Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Love It or List It : Rita and Steven
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Love It or List It : Rita and Steven Sign In/Join 
posted
I'm Watching Love It or List It with this couple Rita and Steven: The best word to describe them is incredible. At the beginning of the episode, they basically "blamed" their daughter for being born for their reasoning their house is not workable when the real fact is that they do the typical "married-with-children" mistake: Toy hoarding. I cannot believe how people give their kids so much junk and as a result, they think they need to "move". Then to add insult to injury, He uses the master bath and she shares the bathroom with the kids. Are you kidding? He simply does not value Rita and she has allowed him to wear her down -possibly for the sake of her kids to have two parents in the house.
Anyway, Steven is a "you-know-what" and his wife Rita is apparently scared of him and has no backbone. It is apparent that Steven is controlling and she does whatever he wants. As I was watching this show, it got more and more frustrated with the both of them because of Steven's rude behavior and Rita's unwillingness (cowardliness) to put him in check. I know that people will think this is part of the show to show drama, but to me, this is exactly how these two characters are in the real world.
During the tours of the homes with the realtor, since he does not want to move, he is trying to find a reason to find fault. THEN when they keep saying that the realtor is "missing the key points" What are the key points Steven? I don't think he knows. Rita basically plays both sides by wanting to move but not justifying her argument for needing to move, and allowing Steven to simply walk over her. THEN when Hillary is trying to renovate their home, She is allowing Steven to dog out Hillary while she is helping him justify his argument. Ridiculous.
I strongly believe that if this was not a show, David would drop him as a client and Hillary would have pulled up stakes and left them in the dust. But sadly, they have to do what they have to do for the sake of the show.

Posts: 67 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Every post I read about Love It or List It just shows me how glad I am that I don't watch this show.
Marylee

Posts: 1494 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I missed the end. Did they "love it"? or "list it"?

Posts: 227 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dumb show

Posts: 379 | Registered: Oct 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spoiler alert, Geezemarie: it's all staged, top to bottom.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mriley:
Every post I read about Love It or List It just shows me how glad I am that I don't watch this show.
Marylee

Haha, me too, it is a stupid concept and even stupider in the execution.
How does it remotely relate to real life?
Staged or not, I can't watch it. Too much drama from everyone on the show.

Posts: 2470 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who dislikes Love It or List It? I find the way the realtor talks to his clients is offensive - he is just plain obnoxious. He gives realtors a bad name. The whole tone of the show is downright nasty. Maybe it's the closest my beloved HGTV can come to competing with reality shows where people scream at each other and are disrespectful in general.

Wendy Bartlett

Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catawba wb:
Am I the only one who dislikes Love It or List It? I find the way the realtor talks to his clients is offensive - he is just plain obnoxious. He gives realtors a bad name. The whole tone of the show is downright nasty. Maybe it's the closest my beloved HGTV can come to competing with reality shows where people scream at each other and are disrespectful in general.

Wendy,you are definitely not alone.I have only read 1 positive review of this program. Now it is true that people with an axe to grind are more likely to post than fans, but even my friends and collegues who do not post on this or any website can not believe this show. The general consensus amoung my peers is that HGTV has found more viewers sinking to the "Jerry Springer" level, and we should plan on seeing more of these scripted soap opera style shows.

Posts: 1790 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regardless of what the wish list is of the homeower, Hilary always attempts the basement and the kitchen. In the past few days, the uninsulated sunroom was totally ignored for an attempt at the basement. Give me sunshine any day over a dark, damp basement.

Posts: 227 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robeau
posted Hide Post
at least they promote the show, on every break from every other program on hgtv and diy Frown

here we are now, entertain us

Posts: 664 | Location: sierra foothills CA | Registered: Jan 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to like this show, but I hate the fake bickering between the hosts and the associate producer induced fake outrage with the participants. For gosh sakes, why would they get angry about anything: they are getting their house done over and/or moving?

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What gets me is that the homeowner blames Hilary for structural issues and expect miracles for pennies.

Posts: 342 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SanLyn
posted Hide Post
I love the concept of this show, but a lot of it must be staged - and badly staged. All the couples may be disappointed at times during the process, but to ALWAYS blame the designer for flaws in their existing house? A designer is NOT qualified to identify structural issues. The problems her contractors find are problems that a good home inspector would find when they go to sell and would have to fix then anyway.
As for realtors, you tell them you need a (example) 3 Bd/2 Bth house. There are hundreds of floor plans out there. He can't read your mind! And if there are none listed in your budget - what can he do. Also in my limited experience, I've had realtors purposely take me to places different that what I asked for to get more of a feel of my likes and don't likes. And sometimes those places have features you love and wouldn't think of asking for.
Please stop scripting this show and make it REAL. It would be so much better!

