Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Fixer Upper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fixer Upper Sign In/Join 
posted
This is one of the best shows HGTV has ever come up with ! I so love it. The Gaines are very talented people ! Please keep it going.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Jul 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
so love this new show too

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am probably alone on not liking some aspects of the show. I prefer for these shows to focus more on the properties as opposed to the personalities of the hosts. That to me is the core issue with HGTV these days.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have watched the show a few times and while the hosts seem pleasant the end result looks amazingly similar every show. I'm not a big fan of the shabby chic look.

This show has drawn several comments from "newly registered members" which pretty much means friends and family are trying to help.Shhh

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shaunro,

Posts: 211 | Registered: Apr 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this show and Chip and Johanna- they are the cutest couple ever! However, I do think the show could be improved by increasing the variety of styles shown in the end products. The houses, while beautiful to be sure, do kind of all seem to reflect J's personal style and look rather similar-esp the paint colors. Finding a way to pull in each home owner's design preference could add to the variety and increase the show's appeal.

Posts: 1 | Location: Virginia Beach | Registered: Jul 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I believe that all of these houses are done in Texas, wouldn't there be a style that predominates in the area?
I still love this show mainly for what they can do as far as the cost of their renovations. I can't help in comparing them with Property Brothers and Love it or List it.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like this show and it's probably one of the only HGTV shows where I actually watch the entire episode. Property Brothers, I usually skip to the last 30 minutes after they've chosen the house and then get into the reno. My only complaint is some of the costs I've seen on Fixer Upper. On one episode they were changing the kitchen counter outlets over to GFI and said it was going to cost an extra $800. What?? My husband was watching the episode with me and he nearly spit out his food. I can only think that the estimates are padded to add in the furnishings of the homes with the cost of the renovations because they don't show you the breakdown and they do all the furnishings too. I absolutely looooove what they do and how they bring back these old homes and restore them to such a beautiful state. I would love it if they did a book on their reno's. That one house they did for the missionary couple that looked so tiny came out so amazing, I wanted to live in it! They prove that you don't need to buy these grand homes to have the most beautiful space.

Posts: 87 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So the reno budget covers the cost of the furnishings,too? I wondered about that, since the furnishings aren't usually mentioned on the episodes I've seen - unless it's something that Joanna is having custom built. The furniture always appears to be new, but I wasn't sure if the homeowners gave Joanna a separate decorating budget.

Posts: 361 | Location: SoCal | Registered: Mar 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hannasmom:
This is one of the best shows HGTV has ever come up with ! I so love it. The Gaines are very talented people ! Please keep it going.

LOVE IT!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hannasmom:

I too so enjoy this new show but they are running re-runs ALREADY. What is going on HGTV?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Aug 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Teva
posted Hide Post
To all the fans of the Chip and Joanna show, they are going to be on the TODAY SHOW JULY 31, AT 8:40 A.M. CENTRAL STANDARD TIME. Can't wait.
They must be well liked by a lotta people to make Today.

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jul 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Teva
posted Hide Post
Also to the above person who is afraid they are leaving because of re-runs.They are filming next years shows in August. Hooray!

Posts: 135 | Registered: Jul 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I really like this show, but somewhat disappointed about the furnishings. Are they included in the cost of renovating? if so, why?
don't the people have their own furniture?
If it is a matter of staging the property so that it looks really nice because the furniture that the owners have are really bad. Why not rent the furniture? but including the furniture in the cost or renovation is terrible for anyone that is looking at a loan which include for the next 15-30 years, paying for the sofa.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I really like this show, but somewhat disappointed about the furnishings. Are they included in the cost of renovating? if so, why?
don't the people have their own furniture?

That's something I'd like to know, too.

You're 100% right, rker321, about not including the cost of the furniture in a reno loan. I also wouldn't want to give someone else free rein in selecting my furnishings. (Read "someone" as Jonathan or Drew, more than Joanna.) Guide me in my shopping? OK. Surprise me when spending my money? No thanks.

At least with Flip or Flop, we know it's staged for selling AND they tell us how much the staging cost.

Posts: 361 | Location: SoCal | Registered: Mar 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really love this new show and Chip and Joanna are really talented and remodel and decorate the houses beautifully. I am a little disappointed that they only show you a partial amount of a rehab. I just watched the one that was $100,000 remodel and they only showed us the living room, dining room and kitchen. This house was completely gutted and that are the only rooms that they rehabbed. Really? What about the rest of the house? I really wanted to see the bedrooms and the bathrooms. Did they rehab those rooms or where they left up to the homeowners? I've noticed this on a couple other shows that they only show you three or four areas and I feel like I'm getting short changed. Please HGTV find a way to show us the rest of the rehab cause this show is great and the host do really awesome work. Anyone else feel the same way?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 07, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really liked this show when I first started to watch it, it seemed refreshingly different, and the designs very tasteful.

However, after watching many of their episodes, it has become repetitive. Johanna decorates according to her own taste, and every single home, no matter who the client, always has soft colors, a pale palette, a HUGE wall clock, and letters on the wall. Every. Single. House.

Save the Earth, it is the only planet with CHOCOLATE!

Posts: 136 | Location: Texarkana | Registered: Jun 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this show and hope it's one that continues. One thing I like is that is more realistic as far as budgets go, than some other shows like "Property Brothers". For a couple to have $150,000 to spend on a home is much more in keeping with the area of the country that I live in (the Midwest) and I like to watch what can be done with that amount of money. Most of the shows on HGTV are fun to watch, but so repetitive...such as Love it or List It, where Hilary runs into a huge unexpected problem and the homeowners are upset, while David shows three homes, the third always being the perfect one. I still watch them, as I love seeing a good remodel, but Fixer Upper is refreshing as there isn't the drama and I love the outcome. The shabby chic look may not be for everyone, but it does fit the character of the homes and I happen to be a fan of Joanna and her family. I hope the show gets renewed for several seasons!

Posts: 2 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: Aug 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this show. I watch episodes several times. Chip and Joanna are exceptional at renovating as well as treating their customers and each other which such respect. I wish I lived in Texas to buy a house with them. HGTV keep this show going.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't wait for the new season

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post