Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Renovation Raiders
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Renovation Raiders Sign In/Join 
posted
Just what I'm hoping for - NOT. Yet, another surprise makeover show. The promo shows a couple saying "We just went out to dinner" came back and have a new room.

Really...an entire room makeover in a couple of hours? That's less time than Angelo Sumelis had on his show. At least he had 24 hours!Smile

Posts: 2513 | Registered: Jun 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsunny99
posted Hide Post
I so totally don't believe the premise of this show - the "surprise" of a makeover. Why even call it a "surprise" when the audience knows full well that the couple knows. I know in the promo it said something about they even change gas lines within the few hours. When the house blows up, someone is going to get sued.

Posts: 3071 | Location: Anchorage, AK USA | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Apparently it is too much to ask for a simple, good design show......Roll Eyes

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Debbie Travis pulled it off on her show. I like the idea. I just think the family and friends have to be exceptionally tricky! lol

Nice name....Renovation Raiders. Some seasons might be easier to pull off the event.

Posts: 5044 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did Debbie do 'surprise" designs supposedly in just the time a couple went out to dinner?

From what I recall those folks were away for a trip of at least a few days.

Angelo hosted "24 Hour Design" but those homeowners we IN on the design and there helping.

There was Suzie Coehlo show that did a 'surprise' back yard while the person was away for a few hours, but all the interior home show I recall had people away for longer than "dinner."

I don't mind a show having a gimmick But why does it always have to be a time crunch. We gone from people being away for a couple of days, to a day,-- now we're down to 'while they're out at dinner' give me a freaking break with that.

As Annie said why can't we just have a a simple, good design show....you know, the kind of shows that given HGTV it's growth spurt ratings in the first place: Michael Payne, Chris Madden. Christopher Lowell, Lynette Jennings (although these last two weren't on HGTV, that's the type I'm talking about) -- heck, even Angelo Surmelis -- and hvn help me, Lauren Lake at this point! Now THAT is desperationSmile

posted Hide Post
The show didn't do a thing for me.

I think in all honesty I could have gotten a LITTLE more into it if it had been 30 minutes, but I rarely will watch the 60 minute shows - I just don't need to know THAT much about what it took to "make it happen". HGTV needs to realize we live in an age of smart phones and video clips where people are used to watching YouTube and Vimeo videos - attention spans are MUCH shorter than they were years ago - there simply is no need for 60 minute makeover shows any longer.

I do know that if I had a sign on a door that boldly said, "Do not open - Cats inside", and someone opened it and let one of them out anyway, then I'd make sure the cameraman filmed me FIRING that person on national TV, though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Greg 30127,

Posts: 199 | Location: Atlanta, GA. USA | Registered: Mar 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of robeau
posted Hide Post
This show had nothing about design, there was no "how to" aspect, nothing educational, it was all about the viewer being on pins and needles wondering if the project would be done on time. IT'S TV, OF COURSE IT WILL BE DONE ON TIME! It may not be the worse show I've ever seen but it was definitely the most worthless.

here we are now, entertain us

Posts: 662 | Location: sierra foothills CA | Registered: Jan 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We tried this show once and turned it off after about 10 minutes. Can't put my finger on it, but it just wasn't interesting. We also thought it was a weird concept when you consider things like the average drying time for interior latex paint and/or mastic for tile applications.How good are the actual results?

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I haven't even watched the show. I saw the promos and thought, "Why would you want to do such a thing in a couple of hours? Why?"

Posts: 775 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's great if you're looking for a plastic back splash and click vinyl floors. At least the end product looked stylish and better than what they had before. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I guess if you don't mind sending a worker to the emergency room with concussion because a cabinet fell on his head; then it's "good" TV.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Even with all the promos on this show, I forgot to watch it. I will be sure to watch the next show to see what everyone is talking about. You all are making me curious. Marylee

Posts: 1448 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I saw the first commercial for this show, I yelled WHY? at the TV. Who comes us with these stupid ideas? Who cares if a reno is done in 5 hours, 24 hours, three months or one year? If it is an interesting reno with lots of how to advice (a la Sarah's houses)then I'll watch.

But just because some egomaniac designer wants us to be impressed because she/he can rush something through in record time? With no care for doing a job well, getting the details right, or making it last? Makes no sense to me. But then, there is little on HGTV that makes sense anymore. Such a waste of a network.

