Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Shows
Hop To Forums   Favorite Shows
  Where did the real HGTV Go ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where did the real HGTV Go ? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Old Tennessee Flipper
posted
Back when HGTV first came on cable, my wife and I had never attempted what is now known as flipping. We started flipping before it existed, thanks to HGTV. The shows were reasonable. How to fix things, painting and changing an entire look. And of course, you could always do it in 30 minutes ! We jumped in and bought the worst house in the best neighborhood. One time we did it for profit, once for our dream home. We made 35K on the flipper and I owe HGTV the credit for the success. The dream home burned and being that we are older and totally on Social Security, the days of doing anything else is gone.
Where did all the shows go ? My wife dearly loved the shows where you took what was in your house, re-arranged it and it looked new. The decorating shows gave her ideas and she has always had a natural knack at decorating, she went over the top. Friends begged her to come help them do their homes. All this because of the basic shows.
Quite Frankly, I am going to give my opinion,
1.How many people can relate to someone spending 1 Million on their next frigging vacation home.
2. How many of us can enjoy watching people fuss about their next choice.
3. I am offended by the Gay rights buying homes together being shoved down my throat, over and over. My 5 year old granddaughter asked me why the two men were holding hands in their home. sorry
4. It would be so interesting to see a show that is targeted to those of us that are broke. How we can improve our homes with no money.

Go back to what made HGTV different, I am not interested in how the wealthy live, period,

Posts: 1 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: Feb 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Too bad for you and your narrow-mindedness. Everyone doesn't share your outlook or the same old shows would still be drawing a large enough audience. HGTV has never had more viewers than they do today. If you don't know how to have a conversation with a five year old, you won't find the answer on any television show at all.

Posts: 735 | Registered: Jan 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Disregarding of whatever you may think of gays buying homes, the issue here is the lack of programming that we all seemed to like and that we all miss.
Unfortunately, I guess that you and I belong to a demographic (20-49) that HGTV doesn't care at all any longer. They think that those younger individuals are the ones that they should market for. I happen to believe that they are full of BS. That generation, if it has more money are not going to sit down (they all have carrers) and are too busy to watch HGTV as much as the older generation> All of this came about with the housing boom, but that is over, Perhaps they will understand that is not getting them any more viewers.

Posts: 4910 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But what you're not considering, 321, is that the advertisers pay the freight and they would rather pay the same money for a million 35 year olds as for a million and a half 55 year olds. The market drives programming and it always will.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
If I am understanding you correctly, I guess that the marketing companies, regard a 35 year old a more lucrative client than a 55 year old? even if they don't see their programs because of time constraints.?
I consider many of those women to be not only highly educated but quite discerning in their taste, I am over 55 and the absurdity of many of those programs like Love it or List it, Property Brothers would drive me up a wall. So how do they account for that demographic to be so important to them?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rker321,

Posts: 4910 | Location: 0 | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ryker, that is a question that I would like the answer to. What is it about that young adult age group that is so important to advertisers?

Are they easily influenced? Do they spend money without thinking? What is it that the advertisers think?

Posts: 6754 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the old HGTV as well. Where are the design shows? It seems like the network has lost focus. Shows like Design on a Dime, Decorating Cents as well as designer specific shows were informative and entertaining. Now it's about the lifestyles of the rich and famous.

I am also on social security, but gays on the network is fine. As a matter of fact, gays are often successful and talented designers. It could have been a "teachable moment" for the grandchild.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jul 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the demographic differences can be googled in detail, but the most important thing to advertisers is to make contact with people who pay money for products in their category. Most people in their thirties and forties are in two income families. Many of them are setting up and improving homes. They are the target audience because they spend money in the category, not because of judgements they make about the shows.

posted Hide Post
I guess because I watch so little HGtV that I do not remember what is advertised there. And ,of course, I know the ads are king. That is what runs all of TV.

If I turn it on again will have to note the ads.

Posts: 6754 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
I guess that I must be the exception to the rule, I have always been in a constant flux of updating my house, and spending money on whatever home I happen to be. I sort of diverge with you on the fact that that demographic spends more money than the older viewers, They have children, they have college funds, they have expenses that we don't have any longer and our salaries are probably at the peak of our carrers I sincerely believe that we have more expendable income than any two family breadwinners that have tons of priorities than we don't have or the money to do it.

posted Hide Post
Go to this comment section and make a comment directly to HGTV. Another poster said these comments are passed on. I just came back to the website to do this, and I encourage everyone to do the same. I used to love HGTV so much! Now I HATE it!

http://www.hgtv.com/contact-us/package/index.html

Posts: 4 | Registered: Feb 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
As you can see for the amount of posts that I have since I joined this message board, I cannot remember the amount of times that I have posted my views to HGTV, but they are not obligat4ed to respond, and never have. And as you can see It really hasn't done any good at all. The only thing that they will respond to, is lack of viewership,

posted Hide Post
And that, they don't have.

