Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  "Reality" Shows
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Reality" Shows Sign In/Join 
posted
posted May 31, 2013 04:26 PM Hide Post
This show, and all the others on HGTV are OK to watch as long as you know going in that there is nothing real going on in these reality shows. The guests on the show are paid very well,as well as receiving remolding and deco at at DEEP discount. The couples are encouraged to complain and bicker. Every aspect of these shows are scripted and directed. I find it odd that there are folks who feel sorry for the couples on the shows,thinking that they don't really get what they want or the cost is higher then originally quoted.If I were 20 something, like 95% of those featured on these shows,I would LOVE to hit the lottery and get paid to find a house or receive an almost free remodel plus furniture. Look up the info on these shows. There is nothing "Real" about any reality show.

Posts: 24 | Registered: May 15, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
What show are you talking about?

Posts: 777 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
HUH......?

Posts: 7975 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the OP, this is not NEW info.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Southern CA (Southbay) | Registered: Nov 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by santa_fe:
What show are you talking about?

Do I really need to tell ya all that they all fake. But I was talking about HH shows and renovation shows.It really scary to think that some of people don't know that that these shows are all scripted with paid actors.'shiver'

This message has been edited. Last edited by: happyjoker,

posted Hide Post
happyjoker,

Santa_fe asked for a clarification because you were unable to put a sentence together properly so why don't you loose the attitude.

I'm sure the entire hgtv viewing audience is suddenly screaming....

"WHAT!! We aren't watching documentaries??" Eek

Posts: 208 | Registered: Apr 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you run out of arguments,insult their grammar.

posted Hide Post
Or spelling.

posted Hide Post
Where did you get your information that these are all actors?

Posts: 6771 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My bad. I clearly have no business posting my opinion on a forum where folks confuse actors with the roles they play.Bye bye ya all.

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
Geez. Start a post with "This show" with no reference to a specific show, and then get snippy because I asked which show.

Thanks, shaunro.

Goodbye, "happy" "joker".

Posts: 777 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CC-IMO
posted Hide Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...-hgtv_n_1592900.html

http://www.matt-gibson.org/hou...nal-is-fake-so-what/

yeah so-what? all I want is the inside of beautiful homes,the scenery,the beaches and the lovely towns and countrysides, everything else is just not that important

its a lovely distraction LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CC-IMO,

Posts: 655 | Location: USA | Registered: Jul 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Renovate to Rent is a show I could literally tear apart in a debate with anyone in about five seconds. Number one question that is not broached...Where does the money come from to continue buying houses and do the renovations? If these guys continued to do this owning 50 property's with an average of $15K a year in profit from each property.......they would soon enough be broke. This is REALITY TV. This is entertainment. I can also tell you without any question that HGTV is on this board prodding questions and posting false positives. That is just the way this works in 2013. Anyone can read my background from my previous posts.

Honestly, I think I should go into the Reality TV business and put these fools out of business, but I'm making too much money in real-estate the right way, and that has nothing to do with anything even remotely seen on any of these disingenuous absurd shows.

Reality Television Is Not Reality It Is Entertainment.....Beware!

Posts: 7 | Location: New England | Registered: Jun 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why are you using the identical post just about every time?

Posts: 6771 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by happyjoker:
My bad. I clearly have no business posting my opinion on a forum where folks confuse actors with the roles they play.Bye bye ya all.

So it was opinion, not verifiable fact you were posting.

Most of us on the boards know that there is little reality in reality tv, so for all your attitude you were preaching to the choir.

As for paid actors, I take exception to that opinion. On the HH, at least of old, they are not paid. They actually are purchasing a home, just not on air as presented.

Posts: 3412 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
Paid actors??? Eek

A woman several blocks from me was on HH and she isn't an actor. She was also on an episode of "HH, Where Are They Now" as were many other owners and we saw the updates to their homes.

Posts: 7975 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is to clarify my comment about paid actors. Everything on these shows is scripted or fake(agreed?)The people are compensated for being on the show (agree?) The people on the show are paid to act a certain way,therefore they are paid actors.Is there a flaw in my logic?

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
Geez Louise, At most they might get help with closing, but appearing on a reality show does not make a person an actor.

Just as posting on a message board does not make a person a writer.

Posts: 3412 | Location: Coastal SC | Registered: Jan 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess I will agree to disagree. To me if a person is told what to say and faking what is gong on, then that person is acting. Not sure why ya all are so upset to think what going on is fake and scripted for entertainment. I guess that's why "reality" shows are so popular,ya think the people on the shows are acting the way people really act .

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guess I will agree to disagree. To me if a person is told what to say and faking what is gong on, then that person is acting. Not sure why ya all are so upset to think what going on is fake and scripted for entertainment. I guess that's why "reality" shows are so popular,ya think the people on the shows are acting the way people really act .

Well, I gotta hand it to you, you're persistent. Your writing has improved, unfortunately your reading comprehension has not. From your comments you use a much lower threshold to describe acting than I do.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Charming,

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
The only thing that always surprises me, in any of these shows is the ignorance displayed by many of the individuals. Is as if they were told to act stupid and to ask very incredible questions. Or are they really the way that we all see them?

Posts: 4914 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is part of the criteria to post comments a the requirement to fancy yourself a writer. I am not a writer nor pretend to be. I thought ya just had to watch HGTV now and then.Yes I am persistent.

posted Hide Post
Rker, I doubt if these people are as bad as they seem. Put me in front of a room full of people and I babble and repeat myself a lot ( that is AFTER a public speaking class). I can only image what it would be like with a camera. Especially if you are told just in general to remark on something. Despite the op insistence of otherwise, there have been plenty of interviews that state the people are just told to comment. I agree some seem like idiots but I doubt I would do better.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by metwo:
Rker, I doubt if these people are as bad as they seem. Put me in front of a room full of people and I babble and repeat myself a lot ( that is AFTER a public speaking class). I can only image what it would be like with a camera. Especially if you are told just in general to remark on something. Despite the op insistence of otherwise, there have been plenty of interviews that state the people are just told to comment. I agree some seem like idiots but I doubt I would do better.

Metwo, you have no idea! I have had to do local television to advertise fund raisers we have and just FREEZE! With the deer in the headlights look. Not a good feeling.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I guess that what you are both saying is that the mayority of the people portrayed in these programs freeze?

Posts: 4914 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

And you are still here because.....??

Posts: 113 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't resit the level of delusion and denile on this site. Makes for great posts on my Facbook page.My followers love it.

Picture of Charming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can't resit the level of delusion and denile on this site. Makes for great posts on my Facbook page.My followers love it.

I'm sure your mom and dad enjoys your nonsense. I think for delusion and denial with a heavy dose of self grandeur you should look no further than the nearest mirror.

When will I ever learn? Charming walks away from this silliness shaking her head.

Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:

What grade are you in?

posted Hide Post
Charming, I'm with you. I think it's one of those situations where if you ignore it long enough it goes away.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Mar 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Reality shows are really a misnomer, They are not really real, if they are not scripted, then should be. They all have one thing in common, a very serious amount of drama. Now, if that is not scripted and we have as many have said too many frightened people in front of a camara, how do they do it?

Picture of DeadMarilyn
posted Hide Post
Followers? LOL!!!

Posts: 198 | Registered: Aug 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post