has nothing to do with the remodel and insist that it has to be done, regardless of what Hilary's or the home ownders' position on conducting such repairs are. He act as if his mission is to fix every structural problem in a home during a remodel. A builder that's a bit less aggressive and confers with home owners before conducting such repairs would be nice, as it is the home owners' money after all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Stumpy1961,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What are you talking about? "Carpet Munching"? Just because someone lives a different life style than you doesn't make it a political statement. If you don't want to watch "that crap", turn the channel.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
< posted Nov 06, 2013 10:41 AM
I am amazed to read all these comments about how people hate this show and want to see it cancelled. If you don't like the show, they why are you watching it? Turn the Channel!>

I do turn the channel.... I can't watch this show. The point of griping about it, is they show this show for hours, hours that could have interesting programming. I used to turn on HGTV and could watch for hours, now I put it on and this dreck is on... if they cancel the show maybe there would be something good to watch,

posted Hide Post
I think you're missing the point!!! No one is watchin it! Just because people keep commenting against 'Love It Or List It' - does NOT mean people are watching it. What you're missing is that --- every time we tune into HGTV - there's Hillary arguing with homeowners again!! They play this show over FIFTY (50) TIMES A WEEK, but all the other designers are GONE!! Further, the homeowners are always yelling and displeased with Hillary. HGTV viewers do NOT like to see that kind of COMBAT on our favorite network. We turn to HGTV to GET AWAY from that kind of thing. Well, the network found out that just because they shove something down our throat 50 times a weel, does not mean we're going to like it more! HGTV viewers are also DEEPLY RESENTFUL of 'LIOLI' because ALL THE OTHER DESIGN SHOWS THAT WE LOVED SO MUCH ARE ALL GONE!! Now there's only "Hillary" arguing with people. It's ridiculous. HGTV believes that its loyal viewers are actually going to lay down and accept it. Well, I read an article the other day online that in the last year the network has LOST $200 million in advertising dollars because of their new program list -- WHICH IS OBVIOUSLY NOT WORKING!!!!!!! LOL. So you missed the point!! No one's watching this crappy show. It's just that every time we tune in ... Hillary's on.

posted Hide Post
Great post Skelly.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Lost 200 million dollars? Really!!!!! interesting, perhaps now they will bother to read this message board and see why. LOL

Posts: 5000 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree! Hilary and David are both so phony and irritating. Boring! Every show is the same. You can bet Hilary is going to encounter problems that will take more money which means she can't do what she promised. Any intelligent designer would allow for those possibilities. And the fake competition premise is silly.

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be kind of nice to have a show where the host(s)interact with the viewers. Maybe a show where they take viewers design questions and show solutions? At least it would be different every time and not the same old repetitive format.

Posts: 7 | Location: United States | Registered: Jan 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only shows I watch anymore are HH and HHI. I liked The Unsellables very much. But LIOLI, in my opinion, has run its course.

Posts: 1278 | Location: northwest NJ | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Run its course? This program should have never been done. What kind of an idiot is a person that goes and tries to do a renovation on TV and knows before hand that she won't be able to accomplish it, and let's the owner think that she can ? To me, this show borders on mental fraud. People are not stupid, don't they know that?

Posts: 5000 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please cancel or change actors. This gives reality a bad name. People would not talk with each other in this way in real life and keep working together.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What gets me beside the cheesy banter between the stars is they way owners blame Hilary for things that are wrong with THEIR houses!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by danna73:
I hate this show, it's SO OBVIOUSLY scripted. It's so annoying. ESPECIALLY the PHONY real estate agent and designer. The rude, annoying and phony actors do not make this show exciting and interesting, it only completely ruins the concept of the show and makes me wish it would get canceled ASAP!

HATE This show!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post