Posts: 7 | Location: Texas | Registered: Apr 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This show is absolutely awful. I have to rush and change the channel since the hosts and the silly concept grate on my last nerve. This is coming from an HGTV-aholic. I watch at least 5 hrs a day, so I love home shows. Only show that is worse is the new debacle: Natural Born Sellers. Pls dump both shows asap.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Aug 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot stand the actor and actress who are the hosts...and their clumsy contrived attempt to be witty.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok everyone, lighten up! this is a great show. As a professional Interior Designer- I can say that all of the scenarios that come up with Stephanie's remodeling projects are so real. Whether or not they make up some of the drama, believe me, this is real life remodeling.
Stephanie is such an amazing designer! No one can possibly come up with a criticism of her design results- In my opinion, Stephanie deserve the "Designer of the Year" award. I would let her redesign my house - no questions asked!

Posts: 1 | Location: Vero Beach Florida | Registered: Nov 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pampeii:
Ok everyone, lighten up! this is a great show. As a professional Interior Designer- I can say that all of the scenarios that come up with Stephanie's remodeling projects are so real. Whether or not they make up some of the drama, believe me, this is real life remodeling.
Stephanie is such an amazing designer! No one can possibly come up with a criticism of her design results- In my opinion, Stephanie deserve the "Designer of the Year" award. I would let her redesign my house - no questions asked!

Who is Stephanie? Hilary is the designer on LIOLI.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6961 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if either of the tow hosts were working for me and acted like they do on that show, I would fire them. Why is this on the air? constantly

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of real estate lady
posted Hide Post
I am a Realtor in Tampa Florida. I love this show--
LOVE IT OR LIST IT. Raw emotion is key to success
of HGTV programming. Keep it coming!

Posts: 9274 | Registered: Aug 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MiragePilot
posted Hide Post
No offense to anyone who likes this show, but if you think it's real as portrayed...well it's not.

First of all, if Hillary had to make a real living as a designer, and could NEVER fullfill major promises to her clients, she'd starve to death. Real designers know where load-bearing walls and HVAC runs are BEFORE they create their plan. They're not always "surprised" like Hillary is.

It's all fake drama. The whole thing, including whether they'll love it or list it, is a done deal before the first minute of video is shot.

If they don't have a real surprise in the rehab, they'll create one. DRAMA! It's what apparently brings viewers back. FAKE DRAMA works too I guess.

And, have you ever wondered why David follows two crap, loser homes by a perfect third one every time? FAKE DRAMA.

Enjoy.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jun 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The show is obviously fake. What bothers me the most is how David manipulates the "numbers" at the end of the show. He always elevates the value of Hilliary's improvements at 150 to 200 percent, unrealistically giving us, the viewers, the impression that for every dollar we spend on improvements to our homes we will have that kind of payback.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the show did a follow up several months later to see how the owners really made out.

I could easily do without this show.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geezemarie:
I'm Watching Love It or List It with this couple Rita and Steven: The best word to describe them is incredible. At the beginning of the episode, they basically "blamed" their daughter for being born for their reasoning their house is not workable when the real fact is that they do the typical "married-with-children" mistake: Toy hoarding. I cannot believe how people give their kids so much junk and as a result, they think they need to "move". Then to add insult to injury, He uses the master bath and she shares the bathroom with the kids. Are you kidding? He simply does not value Rita and she has allowed him to wear her down -possibly for the sake of her kids to have two parents in the house.
Anyway, Steven is a "you-know-what" and his wife Rita is apparently scared of him and has no backbone. It is apparent that Steven is controlling and she does whatever he wants. As I was watching this show, it got more and more frustrated with the both of them because of Steven's rude behavior and Rita's unwillingness (cowardliness) to put him in check. I know that people will think this is part of the show to show drama, but to me, this is exactly how these two characters are in the real world.
During the tours of the homes with the realtor, since he does not want to move, he is trying to find a reason to find fault. THEN when they keep saying that the realtor is "missing the key points" What are the key points Steven? I don't think he knows. Rita basically plays both sides by wanting to move but not justifying her argument for needing to move, and allowing Steven to simply walk over her. THEN when Hillary is trying to renovate their home, She is allowing Steven to dog out Hillary while she is helping him justify his argument. Ridiculous.
I strongly believe that if this was not a show, David would drop him as a client and Hillary would have pulled up stakes and left them in the dust. But sadly, they have to do what they have to do for the sake of the show.

