Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Property Brothers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Brothers Sign In/Join 
posted
Love the show. The brothers are brilliant.

Question:
What do you think of the unrealistic expectations and I want it all now attitude.

Choices:
Makes the show too funny
Many couples get exactly what they deserve for not listening to brothers.Half thier wish list and showing thier greediness and ignorance on tv.I find it very amusing

Keith Mooney

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love this show too - it is my favorite show on hgtv. They are currently looking for homeowners in Austin, TX and I wish I could apply - they are awesome - just love their work!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Property Brothers are my favorite to watch on HGTV. I really get a lot of good ideas from the new show "Buying and Selling". Renovations and sales/purchases information is great and the "team" really compliment each other. I am currently selling a home (listed 3 months) and have made an offer on a short sale in an area we want to be. I could really use the "Brother's" expertise on how to get my current home sold so I have the money for the "needed" renovations of the short sale. However, getting a message directly to them is quite a challenge. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Sep 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you need updating or staging advice, did you try posting about your home (with photos) in the Real Estate section below, joyner99?

If you include photos, I'm sure you'll receive many responses from qualified real estate professionals.

Good Luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BearCat49,

Posts: 168 | Registered: Sep 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the brothers Drew & Scott. I like their design.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am enjoying the show with Jen and JP because they are more in the range of most people. They have a budget in the $200,000 range, which is even higher than most people in my area could go. I am so tired of the people that need and want the best of the best, and in their 20's have budgets of a half million or higher.Where the heck do these people work?? Certainly not in Michigan!! Let's get some shows with real people in there that really appreciate what they find!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Oct 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like Property Brothers too. They seem like a couple of nice young guys. Also like their Buying and Selling show as well. Some of those clients they get crack me up! Are they for real? Same goes for Love It or List It....

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the show too. But it is unrealistic that all the houses in the show sell right away and for the asking price.... It is not like that in real life... At least not in Chicago.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jul 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
As much as I criticized this show I have to admit that their new show, Buy and Sell for me is a winner.
They actually for a modest amount of money they do some renovations that will make the house more sellable and they in my view do a pretty good job.
Still have the same opinion on Property Bros. don't like it, for reasons that I have posted before ad nauseum.

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there some privacy clause so that we don't know where they are looking? Some people would want to relocate to find houses at those prices.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paula, I don't watch these programs but did hear somewhere that they filmed B&S in Austin. Also heard that they discuss their filming locations on twitter. Don't know but they probably have a FB page, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AguaBella,

Posts: 487 | Registered: Dec 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
really enjoy the show. WOuld love to see a potential home owner that had the courage to swap houses instead of going over budget to get their first pick. Or one that went in looking for the fixer that had a bit mroe of a clue.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see all the shows on HGTV as comedies!
Saw Property Brothers today--best line by potential buyer/homeowner when looking at a totally rundown "fixer-upper" that they were going to buy for $570,000 and put $100,000 into to renovate: "Oh, I really don't like the curtains!!!"
Ya think???

Also, those brothers are really nice to look at!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deesigner19,

Posts: 137 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: Dec 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IM SORRY!!! Johnathan IS A MORON!! he doesnt know how to remove a stripped screw on a ADA bar in a bathroom... to the point of costing a 1000 dollar over budget expense..

USE A DRILL and drill the head off the screw, remove the trim and use a vise grip or locking pliar to losten and remove the remainin g screw shank... takes 2 min and would have saved over 1000.00

had HE been on a job I was running, HE would be fired instantly with prejustice and His brother would be shortly following him.. for making the statment that ALL projects go over budget...

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by candyvirgo:
Love the brothers Drew & Scott. I like their design.

Drew and Jonathan Scott.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeanQ
posted Hide Post
I love this show. I'm so happy to see they have a new season starting in Jan 2013. I love their new show too.
Keep up the great work guys. I could watch your shows over and over again and I would buy DVDs of your show if they were available for purchase.

I guess I was wrong. There have been no more new shows. It was just wishful thinking on my part. I still can't understand why they would cancel their best show.

Posts: 17 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: Feb 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aychihuahua
posted Hide Post
I don't watch this show too often, but when I do I always enjoy it. I think the bros are cute and have the patience of saints when dealing with difficult clients. Oh, and their designs are not too shabby, either.

Posts: 5309 | Registered: Jul 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fell in love today with some of the renos on todays show of the single girl. Loved the bead board ceilings.

Posts: 227 | Registered: Jun 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by designer5:

I think they're swindlers. They take an unsuspecting couple on a tour of a beautiful renovated house then after they love it, they reveal its at least 50% over their budget. Then convince them to renovate a fixer-upper, Classic bait and switch. Then they keep the hidden costs a secret until the couple has agreed to the renovations and the work has started, then the hidden costs are revealed. They couldn't get away from that in California.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronrome:
quote:
Originally posted by designer5:

I think they're swindlers. They take an unsuspecting couple on a tour of a beautiful renovated house then after they love it, they reveal its at least 50% over their budget. Then convince them to renovate a fixer-upper, Classic bait and switch. Then they keep the hidden costs a secret until the couple has agreed to the renovations and the work has started, then the hidden costs are revealed. They couldn't get away from that in California.

Ron,
We can make a couple of assumptions here:

1. People that appear on the show have probably seen it before they appeared and the know the drill. After all they do the same thing with every episode. Take the couple to see a home that has everything they put on their wish list but exceeds their budget.
2. When renovating a 50-75+ year old house you are going to uncover things in the process. You should always have a cushion for cost overruns.
3. You don't see everything that happens in a 6 or 8 week process from the time they purchase the home until they move in. You're also not seeing half the people involved in the renovation, just highlights.
4. All of these comments can be applied to Love It or List It as its format is the same with every show.
5. It is entertainment, if you're not entertained don't punish yourself by watching it.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6958 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aychihuahua:
I don't watch this show too often, but when I do I always enjoy it. I think the bros are cute and have the patience of saints when dealing with difficult clients. Oh, and their designs are not too shabby, either.

