Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  I Like International House Hunters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Like International House Hunters Sign In/Join 
posted
I like to watch International House Hunters when I catch it playing. I enjoy seeing the culture and trends in other countries. I saw several episodes shot in France. Wow, the prices downtown are formidable. I gleaned a lot of information about the French lifestyle while watching it. Fun and Informative.

I do get a kick out of watching Love it or Leave it. I hope that's the show in which a designer shows how he can remake the old place versus a realtor who shows houses on the market.
I don't watch it a lot.

I also like the show, don't know the name of it, in which three designers do design boards. It's fun to watch the house change after one designer is chosen.

I can't pick a favorite other than International House Hunters.

I like the show in which the people pick a home for sale. They are given three choices. I would like to see a fourth choice but producers would need a longer show.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

Posts: 783 | Registered: Sep 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also enjoy HHI, but strongly dislike not LIOLI.

Posts: 2463 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also enjoy HHI. It's an armchair traveler's treat. I enjoy seeing different destinations and cultures. What you can get for your money abroad is interesting and informative.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Meischa and Karin123,

I wish they had a little job for us. Carrying the camera perhaps or bringing them lunch.

Hmmm....

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
We enjoy HHI also, like others mentioned - arm chair travel.

I do take exception with episodes like we saw last night from Australia.

1. I hope I don't offend folks oh here from Texas - we get it, you like things big and over sized. But do you have to keep telling the world? Plus, if anyone has noticed whenever Texans are on the show it makes a great drinking game - Take a shot each time one of the home buyers/renters says Texas. The person still standing at the end of 1/2 hour gets the prize!!!

2. I know they have already chosen their preferred property - but why show the absolutely perfect property within their stated price range and have them say no? If the producers must show a property that is not available (what kind of lazy production staff cannot find 2 additional properties is beyond me) either don't choose one completely furnished and lived in or at least don't show the closets with the owners clothes!

Fun and Info

Posts: 3517 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I like this show, because it provides me with the opportunity to see other places and their values. What I can't stand is some of the comments of these people, are they for real?

Posts: 5000 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Charming, I was working up a good outrage, but it petered out quickly.

I can think of 3 incidents in which I was on the road and heard someone talking loud and said to my traveling companion: "I'll bet they're from Texas". And I was right all the time.

Of course, I'm not talking about everyone from Texas (of course, right?). Here are the three clues: 1. Loud; 2. Despite being in an outdoorsy, National Park-type of environment, the woman will be plastered in makeup; 3. They'll always tell you they're from Texas.

Go ahead, fellow Texans. Yell at me. But deep down, you know it's true.

I enjoy seeing Europeans shop for homes. They're so much more reasonable and flexible.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: santa_fe,

Posts: 787 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's fun to travel but seeing the world is not an option for most people. So, International House Hunters in a treasure. --Like a travel guide. Other cities and cultures are so much fun to see and it's educational too.

posted Hide Post
I like this show too; it's fun to see the insides of houses around the world. I'm not big on the beach properties, but that's just me. I love the European properties.

What I find embarrassing is the stupid Americans who can't stop saying how much better it is here. Then why are you moving? You are in someone's homeland and you should be nice and polite about and not bragging about how much bigger the refrigerator is in the States. Who cares? You are going for the experience, right?

Why don't these people do some online research before they go? I just don't understand that.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Soosie:

Why don't these people do some online research before they go? I just don't understand that.

Or at least watch some old episodes of HHI. Big Grin

Fun and Info

Posts: 3517 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I am convinced that anything that they say is scripted for drama purposes, I hate to think that so many idiots are really moving to Europe or other places and giving Americans such a bad name.

Posts: 5000 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://www.google.com/url?q=ht...AhY5bQnJ8togmUflHkFQ

HH and HHI are fake. Just do a search, There are a slew of articles stating the obvious.

Posts: 26 | Registered: May 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:

... I hate to think that so many idiots are really moving to Europe or other places and giving Americans such a bad name.

I agree.

I also hate to think that people move and buy property in other countries without doing massive amounts of research.

