Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  House hunters international
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House hunters international Sign In/Join 
posted
Watching the El Salvador episode of house hunters international really made me mad! I love this show but the way they ignored the subject of crime in El Salvador was almost criminal! When the hapless wife asked the husband why the security guard of the complex they were looking at a house was behind barbed wire fence and carrying a machine gun, the husband replied, just a habit from the mean old civil war and the agent agreed. Folks El Salvador has the 2 highest murder rate in the entire world. And the state dept's current warnings are that Not one single area of the country is safe from violent crime at any given moment. Crimes are barely if followed up on at all by the police and 24 Americans have been killed since 2010. And even the peace corps has drastically scaled back their presence in the country! Life in these times should not be approached haphazardly by clueless people with little children in their care in one of the most violent and dangerous countries in the world. And this show at least has a responsibility to portray the conditions on the ground accurately. If nothing else they shouldn't misrepresent a life or death reality uncomfortable as that might be. What's next time shares in Mogadishu?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lavern2
posted Hide Post
I totally agree!

I thought I was the only one concerned about the crime and drug cartels in many of the South American locations that the HHI folks were purchasing as "vacation" homes. Frown

Posts: 1025 | Location: Chesterfield, Virginia | Registered: Jan 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own property in a country with high crime and drug cartels (Mexico). In my specific location, there is not high crime or cartel activity, so I know it may be true in other locations also.

El Salvador doesn't appeal to me, but of course, Mexico doesn't appeal to others. I amazed when watching HHI, at what some people like and buy. I guess it shows we all have different taste.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post