Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Problems at HGTV?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problems at HGTV? Sign In/Join 
posted
What is going on at the network? Are there money are legal problems? Where are all of your shows? Where are Candice and David and Sarah and the rest? As it stands, it seems like you only have four left all about buying and selling houses. How many times can you show Love It or List It?

It's clear from this message board and your Facebook page that viewers are dissatisfied. But it's getting worse.

If LIOLI is doing well, it's only because it's literally all that is on for an entire day and every night.

And this is coming from someone who's right in the sweet spot of your target demographic. In a world of 500 channels, it's not hard to lose viewers.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Apr 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Teva
posted Hide Post
I think the problem with HGTV is they are spending an astronomical amount of money for those Dream Homes that they give away. It is really nice but we viewers are the losers. Like all businesses there is just so much money to go around. Stop and think the lack of good shows started when they started building those homes. If they are doing it for tax purposes then go back into the business of production of good educational shows for us viewers out here who salivating for professional decorators doing great rooms we can learn from.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Jul 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JuliannaD:
What is going on at the network? Are there money are legal problems? Where are all of your shows? Where are Candice and David and Sarah and the rest? As it stands, it seems like you only have four left all about buying and selling houses. How many times can you show Love It or List It?
It's clear from this message board and your Facebook page that viewers are dissatisfied. But it's getting worse.

If LIOLI is doing well, it's only because it's literally all that is on for an entire day and every night.

And this is coming from someone who's right in the sweet spot of your target demographic. In a world of 500 channels, it's not hard to lose viewers.

I only found out yesterday that Candance,Sandra etc..... are being shown in Canada on the W channel
guess its our loss and their gain,wish I could get the W channel on TWC

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
I believe Candice's show is produced in Canada. HGTV US only buys the rights to show it. If there are new programs being made I suspect they'll wind up on HGTV at some point in the future.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6865 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if HGTV's capital investments in the new home furnishings and paint lines and the magazine have forced drastic (and potentially fatal) cutbacks in network programming. I would say that 80% of the time when I tune into HGTV, House Hunters is on (cheap, cheap, cheap to produce); then you have Love It or List It; next are Drew and Jonathan Scott shows. I was so happy to find Flea market Flip only to see rerun after rerun. This is such a shame. It used to be a great network and it's just horrible now. Something is very, very wrong at this network.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KansasGirl821:
I wonder if HGTV's capital investments in the new home furnishings and paint lines and the magazine have forced drastic (and potentially fatal) cutbacks in network programming. I would say that 80% of the time when I tune into HGTV, House Hunters is on (cheap, cheap, cheap to produce); then you have Love It or List It; next are Drew and Jonathan Scott shows. I was so happy to find Flea market Flip only to see rerun after rerun. This is such a shame. It used to be a great network and it's just horrible now. Something is very, very wrong at this network.

I suspect most of the prizes like the Dream House and Smart Home are covered by the sponsors not HGTV. True it does take money away from HGTV that might have come in the way of advertising to put towards other shows. Keep in mind even when HGTV had a lot of original content most of it wasn't actually produced by them but by other production companies and sold to HGTV. Agree that House Hunters has to be incredibly cheap to produce. They can contract with a local real estate agent and a local film crew to follow the buyer around following a set script, then send the raw tape back to the production company and have them assemble it and have the "talent" do the voice overs. Wet, lather, rinse, repeat. All of these shows would be fine in small doses, the problem is they run marathons of all of them. Very little new content. I suspect this has a lot to do with the sheer number of channels available which is reducing the number of eyeballs available for each channel so ad rates are going down. With fewer dollars coming in they can't afford more new content, less new content means fewer viewers and the spiral to the drain begins.

I suspect at some point TV channels and CATV are going to have to change the model. What worked in the 1960's with 3 commercial networks doesn't work with hundreds of channels.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6865 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
Sparky is right HGTV has to pay for the privilige of airing these shows
makes me wonder?
WHAT does HGTv really own?
HH and HHi are Lepord films so whats the scope on whats in order for HGTV except for Design star and some others?
just curious

heres a line up of WTV

LOVE IT OR LIST IT

NEW EPISODES MONDAYS AT 10PM E/P

The wait is over! Two of your favourite W Network stars – Hilary Farr and David Visentin – are back with brand-new Love It or List It episodes. Next Monday, watch as Oliver tries to make Melissa love the house he bought without showing her, while she argues that it no longer functions. Can Hilary open Melissa's eyes to its potential? Or will David show Oliver something that will make him see the light - in a new house?

THE CLOSER
FRIDAY AT 8PM E/P

Each week, we watch in anticipation as Deputy Chief Brenda Leigh Johnson (Kyra Sedgwick) tries to close yet another complicated case with her offbeat personality and tough-as-nails approach on The Closer. This Friday, the LAPD's police commissioner (Mark Moses) and his wife (Elizabeth Perkins) may be in trouble. Will Brenda uncover all the facts about a scandal one of them tried to cover up?

W MOVIE: THE QUEEN

PREMIERES SUNDAY AT 6PM E/P

The Queen chronicles life for the Royal Family after the car crash that killed Princess Diana, the beloved "people's princess." Amid family infighting, Queen Elizabeth II (Helen Mirren) struggles with how to publicly address her passing. On one hand there are Diana's children; on the other, her messy divorce from Prince Charles (Alex Jennings). Will The Queen get it right or will the much-criticized monarchy have a PR crisis on their hands?

7:30PM E/P
Candice Tells All

7:00PM E/P
Property Brothers

7:00pM E/P
Love It or List It

4:30PM E/P
Walking the Halls

1:30PM E/P
Come Dine With Me Canada

7:00PM E/P
Majumder Manor

My House, Your Money

8:00PM E/P
Love It or List It

9:00PM E/P
Undercover Boss
Canada

The Closer

6:30PM E/P
13 Going on 30

6:00PM E/P
The Queen

Come Dine With Me Canada

Property Brothers

10:00PM E/P
Come Date With Me

11:00PM E/P
Love It or List It Vancouver

Marley and Me

Easy A

Love It or List It

Love It or List It

All rights reserved

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
I think it's obvious that HGTV is finding the axis between the least amount of dollar output for the most ratings. It's about bang for their buck, and that doesn't include employing designers or spending money on design makeovers, despite what the fans want.

Why spend all that money for "meh" ratings when they can spend very little and have better ratings on shows like LIOLI? That's the issue as far as I can see.

Posts: 2145 | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very little new content. I suspect this has a lot to do with the sheer number of channels available which is reducing the number of eyeballs available for each channel so ad rates are going down. With fewer dollars coming in they can't afford more new content, less new content means fewer viewers and the spiral to the drain begins.

I agree with you, which is why it's more profitable for them to run lower budget shows like HH and LIOLI than to make design shows. It's a sad situation because the fans obviously want the design shows. We all suffer for this situation. I agree with you also that they are going to have to rethink the model because the old one isn't working with 100's of channels and the internet as competition.

Posts: 2145 | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post