Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Dear Producers of Love it or List It
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dear Producers of Love it or List It Sign In/Join 
posted
For the love of all that is holy in the world, PLEASE stop insulting our intelligence. I really get it. You want to be like Bravo and have The Real House Hunters of Canada. Drama sells. I get it, I get it. But come on! I really love Hilary's designs, I love the concept of seeing the process throughout the show but it's sooooooooooooo completely offensive to my very being that I can't stand it. You expect us to believe that you have a couple come on the show and you've not inspected the house first to see what sort of structural, electrical, plumbing, zoning issues exist in the house beforehand? Everything is so scripted and stupid. EVERY couple says the same thing. EVERY show is the same. I either watch the show on demand so I can fast forward through the fake drama or if I watch it on regular TV, I mute it.

You want me to be a producer on the show? Here's every single solitary episode summarize with no variation: One spouse has an emotional attachment to the house. The other is apparently soulless because they couldn't give a good hot da mm about emotional attachment to the house. No, that's not faked at all. The list of what they want in their new house is always the same: more bedrooms, another bathroom, an open kitchen, and a finished basement. The needs for their new house? It has to be in the same neighborhood, open concept, move-in ready, an office, a space for the in-laws, and a bedroom for every child. Before construction starts on the old house, shock of all shocks, there are structural/water damage/electrical issues that no one could have foreseen at all. Nope, it’s a total shocker. The first house David shows is always, I’m sorry ALWAYS the house that doesn’t meet any of the couple’s criteria. “I don’t know what David was thinking. That house doesn’t meet our needs.” Back at the old house, Hilary is diligently figuring out how to make her $50,000 budget work. (Here’s a hint: Don’t buy furniture out of your budget, use the couple’s furniture if they want to love it so dag on much) The wife, who is always the word that rhymes with witch, complains that Hilary is disappointing her and goes on an irrational rampage and demands even more than originally requested. Oddly enough, not one homeowner is ever polite, understanding, or conciliatory. OK, stupid people will fall for that. Second house, meets some of the criteria but not all and the spouse who wants to move is ready to jump. The third house is always perfect . . . and over budget. And then, comes the moment that everyone is waiting for . . . . the final decision. The tension. The drama. Ohhhh, I’m sitting on the edge of my seat. “We’re going to ..........turn the channel and watch something else because it’s so fake and stupid.

Seriously, what would it take for the executives at HGTV to get that their viewers are not imbeciles? Is that too much to ask?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AfroerotiK,

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even worse is that we are expected to accept that otherwise sane people would sink $50,000 into making "personalized" changes to a house they may be selling with no apparent thought as to whether these "improvements" will help sell the house. Why not use the money as a down payment on the new house?

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
Even worse is that we are expected to accept that otherwise sane people would sink $50,000 into making "personalized" changes to a house they may be selling with no apparent thought as to whether these "improvements" will help sell the house. Why not use the money as a down payment on the new house?

I used to think that too but there has never been an episode where the homeowners did not get their full investment back in the new higher value of their home after the improvements. The concept does work because it gives the homeowner the option to either like the new improved version with only having to deal with all the ups and downs of the renovation and if they don't, they will have a home that is worth more now and can put that extra value into a new place.

I know the whole show is scripted but I do enjoy watching it. The bickering between homeowners, David, and Hilary can be entertaining. BUT, I do still miss the old HGTV when they had better home improvement shows -- straight to the point design.

Posts: 716 | Registered: Apr 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I not sure that I agree that when they finish the update and they put a new value on the house, there is a guarantee that they would sell for full price. They should know, because they always offer quite low offers when they try to buy, so what is the guarantee that other buyers are not going to do the same.

Posts: 4901 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's true, there is no guarantee on home prices. But when David shows them a home over their budget, he also mentions they could possibly get it at a lower price. So yes, they may not get the "new" value on their existing home but the new house they buy may also not sell at "asking" price either. But normally, the new value on the existing home is more than just the amount the homeowner invests. So even if the house sells for a price that includes their investment and no more, if someone loves the home enough to want to stay, I think it would be worth the risk. No matter what, you are fixing up your present home to get a higher price when you sell.

posted Hide Post
In my general area you can only expect a 68% return on a major kitchen remodel. That might be okay if I were doing it for myself and planned on staying in the house. It would be sheer lunacy to spend that kind of money on a house I only "might" be keeping. My mother's boss is a real estate guru and his rule is "sell as is" at all times.

Posts: 3234 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: Jan 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
@AfroerotiK,

Great post. So many on these boards agree with you about this horrible show. It is sad to see that HGTV doesn't care.

Posts: 147 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sms29s66:
In my general area you can only expect a 68% return on a major kitchen remodel. That might be okay if I were doing it for myself and planned on staying in the house. It would be sheer lunacy to spend that kind of money on a house I only "might" be keeping. My mother's boss is a real estate guru and his rule is "sell as is" at all times.

That's an interesting rule about selling "as is". Many people want a house that is in "move in ready" condition. What it comes down to is a person's personal preference. Some people want to renovate a home to their specifications and others want their new home to be perfect when they purchase it.

posted Hide Post
I think his reasoning is that it doesn't make sense to pour $10,000 into a house only to get $6,000 back. Sell it for what you can get and let the buyer pour his own money into it. Anyone who wants their new house to be "perfect" should be looking into building according to their own needs.

posted Hide Post
Maybe it would make sense if you were only renovating one room. But in the case of LIOLI, the homeowners are doing most (but never all)the renovations they want done to turn their home into a place they might consider staying. That's the whole premise of the show. So apparently one of the owners is willing to sink big bucks into the home in hopes they will like it enough to stay.

Even shows like Income Property with Scott McGillivray always give us "figures" but how do we ever know if they "really" get the big buck return that is listed at the end of the show? It's television.

posted Hide Post
I know that it is scripted, but I still like the show. I prefer it to the Vancouver pair and anything is better than house hunters.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Sep 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are not idiots or we wouldn't be watching HGTV. But you sure are insulting our intelligence with your boring, predictable LILI. It is about the only HGTV show that I don't tape...it would be just a waste of time. Please take this off the air and put some decorating shows back on.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jul 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
It is a pity that the first poster doesn't copy his post and really put that post where it should be at the LOLI program comments on the website instead of on this message board that no one reads but us.
Yes, the program presmise is dismal. and it does insult everyone's intelligence. If they would go back to design and the programs that made them great, they wouldn't have so many disgrunteled viewers.

Posts: 4901 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
We've all heard that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

People keep watching this show over and over again, despite pretty much knowing what will happen next. And yet they seem to expect the show to change.

Why change a formula that works? It's easy and people keep tuning in. Why should they spend money to retool a show that people continue to watch?

Posts: 775 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
I watched it twice, then realized that it's the same show, but with different "couples," so I haven't watched it since it first aired.

I can't believe it's still on!!! Frown

Posts: 1025 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why you believe you need three new people. David and Hillarys' group are great there isn't need for three others.

Posts: 9 | Location: Wanted to comment on shows | Registered: Aug 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I truly dislike this show for many of the reasons the OP listed.

I've pretty much lost interest in HGTV since they took off all the design programs. There are a few exceptions - but very very few and I cannot think of one show they have on that I care about enough to care if I miss it.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post