Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Love it or List it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love it or List it Sign In/Join 
posted
---This is DEFINITELY the BEST show on HGTV---hands down. Why? The hosts (David and Hilary) have EXCELLENT chemistry, their talent is well established and on display, and the shows (though of course following a certain "script"), do not have the "feel" of the hyper-rehearsed (and many times silly) "Property Brothers," or "House Hunters."

---David is my particular favorite. I LOVE his personality, sense of humor and wit. The entire ensemble (including regular workmen) make such an enjoyable "team" to watch. I am a university professor, and have little time for television---I will confess to having subscribed to DirecTV (after having no TV service for 5 years) SOLELY for the ability to see "LI or LI," after seeing an episode at my sister's house...I enjoy design, and to have new renovation/design ideas presented in such an enjoyable manner, by such an amusing pair, has been such a treat ----In a side note, the network might wish to consider increasing the salary of some of the show's regulars (I recently viewed an episode in which Desta--Hilary's assistant---confessed how low her salary was--inadvertently--when revealing her finances for a "makeover" on her home). I would hope the producers realize the success of this show hinges on the chemistry of the entire cast---and are careful to keep the cast intact....

---I hope this program remains on the air for a very long time---I find myself agreeing with another Hilary (Clinton) who recently named it her "favorite" show on TV.........

---In a side note, I can't, for the life of me, understand WHY "Love it or Leave it Too" is STILL being filmed---a more horrific contrast with the original series would be difficult to find...While the male realtor isn't bad, he is nowhere near as good as David. As for Jillian Harris....I feel she is just simply awful (and is the major "loose link" in the program). She has nowhere near Hilary's stature, has a very "rough" way of speaking, has no "sparkle," and is so small, she appears dwarfed by everyone around her. I watched 3 episodes of it---and turned it off 10 minutes into each, finding Ms. Harris just too grating to continue (I have heard the same comments about her and "LI or LI TOO" from many other people)....Just keep on making the original!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 19, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
this show drives me up the wall. enough already! it seems like its all the time,i change the channel.is this we got? what happen to show Candice? the show with with jamie gardens awsome. king of dirt.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a great example of taste being subjective. There have to be plenty of people watching this show or it wouldn't be on. I don't get it, I think everything about this show is awful. I'm only adding to this thread because my opinions are the polar opposite of the original poster, and their praise is cracking me up.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainbows
posted Hide Post
I became aware of this show when the hosts were guests on a talk show - and I do have a major problem of what do I do next with my townhouse - I added a powder room downstairs as I moved downstairs due to ski knee - I have no chest of drawers or shelves - but the location is no more than 30 minutes from everything I do. Friends and family want me to move - thinking at one time of new carpeting - dishwasher - but room - I sure wish I was one of those people who can find a space for anything -

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
With any renovation you will need either a good contractor or an architect to guide you and see that what you want can be done to begin with.
In a condo, I imagine the you can remove or put walls, but the square footage will remain the same.
Sometimes renovations don't make sense, they are costly, and that is money that you can use to buy a new condo or house.
Regarding Love it or List it, I find it that it insults my intelligence.
I actually wrote to HGTV asking if they were paying enough money to Hillary to appear stupid on national TV.
I realize that what we see, is not what it is on this program. First of all we are seeing the after and not what it was discuss before outside the program of what they would be able to do or not do.
So, just for that, it makes this program in my mind not credible.
And also the fact, that if they decide to list it. we really don't see the result.
Let's say they list it. how much money did they get for the house that they spent so much money renovating, and in reality which house if any did they buy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rker321,

Posts: 5010 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainbows
posted Hide Post
I was happy to have it open one door to the many questions I have in some decisions I will have to make.

Picture of rainbows
posted Hide Post
I was happy to have it open one door to the many questions I have in some decisions I will have to make.

Picture of rainbows
posted Hide Post
Not sure if message went out on my iPad mini. But I liked it because I do have decisions to make - and kind of gave me a refresher. I am not interested in all of that real estate end product but do I want to put more money into my place to rent out or just sell as is. Then where would I live. Daughters place is too far for me. I just retired so checking out any and every idea. Thanks for your response.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I am glad that I have contributed to you thinking and your decision, whichever it may be.
TV renovations are in many way not realistic. I know a contractor that always say, when you renovate always add to your budget at least 20% of what you thought you were going to spend. And I feel that is good advise, but renovate to sell, that to me, makes no sense at all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rker321,

Posts: 5010 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rainbows
posted Hide Post
I was desperate to get a small bathroom put in downstairs - it took two years - - what this man did in the storage room under under the stairs still is amazing. First of all we got a short fat water heater to fit in corner - I was a little disappointed when he did not extend the wall but how he fit the toilet into the wall is something that he studied and studied - and the one flat wall he painted a matte beautiful blue - oh if there was only room for a shower - - I even thought of a chair lift - so I am keeping my eyes open -

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I am glad that you have been able to have a solution but out of curiosity, why a water heater in that area,?

Picture of rainbows
posted Hide Post
The standard size water heater was in the storage room under the stairs - but when they added a sink, and commode, the water heater had to be pushed back as the ceiling under the stairs is slanted. never would have fit anything in without doing it. I had asked for a ADA commode - fine in height - but a small seat - GRR

posted Hide Post
I feel like I'm a crazy person, because I would never get angry at the hosts for structural or electrical issues or etc. The show has to be scripted unless every person they work with are unrealistic delusional babies!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I congratulate you on finally realizing that these shows are not real or even have the semblance of reality.
So sorry to disappoint you, but that is the way that they do many of their shows.