posted Hide Post
I have just one question. Why are there no gardening shows on Home/GARDEN tv? There are none listed in the tv line up at all. I like the gardening much more than the real estate stuff.

sybil williams

Posts: 1 | Location: north carolina mountains | Registered: Feb 22, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
If you find or get an answer from them, please let us all know.

posted Hide Post
I miss the old HGTV, too. I am a realtor and an interior designer, but I love the design shows most and am sad to see how few are on any more. There are only so many episodes of rigged House Hunters that I can watch.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of santa_fe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Old Tennessee Flipper:
3. I am offended by the Gay rights buying homes together being shoved down my throat, over and over. My 5 year old granddaughter asked me why the two men were holding hands in their home. sorry

Very funny. I wonder what a "Gay rights" looks like? Couldn't have told your daughter, "Because they like each other?" I mean really, it's not that hard. Kids will absorb as much as they can; this would not be a "birds and the bees" conversation, for goodness sake, she's only 5.

OTF, have you seen "Beachfront Bargain Hunt?" Now there's a show for regular people. While it's true, these are people who are generally (if not always) looking for a getaway home, they definitely tolerate ordinary-looking kitchens (sans granite); a family of six sharing one bathroom; a husband and wife with four children--2 boys and 2 girls--the youngest ones probably no less than 16, purchasing a 2-bedroom home; buyers who are happy to have white appliances.

The other day on the treadmill at the gym, I was giving someone the lowdown on the channels. "TV Land is channel ___, CNN is channel ___, and House Hunters is channel 53," I said. I automatically called the network "House Hunters"!

Fortunately for me, one who likes the fix-it shows, there's DIY.

Posts: 776 | Location: Plano, Texas | Registered: Oct 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been an HGTV fan for years but agree that the programming is getting away from what I have always liked about the shows. Love It or List It is so contrived that I refuse to watch it. Please get back to the decorating shows that made the network popular.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 24, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just know that I'm getting sick and tired of back to back reruns of "Love It Or List It". The shows are always the same - homeowner ends up screwed out of a big chunk of their reno dollars because of the designer/project manager's (Hilary?) incompetence over some "unexpected" expense. But, there's always room in the budget for tons of decorative doodads. Who wouldn't want an $500 ceramic rooster for their kitchen counter rather than a second toilet in their home? This used to be my fav channel - but they're losing me a viewer. Shows like "selling NY" and "selling LA" were nice but they seem to have disappeared. Oh well, lots of other channels to pick from.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with all who miss the "old HGTV" shows. The only reason that I can think that HGTV doesn't want to air them anymore is that their favored demographic isn't interested in "Doing It Themselves", they want someone to do it for them. They are quite content to sit back and give the orders for someone else to make their dream come true.....sounds a lot like the society we live in these days. Fortunately, those of us who want to "Do It Ourselves" can turn off the repeat shows and find some blogs on-line that do what the old shows used to. One hope, maybe since Nicole Curtis' show is doing so well they will actually realize that those of us over 50 do spend money. One more thing, Chuck Steak, relax !

Posts: 2 | Location: Gardners, PA | Registered: Mar 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm plenty relaxed. I'm not among those getting all wound up with the programming changes that have evolved at HGTV. Just trying to put things in perspective for those who seem to forget that the entertainment business is, in fact a business. The business implications are what draw the programming in one direction or another. This network has never been more productive for its owners than it is now. Why would it change?

In fact, by law the directors of a company have a legally mandated fiduciary responsibility to the owners to maximize profits. They couldn't change back to less productive scheduling without being vulnerable to lawsuits. Again, these are business decisions that people should not take personally.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
If I understand you correctly, Chuck, what you are saying is that the present program format, represents what "their viewers want" Is that correct?
Therefore, we all have to accept that this viewership, is the type of viewership that likes, reruns. Irrealistic renovation programs. that, they like programming that actually makes no economic sense as to the amount of their renovations? Isn't that attitude in a way underestimating and disrespecting the intelligence of their viewers?
Business is what you mention, what to me is not imaginable is, to what they actually think that this demographic really wants to see.

posted Hide Post
I ask the same question daily as I see the same real estate shows played over and over again. I cannot stand the Property Brothers and Love it or List It one more hour! I dearly miss the real designers who have inspired me for years; Candice Olson, Sabrina Soto, Genevieve Gorder, Taniya Nayak. If HGTV wants to highlight real estate shopping in other countries, and islands that most cannot afford, then buy another channel and call it HGTV Real Estate - but give us back our quality designers.

Posts: 16 | Location: USA | Registered: May 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cindy1351 - Thank you for the info on where to post our comments. I am going there next.

Posts: 16 | Location: USA | Registered: May 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
By the way, they won't answer to any of the comments that you post. but instead they will send you a letter with a promotion for their magazine.

posted Hide Post
That's ok. At least it is a venue to give your opinion that hopefully will be heard. Thanks for letting me know.

posted Hide Post
It's very simple, rk. Today's programming delivers more viewers in the targeted demographic than the older schedule did. The company doesn't just "think" this, they have research programs that prove it. Management fully understands that they cannot make everyone happy and some will not accept it and will "vote with the remote".

