Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Negativity on the boards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Negativity on the boards Sign In/Join 
posted
I know that everyone has a right to their opinion but I can't believe all this negativity toward the shows. I haven't been on the board for awhile due to being turned off by the negativity and I doubt if I will be coming back on anytime soon. I thought I would see some positive comments but nothing has changed. Sad.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
Too much fussing over scripted, rehearshed tv programs,
these hosts are just doing a job,and trying to entertain us, and its not their fault,its the network we should be fussing at LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
The few shows on HGTV that are not all about the drama are shown at odd hours with little or no advertising so most of the discussions naturally vere towards the shows that are on all the time ad infinitum. And as CC-IMO explained they are all about the drama, not good decorating or good design, or anything that offers value to the viewer.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
When I started watching HGTV there was a daytime lineup and a lineup of new episodes for each evening of the week. They even had a monthly magazine with a listing of every show and episode.

One by one all of the great shows disappeared. Some of the new shows were good but not the quality of the past but they too disappeared.

We have now reached PB/LIOLI reruns 24/7 with no new shows and no schedule. On the rare occassion that a new show is added it is next to impossible to find and soon disappears. Latest example is "Shop This Room".

I long ago accepted the fact that the HGTV of the past is gone and was relaced by a H&G version of "TV Land", all reruns all the time.

I enjoy watching some of my old favorites on TV Land and I think HGTV viewers will be much less negative when they accept the fact that it is now a place to go for reruns also.

"NO EXPECTATIONS - NO DISAPPOINTMENTS"

Posts: 7979 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the negativity comes from disappointment and frustration. The new HGTV format does not offer the same type of programming. It may be that the new "faux reality" format appeals to a larger audience, and us older (as in long time) viewers are in the minority.

In the entertainment industry change is not always the most successful route, as seen in countless old TV shows being turned into movies and plays.

Complaining may not change the situation, but where else but on the stations own fan forum would one voice their opinion?

Posts: 1775 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Complaining may not change the situation, but where else but on the stations own fan forum would one voice their opinion?

Very true!!

Posts: 7979 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
It may be that the new "faux reality" format appeals to a larger audience, and us older (as in long time) viewers are in the minority.

This is it in a nutshell. It's a whole new audience out there, and the demographics that HGTV pursues (which are significant, whether anyone chooses to believe it or not) account for the change in programming formats. HGTV is far from alone -- all major cable TV and broadcast networks are doing the same thing; some do it better than others.

As I have stated here ad nauseam, the strong opinions posted here are not reflective of the entire universe of HGTV viewers, just the vocal minority who are having difficulty adjusting to -- or accepting -- the way TV programming has changed. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Posts: 5247 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
I heard the last few years through the grape vine;
that
HGTV was trying to get to the younger audiences
WTH??

"IF" HGTV was like TV Land at least the younger viewers would get a glimpse of what a real HGTV WAS all about?

so where are all our "OLD" reruns from HGTV's real days of glory??
JIMO LOL

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
BTW:

does anyone high up ever check these boards for our opinions at ALL???
Just wondering

Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
I liked when HGTV was more design focused.Now it seems to be all real estate.Rather boring programming.I rarely watch HGTV anymore.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ntuitive1
posted Hide Post
Lest anyone think the complaining is reserved to just a few of us "cranks" here on this board, take a look at this thread that's already 2 years old and ten pages long complaining about the very same things:

http://www.datalounge.com/cgi-...showThread,9849833,1

So it looks like the "negativity" is justified and therefore people who are upset about this situation should not be told to go away.

Posts: 2145 | Registered: Aug 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CC-IMO:
BTW:

Just wondering

No, no they don't. If you mean HGTV.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6931 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CC-IMO:
BTW:

Just wondering

No, not only does no one associated with HGTV view the boards, they no longer actively monitor them for abuse of the rules either.

We have posted alerts to the moderators on other topics many many times and the abusing posts are no longer removed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Posts: 3445 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Day after day, hour after hour of having the lame Property Brothers shoved down viewers' throats? Endless marathons of House Hunters? Whiny couples on real estate shows? WHO CARES? I click on my DISH viewing guide to see what's coming up on HGTV, and it's more, more, and more of the same. I've given up. Just came to the boards to see if anyone else feels the same.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
*Sigh* Frown

There was a time when watching HGTV was my one guilty indulgence - I looked forward to watching it EVERY evening after dinner and before bedtime....

...Now, I just turn to another channel (Bravo or TLC) and watch some of the silliness that they carry.

I keep popping back on the boards to see if anything "new" is coming, only to find the same old, same old.

Oh well, I guess all good things must come to an end (?)

*Sigh* Frown

Posts: 1026 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hollydayzd
posted Hide Post
I gave up on actually learning anything on HGTV years ago. I come to the boards to read threads from others about home solutions & learn much more from other viewers than anything on HGTV nowadays. Thanks, y'all!

~~~~~
"When you're going through hell, keep going."
--- Winston Churchill
~~~~~

Posts: 80 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: Jan 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chexmex49
posted Hide Post
No need to be so glum. HGTV has changed...and there are shows I miss... Designing for the sexes, Deserving Design, the storage organizer show...forgot the name right now.... but I do like Love it and List it. Think the drama is fun...and the reveals are worth it. I also place bets on who is going to be the most outrageous on that episode.

