Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Brother vs Brother
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brother vs Brother Sign In/Join 
posted
Just watched last night's episode.... I loved the green wall in the kitchen... what I didn't love was the backsplash which was too brown.... I'm glad they sent the person home that they did..... (not gonna say for those who haven't watched yet) it was the right choice. I understand the need to make everything neutral, but paint is easy to change....

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked the show as well. The renovations made sense and give people a good sense of what needs to be done to increase the value of their home.

Although, I found myself wondering why they have to put such a tight time-frame on these shows. Once again, everyone is forced to run around like crazy people. It appeared that things were just being thrown together.

Posts: 158 | Registered: Jul 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CorvetteLady
posted Hide Post
I think they do the tight time frame to create drama. I did like the show. At the beginning they said they had a $25,000 budget and the the cabinets wouldn't come out of the budget. At the end they showed what each spent and it wasn't even half of their budget. I don't understand why they didn't use all the money. Why use press and stick tiles if you have money to buy good flooring?

I agree that the right person got sent home.

Posts: 538 | Registered: Aug 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no designer should ever use press and stick tiles!

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really care for the format of this show and ended up fast forwarding through much of it just to get the end. Boring. I much preferred Property Brothers.

Posts: 87 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also didn't care for this show. I love the brothers on property brothers. This new show is just another reality competition, which I always avoid.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like Property Brothers, but I absolutely HATE this Brother vs. Brother nonsense. I am so disappointed in the current crop of HGTV shows. I have begun checking the early morning offerings and taping old shows, since there so few I like. And now, I find the website to be as messed up as the programming. What a shame! I loved this channel when it when there were decorating shows aimed at real people with realistic budgets.

Posts: 21 | Location: FL | Registered: Aug 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this show. It feels more genuine than HGTV Star to me....and it moves faster which is nice. Not having Genevieve or Vern is just a perk. And, hey, I'll watch Jonathan and Drew in just about anything.

Posts: 165 | Location: Northwestern Wyoming | Registered: Mar 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sparky
posted Hide Post
Having DVRd a couple episodes of this show I have to say I wouldn't let them near my house to do any project. The brothers mention they'll need to send in their crew to fix it up because the workmanship is bad. I haven't endured Renovation Raiders but I'd expect the same high quality (snark) construction there as we see on BvB.

General Disclaimer

Any advice given here is general in nature and is not necessarily valid for your given area. If in doubt check with your local codes enforcement department for what is required when doing electrical, plumbing or structural work on your house. Permits may or may not be required in your area and home owners may not be able to DIY some tasks. I have no way of knowing if you have the skills needed to complete the tasks you are asking about, when in doubt seek professional assistance.

My advice may be worth exactly what you pay me for it. :-) For the record I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Posts: 6946 | Location: Cary, North Carolina | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I have watched all the shows and I don't see how they can expect to show quality workmanship with the time constraints they put on the projects...Especially with kitchens and bathrooms. I guess I don't see what HGTV is trying to do with this type of show. I am certainly not learning anything from it.

This show seems to me to be a fill-in fashioned after Design Star/HGTV Star. I bet if either Vern or Gen had a realtor's license, they would be judging an episode.

I think that if they can put together six episodes of this show, then they can just as easily put together six episodes for one of the HGTV designers and give us some decorating ideas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1488 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post