Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  6/9 - High-Low - Rustic Dining Room
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6/9 - High-Low - Rustic Dining Room Sign In/Join 
posted
Here we go again! Happy to see a dining room but not too sure how I feel about rustic. We'll see - keeping an open mind for the time being.

If you're interested in posting about the episode, please chime in. Otherwise, you can always start another thread with any general, negative, SS comments. Or, anything else, obviously -

As a favor to other posters, please remain on topic and be courteous. I apologize, BTW - I have no desire to play mod. Guess we all need a reminder, occasionally.

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend, all!

Posts: 591 | Registered: Feb 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, BB - thanks for the place saver.

Here we go again with the 1/2 hour Target commercial. Like you, I wasn't overjoyed at the rustic look of the dining room. It was nice that the Low End table was beefed up a bit - it looked nice even tho I can't imagine it being really functional IRL.

The mirror was a huge fail, IMO, as was the rug.

Perhaps the real reason I am starting to dislike this show is that they insult our intelligence by SS doing both high and low end. How convenient is that? Show us what you can do with a high end look from a magazine and then maybe we'll have a bit more reason to be impressed.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I preferred the low end dining table and bench to the high end. I'm starting to see what everyone else has already complained about with the 'Target' commercial. I thought better chairs could have been purchased at Overstock or another online outlet. Shopping at Target for the dining accessories is one thing but also using that as your online source? C'mon? I do an awful lot of online shopping and I know that lights could have been purchased that would have matched the high end a lot better. The low end Target chairs looked awful and will crack and tear in no time flat. I loved the candle stick project but I kept wondering how they were going to dispose of that big tub of water and oil based paint. I probably would have just spray painted them.

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I loved the candle stick project but I kept wondering how they were going to dispose of that big tub of water and oil based paint.

I wasn't sure what the big vat had in it, but had the same thought. Also how long would those twigs last. Would have dipped a few dozen more before disposing of the vat.

Posts: 222 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really liked the room. I think I would have gone for a slightly more subdued color on the wall, though. I was surprised at how well it worked with the high end rug- but after seeing the low end rug, I think that the color had been originally chosen to compliment the one that would be staying.

I was glad they spent a bit more time showing Chris building the table. I don't know that I will ever have the opportunity to build a big, rustic table. But if I do- I now have some ideas on how to do it!

I did like the rustic table, but I know it's not for everyone. My husband grew up on a farm and the "barn wood" look reminds him of, well... a barn! Complete with dust, dirt, and bird droppings. So eating off such a rustic table would not be his thing. (but I like it!)

I really don't mind the Target references. I understand why some people find it annoying, though. But, to be quite honest, although HLP may be more obvious that other shows, I've seen many that could have doubled for Ikea commercials or Pottery Barn commercials. (and who could forget the year that Design Star was really a Sears commercial?).... anyway, my point is that this is nothing new, and I have come to accept there will be a little Target in every episode (and some times a bit more than a little)

I also liked how they recreated the white built in look.

I'm enjoying this show more than most- and actually look forward to weekends on HGTV because I like the weekend shows best.

Posts: 6101 | Registered: Jul 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Saturday night line-up on HGTV. I DVR them all and then on Sunday mornings with a cup of coffee I get my fill.

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ilike Sabrina, I think she has a great personality. But, here it comes... everything on HGTV seems like a hoax to me. In this show Sabrina always uses "high end design" of such a popular and generic style that is easy to replicate cheaper.

The idea is nice as it is helpful to those on a budget, but it is another one of those "concept" shows that is so formulaic and preconcieved. It's like a glorified home shopping tutorial.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
Ilike Sabrina, I think she has a great personality. But, here it comes... everything on HGTV seems like a hoax to me. In this show Sabrina always uses "high end design" of such a popular and generic style that is easy to replicate cheaper.

The idea is nice as it is helpful to those on a budget, but it is another one of those "concept" shows that is so formulaic and preconcieved. It's like a glorified home shopping tutorial.

Not so glorified at times.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not so glorified shopping is correct, doodles! Personally, I have no need to watch someone selecting basic napkins or sheets at Tarjait. Wow, didn't expect my placeholder comment, posted long before finding the time to watch this episode, would be so prescient. Thought they'd wait at least an episode or two before returning to the well.

Unfortunately, however, I'm noticing more and more product placement on HGTV as I flip the channels. Almost every HGTV program seems to have multiple product placements from Home Goods to Osh (on DS, recently part of Sears) to Staples and every local, independent vendor inbetween. It's not enough that a 30 minute episode is now approximately 22 minutes - it feels as if they add another 5 minutes of product placement.

So, I'm almost reaching acceptance. They've broken me down. Apparently if we want to watch design of any type - in any way, shape or form and good or bad skill-levels - that's what we must live with.

Finally had time to watch the episode. WRT the details, I did find the high-end choices basic and knew exactly how they'd replicate (supposedly) them. Although I already knew how to construct it, I was glad they devoted a few minutes to the table. (Personally, I would have alternated the wood tones and spent additional time sanding and finishing, if it were my project.)

BTW, that candlestick project was nutty. Just spray the darn things - but not until after they've dried out. (SS didn't mention that step - necessary, IMHO.)

Agree, doodles, SS missed on the mirror, too. If they truly had $200 leftover - why not keep the high-end? In fact, I thought I heard them say they wanted it. Or, use the $200 to purchase various types/alternating tones of reclaimed wood for the table and bench - something! (I'm sure they have the **$ totally budgeted/worked out in advance.)

The end result of Chris' table and bench were a little too rustic for my taste. If I had to retain Chris', I probably would place a custom-cut glass top over it. I could have handled the high-end, as-is.

In fact, have to say, this is one episode where I would have wanted pretty much all the major high-end items. (Don't care about the small items, e.g. the tabletop and accessories. I'd use my own.)

If I could only select 1 high-end item, I'd keep the rug. (Agree, TQ - might need to reconsider the paint color.) Greatly prefer the large, bold, graphic pattern to open up the room.

The Ikea modular units were o.k. but still preferred the Pottery Barn. Didn't really notice the Tgt console much until after seeing the episode. Curious so checked out the modular high-end info and happened to notice the online photo of that console - cheap, cheap, cheap - like Tgt chairs and furniture, in general.

Speaking of the accessories and tabletop items, I don't understand the need to purchase all of those items and perfectly match everything instead of simply shopping their home. (Yes, I understand SS is perfectly staging the dr for the camera.)

The last thing I'd want is those Tgt melamine plates and the other tabletop junk and accessories. If those were my f&f in the last shot at the table, I would have been telling them to avoid touching anything - in the hopes of returning all that to Tgt for credit. Well, I would try to trade-out everything, starting with the rug.

My favorite line of the night (although I felt for the dh): Oh, we can fit at least 10 of my family on that bench but only 2 of his! He was a naturally big guy and probably normal weight range, after eliminating the camera's extra pounds. He didn't respond but did seem to clam up (in general) after that. Probably good strategy on his part - let the dw have her dining room.

All of the above, JMHO.

Keeping an open mind for the next episode...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bballdays,

Posts: 591 | Registered: Feb 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really liked the curtains and table napkins in this episode. I've googled every website and cannot find them anywhere! Any ideas?? I saw the same curtains on a new upcoming show, Renovation Raiders. It's like they're haunting me! Wink

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post