Anyways... wish they would mix it up a bit and not show 3 in a row of any show....its overkill.

Posts: 3 | Location: NWI | Registered: Dec 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
ok enough of negativity LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

posted Hide Post
Sadly, I see I wasn't the only one who enjoyed having HGTV on all the time until they quit putting on any actual "design" shows. Was considering canceling cable subscription. Seeing the lack of any response from the network, makes the decision. Unfortunate.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been watching hgtv for a long time and understand they need commercials to pay the bills but noticed with a timer that some of the actual half hour shows you get maybe 15 minutes of the real show and sometimes they repeat parts of the show to let you know whats going on because you end up loosing track of whats going on .I think that is common these days on all the channels on tv .Geeze I remember when tv ended at midnight and you got the flag and the national anthem .Geeze making myself sound old as the hills .LOL

Posts: 531 | Registered: Jul 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about the frustration part of HGTV. I used to LOVE HGTV. I got so much out of it. Now, it seems every time I turn on the tv it's House Hunters, Love It or List It, or something like that. I enjoy seeing what people do to their homes with decorating, etc. Some of my favorites used to be Trading Spaces, Design Cents (w/Joy), Divine Design (just because I loved her designs), Design on a Dime, Color Splash. Maybe I'm just not watching at the right time of day, but I am a stay-at-home mom and every time I look to see what's on - that's it. I get tired of watching the same things, much less marathons of shows. Anyway, I just miss it.

Posts: 766 | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for all the opinions, folks. I guess every network goes through this. And yes, HGTV has a bad habit of going to the well too often. A steady diet of any one thing is bad. Moderation is the key!

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this message board!

Posts: 13 | Registered: May 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
I LOVE HGTV and DIY, too. We no longer have cable and I miss, miss, Miss NOT having them. I'm very thankful to have the internet to see even the short videos to see some of the shows this way.

Having the boards and sites, DO help. I read what SCRIPPS is going through with all the changes of the viewers. For those complaining, I wish you would read this....NOT an easy read if you don't like the "business" side of programming. However, I think the company IS doing the best with the changes that is taking place. There are always reasons for changes.

We have been blessed to have such creative shows produced by this network.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trish212,

Posts: 5138 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
I heard that some time ago that if someone posted a negative comments too many times they were banned,after all that I should be surprised there still is a message board at all LOL

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
The negativity in this message board comes from the fact that HGTV has forgotten who their audience is. Please, don't tell me that this new generation wants to see Love it or List it a million times or Property Brothers, or House Hunters another million of times. I wouldn't mind seeing new programs, and I mean new programs that could appeal to any type of viewer, but HGTV had officially decline to produce shows, and simply repeat over and over those shows that they think appeal to all.

Posts: 4987 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
There were a couple new shows on last night, but I didn't care for either of them. One was about moving and flipping houses in Texas and it involved auctioning the houses. The other show was about House Hunters and where they are now. The shows were still about buying and selling real estate.

Anyone else see these shows?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is why we're seeing what we see on hgtv, in a nutshell:

http://www.scrippsnetworksinte...-consecutive-season/

Posts: 876 | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess that we are here in the minority, or they buy their ratings? Very difficult for me that the affluent women in the US are this stupid. but, perhaps I am wrong.

Posts: 4987 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I think what some of us forget is that the comments posted here represent a vast MINORITY of viewers, not the majority of viewers.

Probably fewer than 10 percent of any kind of audience bothers to post on fan sites (like the HGTV message boards)or call talk radio or write letters to the editors.

It is not surprising that HGTV viewers fit the upscale female 25-49 demographic because that is the group the programming has been designed to reach. Among certain advertisers that demographic is extremely important.

Why should anyone consider them "stupid" for watching HGTV? The same could be said about someone posting on an HGTV message board.

Plus, we cannot possible speculate how much time one of these viewers actually spends watching HGTV; it could only be once a week on one particular show. But if that one show at a particular time is on their Nielsen meter, that is what counts. And, believe me, if they stop watching HGTV, it will show up on the ratings.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I fully understand that we here happen to be in the minority. But what I cannot understand is, that upscale 25-49 women all watching these specific shows, Love it or List it, Property Brothers, etc. House Hunters over and over again several times a week without not being able to see anything else, And providing HGTV with the rating that they say they have. Calling them stupid, perhaps is not the word, but they must see what we have seen here also. so, what's the game here. they like these shows so much that they don't need the variety? and watch them over and over again?

Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rker321:
I fully understand that we here happen to be in the minority. But what I cannot understand is, that upscale 25-49 women all watching these specific shows, Love it or List it, Property Brothers, etc. House Hunters over and over again several times a week without not being able to see anything else, And providing HGTV with the rating that they say they have. Calling them stupid, perhaps is not the word, but they must see what we have seen here also. so, what's the game here. they like these shows so much that they don't need the variety? and watch them over and over again?

There's no game here. People watch what they want to watch. We haven't the foggiest idea --at all -- if they are watching the same shows over and over again. And, so what if they like the shows?

What is the BFD, anyway? Do people here really expect to have HGTV shows on demand to suit their own personal needs, predilections and schedules? What TV network does that, anyway?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aychihuahua,

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I am sorry that I don't understand what you mean by BFD. Yes, you are correct. in what you are saying. people watch what they want to watch. Simply stating that the negativism that you may see here is perhaps that we would like to see more or a variety and not so many repeats.