Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Hate Property Brothers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hate Property Brothers Sign In/Join 
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I have no idea as how come so many people haven't caught on, on the many things that happen in this program. they buy high end furniture, they only bod a couple of rooms. and the people have to pay for the furniture in the loan.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Property Brothers is television. I just like to see the before and after, I don't get pay much attention to the details of pricing. I do believe others buyers can look at the show for inspiration when they shop for a house.
Most lenders do not allow personal property to be included in a home mortgage. Nor will they increase the mortgage after closing, as these remodel expenses are incurred after closing.
The show doesn't tell us the personal finances of the buyer, they just tell us the buyers total budget, we don't know how much is cash they will use to pay for improvements or if they have additional savings to use if they go over the "budget".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Meischa,

Posts: 2487 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
You are correct Meischa and that is the reason for all the confusion on this program. they do not really tell us anything. they want us to believe a lot of things that like you say may not even happen. For entertaining purposes? many viewers like to see how much would a renovation that they have in mind would cost and would like to see real and reasonable prices in their renovations. Why not disclose the costs? and then everyone would have some basis as to what to expect if they are contemplating to do any renovations in their homes.

Posts: 5014 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pattypan: THANKS for that information. I knew something was off. It is amazing that EVERY house sales EVERY EPISODE within a week. That is so far from reality in today's real estate market. What a real shame. HGTV at one point in time had very talented designers who knew what they were doing. Why would they choose actors who by reading these blogs and Facebook page people do not like over talented designers? I am trying to hang in there but I am done! I am breaking up with HGTV.

Posts: 28 | Location: USA | Registered: May 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The arguments on this show do remind me of my brother and I. They've also reminded me of when I invested in real estate and got duped by a loan officer that did some illegal things with my loan and screwed me big time. I wrote an article on yahoo about it. http://voices.yahoo.com/how-go...houses-12679555.html

Read it if you ever plan to invest, it'll be worth your time big time!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
4 posts in one day all directing people to your own article? Advertising is not allowed.

Posts: 7282 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why they never have Canadian guest on the show. I guess only Americans go for that oky-doky

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jun 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't be hatin' on the Property Brothers! Certainly it's true that many homes have hidden problems. When we bought our current home the previous owner signed a sworn affidavit that she knew of no previous termite problems, and within 60 days we had termites everywhere. The neighbors said she did know and had tried homemade remedies to treat them. That is just one example of things you can't necessarily learn from an inspection. In our case the inspection was done during winter when the termites were dormant.

Aside from that, I happen to like the brothers easy-going, non "I'm a star" attitudes and their brotherly banter. They may not show up as much as the show would have us believe, but that is the way TV works. We met a guy at a shop in the FL Keys who had been on "Dirty Jobs" and he said the host was there for about five minutes total, plus another 30 on the boat (they collect sponges from the ocean). Par for the course.

These guys provide a wide range of design styles rather than just the same thing over and over (i.e. Fixer Upper) because they actually listen to what the client wants rather than sticking to their own design preferences, all while trying to create that "dream home" appearance on a limited budget. If you consider their selections cheap, then perhaps you need to up your dream home budget or move into that house that's already done to the nines. If you can afford it, that is - you can't have your cake and eat it too!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 30, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I believe that one of the issues that I have with this program is that they spend too much money of the homeowner's that they will have to repay in their loans for many years to come.

posted Hide Post
Yes. The home owners will have a great loan debt,
while the brothers walk away and laugh.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 04, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please pull this boring program off HGTV. I've tried to watch this program, but more than anything, Property brothers is boring, with no talent hosts who mug for the camera every chance they get. Perhaps HGTV is trying to scare advertisers away...

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Property Brothers, get real. They have a team of talented designers, builders and realtors doing all the work for them while they take all the credit and do not lift a finger. And really, do we need to see Jonathan's crotch on the Emmys? Tacky, tasteless, crude. Maybe Jonathan should pull this exhibitionist stunt on the Canadian Genie Awards and see how appropriate they think it is. You might as well change HGTV network to the Property Brothers Network. HGTV, you have lost me with your make believe reality TV drama.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MattM.
posted Hide Post
The Property Brothers rock!! They were very smart to team up with one being a realtor and the other being the contractor. The work done to the homes is pricey but worth it. Every show I've seen so far has had beautiful construction and flow in the home. The designs are spectacular and I thoroughly enjoy watching the two at work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MattM.,

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The show has a behind the scenes realtor doing the work as well as a behind the scene construction team doing all the work and yes the designers as well. They are bad actors blinded by their own ambition. One of them seems to be more interested in exposing himself at the Emmys than getting his "contractor" hands dirty. I don't know why anybody thinks there is any reality in reality TV. It is over produced, over scripted, and the drama is completely staged.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Who was it that said that "there is a sucker born every minute"?
Those are the ones that don't want to see the reality of the Property Brothers programming.
If they like to see the program and they do understand the pitfalls, by all means, do watch the show. after all you will have the opportunity to see them a lot. that is all there is these days on HGTV.

Picture of mainecoon1995
posted Hide Post
Reality shows aren't always so real, but sometimes, they are entertaining, so sometimes just take with a grain of salt.

I know someone who has an antique store and other products. The American Pickers came to his place. He said way more people picking than Mike and Frank...the crew putting things out to be "found". They filmed the duo in the van, they drove out of camera shot, then stopped, and the crew took the merchandise out and put it in another vehicle, and Frank and Mike driven away in another car. BUT, I still learn from the show, and it's interesting

Posts: 543 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Mar 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scripted entertainment......cheaper to produce than major network shows ...view it as entertainment with a flash of real life situations. The Property Brothers make way too many amateur mistakes to be leaders in the rehab business.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 16, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post