Ditto.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
property brothers is my FAVORITE!! And dream home 2013 because it literally IS my dream home!!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe Property Brothers could talk to Nicole at the Rehab Addict and come up with a REALISTIC show. Reuse and re-purpose somethings. FOR EXAMPLE: Why do all cabinets HAVE to be demolished.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cabinets are not always made of good materials but I wince when I see all these remodeling shows throwing away what looks like perfectly good stuff.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samie13:
I am enjoying the show with Jen and JP because they are more in the range of most people. They have a budget in the $200,000 range, which is even higher than most people in my area could go. I am so tired of the people that need and want the best of the best, and in their 20's have budgets of a half million or higher.Where the heck do these people work?? Certainly not in Michigan!! Let's get some shows with real people in there that really appreciate what they find!
Yeah, who are these people on this show???!! I mean, I love the show, but I find these people portrayed on this show, very unrealistic. I'm a RN with a decent income, live in a very nice suburb of a big city with excellent public schools, and could never afford even the fixer-uppers. My house is 2100 sqft on a 1/4 acre and is values at around $140000. Come-on, be more realistic for the 99% of your viewers. I'm ready to dump this show from my must watch list, no matter how much I love theses guys!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Catedi:
quote:
Originally posted by samie13:
Yeah, who are these people on this show???!! I mean, I love the show, but I find these people portrayed on this show, very unrealistic. I'm a RN with a decent income, live in a very nice suburb of a big city with excellent public schools, and could never afford even the fixer-uppers. My house is 2100 sqft on a 1/4 acre and is values at around $140000. Come-on, be more realistic for the 99% of your viewers. I'm ready to dump this show from my must watch list, no matter how much I love theses guys!

According to the U.S. Census Bureau the average sale price of homes purched in December 2012 was $304,000. Obviously prices in the North East and West are higher than they are in the South, with the Midwest being the least expensive. But I think a T.V. show going for the overall average seems right to me.

Besides it's a Canadian show, so we'd have to know exactly where they are finding their buyers to be on target.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most recent episodes aired were filmed in TX.

BTW, 304K was the most recent average sales price figure for new homes, i.e. newly constructed homes. IIRC, the overall average (including existing homes) is significantly lower - usually around 200K and the median is typically even lower.

Posts: 518 | Registered: Aug 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
Watched a couple shows today and was a DJVU even after a house inspection all these problems com up,is it me or was the home inspector just plain blind> or did he show up at all?, the homeowners were seeemingly at there wits end with all the cut backs and extreme setbacks
IMO I THOUGHT thats that the inspector was suppoxed to find out?

I tad bit confused I must say LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love property brothers , how can I find a property brother to help me in winter park florida area pattyebrown

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
You really, really want them to help you with a property in winter park, that is an expensive area of Orlando, besides, for what I have seen in their shows, I feel that I am better off dealing with a fixer upper myself, than with the ridiculous figures that these gentlemen spend. Unless you don't care having a 600.00 chandelier that is bought with your money.

Posts: 5009 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't have to The Property Brothers, but how would you find someone to trust that could do it all for you like they do, in winter park fl area.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I also live in Florida, especially in that area you have quite a bit of contractors that can provide you with prices on any kind of renovations that you wish.
Of course they are not going to charge you for the furniture or the décor that they put in your renovated house.
Now remember that you are seeing a TV program, I don't think that you are going to find a contractor/architect that is going to sell your home, help you buy another one. and then do any kind of renovations. Think about the fact that you would need realtors, to sell your home, and then realtor to buy a new "fixer upper" and then contract a contractor that will get involved in permits, plumbers, electricians etc. in order to provide you with whatever renovations you have decided on. In my experience, is TV entertainment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rker321,

posted Hide Post
I want to know if they renovate the bedrooms and bathrooms as well. They always do a fantastic job on the three areas they film and design. But if the bedrooms and bathrooms are as awful as they show at first, something needs to be done to them before I would ever move in!

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
That is the problem they don't. therefore as you can see, their renovations are extremely expensive especially when you consider the amount of money that they spend on furniture and accessories.

Picture of Julianna76
posted Hide Post
I would tell the PB, forget the furniture, I'm not spending $2600.00 on a sofa when I get one from IKEA for $600.00. Come back to reality please and come to America. Semi detached? Really? Who in their right mind would spend over $450,000, on a rat infested, foundation crumbling wreck? Does anyone in Canada get a "home inspection" before they move in? I'm talking specifically about the people who lived there prior to the PB showing the home to an unsuspecting couple.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Aug 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that everyone does in Canada. but you need to remember that the shoes that you mention are scrtipted and in no way they represent the truth.

posted Hide Post
real estate prices are usually not driven by the structure or condition of the structure, they are usually driven by the location. so referencing the condition of a property without taking into consideration the location doesnt make sense.
a broken down flea trap in manhattan or San Francisco could out price a mansion in smaller cities.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Feb 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny thing with this show is that my brother and I have had nearly the same arguments I've seen on it, and we never did properties together. I was the only one who got into real estate. Things went pretty south for me financially because of it. Read my article if you are thinking about being real estate, really its good to look for what I mention here http://voices.yahoo.com/how-go...houses-12679555.html

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jun 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post