Picture of mriley
posted Hide Post
Dreaming Designer and Cindy1352, The link given earlier connects you to the page to get to the "Live Help/Chat Line". This Line is available Mon/Fri from 9am to 5pm ET. When they are available there is a little green box located above the email form. You click on that and they only ask for your name and email address. The ladies there will try to answer your questions and they send your message on to the proper department. Sometimes I find the green box is not there and I just try later.

I use this line to tell them what shows I like; ask questions about when or if shows are coming back. I also report spam to this line.

I realize that this is not a perfect way to get your message across, but I do believe it is the best way possible for now. This is just my opinion. I hope you will try the above connection.

If you forget the link connection, you can go to the first page of the Message Board; Click on "Favorite Shows." In the paragraph at the top of the page there is a link listed. "Viewer Services Department"
Clicking on this will take you to the same place as the earlier link. Marylee

UPDATE: I also realize that the Message Board posters represent a very small segment of viewers of HGTV, but I still try and doing so helps a little with my frustration.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mriley,

Posts: 1469 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Aug 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I have no doubt that what you state is what is supposed to be. But, unless I have some sort of facts behind your theory, I have to believe that perhaps things don't happen the way you think that they should.
They probably make tons of money with their magazine subscription. and other venues. but I still think that they either underestimate their viewership or their viewership is not what I thought that this demographic is all about.

Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
Ok let's have some facts.
http://www.nationaltvspots.com/ntvs-networks
If you click on this link you will see the HGTV Demographics, which has the median age as 49. so not that young to begin with.
Now, another thing that I like to point out is their Highlights. As you all can see. most of the programs that they list are no longer seen on HGTV. So if this is their marketing Data, what makes you think that they are really paying any attention to their viewership
Please, click at the top of the page to see the HGTV data.
Actually if you try to find any recent demographics data for HGTV you will see that apparently there is none.
Found some stats for 2014.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.c...weekend-ever/233007/
This page clearly state that the viewership of HGTV is very high on weekends only. no apparent date of weekdays. now here the demographic is from 29-54

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rker321,

posted Hide Post
I would love to know where the real HGTV has gone because it currently stinks. I am in the demographics for age range but am so unsatisfied with this network. I originally started watching this show years ago in order to help give me ideas of decorating on a budget. I now, many years older am still looking for similar programming and find nothing on HGTV anymore. Where are all the designers? Where are the decorating shows? I think if I never saw another Love or List it again I would be elated!!!! Why do you play the same shows over and over?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rker321
posted Hide Post
If you care to follow the links that I have posted in my previous post, you will see, that they are raving about their weekend ratings. and of curse, that would make sense.
Most of those viewers and working women with children. and please tell me, what if any of those women would actually come home from work and turn on HGTV in the middle of the evening week. to see any of its programming.?
Saturday mornings are usually when they probably have the most viewers, after all, what's on at that time? very little competition if you ask me.
I would love to see their rating from Monday thru Friday. I bet those stats would actually tell a different story.
Obviously they are happy and content with not having to change their programming. that is probably saving them a ton or money.
Also, on my first link, you will see that they base their popularity on many programs that have actually ceased to exist.

posted Hide Post
In a moment of frustration I posted on Facebook on the HGTV Facebook Program page my disappoint over the CONSTANT replaying of Property Bros & Love It/List It. Surprisingly they didn't remove my post. I received some "likes" and also other comments in agreement.
If those on here who are interested in voicing concern thru another avenue go to Facebook and also post concerns, maybe them they will pay attention. Lets inundate them with requests for a change. I attached the link to my post here. Don't know if it will work but wanted to try. Let's see what we can do!!

https://www.facebook.com/HGTV/posts/10152156648559213

posted Hide Post
Please remember "Design Shows" cost lots of money to produce. You have the cost of labor and materials. "Real Estate Shows" are dirt cheap to make just follow some people around looking at houses. (By the way if you didn't know the people have a contract on the house they buy already then they pretend to be interested in two other houses on "House Hunters") So the whole thing is fake it is just for the viewers to guess which house not the people on the show. It is all bottom line. Then we have the new wave of psudo design/real estate shows "Love it or List it" but there the people have to put up the money for the reno. Again it is so faked with the "crisis" every episode and the people are told to ramp up their disgust with the house David takes them to or the "weekly problem" going on in the reno. Any designer as incompetent as Hillery would never find work. Any real estate agent would never put up with the crap the people put David through. So HGTV is a sinking ship trying to appeal to the people some focus group told them to go after and the kind of "fake reality" show that group loves to watch. I miss all the old design shows that you could actually learn something from. How many of the "Design Star" winners ever really get their own show? Only David Bromstat and Kim Miles after that none did beyond six episodes and some even less.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Sep 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post