I mean seriously,

...You didn't know that the rooms are considerably smaller in Asia or France or Italy - and that most Germans remove everything in the kitchen when they vacate a property????

Posts: 1026 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
i will have to admit that lately we see many Americans moving, renting and not buying. which makes a difference, still It whould behove the producers to produce a show showing the properties and muting the the individuals, I can do quite well without their comments.

posted Hide Post
I am out of the loop on this discussion because I haven't watched International House Hunters enough to comment on the prospective home owner's behavior. I have seen a few shows in which the home owners were assessing their needs. Didn't see anything off beat.

Ages ago, in high school, our musical group went to countries in Europe for an international competition (Austria for the contest). We visited Austria, Germany, Italy, Holland and Switzerland. We were told that our behavior should be classy because we were acting as Ambassadors for America. As an impressionable young person, I took that responsibility seriously.

Then, I accidentally turned out the lights on an Austrian or German in a hotel bathroom. Actually, I thought that I was getting back at my roommate who had turned out the lights on me at a critical point. The light switch was outside of the single bathroom.

I was flicking the switch back and forth rapidly. Then just as rapidly, I heard a deep angry female voice rumbling like a bear in a cave in a foreign language that I didn't speak. I thought of the ambassador situation so I was afraid to say "I'm sorry" in English. Instead, I stood there silently and came up with the lame idea to turn the switch one way to see if she hushed. She didn't. So I tried the opposite position. She still didn't hush. I tried it again. Dumb idea, that made her madder. So, I tiptoed down the hall and snuck back into my room to hide. Sheesh I was timid back then. I didn't want her to think that a mean American had done that.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Leafly,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:
Charming, I was working up a good outrage, but it petered out quickly.

I can think of 3 incidents in which I was on the road and heard someone talking loud and said to my traveling companion: "I'll bet they're from Texas". And I was right all the time.

Of course, I'm not talking about everyone from Texas (of course, right?). Here are the three clues: 1. Loud; 2. Despite being in an outdoorsy, National Park-type of environment, the woman will be plastered in makeup; 3. They'll always tell you they're from Texas.

Go ahead, fellow Texans. Yell at me. But deep down, you know it's true.

I enjoy seeing Europeans shop for homes. They're so much more reasonable and flexible.

Wow - I am sitting here wondering who it is you know that you think Texans are loud and the women wear a lot of makeup. Of the maybe 300 people (+/-) I know well here, there are maybe 2 that I think could be called "loud". The rest are polite, soft-spoken and quite classy. None of the women wear more than the normal amount of makeup. As for always telling you they're from Texas, yep we're proud of our state but I have to believe the script focuses in on the Texan connection because of the perception of Texas. We have manners, we're polite and I doubt you'd find people from Texas any more loud than say, those from NYC or Podunk, Iowa.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doodles64:Wow - I am sitting here wondering who it is you know that you think Texans are loud and the women wear a lot of makeup. Of the maybe 300 people (+/-) I know well here, there are maybe 2 that I think could be called "loud". The rest are polite, soft-spoken and quite classy. None of the women wear more than the normal amount of makeup. As for always telling you they're from Texas, yep we're proud of our state but I have to believe the script focuses in on the Texan connection because of the perception of Texas. We have manners, we're polite and I doubt you'd find people from Texas any more loud than say, those from NYC or Podunk, Iowa.

Big hair is also a hallmark of many southern women. Many from the Birmingham area have made it into a science.

There are regional differences even within a state in how people talk. My family came from the Southeastern part of NC - people talk low and slow. We moved to the north central part of the state when I was quite young. My poor mother thought everyone was yelling because they spoke so much more loudly than she was used to hearing.

Not quite sure of what Texas is so proud of, but that is a different topic, but try watching any show with folks from your state and see how often they will tell anyone willing to listen that they are from Texas. Then watch a few episodes with people from other states. Report back. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Fun and Info

Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I love this show too.I think I like it better than HH.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doodles and BabyDollBundy,

Nice to hear your comments. Thanks.