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I really like Amy Matthews' other show, Sweat Equity, where she uses her expertise (she's a licensed contractor) to help homeowners make their own improvements. So I was hopeful about Renovation Raiders, but I lost interest when workers started getting hurt. I don't think any kitchen is worth a trip to the emergency room ---seriously, the guy went to the hospital! Construction should never be rushed to a dangerous degree. That's not entertainment.

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of siena
posted Hide Post
I can only imagine the shoddy work being done by this crew where she brags that they move plumbing and gas lines in a single night. The more I think about it, I don't even find it believable.

Posts: 20 | Location: Southern Nevada | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I completely agree with all these posts. I have not seen the show and probably won't. There is no way you can do a quality job in the time it takes someone to have dinner. I recently had a crew of 6 working in a client's home to take out carpet and existing tile, install new floors (both tile and hardwood) throughout, put in new granite countertops and sinks in the kitchen and both bathrooms, and do a simple but fancy looking backsplash in the kitchen. It took 4-5 days by the time everything was demoed, installed and ready for them to move back in. Yes, there was a slight glitch which ate up the equivalent of a day and yes I'm a perfectionist and demanding - but, all in all it went together fairly smoothly. This was a crew of 6. How many more can you fit into a house all doing work without falling over each other?
I just don't buy that it is worth even showing this garbage. It's not entertaining, it's not educational and it's not realistic.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belle_N_Lex
posted Hide Post
From Doodles...
I just don't buy that it is worth even showing this garbage. It's not entertaining, it's not educational and it's not realistic.

PERFECTLY SUMMED IT UP !!!
I watched the show... not planning on watching it again. Belle

Posts: 623 | Registered: Sep 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
I also watched this show. Too frenzied for me. I won't watch it again. Marylee

Posts: 1448 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Annett
posted Hide Post
I sat through the first episode (cringing), but didn't make it all the way through the second. There's just no information I can use here, and I don't watch HGTV for drama.

Posts: 1430 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Nov 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too don't particularly care for this show. Why HGTV would think anyone wants to sit through 55 minutes of planning/setup for a 5 minute reveal is beyond me. Doodles64 said it best. There was nothing educational, realistic or even entertaining about it. I love learning about design, all designs, any design, but this format didn't provide anything of value to me. Bummer. When is SFAS coming back? That's my favorite!!

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm afraid I just found the show to be boring.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The element of surprise is sort of fun, but we need the quality as well.

Posts: 23 | Location: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Jul 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched one and a half episodes of this but will not watch one minute more. It was totally awful. I agree with all the others who posted that 1) the timeframe is ridiculous and 2) there is no design here at all.

I watch HGTV to get ideas for design, not to see people scurrying around like rats trying to beat a clock and do shoddy work.

I don't watch HGTV for that at all. Even the concept of this show is abhorrent--the delivery is even worse. This is what I didn't like about Trading Spaces and quit watching after a while--silly, phony drama, trying to beat a clock, and few if any design ideas.

Terrible, terrible show. Next?

Save the Earth, it is the only planet with CHOCOLATE!

Posts: 133 | Location: Texarkana | Registered: Jun 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
You mean the show didn't "blow your minds?" I'm stunned.

Posts: 775 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I said I wasn't planning to watch it but it was on tonight and my sister said she was "curious" - so it was on. That was the last time, trust me. What a stupid show. There are many stupid shows on HGTV but this is really up among the top 3 stupid shows of all time.

And, the one that was on before it: Rehab Addict or whatever - does this woman know what she's doing???? Besides, her voice irritates me like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Posts: 4292 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Dec 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the next new show could be:
We build you a new kitchen while you are taking a shower. Surprise!!

Posts: 1117 | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too much "faux" drama for my taste, and the worst wigs on TV. Maybe they should make it dinner and a movie so the workers can keep all their fingers.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ohsquared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Annett:
. . . seriously, the guy went to the hospital! Construction should never be rushed to a dangerous degree. That's not entertainment.

I cringed several times during the episode I watched, starting with the material wasted from the "dry run." I was over the show by the ER visit. Also, poor planning. If you live in a cold climate, construction adhesive is going to freeze if you leave it outside. It doesn't take a contractor's license to figure that one out . . . just common sense.

