Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Rehab Addict
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rehab Addict Sign In/Join 
Picture of Ohsquared
posted
This is is the show featuring Nicole Curtis, the realtor/ rehab addict from Detroit, who rehabs historic homes. It originally aired on DIY, but HGTV airs it early Saturday morning.

It would be interesting to see Mike Holmes inspect one of her finished projects. She's definitely not afraid to get dirty, but her techniques are questionable.

Posts: 81 | Location: Gig Harbor, WA | Registered: Nov 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Her home town is Detroit but she lives and works in Minneapolis.

Posts: 342 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do you think her methods are questiohable? She always mentions inspections from the building dept. I really enjoy her restoration of the old homes and using as much reclaimed material as possible. She shows what is possible if you are willing to hunt down and refurbish old building materials. This show is a hit.

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've watched tons of her shows on the DIY network. Not that a man needs to affirm that she's doing a good job, but Mike would give her an A+. She is incredibly knowledgeable and knows what she's doing.

Posts: 49 | Location: To chat about shows | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mary J
posted Hide Post
I enjoy watching her on DIY. I love the fact that she seems to very rarely take a sledge hammer to everything.

Posts: 5172 | Location: Cornfields of Indiana | Registered: Sep 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Belstone
posted Hide Post
I enjoy her projects, but she's obnoxious in the extreme. She hasn't made any new shows lately? I've only seen a couple of houses she's done.

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain**

Posts: 3637 | Location: Here, by the grace of God... | Registered: Jan 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JeanQ
posted Hide Post
I love Rehab Addict. I think Nicole is so cute and I love how she restores those old homes. Nicole reminds me of Reece Witherspoon, one of my favorite actresses.

I guess I was wrong. There have been no more new shows. It was just wishful thinking on my part. I still can't understand why they would cancel their best show.

Posts: 17 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: Feb 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeanQ:
I love Rehab Addict. I think Nicole is so cute and I love how she restores those old homes. Nicole reminds me of Reece Witherspoon, one of my favorite actresses.

I don't think they have cancelled- she has doen 3 seasons
the first house I don't remember the street - the Minnehaha house and her third season on DIY where she does 2 individual projects and 2 entire houses. All are owned by other people.

Posts: 342 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: Dec 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched the same shows for 2 months now, I'm tired of the re-runs.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jan 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw this show for the first time a month ago and decided to set the DVR to catch all the episodes. I actually really like this program and I love that Nicole is restoring old homes and trying to bring them back to their former glory. I really like the idea of recycling, restoring, reusing in interior design so this is right up my ally. I hope HGTV adds more programs like this. I really don't care for shows like Millionaire Contractor and I cringe when I watch an interior design program and it shows them doing something like tearing out perfectly good wood floors without even trying to salvage them for reuse on another project. I hope HGTV shows more programs like this. The new episode this week of Property Brothers was great too. I love that the homeowners really wanted to salvage as much as possible and this went against the designs which were to completely rehab the place. I think the end result was a beautiful home with lots of character.

Posts: 84 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ohsquared:
... but her techniques are questionable.

I'd be interested in why you question her techniques.

I wonder how much time Nicole puts into these rehabs. Seems like a lot. Then you see that she has a son to take care of and does the triathlon (or some such thing) as well, which requires training. Looks like she gets in weight training as well. Maybe her days are longer than 24 hours.

Posts: 775 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She says she is almost finished with another season- and her tweets indcate she may be living in a new house.

posted Hide Post
I have watched this show a couple of times and really enjoy it. I like the fact that she gets in there herself and isn't afraid of getting dirty. Something tells me she is a "what you see is what you get" kind of person and that is very refreshing. I hope she continues to rehab the old houses.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She is living in the Minnehaha house now!

posted Hide Post
Where did you hear she moved into the Minnehaha house? I saw the show where she sold the Minnehaha house to a single guy with three kids. I also remember her saying she hoped he'd call her. Interesting Smile

I agree with Jean that she looks like Reece Witherspoon.

Posts: 49 | Location: To chat about shows | Registered: Jun 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I also like this show a lot, she spends the required time to do all the renovations. which tells me that she is concientious as to the work done.
I hope to more of her. And on the Minnehaha house If I remember correctly she spent less than 100,000 on that home, and it is a 4000sq feet home. very well done reno.
Wish that Property Brothers would see that program also. LOL

Posts: 4900 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of talkingrose
posted Hide Post
This is one of my favorite shows, for all of the reasons mentioned.

I confess, I wondered how she was able to do "everything" too, but it works for some people.

I have watched every episode at least twice and nostalgia warmly envelopes me. I have lovingly thought of my grandmother's house each time I view those old houses.

Posts: 530 | Registered: Aug 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love Rehab Addict and what Nicole does to restore these grand lady's to their former glory. She is an inspiration to me. I'd like to see her have her own show board. Several other shows do, where is hers?