Picture of Julianna76
posted Hide Post
I understand Hillary's frustration when Furgus says, the house is falling down, or there is asbestos, or there is mold. People in Canada, I have 2 words for you, HOME INSPECTION! I would NEVER buy a home without one...ever. You want to Love It? Take care of it! How in the world does one get a loan with "asbestos" and "mold" in the house and the structure crumbling? In the US, especially a VA loan, you would be turned down flat. My neighbor bought a house many years ago, loved it, had to have it, when VA inspected it, it had knob and tube wiring, that was a NO GO. She didn't get the house and moved on. I don't buy a house with a fuse box either, if his has fuses, good-bye. Circuit breaker panel, I'm in.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Your frustration would be understood if you would only realize that nothing that you see on this program happens to be actually true. All of this is discussed prior to filming and prior to filming they have already planned and discussed what is going to be fixed in that house.

Picture of Julianna76
posted Hide Post
rker, I hear ya. However, I have to ask what the owners of the property have been doing since they "bought the house" however many years ago? Maintenance anyone? Do people just let their homes go to rot and hope Hillary and David will swoop in and rescue them? Did they know the foundation was crumbling and the roof trusses were rotting for the last 5, 7, 9 yrs they lived there? If Hillary and David came to the US they would find a whole different story. And with the budget Hillary has she could re-do the entire house and put in a pool and the homeowners would "definately" love it. Scripted or not, the homeowners on the show are about as sharp as a tack.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
This is the kind of program that actually asks more questions after you have answered all of them. LOL
I often wonder as to how many homeowners never pick up anything in their homes and the claim that they have run out of space.
Why does anyone that has a brain would actually put these enormous amounts of money in a house that they are planning on selling?
Doesn't HGTV pay enough salaries to these hosts so the they don't have to appear stupid on national TV?
Why the very non intelligent comments from the homeowners? I would really like to hear from Canadians regarding these programs. And what do they really think?
Doesn't anyone in that program ever consults an experience contractor? Again, more questions and more questions.

Picture of Teachtd78
posted Hide Post
Love this show but the people are so darn hard to please. If I had the choices that they are given, I'd be very appreciative.

Posts: 1 | Location: New York | Registered: Jun 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would somebody please deport this show back to Canada and say thanks but no thanks to anymore... and please in the name of all things HGTV cancel the awful American version and put it out of our misery.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never particularly liked this show or the American version. There's a nasty edge to the original and it seems quite formulaic. "oh sure I can re-do your house but oops there's a problem to two or three.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both programs are shot in Canada.

All the issues mentioned here, including the homeowner complaints, construction issues and cluttered homes are producer driven.

The outcome is predetermined. The homeowners know in advance which projects will be completed. Ever notice that the construction team magically only demos the rooms that ultimately are completed?

Production companies don't do surprises so the homes are inspected long before the hosts/actors set foot on the property.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to remind myself "this is tv". I'm not going to go on tv and have a fit that the furnace needs needs replaced. I'm counting myself lucky each year I don't have to replace my old furnace. How do people think they will be able to "list" a place and sell if there are such issues.

I do question some of Hilary's choices to spend money on. One time it was a sewing machine for the homeowners craft room. This week she replaced the washer and drier, when the ones they had already were clean and presumably still works.

Posts: 227 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
In view of the array of new shows that are done in the US and that tackle renovations Hasn't anyone notices how much they can do with so little money, when you compare them with Love it of List it and Property Brothers?
Either they have no idea as to what they are doing or, they really get ripped off in Canada.

posted Hide Post
Don't know about PB (currently) but the LIOLI costs are reasonable when you consider that Toronto's as expensive to live in as NYC or SF. Vancouver's even more expensive.

The construction labor rates would be extremely high - much higher than say TX, the location of the program "Fixer Upper" that appears to be getting a great deal of commentary on these boards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JanetB216:I'm not going to go on tv and have a fit

The LIOLI participants don't have "fits", either. They have whatever reaction or drama the producers instruct them to have.

QUOTE: How do people think they will be able to "list" a place and sell if there are such issues.

They know in advance that they're not listing their home. They've signed up for their 15 minutes of fame plus a discount reno. (They don't pay the full quoted costs, BTW.)

QUOTE: I do question some of Hilary's choices to spend money on.

They're not "Hilary's choices". The homeowners make the choices behind the scenes, away from the cameras.

QUOTE: she replaced the washer and drier, when the ones they had already were clean and presumably still works.

Any w/d can be "clean". How do you know they still worked? Again, the homeowners, i.e. not Hilary, make these choices in advance, off-camera.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

posted Hide Post
I absolutely loathe this show. It is on constantly. Predictable in that we always know that hidden problems will appear that make what the consumer wants impossible.

It is so bad lately, meaning repeats constantly sometimes several times a day, that I change the channel immediately.

Programs on HGTV used to be varied and fun to watch. The people in the show and show itself are impossible to watch.

Would like to see new shows and more creativity but it appears that HGTV has now become a ho-hum pattern.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MattM.
posted Hide Post
---In a side note, I can't, for the life of me, understand WHY "Love it or Leave it Too" is STILL being filmed---a more horrific contrast with the original series would be difficult to find...

THIS ABOVE QUOTE IS HILARIOUS IN THAT THE SHOW BEING CRITICIZED ISN'T EVEN SPELLED AND THEREBY NAMED CORRECTLY. HE/SHE WROTE "LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT" WHEN THE SHOW IS CALLED "LOVE IT OR LIST IT TOO." AH, THE IRONY OF LIFE SOMETIMES....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MattM.,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post