I thought the title was interesting until I started watching. The same thing every week--Hillary finds some hidden problems that need to be fixed, the homeowners always ***** and moan about the "hidden" problems and costs that go with it. And don't get me started with David and his snide, obnoxious comments. I guess it's supposed to be funny but it is way off the mark. And isn't amazing that the last house is ALWAYS the perfect one? But the couple usually end up jumping ship regardless whether they can sell their house for what David says it is worth so they can get the house that is above their ability to pay (can we all say under water?). And don't forget packing up the house with all the junk they don't have room for in the present house and moving costs. This is certainly the fakest show I have watched. It is certainly no way near the other shows, which supply at least a look at decent houses or try to be realistic by explaining what the possible problems may be. Sorry, you missed the mark with this one.

Posts: 1 | Location: United States | Registered: Feb 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked this show has not been cancelled by now. It's terrible and it seems like it is on all of the time!
Hillary always runs out of money and can't deliver on her design plan..never leaves money in the budget for problems when designing,the clients always blame her for their problems, and almost everyone lists it! David adds nothing to the show. It's basically the same episode over and over with different clients. Oh and the acting is so bad. HGTV, please replace this show!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow I'm surprised by all the negative comments. I actually like the show & David & Hilary's banter with each other. It gives the show an edge unlike the other ones. And FYI all "Reality shows" are scripted to some extent.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not only to Rita and Steven but to HGTV. Do you have to show so much of this show. It gets old fast. Show something else.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LARealEstateChick:
Wow I'm surprised by all the negative comments. I actually like the show & David & Hilary's banter with each other. It gives the show an edge unlike the other ones. And FYI all "Reality shows" are scripted to some extent.

Why are you "surprised by all of the negative comments"? Why do you feel compelled to come on a thread to inform us of that. This is not the first thread you have done like this. People are stating their opinions positive and negative. Deal. Not everything is Petticoat Junction.

Posts: 67 | Location: Indiana | Registered: Nov 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of meredithd1
posted Hide Post
I'm just trying to find out about Love It or List It, Dysfunctional Home Episode HLILI-909H Season 9 Episode 8. HOW DID IT END??

Summary: "Over three decades ago, Irene and Marcos moved from Ecuador to start a new life in their suburban home. Thirty-five years later, the couple only have one daughter still living at home, but their house has gotten busier. With the addition of spouses and grandchildren, Irene and Marcos' family gatherings find them desperately struggling to accommodate everyone in their current space. Marcos doesn't want to sell their home, but in order for Irene to stay, things are definitely going to have to change. Stepping into this debate are Designer Hilary and Realtor David. Hilary and her team plan to create an open concept main floor, while David tries to find Marcos and Irene a new house that has space and functions for their big family. In the end, Irene and Marcos will have to decide- will they love their home again or will they list it?"

So I DVR'd it but the last minute when they decide what to do was cut off. Do any of the few actual fans of the show on here know how it ended?

Sure there's a lot of drama and set-ups. But I enjoy the show. It's fun for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: meredithd1,

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of meredithd1
posted Hide Post
BTW Sparky - Stephanie is the designer on Love it or List It, Too.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by meredithd1:
BTW Sparky - Stephanie is the designer on Love it or List It, Too.

Meredith, the on-camera "designer", actress and hostess is Jillian Harris. Don't know which Vancouver design firm does the actual design work.

On second thought, they might use the Toronto design firm used by LIOLI and then use local Vancouver design firms to stage for camera.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by meredithd1:
I'm just trying to find out about Love It or List It, Dysfunctional Home Episode HLILI-909H Season 9 Episode 8. HOW DID IT END??

Summary: "Over three decades ago, Irene and Marcos moved from Ecuador to start a new life in their suburban home. Thirty-five years later, the couple only have one daughter still living at home, but their house has gotten busier. With the addition of spouses and grandchildren, Irene and Marcos' family gatherings find them desperately struggling to accommodate everyone in their current space. Marcos doesn't want to sell their home, but in order for Irene to stay, things are definitely going to have to change. Stepping into this debate are Designer Hilary and Realtor David. Hilary and her team plan to create an open concept main floor, while David tries to find Marcos and Irene a new house that has space and functions for their big family. In the end, Irene and Marcos will have to decide- will they love their home again or will they list it?"