Posts: 3 | Location: River Falls, Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rehab Addict isn't on HGTV anymore, at least where I live (Colorado). It got bumped by that handyman show a few months ago and never came back. So I watch it on DIY, where they keep showing reruns from last year. I hope her new season kicks off soon! I just bought a 1918 Craftsman home, and would love to find someone with her kind of aesthetic to re-design and re-do my bathroom...

posted Hide Post
Saw a back to back Rehab Addict last night. I enjoyed her short renos. She kind of grows on you. Or she has me. Miss seeing her on Sat mornings. Hope they carry her shows now.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like this show. I hope HGTV moves it over from DIY network.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best hgtv/diy show out there. Great camera work and Nicole is great on camera. Her rehab and decorating is top notch.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched Rehab Addict at 8:00 and 8:30 on HGTV and they are last seasons shows!!! Why is HGTV running last years shows? I want to see season three. I love all of Nicole's work but I'd like to see season three on HGTV. We are lucky enough to get DIY on Dish Network on the package we have but now everyone can. Please run season three on HGTV. I'd like to see them on Saturdays as well for those days when I can not watch on Thursday nights. I watched the first episode of season three on DIY tonight and it was great. The bathroom came out great and the Dollar house is going to be so cool. I love that the neighbors are pitching in to help. I am learning so much from watching you Nicole! Thank you! I'm proud to be a Midwesterner! Big hugs!!! Nellie Moore

Posts: 3 | Location: River Falls, Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsunny99
posted Hide Post
I'm really late in watching this show! Just catching an episode tonight on HGTV and I am really enjoying it. I love old houses and I think its great that she really gets down and dirty in fixing them up. Can't wait to see more eposides!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Anchorage, AK USA | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm really late in watching this show!

Maybe the lack of scheduling is the problem! Shhh

I caught it last night too. Really enjoyed her.

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has become my favorite show. I've been watching it on DIY network. They showed the first episode of season 3 last week. I loved how she and her friend removed the old 60's bathtub and took it to a recycling center. So different from a show that I had watched a few days before where the guys all took sledge hammers to the tub and smashed it to pieces. Such a waste. When I remodeled my 1964 bathroom I gave my pink cast iron tub to a community garden where it is now a vegetable washing station. My pink sink now lives down the street in a neighbor's garden as a funky planter. I love how Nicole uses recycled cabinets and reclaimed wood floors and anything she takes out goes to a recycling center. I wish more design shows had the host and workers doing this instead of completely destroying everything.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jun 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregongirl:
This has become my favorite show. I've been watching it on DIY network. They showed the first episode of season 3 last week. I loved how she and her friend removed the old 60's bathtub and took it to a recycling center. So different from a show that I had watched a few days before where the guys all took sledge hammers to the tub and smashed it to pieces. Such a waste. When I remodeled my 1964 bathroom I gave my pink cast iron tub to a community garden where it is now a vegetable washing station. My pink sink now lives down the street in a neighbor's garden as a funky planter. I love how Nicole uses recycled cabinets and reclaimed wood floors and anything she takes out goes to a recycling center. I wish more design shows had the host and workers doing this instead of completely destroying everything.

So true! So much better than having reusable items ending up in a landfill. Nicole is quite the shining example for the tear down phase of the project, since you rarely see this on other remodeling shows.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jan 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly elfie. We already have way too much in our landfills. It doesn't make sense to destroy perfectly reusable items. I love watching Salvage Dawgs on DIY also. They pull out all the beautiful doors, windows, mantles, fixtures etc. from houses and hotels that have fallen into disrepair and are going to be wrecked. It's crazy that some people would not even consider saving all those beautiful pieces, especially since the craftsmanship is so unbelievable. You just can't find craftsmanship like that these days. Plus, you're preserving a piece of history and that's always a good thing.

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jun 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's inspiring to me. I love that she bought a $1 house in Minneapolis and redid it from bottom to top. Part of her motivation for saving/renovating that house was to help revitalize the surrounding neighborhood. And she had the neighborhood behind her all the way. They volunteered to help her paint and landscape and all kinds of things. This project brought the whole neighbohood together and that's very cool to me.

posted Hide Post
I like this show. She has more energy than anyone I've seen but she isn't obnoxious or pretentious. She's real. Something lacking in most HGTV shows. I suppose that means they'll cancel it.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of annie17
posted Hide Post
I like it too. Now that I can find it I hope they will leave it alone.

Posts: 7968 | Registered: Jul 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pluses are the passionate reuse or materials, willingness to get dirty and do the work, and relative detail. But I have concerns that some safety issues should at least be stated to keep inexperienced viewers from getting in trouble. Just about all of that old vinyl flooring and the black mastic has asbestos in it. A lot of the old plaster wall materials and heating ducts do to. The old paint is lead based and the Feds have specific methods for dealing with it that she is not using. The cheap paper masks she uses are not doing her, or the others, lungs any good. I've done a lot of work in Minnesota (commercial) and was surprised to see unreinforced masonry walls supporting two stories. Also thought it odd that the plumbing inspector did not require an air pressure test before going live.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Mar 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We like this show in our house. I herald anyone willing and able to save these old homes, and not just renovate them any old way. Her style isn't for everyone because she doesn't over restore and leaves things naturally distressed.

I happen to like her appreciation of the old and the used,plus she is a major recycler, and provides a lot of money saving ideas.

I wish there were more shows on HGTV that would help inspire DIYers.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
I like that she wears the same t-shirt a lot, as if she's a no-waste kind of person in her private life, too.

Posts: 775 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AKsunny99
posted Hide Post
I love the new episodes of the $1 house. Now that the basement and kitchen are done, can't wait to see the rest of the house!

Posts: 3071 | Location: Anchorage, AK USA | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bump up for Rehab Addict tonight, I love this show, I also agree that it's nice to see someone saving and restoring parts of a house instead of just tearing everything up is sight. Also love these Dollar House shows they are showing now.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like this show, like Nicole. I will say the side yard of the dollar house looked like poor art students throwing a keg party. Not my thing at all.

Posts: 1734 | Location: Morristown | Registered: Jun 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles D:
Like this show, like Nicole. I will say the side yard of the dollar house looked like poor art students throwing a keg party. Not my thing at all.

I didn't care for the fence. The other features like the patio and table were pretty good. Missed the earlier episode where she showed the inside. Maybe she will next week. I like it that she renovates older homes that have or had character!

Posts: 90 | Registered: Jan 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post