All I ask from Ms. HGTV is a simple gardening show like City Gardener from several years ago or a well-produced design show like This Small Space, which hooked me on HGTV in the first place. The cringe-worthy info-tainment needs to cease immediately.

Posts: 81 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Nov 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
It was okay,I might watch it again.

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I kind of like the show, it was entertaining and the rooms were gorgeous when finished. I do agree that the time frame is a bit unbelievable.

Posts: 4 | Location: Walnutport, PA | Registered: Jun 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a huge fan, but I'd watch it again.

Posts: 7 | Location: Danielsville, PA | Registered: Jun 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody have any real scoop on how this show is taped. Exactly what is the real time frame in which the work is done? Are we really to believe all these remodels are done in less than 6 hours or so. I mean an entire first floor or kitchen is done complete with new everything, relocated water and gas lines, etc. in the time a couple goes 'out to dinner? Really?

Also, maybe I can't relate because I have no desire to be on TV, or get a remodel done on TV -- but even if I did -- there's no way I'd even WANT any kind of remodel that's done in 4, 6 or even 8 hours.

MAYBE a bedroom could be done in that time. After all, a bedroom is just 'walls' and closets -- paint(or wallpaper), flooring, lighting -- but at least not plumbing or gas lines. But even for a bedroom -- if the flooring guys can't work while the painters are working, and electricians are trying to work while wallpaper is being hung -- what kind of QUALITY could the work possibly be? I wouldn't pay for that crap -- nor want it even if it were free (which it wouldn't be because at minimum you'd have to pay taxes on the amount of the value of the work.)

Sadly, another gimmick for hyped drama for a show.

Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly, another gimmick for hyped drama for a show.

It was on last night but the weather was bad so I wasn't really watching but I think I heard someone say they were going to let the air out of the owners tires so they couldn't get home.

Seriously?? This reminds of me of the silly "What Is Your Sign Design". Anyone remember that gem?

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah I was channel surfing and caught that very scene.
I don't even know what to say....other than...

HGTV has fallen so off my radar that even when I'm channel surfing for something to watch, I'll go up and down the guide two or three times -- and THEN it will occur to me "oh yeah, let me see what's on HGTV. It's not even a third fourth or fifth choice anymore.

I know they're not design shows/channels but now that I've got more 'nostalgia' channels...I'll watch Me TV, Cozi TV, Antenna TV, This TV, PBS, PBS Create, BBC, Bravo, A&E.....they all come before HGTV now.

I'll watch a rerun of "Maude" "The Rifleman" "Bachelor Father" "Emergency" or "Adam 12" before most things on HGTV!Smile

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how to sign up to be on Renovation Raiders? I live in Minneapolis and would like to surprise my other half.

Posts: 2 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Jun 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've watched it a few times..... not anymore... took it off my Tivo. I can't imagine going out and coming back and someone else had designed any room in my house without my input.... the thought gives me chills..... I would blow a gasket..... because of that the show annoys me.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I refuse to allow anyone in my home to do a reno that is as extensive as the ones that I have seen in this show. They will not enter my home no matter what they offer me.

Posts: 4900 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly..... I guess I'm a control freak.... but I need to do my own renovations and decorating.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
It's not a matter of being in control is the quality of the work that you are going to get in that alloted amount of time.

Posts: 4900 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me, its control..... I would kill my husband also, if he let someone come into my house and redo anything.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg 30127:
The show didn't do a thing for me.

I do know that if I had a sign on a door that boldly said, "Do not open - Cats inside", and someone opened it and let one of them out anyway, then I'd make sure the cameraman filmed me FIRING that person on national TV, though.

I suppose they didn't have enough drama for the episode.

Posts: 3395 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw one episode - it was enough. But, what gets me is HGTV is actively promoting renos done "on the sly." In this case, they installed a new gas fireplace during a Friday night dinner.
Now, I am sorry, but in my town even with its budget crunch, you could not pay an inspector to come out and inspect a new gas line in the dark at 9PM on Friday night when it is sleeting.
Like previous posters have said, this show is a lawsuit waiting to happen.
And quite frankly, that would be a show I might actually enjoy watching!

Posts: 82 | Registered: Sep 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post