So I DVR'd it but the last minute when they decide what to do was cut off. Do any of the few actual fans of the show on here know how it ended?

Sure there's a lot of drama and set-ups. But I enjoy the show. It's fun for me.

Meredith, you can start a new thread for another episode by using the box marked "New" at the top of the page.

All HGTV programs go 1 minute over on their schedule. To hear the outcome, you need to add 1 minute to your dvr recording.

In any event, both the LIOLI work lists and outcomes are predetermined. There's no real life, actual "decision". It's acting, drama.

In any event, the Ecuadorian family (supposedly) "loved it".

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
this show is predictable.

Hillary's pattern: emphasize what cannot be done with the budget because of discovering structural problems that must be fixed... make it sound like nothing is getting done, other than fixing problems... then show remodeled rooms at the reveal that the homeowners oooh and aaaah over.

David's pattern: show 3 houses. first two are duds. third is always awesome to the homeowner who does not want to leave his/her existing home.

The reveal: couple are chatting about the possibilities. if they are playing up the features of the 3rd home David showed them, you can bet they are going to answer the Love it-List it question with 'Love it.' if they are praising what Hillary has done to their home, you know they will say 'List it.'

Posts: 3870 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As we all know, see above posts, bana, the show is scripted. For purposes of LIOLI, Hilary and David are actors, period.

Hilary completes the work pursuant to a predetermined, agreed upon work list. The problems are faux drama, discovered during inspections completed long before Hilary and David step foot on the set.

David isn't their realtor. Again, the outcome, just like the work performed, was predetermined.

Yes, those are the participants' lines, pursuant to the script.

If you enjoy the show, accept that it's drama and keep watching!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
of course i know its scripted. why else would the pattern be the same for every show.

Posts: 3870 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Predictable" and having the same "pattern" have a different meaning than scripted.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
you missed my point but i am not going to respond and have this escalate into something. so i respectfully say 'no further comment'.

posted Hide Post
Then why did you respond?

If you read and most of all, understood my post, then you know I was making a different point. I didn't miss anything, bana.

The only person escalating was you.

posted Hide Post
Wow… Bana has a been a long-time contributor to this forum. Her original comment on the LIOLI pattern is a perfect summary of the show, "as we all know". We really didn't need the condescending follow-up comments.

Posts: 361 | Location: SoCal | Registered: Mar 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bana....I do not think that you needed to reiterate that the show is scripted aguabella. I think we all know that. Perhaps you should just leave well enough alone.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grifsy Sue:
Wow… Bana has a been a long-time contributor to this forum. Her original comment on the LIOLI pattern is a perfect summary of the show, "as we all know". We really didn't need the condescending follow-up comments.

I definitely agree, Grifsy Sue. We don't need bana's condescending comments - the one that started this.

I wasn't aware that length of time contributing somehow allowed a poster to essentially call another one, stupid, as bana did to me, e.g. "you" missed the point.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bana:
you missed my point but i am not going to respond and have this escalate into something. so i respectfully say 'no further comment'.

I'd call "you missed my point" condescending, wouldn't you?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AguaBella:
"Predictable" and having the same "pattern" have a different meaning than scripted.

This is merely a fact and was written in a simple, nonjudgmental way, unlike "you missed the point" - emphasis on "you".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maymaysmom1:
I agree with Bana....I do not think that you needed to reiterate that the show is scripted aguabella. I think we all know that. Perhaps you should just leave well enough alone.

Gee, if posters aren't allowed to "reiterate" maymaysmom1, then this thread should have ended about 40 posts ago.

If you instructed everyone who reiterated something on these hgtv mb threads to immediately cease and desist, you'd probably be posting all day and then some, maymaysmom1. That's probably almost every thread.

You're the moderator now? Please direct me to the mb rules to confirm that reiteration is prohibited.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree with Bana....I do not think that you needed to reiterate that the show is scripted guabella. I think we all know that. Perhaps you should just leave well enough alone.

And guess what, we all know that the show follows a certain pattern, too!

So I should have called bana out for reiteration, right maymaysmom1? Where's your post doing that?

posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh, so I'm not allowed to post, huh? Perhaps you, yourself, should have left well enough alone, maymaysmom1.